BlizzCon 2014 Talent Contest – UPDATE!

Community Manager
Prepare yourself for the BlizzCon 2014 Talent Contest! Last year’s contestants proved that Blizzard gamers can bring down the house with amazing performances, and it’s time to seize the opportunity to put a spotlight on you. Can you dance up a storm? Do you have a Blizzard themed stand-up routine that will have them rolling in the aisles? Can you bring the audience to tears with your acting moxie? Does your band play a Blizzard-themed song you can’t wait for the world to hear? Well, we can’t wait to watch you act, sing, dance, and strut your stuff live on stage at BlizzCon 2014!

The sign-up page is currently scheduled to launch on July 3 and we wanted to give you a heads-up so you can begin preparing for this year's Talent Contest. To be considered, you and up to 4 of your friends will need to create a 2-minute video of your Act as you perform your Blizzard-themed talent, and submit it with your entry. Please avoid a lot of post-production work and camera angle shifts though – we want to see your Act as it would be performed on stage!

We’ve also secured the rights to some musical compositions that you can use as part of creating your Act if original songs aren’t your thing. You can view the list of songs below along with some important licensing information you'll need to read carefully:

The music compositions listed below can be used for the BlizzCon 2014 Talent Contest to either create a video submission to the Contest, either as a new arrangement to use in the background of the video submission, or as a Blizzard themed derivative version of one of the compositions for the Contest. Contest submissions featuring these compositions must not contain any offensive material, and can be used solely as part of an entry to the Contest. These compositions may not be used for any other purpose without securing additional licensing.

TITLE - Writer(s)

ACHY BREAKY HEART - Donald L. Von Tress
    I WILL SURVIVE - Dino Fekaris, Frederick J. Perren
    SWEET HOME ALABAMA - Edward C. King, Gary Robert Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant
    WHAT’S YOUR NAME - Gary Robert Rossington
    CREEQUE ALLEY - John Edmund Andrew Phillips, Michelle Gilliam Phillips
    MISSISSIPPI QUEEN - Laurence Laing, Felix Pappalardi, David Rea, Leslie A. Weinstein
    HEARTBREAKER - Geoff Gill, Cliff Wade
    SHAKE YOUR GROOVE THING - Dino Fekaris, Frederick J. Perren
    JESSIE'S GIRL - Rick Springfield
    LOVE SOMEBODY - Rick Springfield
    DEVIL WENT DOWN TO GEORGIA, THE - John Crain, Charlie Daniels, William J. Digregorio, Fred Edwards, Charles Fred Hayward, James W. Marshall
    THAT'S LIFE - Kelly L. Gordon, Dean Kay
    SATURDAY NIGHT SPECIAL - Edward C. King, Ronnie Van Zant
    FOR SENTIMENTAL REASONS - William Best, Deek Watson
    DADDY SANG BASS - Carl Perkins
    ALL OUT OF LOVE - Clive J. Davis, Graham Russell
    MY MARIA - Daniel Joseph Moore, Louis C. Stevenson
    FINALLY - Felipe Trio Delgado, Rodney Kay Jackson, E. L. Linnear, Ce Ce Penіston
    NEW AGE GIRL - Caleb Guillotte
    PULL UP TO THE BUMPER (FUNKSTAR DE LUXE REMIX) - Sly Dunbar, Dana Manno, Robbie Shakespeare
    CARS - Gary Anthony James Webb
    MIDNIGHT TRAIN TO GEORGIA - James Dexter Weatherly
    ROCKY MOUNTAIN WAY - Rocke Grace, Kenneth R. Passarelli, Joey Vitale, Joseph Fidler Walsh
    HIGHWAYMAN - Jimmy Webb
    SECRET AGENT MAN - Steve Barri, P. F. Sloa
    CALIFORNIA DREAMIN' - Michelle Gilliam Phillips, John Edmund Andrew Phillips
    BACKWATER - Curtis Mathew Kirkwood
    WOODY WOODPECKER SONG, THE - Ramey Idriss, George F. Tibbles
    NEW ATTITUDE - Jon Gilutin, Bunny Hull, Sharon Terea Robinson
    NEUTRON DANCE - Danny Sembello, Allee Willis
    SIMPLE MAN - Gary Robert Rossington, Ronnie Van Zant
    MAGIC CARPET RIDE - John Kay, Rushton John Moreve
    BOOGIE FEVER - Frederick J. Perren, Keni St. Lewis
    MICKEY - Michael Donald Chapman, Nicholas Barry Chinn
    LUCKENBACH TEXAS (BACK TO THE BASICS OF LOVE) - Bobby Emmons, Chips Moman
Edited by Crithto on 6/9/2014 10:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I apologize if this is already stated in your post, but I'm not great with legal jargon. Are we allowed to use these songs for the movie contest as well, and if so, can we use them in their original form and not as a derivative version?
Edited by Wisdom on 6/22/2014 7:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
06/21/2014 11:41 AMPosted by Wisdom
I apologize if this is already stated in your post, but I'm not great with legal jargon. Are we allowed to use these songs for the movie contest as well, and if so, can we use them in their original form and not as a derivative version?

No worries, Wisdom. =) These songs are only available for use for Talent Contest entries. For the Movie Contest, you can read the rules here which state:

All music featured in the Movie must either be the entrant’s original musical composition and performance, or music from a Blizzard product
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Talent Contest sign-ups are now open!

http://us.battle.net/blizzcon/en/event-info/activities/contests
Edited by Crithto on 7/3/2014 3:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Mage
I have a question about the songs. When you say we can make a derivative of the works provided, does this mean they can be parodied?

And if so, do we need to use an original backing track for the song or may we used a karaoke track to the song?

I do have another song planned if I am not able to do a parody but thought I would ask anyways. Can't wait for Blizzcon!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]