Diablo® III

New Follower

09/23/2013 03:53 PMPosted by Vaeflare
When D2 exp. LoD released, new mercenaries added to the game, the barbarians. Why don't we get new follower on RoS? A dps type, two-hander melee follower would fit pretty well imo. What do you think?
We have no plans to introduce any new followers in Reaper of Souls. Instead, we will be delving deeper into the existing followers, and we'll find out more about their personal motivations in their expanded story lines.

Will we be able to hire mercenaries in multiplayer games?
Reply Quote
Any chance for adding 3rd row of skills for followers like in beta? Player could choose 1 of 3 (not 2) skills that follower can learn.
Reply Quote
09/23/2013 04:30 PMPosted by Badge
Please don't expand anything on the existing followers. If anything make them shut up, i don't need them telling me about worthy foes over and over, it's obnoxious.

I second this. I cant stand listening to them either. i stopped using the templar as a follower solely for the fact i cant put up with this dialogue. the other two's dialogue is almost as bad. yes we really need a silence button on them, also as other people have said we need more customization on their armor as well as being able to use them in public games
Reply Quote
I agree, they should be in public games as well.
Reply Quote
When D2 exp. LoD released, new mercenaries added to the game, the barbarians. Why don't we get new follower on RoS? A dps type, two-hander melee follower would fit pretty well imo. What do you think?
We have no plans to introduce any new followers in Reaper of Souls. Instead, we will be delving deeper into the existing followers, and we'll find out more about their personal motivations in their expanded story lines.

Well thanks for the reply Vaeflare, at least we would like to see a new lvl 70 ability of them :D

I see a lot of ppl want to see them in multiplayer games, maybe it's time to put them into mp play.
Reply Quote
One idea that was mentioned when the game initially launched was using a system similar to SWTOR with followers, simply allowing them to fill in for missing players from a group. That way, players always felt as though they had a full party.
Might make balancing easier since you would only ever need to work with 2 or 4 players, as the followers filled in.
Reply Quote
09/22/2013 05:22 AMPosted by Shadowmourne

I do hope you mean that Mercs will be able to put on more armor. I hope thats what you mean by delving deeper!
Reply Quote
It is probably a lie because go on youtube and look reaper of spoiler you can clairly see a new follower he look like a cleric.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
They need to first fix their game before they start adding in a ton of features to this game. Also we just do not know if RoS has anything else that will be added to this game or not. There is so much more information that we do not have. But I still say you need to fix the game before adding in new features, classes or even new followers.

Also an expansion should not always be trying to top everything that was added in the expansion of the previous title. That is not the purpose of an expansion. It is to add what is needed to the game. So D3's the judgement should not be based on what was in D2's expansion. It should be based solely on how well it improves the vanilla version.

Sorry, but a sequel always, always, ALWAYS has to measure up to what came before it. When you directly gain from your predecessors, you also have to live up to them. It isn't fair to judge D3 in a vacuum as that's not how it was designed or created, and it's standards don't get to stand alone.

D3's judgement comes from where D3 stands in direct relation to D2, and it is not a flattering position by any means. That is why people use LoD as a yardstick to determine what needs to be done, and how much it needs to improve. The argument is not, "Well LoD did THIS so you have to add it because LoD added it." No, the argument is "D3 fails on so many levels, why don't you take a page from what we all know works to bring it closer to par."

LoD's features aren't a requirement because RoS should be LoD, but LoD's features were good, something RoS needs to be in the worst way possible. It's not a question of copying what's there for copying sake, it's a question of asking what D3 lacks as a Diablo game, and what could be brought back in to make it better.

No game Blizzard has ever put out has needed as much help as D3, and there's no better help than a Diablo game that got it right.
Reply Quote
Some new skills, more equip slots and maybe a higher % of stats would be good.
A more in depth storyline is cool too but somewhat lacking weight on the game's experience.
Reply Quote
They need to first fix their game before they start adding in a ton of features to this game. Also we just do not know if RoS has anything else that will be added to this game or not. There is so much more information that we do not have. But I still say you need to fix the game before adding in new features, classes or even new followers.

Also an expansion should not always be trying to top everything that was added in the expansion of the previous title. That is not the purpose of an expansion. It is to add what is needed to the game. So D3's the judgement should not be based on what was in D2's expansion. It should be based solely on how well it improves the vanilla version.

Sorry, but a sequel always, always, ALWAYS has to measure up to what came before it. When you directly gain from your predecessors, you also have to live up to them. It isn't fair to judge D3 in a vacuum as that's not how it was designed or created, and it's standards don't get to stand alone.

D3's judgement comes from where D3 stands in direct relation to D2, and it is not a flattering position by any means. That is why people use LoD as a yardstick to determine what needs to be done, and how much it needs to improve. The argument is not, "Well LoD did THIS so you have to add it because LoD added it." No, the argument is "D3 fails on so many levels, why don't you take a page from what we all know works to bring it closer to par."

LoD's features aren't a requirement because RoS should be LoD, but LoD's features were good, something RoS needs to be in the worst way possible. It's not a question of copying what's there for copying sake, it's a question of asking what D3 lacks as a Diablo game, and what could be brought back in to make it better.

No game Blizzard has ever put out has needed as much help as D3, and there's no better help than a Diablo game that got it right.

