Diablo® III

Random Question

Is the Barbarian in d3 the same Barbarian from D2?

When the Enchantress asks the Barbarian "Are you considered handsome in your lands?" or something like that, the Barb responds with "I am old now, but still strong, and that is what matters." Now this leads to the question, if the Prime evils broke lose 20 years ago, and this Barbarian is strong enough to single handedly kill the collection of all 7 evils combined, does it not seem logical that he was in fact the same Barbarian who killed Diablo and his brothers the first time?

Also, it sounds like the Barbarian knew Deckard Cain before the events of D3. In act 2, Leah said that she wanted to explore The Great Library of Caldeum, and the Barbarian responds "You are more like your uncle than you know." If we also take into account that in the course of the D3 story line, the Barbarian knew Deckard Cain for like a day or two before he died. Hardly enough time to make a detailed judgement of person in my opinion, so how would the Barbarian know that Leah was more like her uncle than she knew?

These are just the reasons why I think the Barb is the same, I actually have no idea, or it might be well known that the barb is/isn't the same. I don't know and that's why I'm asking :D

Cheers!
Reply Quote
That was the original plan, but officially, he is not.
Reply Quote
I thought that officially, he was the same barbarian.

I'm certain it was the original plan.

Any citations, Chris?
Reply Quote
"This is actually the same individual from Diablo 2. He's aged twenty years, and he's got a personality in this game. Look at his gear; his [[armor]] has points on which he could impale himself. It's extra protection for the harsh environment, but it's also dangerous to him. The day to day life characters lead in this world is very hard."

-The Jay Wilson

"he's got a personality in this game"

He is completely butchered. Where's his booming voice and no nonesense attitude? This is the only reason I play a female barb and not male. He is so rubbish.

http://www.diablowiki.net/Barbarian
Reply Quote
"There were talks shortly after BlizzCon about this and I believe the idea to give the male barbarian a unique story as compared to the female gender is now in question. It’s very likely to be simplified, the male barbarian would not be unique, and would no longer be spelled out as the barbarian from Diablo II"

And, maybe not.

So, a blue post would be nice to actually clarify a lore question.

For anyone who has played through the male barb:

Is there any indication that he is the same, or a different barb?
Reply Quote
I know there are pretty cut-and-dry official statements from a blue or elsewhere (I can't remember which). I can't find them right now, but trust me.. it ain't him.
Reply Quote
I'm also having a hard time finding the posts where they said it was not the same barbarian. I do remember it was later stated multiple times they changed their minds and made him a different character.

The short story Wayfarer is supposed to be his backstory.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/lore/short-story/barbarian/
Reply Quote
As Chris said, it's not the same Barbarian. That was the plan during the bulk of development but they ran into issues with the story/dialogue, i.e; one character would have unique dialogue and NPC interactions vs 9 other characters. You can actually still see a tiny remnant of this in Zoltun Kulle's Archives when the Barbarian mentions Diablo 2's Worldstone Keep.

For the life of me I can't find the interviews/blue posts where it's confirmed, but they exist. :P
Reply Quote
Community Manager

When the Enchantress asks the Barbarian "Are you considered handsome in your lands?" or something like that, the Barb responds with "I am old now, but still strong, and that is what matters." Now this leads to the question, if the Prime evils broke lose 20 years ago, and this Barbarian is strong enough to single handedly kill the collection of all 7 evils combined, does it not seem logical that he was in fact the same Barbarian who killed Diablo and his brothers the first time?

Also, it sounds like the Barbarian knew Deckard Cain before the events of D3. In act 2, Leah said that she wanted to explore The Great Library of Caldeum, and the Barbarian responds "You are more like your uncle than you know." If we also take into account that in the course of the D3 story line, the Barbarian knew Deckard Cain for like a day or two before he died. Hardly enough time to make a detailed judgement of person in my opinion, so how would the Barbarian know that Leah was more like her uncle than she knew?

These are just the reasons why I think the Barb is the same, I actually have no idea, or it might be well known that the barb is/isn't the same. I don't know and that's why I'm asking :D

Cheers!
Since you're looking for confirmation one way or the other, let me clarify:

Initially during the development of Diablo III we intended that the male Barbarian was the same character from Diablo II, but during the development process, we later revisited the idea and decided that our Diablo III heroes should be unique to Diablo III.

