Diablo® III

Diablo's plan in D1

View profile
I have never gotten the chance to beat the original Diablo, so I was wondering if the people who did could clarify a few details for me:

- How did Diablo end up in Tristram's Cathedral?

- Why did he want to possess King Leoric?

- Why did he possess Albretch? Why not possess Lazarus instead?

- Why didn't he come out of Tristram's Cathedral once he had successfully possessed Albretch?

Were these plot points addressed in the original game?
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 9/25/2013 9:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/25/2013 09:05 AMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
The Prime Evils crafted a scheme to get banished to Sanctuary by the Lesser Evils. They began to build their strength and widen their corruption on Sanctuary, until Tyrael noticed. At that time, he formed the Horadrim who were tasked with imprisoning the Evils within the angelic stones. Diablo's stone was hidden beneath the cathedral.

- Why did he want to possess King Leoric?
It seemed like a pretty good idea to posses an extremely powerful king.

- Why did he possess Albretch? Why not possess Lazarus instead?
Albrecht was possessed when Diablo couldn't successfully posses Leoric. Lazarus was a product of Mephisto's corruption, so he may have been already taken. Nevertheless, Albrecht's possession created much more chaos than Lazarus' would have, and Lazarus was still used as a tool in Diablo's plan.

- Why didn't he come out of Tristram's Cathedral once he had successfully possessed Albretch?
Diablo realized that Albrecht was not a suitable long-term host, so to obtain one, he waited inside the cathedral for a hero strong enough to defeat him, and then carry on his legacy.

Were these plot points addressed in the original game?
Kind of. I'd say more of it is addressed in the game manuals for Diablo I and II, as well as the Book of Cain.
Reply Quote
View profile
09/25/2013 09:51 AMPosted by Chris
The Prime Evils crafted a scheme to get banished to Sanctuary by the Lesser Evils. They began to build their strength and widen their corruption on Sanctuary, until Tyrael noticed. At that time, he formed the Horadrim who were tasked with imprisoning the Evils within the angelic stones. Diablo's stone was hidden beneath the cathedral.

That doesn't really answer my question: why did the Horadim pick an old, abandoned cathedral to hide Diablo's soulstone?

Also, since Tyrael knew about the Hellforge, why didn't he and the Horadrim take the Soulstones there to have them destroyed? Even if he didn't know about Izual's treachery, why would he be content with keeping the Prime Evils imprisoned?

It's not as if he didn't know what to do with them as he did with the Black Soulstone.

It seemed like a pretty good idea to posses an extremely powerful king.

I was under the impression Diablo required a body to be able to manifest himself as the big red horny demon we all know. He's not Belial and he doesn't seem to be able to conceal its demonic nature: the Dark Wanderer, once utterly taken over by Diablo, didn't look all that human and possessed Leah wouldn't have fooled anyone either.

This is why I don't understand why it had to be specifically Leoric.

Albrecht was possessed when Diablo couldn't successfully possess Leoric. Lazarus was a product of Mephisto's corruption, so he may have been already taken. Nevertheless, Albrecht's possession created much more chaos than Lazarus' would have, and Lazarus was still used as a tool in Diablo's plan.

It strikes me as odd for a being supposedly as calculating as Diablo to pick an infant - let alone, Leoric - to be his host. Is it because Albretch's royal blood or something? If not, why not attempt to possess Leoric again once he has been driven completely mad?
Reply Quote
09/25/2013 10:56 AMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
That doesn't really answer my question: why did the Horadim pick an old, abandoned cathedral to hide Diablo's soulstone?
Well, your question was "How did Diablo end up in Tristram's Cathedral?" But to answer this question, the Horadrim did not pick an old abandoned Cathedral. They picked a spot that they deemed 'safe' by some measure, and then built the Cathedral around it to protect and hide the soulstone.

