Helpful Travel Tips (Flying)

92 Human Warrior
I am an Air Canada Elite member with over 43k miles flown last year, here are my Generic "Pro Tips:

1) Pre Flight - If you are flying from outside the US ( International ) be sure to have your Passport and arrive 3-4 hours prior to departure. If you are in the US ( Domestic ) you can fly with just a piece of photo ID like a drivers licence. (At least that's how it works in Canada ) and arrive 1-2 hours prior to departure.

2) Liquids - The maximum quantity of liquids, gels and aerosols permitted in carry-on baggage is 100ml/100g (3.4 oz.) per article. These items must be placed in one clear, closed and re-sealable plastic bag no larger than one litre (one quart). There is a limit of one bag per person, which must be removed from carry-on luggage and placed separately in a screening bin at airport security.

3) Carry on - Air Canada (And most Star Alliance Member Airlines) allows a maximum of one standard article 23cm x 40cm x 55cm weighing a maximum of 10 kg, and one personal article 16cm x 33cm x 43cm weighing a maximum of 10 kg

4) Checked Baggage - Weight and quantity varies on your status with the Airline, I strongly suggest calling and confirming your allowed weight and quantity 1 week prior to departure.

5) Connections - If you have a connecting flight to your final destination you can check your bag straight through to the final destination, just confirm it at check in when you drop it off.

6) Restricted Items - Here is a helpful link with a list of items not permitted on any Commercial Airline
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/security.html?src=rt

7) Getting the best price! - Book in advance, use points ( IE Aeroplan or your Airlines Frequent Flyer
Program). Search near by Airports, sometimes its worth driving an extra hour or two to another airport for a better fare.

8) Lounge Access - If you have a long connecting flight your Airline or Member Airline Lounge is a great place to relax, take a nap and grab some food and a drink. If you have reached an Elite Status with your Airline for flying a certain amount of miles in a calendar year you will be given free access to the Lounge if you are a casual flyer you can usually purchase access for around $85-$100.

9) Getting through Security - Most security checkpoints have a First/Business/Elite Status priority line along with a general boarding line. Have all your electronics out in a separate container (1 laptop per container) have your shoes off, belt off and all metal jewellery removed. Be sure to remove all items from your pockets and be prepared for a random extra screening process. (Usually your choice of full body scan or pat down by an Officer of the same sex)

10) Transportation once you land - I strongly suggest calling 1 month ahead and booking a shared shuttle. It is much cheaper than a taxi and you can get from LAX to your hotel in Anaheim for around $15 each way. You also have a choice of renting a car from around $20-$1500 a day depending on the car and the company, also you must meet specific requirement's in order to rent a car (Age, international licence etc)
Hope these tips have helped and see you at a Blizzcon!
Edited by Kamorove on 5/12/2014 9:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
good post, sticky requested
Reply Quote
92 Human Warrior
Thanks for the Sticky Request Loliberri, glad to help out all those new flyers in there epic journey to Blizzcon!
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Great post! My Dad is in the same boat as you flies twice a month and Super Elite status with Air Canada... wonder if I can steal his card for my trip? :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
I had a nightmare situation at LAX in 2011 where I got strip searched by TSA agents and was treated like a terrorist because I put shaving cream in my carry-on bag by mistake. And I'm Canadian. So if you're flying internationnal, especially from overseas, make sure you pay close attention to what you put in those bags. I will surely do this year... -_-
Reply Quote
92 Human Warrior
05/12/2014 08:28 PMPosted by Ghost
Great post! My Dad is in the same boat as you flies twice a month and Super Elite status with Air Canada... wonder if I can steal his card for my trip? :)

Thank you ! I wish for your sake! But not allowed :( He should have some lounge passes though, if you have a layover somewhere ask !
Edited by Kamorove on 5/13/2014 8:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Another suggestion too: There's a Target approximately 1.5 miles south down Harbor Boulevard, south of Chapman Avenue. For toiletries, if you wish to forgo the hassle of bringing them with you on the plane, you can stop there and pick up the cheap little travel size toiletries.
Reply Quote
92 Human Warrior
Very good suggestion Rikashi, the less you pack the easier travel is!
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
This is a great post! Not only is this my first time going to Blizzcon, but this will also be my first time flying. Any more suggestions regarding the area or that a first time flyer should know?
Reply Quote
92 Human Warrior
Hey Evanora, thanks for your comment! Is there one or two specific things you are concerned about that I might be able to help with?
Reply Quote
92 Human Warrior
Help here!
Edited by Kamorove on 5/21/2014 9:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Human Warrior
Bump for new Flyers!
Reply Quote
92 Human Warrior
Bump :)
Reply Quote
I do wanna make a suggestion. If you can Fly to SNA its like 20 minutes to the convention center. Instead of a possible 30-45 with bad traffic from LAX
Reply Quote
Here's another AC tip:

-If you are flying out from Vancouver, the flights are usually Air Canada Rouge flights which only has 29" pitch instead of the standard 31".
- Bring ear buds instead of headphones. Air Canada does not allow the use of headphones during take off and landing (This is Canadian regulations, not AC)

Other General tip:
- Not every plane will fit your carry-on. Smaller planes like CRJ900 or DH-8 will require plane side check. Make sure you have a smaller bag to carry your valuables.
- If you require a seatbelt extension, you cannot sit in an exit row.
- Some seats have more leg rooms, but may have limited recline, be sure to check Seat Guru before choosing your seat.
- Avoid flying through any of the NYC airports (JFK, Newark, La Guardia). They are plague with delays.
- Stay hydrated in the air.
- Bulkhead seats are great as they give more legroom, but all your belongings have to be stored in the overhead bin.
Reply Quote
92 Human Warrior
Good tips thanks for the add on's !
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]