Diablo® III

Was thinking about switching Evoc to Blur...

Then I found this info from an old thread:

YES *Fallen Maniac suicide bomb
YES *Soul lasher/ripper tongue attack
NO *Herald of Pestilence poison pool attack
NO *The fire breath from an Oppressor
but each charging hit from oppressor counts as TWO melees.
NO *Ghom spitting acid on you when you are close range.
but YES on Ghom biting you
YES *Belial's arm smash (phase 3)
YES *Belial's exploding green circles
YES *All of Belial's phase 3 attacks are melee.
NO *The DOT when Diablo grabs you
NO *"Desecrator" circles
NO *"Plagued" circles
NO *"Molten" lava path

YES *The explosion after molten elites die
New discoveries:

YES *Siegebreaker charging attack
NO *Siegebreaker grab and throw attack and some stabbing attacks
YES *Explosion traps (like the ones in Siegebreaker and Arreat crater)
YES *Arcane lasers
YES *Fire spewing structures (in Arreat crater)
NO*Fire chains

So basically, the reason that I wanted to switch to it, which is standing in a bunch of crap without ever moving, wouldn't work. Also, does anyone know if blur works on fat guy explosions in weeping hallows and reflect damage? My initial guess is yes, but not completely sure on how to test it.

Guess I'm still sticking to evocation for the time being. :P
Reply Quote
Generally, elemental, no. There are a few surprises in your list though like SB grab and throw and arcane lasers.. that's obviously arcane.

Basically, if you port into mobs and FN before they attack you, then Blur is less effective since nothing melee ever really hits you. But then you gotta take your ping into account. 250 average ping means that Blur will save me more on start up.. Evocation just helps me maintain freeze better.

The only time I would take Evo over Blur is ubers. I mean... it's not like I'm hanging out in pools of plague, desecrate hot spots, molten fire/explosions etc... I generally move out of the way.
Reply Quote
Generally, elemental, no. There are a few surprises in your list though like SB grab and throw and arcane lasers.. that's obviously arcane.

Basically, if you port into mobs and FN before they attack you, then Blur is less effective since nothing melee ever really hits you. But then you gotta take your ping into account. 250 average ping means that Blur will save me more on start up.. Evocation just helps me maintain freeze better.

The only time I would take Evo over Blur is ubers. I mean... it's not like I'm hanging out in pools of plague, desecrate hot spots, molten fire/explosions etc... I generally move out of the way.

Blur is for melee attacks though, not physical. I just was looking up what was considered a melee attack. And apparently the pools of death are not.

If only I had like 400 more life on hit, I could probably stand in a couple of those nasty affixes at the same time without missing a beat. I think right now, I can sometimes stand in a couple of plague pools and be fine.
Edited by GoSuPanda#1180 on 9/20/2013 1:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Your mit is higher than mine so yeah... not surprising. I gotta use Prismatic in group games. Better that I survive than the little bit of DPS that SA would add to the group. Solo though, I can do whatever.

Hmm... I guess it sorta makes sense that physical isn't counted as melee (i.e. arrows), but a grab and throw is pretty melee in my opinion.

I think the real problem is, there really is nothing else you can substitute in that'll actually benefit you.
Reply Quote
Your mit is higher than mine so yeah... not surprising. I gotta use Prismatic in group games. Better that I survive than the little bit of DPS that SA would add to the group. Solo though, I can do whatever.

Hmm... I guess it sorta makes sense that physical isn't counted as melee (i.e. arrows), but a grab and throw is pretty melee in my opinion.

I think the real problem is, there really is nothing else you can substitute in that'll actually benefit you.

Yeah that's pretty much it. If I ever manage to hit 900+ AR and 4600 armor at the same time, I'm gonna use glass cannon :D.
Reply Quote
Man, blur is what makes me live on MP10. I changed yesterday and died like a fly.
Reply Quote
I used blur for much of u chan todo career.

Believe it or not it is something worth considering if your above 2.73 and 55+ CC. Below these type f stats it's evocation would probably have a lot of benefits since you'll be running into some cool down lag.

I'm fairly certain it works against reflect damage too. But could never figure it out from testing.

Regardless, it does result in less deaths for me at the time especially against molten explosions.

I only switched back to evocation after running VOTA DE farming runs where Keeping up with barbs to provide the initial freeze was priority and this change helped a lot. Running sword wiz at 2.5 definitely would need evocation so that was out of consideration to use blur
Reply Quote
09/20/2013 01:29 AMPosted by MrDuMa

You're forgetting UA.
Reply Quote
I used blur for much of u chan todo career.

Believe it or not it is something worth considering if your above 2.73 and 55+ CC. Below these type f stats it's evocation would probably have a lot of benefits since you'll be running into some cool down lag.

I'm fairly certain it works against reflect damage too. But could never figure it out from testing.

Regardless, it does result in less deaths for me at the time especially against molten explosions.

I only switched back to evocation after running VOTA DE farming runs where Keeping up with barbs to provide the initial freeze was priority and this change helped a lot. Running sword wiz at 2.5 definitely would need evocation so that was out of consideration to use blur

Hmm, I think I might have to give blur a try and see how it feels then.
Reply Quote
09/20/2013 07:05 AMPosted by Ossian

You're forgetting UA.

Nope, I'm not.

UA for a CM build is poo.
Reply Quote
It's alright for solo play, and works well in party games with a CS monk. I wouldn't ever run it in party games without a CS monk though.

I'm not saying it's better than Blur, but it's certainly viable in certain circumstances.
Edited by mzy#1101 on 9/21/2013 1:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/21/2013 12:39 AMPosted by MrDuMa
UA for a CM build is poo.

Evocation not needed if properly geared and at 2.73 and Blur is decidedly blah. UA certainly isn't "poo." It provides a pretty dramatic real increase in EHP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]