Diablo® III

Am I understanding DPS correctly?

90 Pandaren Shaman
I just came back from a long hiatus from playing, I literally played the first few months the game came out and not since. My friends started playing again so I decided to join them. After spending approximately 20 million gold (which I know isn't much) I got my DPS up to around 70k, with about 600 all resist. I know the stats aren't optimal, but I didn't have a ton of gold to spend on stuff.

In any case, when I left in Inferno I was more or less one shot by everything (granted I had worse gear, but still). Now it takes awhile to be killed and I don't have to play perfectly all the time to kill stuff, which is nice. My question though is about DPS. Most of the guides, and people I talked to said you need for MP5:
100-120k DPS
600+ All Res
40k+ HP

I, unfortunately, only meet one of those requirements. However, so far through Inferno Act 3 MP5 I am doing pretty well in terms of killing stuff. The speed of monsters dying is to my liking, only dying to bad rares, that kind of stuff. Am I missing something about DPS? I only have 70k and I seem to be doing alright, so is there something other than paperdoll damage I should be looking at? Or am I missing something about the recommended DPS?

Thanks!

Here is the link to my DH: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/sh33pz-1390/hero/36918298

I know it isn't gemmed yet either :(
Reply Quote
The guides you're reading are outdated. 120K dps is MP1/2 territory. There are also different way to come up with DPS (damage per second). As you can guess, there are 2 main components - damage, and the attacks per second. You're getting your DPS by increasing your attack speed (on your char profile, you have +59% attack speed). So you have low damage, but you attack quickly. The downfall of this approach is that since most attacks use hatred, you burn through it quickly, and you're forced to use your hatred generators (Bola) very often.. and they don't hit very hard.

What you're missing for the most part is Critical hit Chance. Virtually every class should have at LEAST 40% crit chance and at LEAST 250 Crit damage.

Also as a final note, your info is wrong on the defensive stats. DHs do not need that much armor and AllRes (AR). You do need more HP though. For MP5 or so, try to aim for: 350 AR, 3.5k armor and 45k HP.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Thanks for your response, that's more or less my question, although I thought IAS was taken into account when calculating DPS? If that is the case, I am missing ~50k DPS, though I am guessing that I could get that through CC/CD.

Mathematically the Manticore I had gave me more DPS, but I hated losing the IAS and lifesteal from my WF. I know, not as efficient, but it is just a personal thing.

So far through Act 3 MP5 Inferno I've probably only died about 5 times, 3 of those due to play mistakes (vaulting into a fire is a terrible idea), but it really hasn't been as bad as I thought. Granted, I'm sure people hitting the 120k DPS mark aren't taking nearly as long as I am, but I am getting through...plus I have to catch all my friends in Paragon level since that didn't exist when I played :(.

Other than getting more CC/CD, is there anything at a glance I could replace with a totally different piece of gear (just not a more expensive/stat increase of the current piece) that may help with DPS? Thanks!
Reply Quote
IAS is taken into account - I think I just wasn't clear. The 70K sheet DPS you see on paper is a product of everything. To simplify it.. you have 2.3 attacks per second. To get average damage per HIT, divide your DPS by APS = 70/2.3 = 29.5k. This is your average damage that includes Crit chance and crit damage. The different attacks you use take this average and prorate it by the skill's damage (for ex, Nether Tentacles has 155% dmg.. You can use this link to see how much damage your skills do:
http://d3up.com/b/1096364#skills

So far through Act 3 MP5 Inferno I've probably only died about 5 times, 3 of those due to play mistakes (vaulting into a fire is a terrible idea), but it really hasn't been as bad as I thought. Granted, I'm sure people hitting the 120k DPS mark aren't taking nearly as long as I am, but I am getting through...plus I have to catch all my friends in Paragon level since that didn't exist when I played :(.

Doing the highest MP you can is not how you gain Paragon levels. Very often, faster runs gain much more XP than slower runs at higher MP. Plus..you really DONT have to catch them in paragon levels. They mean nothing - seriously.

Other than getting more CC/CD, is there anything at a glance I could replace with a totally different piece of gear (just not a more expensive/stat increase of the current piece) that may help with DPS? Thanks!
In short.. no. This game's damage is based upon CC and CD. For quick upgrades, I'd recommend:
-Putting gems in. Even flawless squares, which cost ~5k gold, will make a difference.
-Look for ultra cheap pieces that are upgrades. I'd guess that for ~100K each, you can get an upgrade in:
--Gloves
--Helm
--Skull Grasp
--Maras
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Thanks again, I did add some gems, I was just saving up to get something in there, but I was reminded you call pulls gems out and get them in a new one. Also, after I spent some money I realized that Dex didn't add to crit like it does in WoW, so that was a gearing issue on my part.

I'm up to...35.5% crit...249% crit damage. My 1 key ability is up in the air now, I don't really need Sentry now that my damage increase, and sentry doesn't appear to benefit from CC/CD.

Mostly I like doing MP5 because some of they guys I know who played said I couldn't clear it with my gear, so it was kind of just to tell them to shove it. I'll keep a better eye out for gear with CC/CD now, but so far after a quick test run NT/BS are shredding people. Now I just need to find what I'm going to put in the 1 key...and what I am going to replace the engineer ability with.
Reply Quote
Lour, I might have some significant upgrades for you lying around my stash... stuff I can't really sell for much and would probably end up vendoring but that I've held onto for one reason or another.

Also, as soon as you accumulate some gold, crafting is a good way to upgrade inexpensively relative to what you might find on the AH. Something to keep in mind down the road.

Add me in game: Axvandal #1933

Cheers
Reply Quote
might help to switch to your d3 account when you post so we can see your gear and skills and have a better idea of what you could use for upgrades.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]