While there are references to the exploits of past heroes scattered around Sanctuary (such as that of the Necromancer), this story belongs to a new group of heroes. :)
Reply Quote
Blizzard can say whatever they want, but it's still the same Barb in my mind.
Reply Quote
10/07/2013 05:09 PMPosted by Gergall

agreed. i like to think of him as the same dude, still kicking butt after all these years.
Reply Quote
I never thought about it nor made the connection, pretty cool that they originally thought of it to be so!
Reply Quote

Cheers!
Since you're looking for confirmation one way or the other, let me clarify:

Initially during the development of Diablo III we intended that the male Barbarian was the same character from Diablo II, but during the development process, we later revisited the idea and decided that our Diablo III heroes should be unique to Diablo III.

While there are references to the exploits of past heroes scattered around Sanctuary (such as that of the Necromancer), this story belongs to a new group of heroes. :)

The D3 barb's backstory is supposed to be the Wayfarer correct?
Reply Quote
Hah, I never thought of him being the same guy! That's really cool, actually. I don't know if I want him to be the same barb or not though...I like the idea, but I really love the D2 barb and I'm not sure how much I like the D3 one (in terms of personality and such).
Reply Quote
10/07/2013 04:46 PMPosted by Vaeflare

I would just like to know what you're referring to with this part. Unlike what D2 did with the D1 heroes, D3 contained absolutely no appearances of the previous heroes.

Sure, they didn't need to make actual appearances. For instance you do meet the necromancer's apprentice, which was a great moment, but also it left me with a lot of expectations. Because the rest of the game did not so much as mention the fates of the druid, the amazon, the paladin, the assassin, or the sorceress. I guess that is the reason people ignore what Blizzard told us and still imagine their D3 barbarian is the same one from D2.

I honestly believed they would each receive their dues, be it an event reference (like the necro), an NPC (such as a random quest giver or hidden merchant), or maybe even a tragic, fallen from grace foe (like the D1 heroes). It couldn't have been that difficult, so I don't understand why it was shelved.

During development we were promised that most, if not all, the old heroes would make some sort of appearance. As the necro's apprentice was incorporated, the motivation to do so was definitely there, but why was it canned. Sadly, this is one of my biggest letdowns of D3, and hopefully they will be referenced in act V, and act VI (if there is a second expansion).
Edited by Azjenco#2877 on 10/7/2013 11:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/07/2013 11:54 PMPosted by Azjenco

I would just like to know what you're referring to with this part. Unlike what D2 did with the D1 heroes, D3 contained absolutely no appearances of the previous heroes.

Sure, they didn't need to make actual appearances. For instance you do meet the necromancer's apprentice, which was a great moment, but also it left me with a lot of expectations. Because the rest of the game did not so much as mention the fates of the druid, the amazon, the paladin, the assassin, or the sorceress. I guess that is the reason people ignore what Blizzard told us and still imagine their D3 barbarian is the same one from D2.

I honestly believed they would each receive their dues, be it an event reference (like the necro), an NPC (such as a random quest giver or hidden merchant), or maybe even a tragic, fallen from grace foe (like the D1 heroes). It couldn't have been that difficult, so I don't understand why it was shelved.

During development we were promised that most, if not all, the old heroes would make some sort of appearance. As the necro's apprentice was incorporated, the motivation to do so was definitely there, but why was it canned. Sadly, this is one of my biggest letdowns of D3, and hopefully they will be referenced in act V, and act VI (if there is a second expansion).

There is a piece of information about D2 sorceress in Wizard short-story Firefly. Her name is Isendra
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/lore/short-story/wizard/2#read
Reply Quote
The D3 Barb will always be the barb from D2 for me, and I definitely feel robbed by the lack of explanation of the D2 heroes.
Reply Quote
There is a piece of information about D2 sorceress in Wizard short-story Firefly. Her name is Isendra http://us.battle.net/d3/en/game/lore/short-story/wizard/2#read

Is there any other in-game references about fates of Diablo 2 heroes in Diablo 3? I personally think Blizzard North did a better job with continuing from a previous title. During a Blizzcon before release, a developer said the continuing story you find out about heroes of the previous title, "implied destinies were the coolest thing. ." Each time they hint toward past heroes in context to Diablo 3 they bring up necromancer.

Source - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKyIm1s4R-c at 8:25
Edited by Gnosis#1998 on 10/8/2013 11:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/08/2013 05:12 AMPosted by Remus
There is a piece of information about D2 sorceress in Wizard short-story Firefly. Her name is Isendra

That's even worse. Basically it means they had some ideas, but didn't take them into the game. As I said, the characters should pop up in the game, you should have to go to the site to read a short story.

It was stated during development that the D2 characters will be in D3. I just want to know why they changed their minds.
Reply Quote
10/07/2013 05:09 PMPosted by Gergall

Probably everyone thinks like you, changing the original barbarian backstory was a mistake.
Edited by Yoomazir#2905 on 10/10/2013 9:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]