Also, since Tyrael knew about the Hellforge, why didn't he and the Horadrim take the Soulstones there to have them destroyed? Even if he didn't know about Izual's treachery, why would he be content with keeping the Prime Evils imprisoned?
There is no official answer as far as I know, but to the best of my knowledge, it was out of naivete. This was the first time Heaven had attempted to use the stones, so he probably had no idea what would happen if they were destroyed. However, he assumed that hiding them forever would work. As seen in the Wrath animation, the Angiris Council is king of big on imprisonment. However, when it became clear that imprisonment within the stones was not an option, destruction was plan B.

I was under the impression Diablo required a body to be able to manifest himself as the big red horny demon we all know. He's not Belial and he doesn't seem to be able to conceal its demonic nature: the Dark Wanderer, once utterly taken over by Diablo, didn't look all that human and possessed Leah wouldn't have fooled anyone either. This is why I don't understand why it had to be specifically Leoric.
It was a dual reason. Firstly, Leoric was deemed to be the strongest soul in Tristram, and so he was targeted. Secondly, he was a powerful man with an army, so exploiting that for evil pleasured Diablo.

It strikes me as odd for a being supposedly as calculating as Diablo to pick an infant - let alone, Leoric - to be his host. Is it because Albretch's royal blood or something? If not, why not attempt to possess Leoric again once he has been driven completely mad?
Albrecht was by no means an infant. I don't know if his age was ever officially stated anywhere, but I'd estimate he was 10 - 14 years old when he was darkened. It did have to do with his bloodline, though. Even though he couldn't directly control Leoric, ruining his life and mental state cost many lives in Tristram, as well as in the armies of Westmarch and Khanduras, which again, is something that gets Diablo's jollys off.
Reply Quote

Diablo wanted to possess someone who was either powerful or in a position of power. He broke Leoric beyond use, so Albrecht was next in line. This was all a ploy however, to lure a powerful hero into the depths to serve as Diablo's true host;

http://i.imgur.com/aduK6mS.jpg

since Tyrael knew about the Hellforge, why didn't he and the Horadrim take the Soulstones there to have them destroyed?

When a Soulstone is destroyed, the soul of the captive Lord of Hell is banished back to the Black Abyss where they are (eventually, after a long time) respawned. The whole reason Tyrael and the Hordadrim wanted to keep them captive is so this wouln't/couldn't happen. The problem though was that the soulstones were imperfect and the evils contained were able to corrupt and influence from the inside, something that Tyrael and the Horadrim did not fathom.

http://i.imgur.com/XOZwr0Y.jpg
Reply Quote

As Chris said, they didn't pick a Cathedral. It was actually a cave system and the area was devoid of people. Only after they hid the stone did they build a Horadric Cathedral on the surface as a means of guarding the stone.
Reply Quote
@JohnnyZeWolf: You can also have the answers according to the first game, since the canon changed during D2 and D3.

1) Diablo was banished to Earth and roamed, sowing terror and misery until an angel-led club of mages hunted him down and inprisoned him. As stated above, they buried him in caverns and built a monastery (later cathedral) on top to keep Watch.

2) He wanted to posess Leoric in order to have an anchor to the physical world. Leoric was the ruler of the land and also a deeply righteous man so he was the best candidate.

3) Leoric was in the end to righteous to be completely possesed. Diablo disgarded him and choose Albrecht instead because he was a child and the Prince. Why he didn't posess Lazarus is not really clear. In the Diablo manual it's stated that Diablo tormented Lazarus with nightmares and compelled him to venture under the Cathedral, where he found Diablo's soulstone, shattered it and let Diablo loose. Afterwards Lazarus became Diablo's servant. Perhaps Lazarus was too "meagre", not having a strong soul like Leoric, and not young and innocent and moldable as Albrecht.

4) Diablo was biding his time and rebuilding his Power. The long imprisonment in the soulstone had severly weakened him. After posessing Albrecht he sat back and feasted on the fears of the townfolk above. In time he would have left the Cathedral to find his brothers.

These points were adressed in the manual and somewhat in gameplay.
Note: According to D1, Diablo and his brothers were overthrown and banished to Earth because of the dissent in Hell. They roamed for centuries, trapped on Earth looking for a way back to Hell. In D2 that was revealed to be a masterplan by Diablo in order to tap into the worldstone via the soulstones. Which is now canon lore (sadly!)
Reply Quote
View profile
09/25/2013 11:56 PMPosted by Solidpontus
In the Diablo manual it's stated that Diablo tormented Lazarus with nightmares and compelled him to venture under the Cathedral, where he found Diablo's soulstone, shattered it and let Diablo loose.

