Diablo® III

Complete Guide to the Bola/Ball Lightning DH

windforce is so much fun with this build.
the Ball lightning proc KB pretty well...

BTW, can ball lightning snapshot gloom like RF?
Reply Quote
@Luffy - Unfortunately no. RF is a channeled skill, and therefore is able to snapshot because channeling counts as one cast, and as long as you maintain the channeling, it will keep the effect. There may be some limited snapshotting that happens to a ball that is already cast once gloom ends, but it would only be for a short period of time (a couple seconds) and therefore not something I would rely upon as a mechanic for the build. I'll need to do some testing on this once I start playing again. I'm currently taking a break from D3 because there really hasn't been anything new for several months now, but I'll be back as soon as I build up my tolerance for long hours of low benefit grinding :)
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 06:42 PMPosted by Skeeter
@Luffy - Unfortunately no. RF is a channeled skill, and therefore is able to snapshot because channeling counts as one cast, and as long as you maintain the channeling, it will keep the effect. There may be some limited snapshotting that happens to a ball that is already cast once gloom ends, but it would only be for a short period of time (a couple seconds) and therefore not something I would rely upon as a mechanic for the build. I'll need to do some testing on this once I start playing again. I'm currently taking a break from D3 because there really hasn't been anything new for several months now, but I'll be back as soon as I build up my tolerance for long hours of low benefit grinding :)

I tried BL with my WF and hellrack ... it's quite fun.
BTW, feeling bored and see nothing new? you should try hardcore...it's a different game. ;)
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 08:20 PMPosted by Luffy

I tried BL with my WF and hellrack ... it's quite fun.
BTW, feeling bored and see nothing new? you should try hardcore...it's a different game. ;)

People still use Hellracks? Anyway, I've played a little hardcore. Until they fix rubberbanding and random game timeouts, I doubt that I'll have a real Hardcore career.
Reply Quote
What do you think my top upgrades would be that are a million gold or lower? I do about 110k dps right now with hungering arrow and elemental arrow, and I am going to try out your bola build.
Reply Quote
11/26/2013 01:02 PMPosted by XenoXod
What do you think my top upgrades would be that are a million gold or lower? I do about 110k dps right now with hungering arrow and elemental arrow, and I am going to try out your bola build.

For a million gold or less, that's a tough one. You certainly need to get your 2 piece set bonus from the Nats set (7% crit chance.) You may be able to find chest and ring or boots and ring for less than a mil, but the ring is probably going to be the most expensive.

The cheapest upgrade you can probably make right now that will still have an impact on dps and survivability is going to be to upgrade your gems. Since gems in D3 can be removed and reused, they are going to be an investment that continues to give returns no matter how often you upgrade gear.

Also, you should be able to find a decent set of Inna's pants or Zuni boots for a mil or less, but I could be wrong. I haven't stayed current on legendary prices the last few months, so you're going to have to research and test out to see what gives you the best bang for your buck.

I suggest making a profile on www.d3up.com and testing different build pieces before making a purchase to make sure you know that you are getting a real upgrade, and not one that just looks good on paper.
Reply Quote
Just a heads up to everyone following this guide. Since a lot of the mechanics have changed with the game and DH skills, I will be working on updating this guide over the next few weeks. I still feel that the Bola/Ball build is going to be effective in this current content, but it's going to take some tweaking. I have already begun to find the right combination of AoE and single target damage, and will be making updates based on my findings in the near future.

Before making any changes to the guide, I can say that with the HUGE damage buff that Ball Lightning got and the fact that the Kridershot turns this skill into a hatred generator, you're going to start seeing more DHs use this skill than before.

Keep checking back here for updates. Expect to see them start coming in over the next few weeks.
Reply Quote
Ill agree tons have changed in the game especially since release of RoS. I have not played in over a year had 2 one month goes at it and got frustrated and went back to other games. I picked up RoS to give blizzard another chance as D1 & 2 were a couple of my favorite games as a kid. Let me tell you whole different game having a blast playing and actually looking forward to lvling more than my dh. With that said i just picked up a Emeilels quiver that has the instant explode effect for lvl 70…soo many possibilities now for different builds now will be interesting to see what the next couple months bring.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]