Good I am glad to see that you understand that having more quantity of content is not always the best thing. Simply because a game company in time would paint themselves into a corner.

D2 has one expansion.

D3 vanilla would expect to have twice as much content as D2+expansion. So the vanilla game would have to have the equivalent of a game and three expansions worth of content. D3 having 2 expansions would mean that D4 might be expected to launch with content that would equal a game and 6+ expansions. Doing that would mean that in time the content coming out would be crap, because the company would be trying to add too many things to a game.

While borrowing will help it is good that they are not going the route of making D3 a clone of D2 where it is the spitting image of it's father D2. That would be boring to me, look if I want to go down nostalgia lane I would just play D2.
Reply Quote
It would of been a great time to at least add a necromancer follower. Too bad that boat sailed :'-(
Reply Quote
Would like them to have a bit more survivability, currently Kormac gain about 1600 life on hit, but dies to elites and their spell damage, too much tied up in pure life leech, hard to get anything else, and he does pitiful damage.

I liked the etheral weapons that did insane damage and 3 shael runes, it was a 1 man wrecking crew on a merc.
Reply Quote

Good, there is no need for more followers, but we don´t need more of their backstories either.

I´m sure many players who often run solo would really like to be able to equip their followers with more gear than just the 5-6 slots we currently have. Of course, adjust he multiplicative bonuses they get from attributes.

Also, please don´t forget to consider them as party and let them benefit from our character´s party spells. Last but not least, they should be able to benefit from set bonuses.

EDIT: I forgot to add the most important thing. Decide if their bonuses are up no matter if they die or not, but apply that decision to all bonuses. Today it makes no sense why for example Scoundrel´s Anatomy bonus is up no matter if the Scoundrel is alive and kicking or not. On the other hand, Enchantress´s Focused Mind +0.03 aps bonus is only up when she´s alive. This is quite counter-intuitive for the player - most people don´t even know it works like this. So, please make up your mind and stick with one or another.
Edited by Nubtro#2147 on 9/24/2013 2:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
09/23/2013 08:12 PMPosted by klaatugort
I get tired of hearing all the follower babble, maybe the first 20 times was not so bad but.... why not make shutting them up a check box in the game play options, this is something everyone would like to see. That way if they like hearing "time to loot" over and over then hey have at it. Personally I would like to silence them.

Because it's impossible to satisfy most people. You give them what they want and then they say, "why don't they make the followers say stuff once in a while? They just stand there and look dumb all the time." And making a toggle option for every single thing people complain about would require 50 pages of "Options" screens that they would then start complaining about.
Reply Quote

Interesting, then who is this dual wielding barbarian look a like in the wolf cloak, next to the scoundrel and what looks like Tyrael? d3/static/images/reaper-of-souls/gallery/screenshots/screenshot-6.jpg

Edit: I don't know how to make that work, but it's the last screenshot on the RoS page.
Edited by MCCORMICKW#1577 on 9/24/2013 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Also, my follower at 60 with decently equipped gear is a joke. I think if I equipped him with everything that was uber, he'd still be a joke. Either give them more equipment slots, or alter their bonuses from stats. Followers in D2 ranged from decent to surprisingly epic. In this game, they range from bad to decent. Something needs to be done to make them a little better than they currently are.
Reply Quote

Will there be plans to allow followers to assist in player groups?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Good I am glad to see that you understand that having more quantity of content is not always the best thing. Simply because a game company in time would paint themselves into a corner.

D2 has one expansion.

D3 vanilla would expect to have twice as much content as D2+expansion. So the vanilla game would have to have the equivalent of a game and three expansions worth of content. D3 having 2 expansions would mean that D4 might be expected to launch with content that would equal a game and 6+ expansions. Doing that would mean that in time the content coming out would be crap, because the company would be trying to add too many things to a game.

While borrowing will help it is good that they are not going the route of making D3 a clone of D2 where it is the spitting image of it's father D2. That would be boring to me, look if I want to go down nostalgia lane I would just play D2.

Quantity is actually another major failing of D3.

The item catalog, the number of play style variants - hell, even the number of new classes is a wash given the presence of the Barbarian. We already had an entire expansion devoted to the wad of meat, and we're re-hashing that again? Not only does D3 fail in where it should harken back to the original series, but fails where it should innovate and diverge. It fails as a sequel in opposite directions at the exact same time!

A sequel doesn't need to provide exponentially more content, but it should still provide more. Better content is fine, but that's rare in Diablo 3 as well, and where Diablo 3 fails, and where it lacks completely overshadows the few things it does do right, making it a massive failure of a game.

With more than a decade of development behind it, Diablo 3 should be to Diablo what Wings of Liberty was to Star Craft. Newer, cleaner, better, but still undeniably a product of it's roots and origins, paying homage and respect, while still bringing it's own greatness to the table. Blizzard knows how to make a great sequel. Blizzard knows how to make a sequel that can surpass the original game.

D3, however, is not that sequel. If it ever wants to get anywhere near it, RoS needs to not only bring in new innovations, not only fix the "innovations" that failed so miserably, but also bring back the faith to the original games it so belligerently diverged from.
Reply Quote
YES Barb should be able to use wep throw with 2 handed weapons... anyone of them! Skorn throne in you're face!... : )
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]