Diablo® III

how to upgrade gear

i just hit hell difficulty act 1 and im getting owned hard. like every other monster kills me. i browse the AH but everything that seems an upgrade seems to cost 100k each. i only have 120k. where do you guys get the gold/gear? where should i farm so i can progress?
Reply Quote
No one can really help you until you get level 60. All items before level 60 are crap and waste of gold. After you get to Level 60 add me in game and I'll try to help you out.
Reply Quote
09/24/2013 05:20 PMPosted by Argos
No one can really help you until you get level 60. All items before level 60 are crap and waste of gold. After you get to Level 60 add me in game and I'll try to help you out.

This has got to be the most un-helpful thing I have seen in a long time.

I mean seriously, everyone has been through this same instance if they have a lvl 60 character. So how about answering his question by telling him how you handled your own journey from 50-60.
Reply Quote
09/24/2013 05:24 PMPosted by Malfegor

I mean seriously, everyone has been through this same instance if they have a lvl 60 character. So how about answering his question by telling him how you handled your own journey from 50-60.

Well! And how did you help him by dishing my reply exactly? As to how he can get from level 50-60 is the same way he got from level 40-50. There's no magic bullet. You grind away until you hit level 60 and people will help you with items. Who keeps below level 60 items? And why would anyone give him any gold to buy items below level 60 that would be rendered obsolete after level 60? Don't be a troll, you're better than that.
Reply Quote
Get a weapon with a socket and craft a decent ruby to put in it. This will be your main dps.

You should gear more gear more defensively. You don't need good gear -- you need armor / vit / sockets mostly.

Socket amethysts over rubies. Use defensive passives like Nerves of Steel(works very well with socketed amethysts) and Superstition over your offensive passives.

You could also put a decent amethyst in your helm. +exp isn't very helpful when exp is coming slowly.
Reply Quote
READ THIS WHOLE THING IT IS RATHER IN-DEPTH

I believe you were looking for an answer along the lines of basically how you should go about actually getting to lvl 60.

First lets throw out the lame concepts of DPS, APS, Health, and energy resource. There are only two things you ever need to know about Diablo 3, or any game for that matter, that have a live/die condition.

Firstly, there is being alive, or being dead. That's it. None of this other stat BS matters. Sure it might help, but if you don't know how to play the game, the best gear in the world will only keep you alive for so long.

Next, understand that the objective of Diablo 3 is to beat the game by killing all of the monsters, all the while dying as little as possible yourself.

With all that in mind, we can continue on to the main point, of which, is to stay alive.

I'll use myself as an example for a bit. I too just hit Hell last night. Now I will tell you up front that my gear is average at best, only what I could find, and that my class setup is probably the most stupid thing you will ever see. To illustrate, here is a handy dandy link to my current endeavor;

Profile Link
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Malfegor-1850/hero/8783531
Skill Link
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WVikTP!gXb!aZZabb

Some things to note;

1: My gear is average at best.

2: You will never find my skill setup listed in any guide anywhere.

The issue at hand though is survival. So, the question becomes, do I survive? The answer is yes, just barely.

The focal point of my build at the moment is actually three points.

1: Above all else have fun.

2: Do as much damage as I possibly can, while still having fun, and not wasting away on the AH.

3: More technically, my setup currently revolves around Berserker Rage.

If you looked at my skill setup, and wondered to yourself what does he do with his Fury, its because my build uses no Fury, except for WOTB. I specifically chose to use The Mountain's Call rune on Earthquake, because it becomes a free DOT (damage over time) ability, that does substantial AOE damage. On top of that, Earthquake deals non-elemental damage, unless you pick up the Aftershocks rune, which there will never be a time when it isn't useful.

Now you might have noticed this before while looking at my build, and if you didn't, look again. I use little to no skills that provide me with life, other than Revenge. Well now your thinking to yourself something along the lines of this;

"He is crazy, dumb, or both. How can he possibly survive even a single group of elites in Hell with no life giving abilities?"

The answer is two part.

1: I don't. But I'll be damned if I don't kill 60 monsters with a massive burst of AOE damage before I die.

2: What's more fun? Playing a game with a single dominant strategy, to the point of the game loosing its challenge, or mixing things up and just trying to have fun?

In the end here is the advice that really matters;

As far as not dying as often, and by looking at your amount of health, first off you need more vitality. 391 Vitality is definitely not enough. To fix this, just run through the Boss fight parts of past nightmare acts to get rares with strength AND vitality.

Secondly you have a rare ring with a socket equipped with no gem in it. For gods sake PUT A PURPLE GEM IN IT.....

Next, and this is kind of a big thing (so I'll bold it), you should always be using Revenge in one of your skill slots!!!!! It costs no fury, gives you 5%-8%(with the right rune) of your life back for each enemy hit. Some basic math;

Use Revenge;
Hit 10 Enemies of any type;
Receive 50% of your base health just for using a free ability;

It may have a small chance to activate, but that chance goes up when there are more enemies hitting you. On top of that, you unlock the rune Provocation at level 52. This increase its chance to activate to 30% each time you are hit by an attack.

On top of using Revenge, if you are constrained by little play time, or small gold bank, then you need to play more defensively. This might mean that you have to limit yourself to 1-3 offensive skills, and make the rest life-giving skills. Trust me, there are a bunch that give you life just for using them, or using the runed version of them.

Personally I would suggest that at the minimum, you use War Cry with Hardened Wrath, Revenge with BSC rune or VIM rune, and Ignore Pain, with really any rune you want but Iron Hide rune or Ignorance rune would be best.

Hope this helps more than the first response you got didn't.

