2013 Unofficial Blizzcon Survival Guide

85 Blood Elf Priest
updated; added Ticket prices and dates, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
So... This is going to be my first blizzcon (been a blizzard gamer since Orc vs Humans... when it was NEW). It is going to be a birthday present from my honey! (she is AWESOME, even though she isn't a gamer). Any how.

I am trying to round up the cost of everything, and while I have the lists on rooms and stuff, I having a hard time to figuring out the best combo of price/distance for hotels, and cost/arrival point combo for travel (I live East coast).
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Excellent write up.

One thing though, Magic Mountain isn't two hours away. Not even close to three. It's about 65 miles from Anaheim and would usually take about an hour and fifteen minutes to get to.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
So... This is going to be my first blizzcon (been a blizzard gamer since Orc vs Humans... when it was NEW). It is going to be a birthday present from my honey! (she is AWESOME, even though she isn't a gamer). Any how.

I am trying to round up the cost of everything, and while I have the lists on rooms and stuff, I having a hard time to figuring out the best combo of price/distance for hotels, and cost/arrival point combo for travel (I live East coast).

Orange County (also known as John Wayne) is the best airport to fly into from the East Coast. Many of the major airlines will fly there and it's much closer than LAX, so you save a significant amount of time getting to the hotel and cost, since you can take a shuttle from Orange County to Anaheim for $10-$15/person. When I've gone from Philly in the past, I've never found there to be a cost difference worth it to fly to LAX.

As for flight costs, it can depend on when you buy and if you have any discount cards. When I've gone in the past, I *think* it ended up costing ~ $350/person for a round trip flight from Philly to Orange County. You need to hit that sweet spot for booking flights - not too early and not too close. Kayak.com and Southwest are your friends.

For the whole cost of the trip, it's cost my husband and I ~ $1500-2000. That includes boarding for our dog, paying for off-airport parking for our car, our flight (which is the bulk of the cost), hotel room, meals, and Blizzcon tickets. That does not include souvenir money.

When we went, since we had to book everything prior to getting tickets, we viewed it as a vacation no matter what. With Disneyland being there, all the parties, and the /sigh, scalpers, we figured we'd have a great time no matter what.

I also *highly* recommend taking advantage of the Blizzcon store online presale prior to going. Not having to worry about making room for goodies makes the trip easier.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
For those with medical concerns (ie need to carry medication and/or appropriate food into the convention center) is there a faq or section that I should look for for that?

(pst @Bluspacecow, poke me on twitter or FB if there's an answer please?)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Balerstos - you must be new around here :) The path to Magic mountain is I-5; going from Orange County, Thru the entire LA county, thru downtown LA and up the mountain into Valencia - I havent done hat trip under 65 minutes and usually get a CalTrans alert somewhere on that trip.. But hey - thats just me :D

Frostburn: I would guess these for prices and adjust as you need- [I am also coming from PHL too :D ]
* Per person: East Coast flight to SNA: $340-$600, depending on your needs/airlines, etc. shop for prices!!
Hotel: $125+ a night. figure 3 nights min. (thurs-sat), plus taxes (15-20%) = $400 on the cheep end & $250/night on the top end gets you close to $900.
Food: $50/ day is what I plan for; 4 days = $200/trip
Transportation to from airport: If you rent you are looking at $25+gas /day for econ car. Taxi back and forth guessing in the $40 range. The shuttle is $15 one way from SNA to Anaheim.
Ticket: $175/person

That will put you at $1200-1400 on the low end and close to $2000 on the top end. There might be ways to save $$, like sharing a room with someone else and shuttle vrs renting a car..etc. I have air mile points so I will be saving $$ there as I wont need to pay for a ticket...etc.
Edited by Leonaidus on 4/17/2013 6:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Elunamakata - I will ask the Devs, Bcon & Anaheim convention center staff; I do not suspect anything strange. If you have a script for your meds then I think it should be fine. I usually take in over-the-counter Motrin & Tylenol in a small case because SOMEONE always gets a headache in our group at some time.. last year it was me :P

As for foods, I will also ask. someone with peanut algeries, etc but you should not have to worry for the most part.
Reply Quote
thanks Leo for the useful informations, especially for over sea attendees like me.
This is my first time and I have not any experience for the Blizzcon, please do answer my questions below:
a. can I use an oversea battlenet account such as Twiwan server to buy tickets? or I have to register an US battlenet account.
b.I can only use Paypal to make payment( 'cause the BN account address and credit card adress mismatch make the Master or Visa payment unavailable),does it really work for using Paypal?
c.What Kind of PHOTO ID should I bring? My passport or my citizen ID card or other format else?really confused about this.
d.any suggestions for car rent company?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
THE DAY BEFORE BLIZZCON: Some things to do after you check into your hotel:
1- PICK UP GOODIE BAG & TICKETS: Get your tickets and goodie bag before the show starts: You will have everything you need when you get in the morning line to go in armed and ready to go. Make your shopping list that night as to which items you want from the store. (see store below)

This is kind of nice to have this done as early as you can. I know there were people getting in line for badge pick up later and pretty much just walked on through but you do run the risk of missing a lot of pre-Blizzcon shin digs that go on around the area.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
04/17/2013 06:44 AMPosted by Leonaidus
Balerstos - you must be new around here :) The path to Magic mountain is I-5; going from Orange County, Thru the entire LA county, thru downtown LA and up the mountain into Valencia - I havent done hat trip under 65 minutes and usually get a CalTrans alert somewhere on that trip.. But hey - thats just me :D

More of a lurker than anything.

I live in OC and have a mom who lives in Valencia. I've made the drive plenty. It all depends on when you head out there. Just don't want people to be discouraged if they like roller coasters. If you want to get anywhere on the freeways, the first tip is to not drive them anytime between 6-8am or 5-7pm. Head out to MM @9am and you'll get there around 10-10:30. Spend the day there and you'll be home at midnight.

