Diablo® III

The Official Auction Hall Removal Discussion

I used capital letters so everyone would know it's official. Everyone is likely aware, but for the fairness of appearing official:

Blizzard has announced the decision to remove the Auction Halls from Diablo 3. No foolsies.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10974978/

This is a significant change that affects all of us. Because of that, it's a major topic of discussion. It's been less than one day and we're already seeing a flood of threads discussing the decision, as well as threads bemoaning the respawning of identical topics.

So help me and the Hardcore community consolidate.

Post your opinions, excitement, suspicions, and concerns. Give your feedback, good or bad, in a constructive manner. Don't be shocked if someone accuses you of wearing a tin foil hat, but try not to take the insults further than that. We're all playing the same game. It's in our best interest that the game become as good as it possibly can.

Several points have been brought up since this revelation. They consist of:

• The future of item trade between players going forward, including the difficulty of trading
  • How this impacts third party sight use and "black market" trading
  • The success of the game hinging on Loot 2.0
  • The value and usefulness of gold in Reaper of Souls
  • A vast discussion on whether this was a good or bad decision
  • Anything else you may be concerned with

• Again, this is a big deal. At minimum, it's a massive shift in design philosophy for the game. A lot of people want to talk about it, so I say we do it within a dedicated thread. With a little effort and thread redirection, we can avoid an avalanche of repetitive threads and engage in some interesting discussion.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    When the AH gets removed, I'll still be playing the game the same way I've always been. Which is actually playing the game.

I play the game and that's what I do. I really like crafting, as I have sidegrades, backups, and alternatives to all of my crafted pieces - so I'm real excited about whatever type of changes and improvements are made toward that, too.

p.s. good to see you back
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    I am looking forward to the changes.

Loot 2.0 seems like it could be a major step in the right direction. While the change to AH does not directly affect me, as I have not used it since starting back up, I do understand the concern that people who used and like the AH feel.

With ladders, AH removal, better chat and clan interface, and some other features shown, it appears Blizzard is returning back to D2 roots to a degree. I am also wondering if the AH removal is a sign that Activisions CEO is losing his power over Blizzard... this decision seems out of character for what he wants from his franchises.

I just noticed the first 3 posters here were here on day 1ish, heh

~Lykotic
    Edited by Proletariat#1585 on 9/18/2013 1:09 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    So much is unanswered its hard to take in the impact this change will bring. It's great meeting people but a lot of times trading player to player is bad experience, like getting jerked around cuz they want extended attention. Stash space huge concern because cant just liquidate replacable but needed items. Cains set/rabidstrike gonna rot on mule possibly as long as i play. Getting another account just No. So with loot2.0 all legends can roll at monster lvls playing on? That much variety will be wonderful experience. Will DE/tomes be useful for ilvl70+ items? Stash space biggest concern i hope blizz more than doubles it but looking like just two more tabs.
    Reply Quote
    When the AH gets removed, I'll still be playing the game the same way I've always been. Which is actually playing the game.

I play the game and that's what I do. I really like crafting, as I have sidegrades, backups, and alternatives to all of my crafted pieces - so I'm real excited about whatever type of changes and improvements are made toward that, too.

I agree, agree, agree. I so rarely used the AH to begin with. I'm hoping that this new loot system is as good as they seem to think it's going to be.

Thanks, man. It's nice to feel excited about this game again :)
    Reply Quote
    View profile

Are you going to be staying on EU or coming back to the NA servers?
    Reply Quote
    09/18/2013 01:06 PMPosted by Proletariat
    With ladders, AH removal, better chat and clan interface, and some other features shown, it appears Blizzard is returning back to D2 roots to a degree.

It really does. The ability to assign stat points via Paragon is a big sign as well. Hopefully that is the case. And of course, there is still Blizzcon. Who knows what else they have waiting. Clearly, Blizzard is not afraid to make significant changes to try and improve this game.
    Reply Quote

Are you going to be staying on EU or coming back to the NA servers?

I imagine I'll be playing in NA again. I still play on EU, but that was more or less to do a reset and really try and enjoy some self-find. It's been fun, but I have so many more friends and resources on the NA side.
    Reply Quote
    09/18/2013 01:11 PMPosted by MrWinkles
    So much is unanswered its hard to take in the impact this change will bring. It's great meeting people but a lot of times trading player to player is bad experience, like getting jerked around cuz they want extended attention.

It's going to be very interesting to see what kind of system they create to facilitate trading. This will be a deal breaker for a lot of people, I think. It needs to be safe, secure, and most of all efficient. Few people will be pleased with the removal of the AH if it means waiting 30 minutes to try and buy some gems.

Stash space huge concern because cant just liquidate replacable but needed items. Cains set/rabidstrike gonna rot on mule possibly as long as i play. Getting another account just No. Stash space biggest concern i hope blizz more than doubles it but looking like just two more tabs.

Stash space will likely increase in RoS, but I don't know if they've said by how much. I'd love more space, but I'm with you, I'm not going to be buying a second account to get it.

So with loot2.0 all legends can roll at monster lvls playing on? That much variety will be wonderful experience. Will DE/tomes be useful for ilvl70+ items?

I'm not sure about how the loot will roll. I do know that the mystic will allow multiple re-rolls, which is nice. It makes the item account bound, but it also gives the chance to make a good item even better. Could possibly serve as a decent gold sink as well.
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    09/18/2013 01:28 PMPosted by BobWitchDR
    mystic will allow multiple re-rolls, which is nice. It makes the item account bound, but it also gives the chance to make a good item even better. Could possibly serve as a decent gold sink as well.

