Diablo® III

questions about Monk to DH transition

Hello fellow DH,

just leveled my DH to 60 and put on all my semi GG gear on him. spent a few hundred mil for bow and dml.

i've seen various different combos but the build I was going for is RF build because I think it's the most powerful and effective for solo and group play?

is it better for me to get a Nat chest piece and go with inna belt? get the 130 dex bonus from both sets.

Also a cold SOJ would be best right because it procs with RF?

Also i've heard manticore are best for RF build but so far out of 10 profiles i saw most people use a calamity?
Reply Quote
Check my build.
Best pew pew for your money.

I also came from Monk, so I understand. You need to look for crit chance, crit damage, and attack speed if you're looking to use the build I use.
Edited by MissyChrissy#1646 on 9/26/2013 11:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
There's two main types of DH's out there, Calamity users and Manticore users (and a couple of fools that use windforce still).

Manticores with rapid fire builds are going to out class calamities in terms of pure DPS.

Calamites are close in terms of DPS, but require a lot more effort, and primarily rely on spike traps for DPS.

Ultimately it's up to you, and what playstyle you prefer. I vastly prefer Manticore builds, but that's just me.
Reply Quote
View profile
09/26/2013 10:25 AMPosted by Chinners

Hey Chimmers - cold won't proc off Rapid Fire - each rune has a damage type.

is it better for me to get a Nat chest piece and go with inna belt? get the 130 dex bonus from both sets.

For Rapid Fire it's not going to make any difference if you get a Nat's chest since you will be swapping one 130 dex bonus for another, so I would just keep what you have. If you run Spike Trap or something similar then a Nat's can be nice because it has a skill bonus for that.

Inna's belt would most definitely be a dps loss for you, and in addition you would fall below the 2.01 breakpoint for Rapid Fire.

I think the bombardment breakpoints are 1.67, 1.82 and 2.01, but I'm not positive. If you drop below 2.01 you should ideally go down to 1.82 because any attack speed you have above the breakpoint isn't contributing any damage. 2.01 has been working just fine for me as the mobs are so large with Vengeance you can keep channeling pretty easy.

Also i've heard manticore are best for RF build but so far out of 10 profiles i saw most people use a calamity?

On the Calamity vs Manticore, I think it just boils down to attack speed. It will be harder to maintain the channel with Calamity (its attack speed is vastly higher than a Manticore.) I didn't bother trying RF with the Calamity because I have so much attack speed gear, I figured it would just be futile.

Regarding your build, you MIGHT consider Cull the Weak over Archery. I'm no expert, but I find most of the time I'm completely surrounded by mobs and just tank with Gloom. Since mobs are right on top of me, they get slowed by the Caltrops BTT, so Cull actually does more damage to them. Obviously to a mob outside the snare range, they are not slowed, so they would not benefit from CtW. (By the way, BTT does not snapshot, so you need to keep casting it every 6 seconds - it will not break the channel.)

I also run with a Buriza scoundrel, though, so a lot of things are still slowed even outside my immediate area, so I decided to go with CtW over Archery.

Both passives seem to work fine, though, so you either take more damage vs mobs directly around you, or a bit less damage to all mobs.
Edited by GunnersDream#1109 on 9/26/2013 11:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@ GD

if you replace SS with Spike Trap wouldn't u do much more dmg? i mean with gloom how often do you actually need SS to escape?

Also how do you find a SOJ with RF!? not a search option :(
Reply Quote
View profile
@ GD

if you replace SS with Spike Trap wouldn't u do much more dmg? i mean with gloom how often do you actually need SS to escape?

Also how do you find a SOJ with RF!? not a search option :(

Spike Trap needs an attack turn, so it would compete with RF. Also the hatred cost on ST is pretty high, so it would get really difficult to juggle the two.

You can get away without SS but it will make things like Frozen annoying. Since you rely so much on gloom's life steal to keep you alive, not attacking = death pretty quickly. SS helps a lot with that. I usually just tank and if I see my health drop rapidly (or see red on screen) I'll hit SS then decide quickly to GFTO or keep going.

You can also use SS on some of the nastier channel breakers like Vortex or Knockback. Instead of hitting gloom when things get bad, you just chain some SS together so you won't break channel. With 40 disc, I can pretty easily chain 3 of them together (depending on the mob size, several more.) That's 4.5 seconds of invulnerability (or more, and you can delay them slightly to get longer.)

It's a lot like Cloud of Bats for WD, breaking channel costs a lot, so if you can avoid that at all costs, it's worth it. You pay the 20 hatred again, which massively lowers your up time, and often you must pay the SP cost again.

Ya the SOJ was painful to find. Again, though, you'll need to make that IAS if you wanna stay over 2.01 breakpoint.
Edited by GunnersDream#1109 on 9/26/2013 12:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Get an RF stone of jordan. They aren't easy to find so take some time to search. Should be under 100m. Aim for high cc!

Get a 9 ias natalya's reflection. You need this to hit the 2.0001 aps after switching to SoJ

Marquise ruby on weapon ^.^
Reply Quote
when I was done with monk and started dh, what i did:
1. move all the pieces from monk to dh, from mempo to nata boots.. except weapon.
2. buy a RF soj with max CC, buy a manticore with 2 holes on it, buy a DML with rapidfire bonus.
3. copy VocaloidNyan's RF build, start running mp 10 on the next day.
Reply Quote
View profile
lol try not to copy my build...xD
Reply Quote
Hello fellow DH,

just leveled my DH to 60 and put on all my semi GG gear on him. spent a few hundred mil for bow and dml.

i've seen various different combos but the build I was going for is RF build because I think it's the most powerful and effective for solo and group play?

For sharing of info only, me fm monk to DH too. Similar topic has been discussed in past threads tho. So please pardon me if find it dull & boring..My DH present skill build suitable from monk's face-tanky playstyle. After countless trials/ errors, Manticore w dual gems(mar ruby & mar emerald), + weapon damage, + dex, IAS & CD beats handsdown to Calamity in terms of DPS. Sacrificing lots of attack speed tho. Which IMHO barely keeps up w perma-glooming.(tested & proven.) Bottomline, explore which playstyle suits u best. IMO Windforce looks pretty cool visually..lol..but never my fancy cos DPS drop. Same goes to dual-weilding Danetta's set or mixed combo w Calamity. Zero knowledge on RF build, so no comments. Practise and have fun..

*Note: Not intend to start any debates here. Thanks.. =)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]