Also, I mentioned that it was about 65 miles, not minutes. Shouldn't take any longer than an hour and a half and that's with the regular traffic you'll run into around Burbank and the Orange Crush. Still a far cry from three hours. :)
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Balerstos - I will edit down the times to a realistic time frame, and mention in a better time to leave...

Undermini:
a. can I use an oversea battlenet account such as Twiwan server to buy tickets? or I have to register an US battlenet account.
I would like to think that as long as you can make a purchase on the store site, you can purchase tickets. Try a mock item and see if you get to the checkout today.
I would email/contact the customer service and ask, just incase.

* add credit card, shipping, etc.
* Pick an item, add to cart
* check out and see how far you get if you get to the final screen, then I would like to think you are set. I will look for more official answer shortly.

b.I can only use Paypal to make payment( 'cause the BN account address and credit card adress mismatch make the Master or Visa payment unavailable),does it really work for using Paypal?
Not sure if the store takes paypal, but for Tickets I believe you need a credit card for verification at the convention

c.What Kind of PHOTO ID should I bring? My passport or my citizen ID card or other format else?really confused about this.
Passport is a legal form of ID in the USA. consider bringing a 2nd ID just incase. Anything you get into the USA with should be good for blizzard too..

d.any suggestions for car rent company?
doesnt matter at SNA - all the car places, except Fox (?) are on site across the terminal and can walk from the luggage area to the cars; I use Hotwire and check prices daily. usually you get a good deal 2-3 weeks out of the trip; downside is you pay upfront for the car, buts its usually cheaper than the normal rates.
Reply Quote
[quote="87037575054"]Balerstos - I will edit down the times to a realistic time frame, and mention in a better time to leave...

Undermini:
I would like to think that as long as you can make a purchase on the store site, you can purchase tickets. Try a mock item and see if you get to the checkout today.
I would email/contact the customer service and ask, just incase.

* add credit card, shipping, etc.
* Pick an item, add to cart
* check out and see how far you get if you get to the final screen, then I would like to think you are set. I will look for more official answer shortly.

Not sure if the store takes paypal, but for Tickets I believe you need a credit card for verification at the convention

Thanks a lot, but my payment problem still unresolved.
following accours when i fill in the request:
We were unable to process this transaction online, please select an alternate form of payment and try again. You may also contact Blizzard Support at http://www.battle.net/support/article/contact.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Is there any benefits for those at home that can get the Direct TV promo like they did in 2009?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Shoadowolf - I do not see any reason why they would not give you what they have in the past. I would plan for $40 for the coverage. Each time they did the directTV / stream deal you got:
* 2 days full coverage of the 4 stages
* the Wow ingame item (pet, mount, etc)

My wife got this two times and it looks like she thought it was fine.
you also got to watch everything for the month afterwards, so if you wanted to watch the stream on the contest, a dev panel, etc it was still on the site to watch, which is great for those going to watch the ones you missed... ;)

Internet and Direct TV info: ** 2011 ***
DirectTV
The DIRECTV BlizzCon Pay Per View event will be available to existing DIRECTV customers in the United States for $39.95 USD. The multi-channel Internet stream will be available around the world for $39.95 USD (pricing may vary by region). DIRECTV customers who order the televised event will receive the Internet stream at no extra charge. Those who order the event in either format will also receive this year’s BlizzCon-exclusive World of Warcraft in-game item (availability may vary by region). Complete ordering and programming details will be announced on www.blizzcon.com as the event draws closer.

Internet Stream: [ http://blizzcon.rayv.com/ ]
Those who purchase the Internet stream will be able to switch freely between multiple high-definition channels dedicated to different areas of BlizzCon, allowing viewers expanded access to the panels and events they're most interested in. The four HD streaming channels are:

* Main BlizzCon coverage, including game-related announcements, exclusive interviews, and all main-stage panels
* Stage 2 coverage, including all stage 2 panels and events
* Complete RTS tournament stage coverage, including Warcraft III and StarCraft II
* Complete World of Warcraft tournament stage coverage
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
For those that are not "in the know" about In-and-Out Burger...they have a SECRET menu. I highly recommend getting your burger "animal" style. They also have gluten free burger wraps, veggie style, and a ton of others.

When I first came out west, a buddy of mine told me I HAD to there. I went, ordered off the menu, and it was fairly blah. I told him this and he, essentially, calls me a noob for not ordering off the secret menu.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
i found this. it seemed very interesting to do when going to in and out burger. The Ultimate In-N-Out Secret Menu (and Super Secret Menu!) Survival Guide
http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/03/the-in-n-out-survival-guide-we-ate-every-single-item-on-the-secret-menu.html
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Yes, the Secret menu is good n- I usually go double double animal style, choc shake and anumal fries. The Animal style fries are excellent... and for those that have a larger appetite can go for the 3x3 or 4x4..

they also make Grilled cheese sandwiches which are excellent and very kid friendly too :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Ok for those of us east coasters making the pilgrimage for Blizzcon and also equally as important, in and out burger and possibly del taco... where's the closest ones? Are they walkable?

I'm not kidding about the del taco thing, a cali friend of mine brought me a burrito back once and I swore I'd eat another one.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
There are two Del Tacos about equal distance to the convention center.
1 is on Katella by the I5 freeway - Walk out the convention doors, turn left on harbor, cross over Katella and turn right. Right past Haster St is Del Taco

The other is on Chapman and Harbor - Walk out the door, turn right on harbor and take it down 2 blocks to Chapman, Its next to Big 5 & across the street from Target and the Residence Inn Anaheim hotel.

I LOVE their breakfast burritos :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]