EDIT: I will probably be varying my build a bit here and there, trying new things is always fun. I will re-post another link to any build I finally settle on, but the one above is my current.
Edited by Malfegor#1850 on 9/24/2013 6:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Well! And how did you help him by dishing my reply exactly? As to how he can get from level 50-60 is the same way he got from level 40-50. There's no magic bullet. You grind away until you hit level 60 and people will help you with items. Who keeps below level 60 items? And why would anyone give him any gold to buy items below level 60 that would be rendered obsolete after level 60? Don't be a troll, you're better than that.

Guess it never occurred to you that I might be spending the time to actually help him by writing out an in-depth response that involves more than just talking out of my butt. BTW, scroll up, cause that's exactly what I did.

And you're right, I am better than that. You might want to try it yourself.
Edited by Malfegor#1850 on 9/24/2013 6:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
LOL Dude, you're level 50 with worse gear than the guy you're trying to help. The time you took to write all that you could have climbed to level 60. Now I hope you feel better about yourself.
Reply Quote
@Malfegor

Man, I think we got off to a bad start. Let me extend you an olive branch. Add me in game tomorrow afternoon and I'll level you up to 60 (Argos#1307). It's just a game.
Reply Quote
As well intentioned as Malfegor #1850 is and as good as it sounds, Argos is 100% correct, the game doesn't really start until you hit 60, not worth spending a dime until you do.

Basically you wanna build yourself tank, and get some gear with +exp on it so you level as fast as possible.

Would just like to point out, that this is only valid if your goal is to try and level as fast as you possibly can to get to 60. Which he may or may not want to do. Who knows, he didn't actually say.

Also, I never meant any of what I said to to come off as being what you absolutely need to do. That's why I used phrases like "Personally" and "what I would do is..." and "what's worked for me is..."

The advice I gave, was from my own experience. I stated beforehand that It was, I even stated that it doesn't work. I also pointed out that the build I used was not from a guide, but from my own experimentation. Lastly, and most importantly, 90% of my post hinges on whether or not your looking for a challenge. Cause if your not, than it is absolutely pointless to do anything that isn't cookie cut out of a guide.

In the end, the best advice that anyone can give is "do what works best for you, and gives you the enjoyment out of the game that you want." Getting anything less than the enjoyment your looking for, makes it pointless to even do it.

Something that can be said for how you play any game.
Reply Quote
@Malfegor

Man, I think we got off to a bad start. Let me extend you an olive branch. Add me in game tomorrow afternoon and I'll level you up to 60 (Argos#1307). It's just a game.

@Malfegor

I'll extend that olive branch to you as well, add me if you want, and I'll power level you to 60.

Planet #6460 - Diablo III Barbarian Class MVP

"My name is - insert_battletag_here -, king of kings
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

I am half to blame for this. I was trying to explain personal experience, and I think people are taking it for "Absolute Diablo Law" or something.

I should have put in giant letters at the top, "based on personal preference". I was really trying to hint to the OP that in the end, he needs to base how to progress on why. You can successfully play D3 loads of ways, but only one way is going to give you the most enjoyment, and that's they way you create yourself, tailored for you, by you.

That's all Im trying to get at.

And thank you both for the offer, but I will respectfully decline. I am quite content with smashing my face on the keyboard, killing 60 mobs then dying. It's how I have fun. Makes me laugh.
Edited by Malfegor#1850 on 9/24/2013 7:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Anyway, I said I would post up any build I finally settled on so here it is.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bVikRP!gXb!YZbbbZ

I changed two skills, and changed the runes on two skills. Haven't once since then had to use Ignore pain.

I think my own main issue was that I was fighting groups of 5+ mobs, but only attacking 1 at a time. Still maintains my core idea, and gives me more survival.
Reply Quote
read every post here, especially the lengthy post by malfegor, then compared my items to the essence of this thread, and now i know why i die haha. ok will level myself to 60. at least i got the gems on gear right heheh
Reply Quote
thank you very much for those who responded. really. thank you.

as for the post:

"Would just like to point out, that this is only valid if your goal is to try and level as fast as you possibly can to get to 60. Which he may or may not want to do. Who knows, he didn't actually say."

the speed doesnt matter to me, as long as i enjoy. with that being said, i dont enjoy much since im dead most of the time and my gold goes to repair cost so i cant buy gears from AH. but will try to play more defensively now, like one monster at a time.
Reply Quote
Melfagor is exactly right in that the main point of this game should be to enjoy yourself, as that is the only thing that matters. As Argos suggests though, for most people that begins after level 60.

Having said that, the standard builds are popular for a reason, and that is because they work and work really well. Read the guides and give them a go. And as Planet suggests, Eclipise's gearing guide is excellent.

If anyone wants a power level, I'll hopefully be online in an hour or so and would be glad to help :)
Reply Quote
09/24/2013 05:20 PMPosted by Argos
this true.....for softcore, hardcore is a different story, every piece of gear counts, unless you get carried throughout normal-hell on hc then yes it's junk, but survivability > destroying things. but to add on to this, no there is no point in "gearing" someone for the lower levels, why? because you can get a reduced level weapon @ 42 and destroy things with 1 hit, it's sad but true.

09/24/2013 05:36 PMPosted by Argos

for nostalgic reasons I have a lvl 60 axe: -10 lvl req, 100 cd, socket, & life steal. kept it because it's sadly the best weapon I've ever found in the game it's like 700 or so dps, no min/max dam, ignore durability & has arcane damage.
Reply Quote
hehe will you lend me your weapon so i can have my own memories added to its history?

"for nostalgic reasons I have a lvl 60 axe: -10 lvl req, 100 cd, socket, & life steal. kept it because it's sadly the best weapon I've ever found in the game it's like 700 or so dps, no min/max dam, ignore durability & has arcane damage."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]