Why do i foresee myself messing up items constantly....

=\
    Reply Quote
    So if this is the official AH discussion do I just ignore the 1,000 other posts dealing with AH removal on these forums?!
    Reply Quote
    09/18/2013 01:58 PMPosted by ScaryGary
    So if this is the official AH discussion do I just ignore the 1,000 other posts dealing with AH removal on these forums?!

op would like you to, bc he is the one who designates official threads. wait, no he isnt?
    Reply Quote
    The auction house is what I used because the drops are crap - I need to fill character inventory maybe 10 times before I find something worth keeping/selling, there are only a few really good crafting options, and there is incredibly limited storage space for 10 characters (that's needs at least 2 more slots). Also there are way to many worthless legendary drops (think frostburn gauntlets) and those need to go away. You shouldn't feel unclean for having even touched a legendary drop.
    Reply Quote
    09/18/2013 01:58 PMPosted by ScaryGary

That's the general idea. It's a way of trying to stay ahead of the curve. This is a big deal. People want to talk about it. Inevitably similar thoughts and ideas will be shared. So is it entirely necessary to create a new thread every time? If you click on the General Forums you'll see the result of no trying to consolidate threads.

09/18/2013 02:09 PMPosted by Dubwise
    op would like you to, bc he is the one who designates official threads. wait, no he isnt?

Obviously, I'm not. This is my attempt at putting in effort to try and improve our small corner of the D3 community. Please don't think that I've decided I'm in the position of tell you where or how to post. That's not the idea. I'm not trying to come off as elitist. The idea is to try and keep things somewhat neat and orderly, so that other threads can breathe and exist without battling spam.

Or you can have a forum that looks like this:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/3354739/
    Reply Quote
    I hope the AH removal comes with better crafting and more storage and drops that aren't awful. I would happily trade the AH for that. However, I suspect the AH is going away because in HC the auction house is still usable, but in SC, it is just stupid. You will never find something in SC better than you can buy for a 10M, which is the equivalent of what, 1/3 of a penny? LOL.
    Reply Quote
    Nicely done Bob.

My current thoughts (in the Official HC thread)...

• The future of item trade between players going forward, including the difficulty of trading

• Too hard too tell, too many unknowns. At the very least... since the HC community is much more tight knit and resilient than the SC community, our economy will survive. Best case scenario, we get a beautiful Bartering Hall that functions like Twister's idea: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10014181457#1

• How this impacts third party sight use and "black market" trading

• Also an unknown, but the 'black market' exists now, and will never cease to exist... look at the longevity of d2jsp. So, I worry not. Along the same lines, scammers exist now, and will always exist as long as there are people who fall for it.

• The success of the game hinging on Loot 2.0

• I can't say the Success or Failure rests on any 1 aspect of the game. But I'm pretty sure 100% of the player base would agree that the current loot system is broken.

• The value and usefulness of gold in Reaper of Souls

• Gheed! I hope to give him a ton of gold.

• A vast discussion on whether this was a good or bad decision

• It was an experiment never attempted before in Diablo, with a RMAH that was controversial. It failed.

• Anything else you may be concerned with

• What's for dinner?
    Reply Quote
    Nicely done Bob.

My current thoughts (in the Official HC thread)...

Too hard too tell, too many unknowns. At the very least... since the HC community is much more tight knit and resilient than the SC community, our economy will survive. Best case scenario, we get a beautiful Bartering Hall that functions like Twister's idea

(won't let me repost the link) You're right in that the HC community will survive this change a lot better than SC. We have a huge advantage in that respect. It's going to be interesting to see what they bring out to allow easy trading between players. If it feels like a chopped down version of the AH, people will just scream for the AH again. If it's something else entirely, it needs to function with reasonable efficiency. Neat idea by Twister.

Also an unknown, but the 'black market' exists now, and will never cease to exist... look at the longevity of d2jsp. So, I worry not. Along the same lines, scammers exist now, and will always exist as long as there are people who fall for it.

100% agreed.

I can't say the Success or Failure rests on any 1 aspect of the game. But I'm pretty sure 100% of the player base would agree that the current loot system is broken.

I say Loot 2.0 will make or break the game only because of the removal of the AH. If the AH system is gone and good gear doesn't drop, this game is severely screwed.

Gheed! I hope to give him a ton of gold.

Yes! I'm very excited about the possibility of gambling again.

It was an experiment never attempted before in Diablo, with a RMAH that was controversial. It failed.

Without getting into the finer details, i agree. I'm glad they tried it out even though I never used it. I'm sure they learned a lot from the attempt and can use that knowledge in the future.

What's for dinner?

Steak and Sierra Nevada Torpedoes. What time you swinging by?
    Reply Quote
    HC is now full of Softcore pussys who never experienced HC d3 pre 1.0.3 inferno nerf, and without all their gear handed to them on a plate.
    Infact why do we still call it hardcore? lets rename it too Softcore 2.0 a little bit more challenging alternative to softcore infact i will go as far as to say any achievements merits bragging rights or notions of accomplishment you guys think you have obtained are all null and void worthless and cheap.

Pre 1.0.3 Master race
    we used to be a glorious community

/thread
    Reply Quote
    It's funny that the Cop is hoping for more storage space and slots for characters. Wants better "drops". Life imitates art doesn't it Cop?
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]