Diablo® III

Tyrael mortal by..

body or soul? I always thought when he die he may not come back but was talking with friend and pointed out he maybe mortal by body only not soul since we can see in the cinematic of RoS his soul color is the same as his wings so MAYBE if he die the crystal may call back his soul to be reborn again and that why we didn't see a new Archangel of Justice. Thoughts?
Reply Quote
His sacrifice, as seen in the 2nd cinematic, doesn't amount to much if he's still able to be reborn via the Crystal Arch. As you mentioned, the RoS cinematic showed us that his soul is still angelic, but his form and body are human. Thus, I think his mortality is permanent.
Reply Quote
09/21/2013 11:06 PMPosted by Wesker
His sacrifice, as seen in the 2nd cinematic, doesn't amount to much if he's still able to be reborn via the Crystal Arch. As you mentioned, the RoS cinematic showed us that his soul is still angelic, but his form and body are human. Thus, I think his mortality is permanent.

Is this really a sacrifice though?

Humans are Nephilim, and with the World Stone having been destroyed...they're only going to increase in power as time transpires. So, if this fall actually turned him human...there's no sacrifice made as he'll ultimately become stronger than his angelic brethren.

With that said, I don't believe he is human.

Humans are the spawn of angelic and demonic hybridization...so Tyrael can't be human as he holds no demonic influence. Fallen Angel would be a far more appropriate term seeing as how he possesses remnants of his former power, and with that said...we don't know if this state of being is permanent. It's possible that by tearing his wings away, he simply weakened himself to mortality and will slowly regain his powers through time.

He could be mortal though, but even then...I'd expect that he'll live for a great many years beyond your typical human.
Reply Quote
09/22/2013 02:34 PMPosted by Tenebrae

Humans are Nephilim, and with the World Stone having been destroyed...they're only going to increase in power as time transpires. So, if this fall actually turned him human...there's no sacrifice made as he'll ultimately become stronger than his angelic brethren.

With that said, I don't believe he is human.

Humans are the spawn of angelic and demonic hybridization...so Tyrael can't be human as he holds no demonic influence. Fallen Angel would be a far more appropriate term seeing as how he possesses remnants of his former power, and with that said...we don't know if this state of being is permanent. It's possible that by tearing his wings away, he simply weakened himself to mortality and will slowly regain his powers through time.

He could be mortal though, but even then...I'd expect that he'll live for a great many years beyond your typical human.

It's a sacrifice in the sense that he gave up immortality. Whether or not he'll become stronger, as you suggested, remains to be seen. I get the feeling from playing the game that he lost his angelic strength and stamina though.
Reply Quote
09/22/2013 02:34 PMPosted by Tenebrae

It is sacrifice it show how far he is ready to go to help mortals even if it mean losing all his powers. I don't think he will become stronger his only power is his sword as it was shown when he battled Malthael.
Reply Quote
Well,

Truth be told, I don't see him as becoming any stronger myself...but that's because I don't consider him to be human. He's simply a fallen angel, and while that leaves a lot of questions regarding his new incarnation...it also shows that he won't grow more powerful alongside the Nephilim because he's simply not one of them, he's not human.

Still, it's possible that he could slowly regenerate his wings and regain his true form through the duration of time. There's nothing yet within the lore that would go against this possibility, but I agree with many here that it would downplay the sacrifice he has made.
Reply Quote
Tyrael or any angel didn't do this before so he don't know what will happen too. If he got back his power, wings and form with time as you say I don't think that will make his sacrifice any less actually that could be better since he will live and keep helping mortals. Who know what will happen if he die there is no other angel willing to do what he did.
Reply Quote
09/25/2013 01:37 PMPosted by Utam
Tyrael or any angel didn't do this before so he don't know what will happen too. If he got back his power, wings and form with time as you say I don't think that will make his sacrifice any less actually that could be better since he will live and keep helping mortals. Who know what will happen if he die there is no other angel willing to do what he did.

Yeah,

It's perfectly possible that he could regain his powers, since we really don't have any other angel who has ever done something like this before. It's possible that they can tear their wings off as many times as they like...and they'll regrow over time. It's also possible that his death, in his current state, would seem like a true death...but simply result in a longer duration before he spawns anew due to the weakened state of being as a Fallen Angel.

...or something completely odd could happen, and he may continue to degrade into something more demonic in nature, we just don't know.
Reply Quote
so, tyrael still holds onto his other-worldly power (at least some margin), in addition to his sword containing such power? wasn't sure if it was him or his sword that gave him supernatural strength/ability
Reply Quote
09/26/2013 04:31 PMPosted by ecstaSTEVE
so, tyrael still holds onto his other-worldly power (at least some margin), in addition to his sword containing such power? wasn't sure if it was him or his sword that gave him supernatural strength/ability

I'm not sure any of us know for sure.
Reply Quote
Since it's been established that no angel has sacrificed their wings before to become "mortal", you could say that as far as Tyrael was concerned, it was a sacrifice. Whether he gains his powers back, reincarnates, or just dies like a regular human, he made a sacrifice according to the information he had. To me that means that he made peace with the consequences of his actions in an act of heroism. He's not going to care one way or the other, he's still going to be a bad !@# however the story unfolds.
Reply Quote
When he was still an archangel (wings, faceless all that), he could slowly regain his form and power over time since this happened before, quite recently in fact, when he destroyed the Worldstone.
Maybe he still can regain his archangel form and full powers eventually from the Crystal Arch? Not entirely sure about that. Not even sure if Blizzard intends to turn him back into an archangel by the end of RoS.
But one thing is for sure: he will never grow in power like a Nephalem that can exceed his archangel powers. A Nephalem is an offspring of an angel and a demon. Tyrael is not, so that will never happen.
Reply Quote
09/26/2013 07:06 PMPosted by SkaKidJack
Since it's been established that no angel has sacrificed their wings before to become "mortal", you could say that as far as Tyrael was concerned, it was a sacrifice. Whether he gains his powers back, reincarnates, or just dies like a regular human, he made a sacrifice according to the information he had. To me that means that he made peace with the consequences of his actions in an act of heroism. He's not going to care one way or the other, he's still going to be a bad !@# however the story unfolds.

Pretty much, agreed completely.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]