Are you sure about that? Because I watched D1's end cutscene on Youtube and the soulstone appeared to be intact: the hero plucked it from Diablo's corpse - which turned back to Albretch's - and inserted it into his own forehead.

These points were adressed in the manual and somewhat in gameplay.
Note: According to D1, Diablo and his brothers were overthrown and banished to Earth because of the dissent in Hell. They roamed for centuries, trapped on Earth looking for a way back to Hell. In D2 that was revealed to be a masterplan by Diablo in order to tap into the worldstone via the soulstones. Which is now canon lore (sadly!)

The simplicity of D1 lore still has its charm, indeed. In retrospective, maybe it would have been better if Mephisto had been D2's main antagonist; this way, each Prime Evil would have starred in their own game (Diablo = D1, Mephisto = D2, Baal = LOD). Oh well...

In any case, thanks everyone for the answers! It was most enlightening. :)
Reply Quote
True, the manual didn't state that insertion of the soulstone was nescessary for possession. Probably there were different teams working on the manual and the game.
Reply Quote
09/26/2013 06:37 AMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
In the Diablo manual it's stated that Diablo tormented Lazarus with nightmares and compelled him to venture under the Cathedral, where he found Diablo's soulstone, shattered it and let Diablo loose.
Are you sure about that? Because I watched D1's end cutscene on Youtube and the soulstone appeared to be intact: the hero plucked it from Diablo's corpse - which turned back to Albretch's - and inserted it into his own forehead.
It is a mistake in the manual.
Reply Quote
[/quote]It is a mistake in the manual.[/quote]

Are you Chris Metzen? :)
Reply Quote
09/25/2013 09:51 AMPosted by Chris

So the history is now that they WANTED to be banished? o.O
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 03:28 AMPosted by Solidpontus
Are you Chris Metzen? :)
No. But obviously the story in the game and the story in the manual don't add up totally, so we have to determine which one is canonical. Game manuals are generally created at the very end of the development cycle, but are finite. Once you print a bunch, there's no going back. And Diablo's story was pretty much put together last-minute. Those two facts combined pretty clearly points to the game as being the canonical authority between the two.

11/01/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Providence
So the history is now that they WANTED to be banished? o.O
Not sure why this surprises you, since it's a plot twist that was revealed 13 years ago in D2 vanilla.
Reply Quote

Not sure why this surprises you, since it's a plot twist that was revealed 13 years ago in D2 vanilla.

I seriously missed it.

In d2 I recalled it being more along the lines of "They were trying to take control over hell but got banished into sanctuary, something that they didn't like. They then were trying to get BACK into hell."

I guess it didn't make sense to me because I was under the impression that the lords can walk in and out of hell as they please. Being banished would, by that logic, serve no purpose as it is being forced to do something you can already do.
Edited by Providence#1541 on 11/2/2013 1:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
When you kill Izual, here is his famous little spiel.

Izual:
Tyrael was a fool to have trusted me! You see, it was I who told Diablo and his brothers about the Soulstones and how to corrupt them. It was I who helped the Prime Evils mastermind their exile to your world. The plan we set in motion so long ago cannot be stopped by any mortal agency. Hell itself is poised to spill forth into your world like a tidal wave of blood and nightmares. You and all your kind...are doomed.
Reply Quote
When you kill Izual, here is his famous little spiel.

Izual:
Tyrael was a fool to have trusted me! You see, it was I who told Diablo and his brothers about the Soulstones and how to corrupt them. It was I who helped the Prime Evils mastermind their exile to your world. The plan we set in motion so long ago cannot be stopped by any mortal agency. Hell itself is poised to spill forth into your world like a tidal wave of blood and nightmares. You and all your kind...are doomed.

interesting. I've heard that quote more times than I remember, but I completely missed that third sentence entirely every time I heard it. Good to know :D
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]