BlizzCon 2014 - Information!

(Sticky)

Community Manager
Greetings fellow adventurers!
We're proud to announce BlizzCon 2014, taking the Anaheim Convention Center by storm Nov 7 - 8.
Ticket sales will be on May 7 and May 10 through the online event ticket service Eventbrite.
For more information about the announcement and ticket sales: click here.
Edited by Phenteo on 5/9/2014 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm a little bit concerned (when I probably shouldn't be?) about the change to using Eventbrite to purchase tickets...

Last year and the year before, your ticket sales process was straightforward and easy: log in, click button to purchase ticket(s)/enter queue, see position in line (4500+ = most likely not going to get a ticket, etc.), pay, done.

With Eventbrite, are we going to have a similar process of logging in and seeing our position in a queue? Will we be able to change our ticket quantity before making the final "Purchase" click? It looks like we'll probably have to create a whole new account on Eventbrite's site, right?

Sorry for the sudden questions but it seems like a really odd change: previously you handled it internally and now you're passing off the process to a 3rd-party site.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
We'll definitely be posting a How-To Eventbrite for BlizzCon tickets. The process should be smoother and update more quickly, as to why we selected Eventbrite.
Reply Quote
I also share this concern. I have attended every BlizzCon since it started. I have seen every way the purchase of tickets have been done over the years, good and bad. I haven't heard of Eventbrite before which worries me. There was a time when BlizzCon ticket sales were outsourced, and it was not a smooth easy purchase. Not saying when Blizz took it over they were all that easy either, I still have screenshots of the "Oops" murloc and the SCV saying site is down, although the last couple years have been a very easy and seemingly flawless system. So now that it is working well, it gets outsourced again? This does not bode well...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
I have had a number of very bad experiences with Eventbrite. This was a very bad idea IMO. :(
Reply Quote
So they confirmed over Twitter that Eventbrite doesn't have a queue system for their purchases. This is going to a cluster this year. Its still early enough Blizz, you guess should pull out and do it yourself like you have been, avoid the problem.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
I'm not sure not having a queue system is really that different. Sure it sells out even faster, but really, they're just speeding up how many people can check out at once. It's not changing how many tickets are available. Assuming their servers are up to the task, it should be a pleasant experience really, without 30 minute queue times.
Edited by Sentynal on 4/23/2014 10:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Sentynal you make a good point about the wait time. And I also hope that their servers are up to the task, Blizz's weren't the first year they took it over. It was crazy how we crashed Blizzards pages trying to purchase that year with the "Oops" murloc. Thats really my worry with Eventbright, I don't want it to become another year remembered as Eventblight.
Reply Quote
I'm personally far more concerned with having nearly a thousand dollars of my hard earned money in limbo for tickets that were already sold to another person due to the servers having an epic aneurysm. Cause let's face it. The server traffic will be huge, and they are likely not prepared.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
Does anyone else think that using Eventbrite was a total fail on the part of blizzard? To save my cc info before the time of purchase I have to purchase tickets to another event OR hope that everyone else that is trying to get tickets to blizzcon is also having to take the time to input cc info. what the heck are you guys thinking?

edit: on a side note after talking to them on the phone they claim to have had traffic loads of over 3million+ at a time as a record high. But I dont think that is going to cut it with this group honestly. I hope blizzard has a contingency plan in place for if this backfires.
Edited by Killjoycmdr on 4/24/2014 7:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Is there any portrait reward (SC2) if i purchase these tickets to blizzconn 2014????
Reply Quote
04/28/2014 10:05 AMPosted by Zigmah
Is there any portrait reward (SC2) if i purchase these tickets to blizzconn 2014????

Much like previous years having portraits, I'm going to say there's a 99.7% probability of a Yes. Alternately, if that's more what you're interested in (depending on how you feel about actually spending the $200 + tax + travel costs), the Virtual Ticket also provides the digital rewards at a cheaper price.
Reply Quote
04/22/2014 12:31 PMPosted by Phenteo
We'll definitely be posting a How-To Eventbrite for BlizzCon tickets. The process should be smoother and update more quickly, as to why we selected Eventbrite.

With only 5 days until the first wave of tickets, I'm curious if this guide is still planned to be made? It would be extremely beneficial to those like me, who are new to Eventbrite and would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
05/02/2014 08:13 AMPosted by XelNaga
With only 5 days until the first wave of tickets, I'm curious if this guide is still planned to be made? It would be extremely beneficial to those like me, who are new to Eventbrite and would be greatly appreciated.

I agree 100%. I want to see how it works properly before the sale date so I know what I'm getting into.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
So apparently Eventbrite is already known very well by the scalpers of the world. They don't even use any form of CAPTCHA when selling tickets, so its mindlessly easy to automate the ticket buying process. Thanks Blizz.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1924548-minecon-scalpers/
Reply Quote
That's what I'm worried about... on the one hand, I hate captchas because I'm partially colorblind and having to enter one would slow me down to the point where I probably wouldn't get tickets... on the other... bots. Either way, I preferred the requirement of having a battle.net account to purchase tickets. I would like to hear how Blizz is addressing the bot issue.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
One reason why we're using Eventbrite is because there is a quick and easy system to help us monitor purchases and be able to take tickets back from scalpers/bots.
Reply Quote
90 Human Hunter
Who is going to perform at the event? Hopefully not a horrible band like last year. The years before were good and the closing ceremony was awesome. Pick a more heavy band this year. I think with most of the wow fans they would appreciate it. If you announced it before the virtual tickets you would probably sell more tickets if the band was kick !@#...

Foo Fighters will be about ready to tour (new album) when blizzcon is happening. So it may make a good fit.. Just saying...
Edited by Tersus on 5/7/2014 4:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/07/2014 03:57 PMPosted by Phenteo
One reason why we're using Eventbrite is because there is a quick and easy system to help us monitor purchases and be able to take tickets back from scalpers/bots.

Where does the line form to thank you guys for this?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Sadly like most others, I clicked asap and sat in the waiting room in "line" for 15 minutes and didn't get a ticket. I read how others had several pages open refreshing eventually got them. Now they are being sold impersonally on eBay! After playing this game for the last 7 years it seems Blizzcon is out of reach for dedicated fans.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]