Diablo® III

Beware When You Ask For A Rollback..

I recently fired up D3 again 2 days ago, after a 2 months break due to the birth of my first child. Immediately I realized that somebody had hacked into my account while I was away and stripped all my softcore and hardcore characters of their gear/gold.

Yesterday, I decided to submit a ticket to Blizzard to ask for a rollback. Indeed 5 hours later, I was happy to find the gears on my softcore characters restored, but in the process to my horror, 7 of my hardcore toons were deleted.

Among the missing were a P100 barb, P60 monk and 2 more dead P90+ toons :(( Below was the reply from Blizzard customer support:

Greetings ,

You are receiving this message in response to the help petition which you submitted regarding a rollback.

In regards to your ticket, I am sorry to hear that you are missing characters, very sadly it appears there are no rollback points before the date we was able to select to rollback the account. So very sadly I am afraid it is not possible to select another point in the accounts history to choose.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused

Regards

Game Master Xanaverri
Customer Services
Blizzard Entertainment

I hope this will be a caveat for other hardcore junkies out there if you ever encounter the same situation as me.
Reply Quote
Welcome back.
Reply Quote
View profile
Why in the hell would they do that? You'd think they would at least send you an email and say 'Hey. sorry but if we roll you back you are going to lose all your HC characters and be left with a geared SC barb instead. Still want to do it?'
Reply Quote
View profile
And this.

09/28/2013 04:47 AMPosted by Kornkills
Welcome back.
Reply Quote
It is amazing that their rollback snapshot point didn't include any of your HC characters. Sorry for your account genocide courtesy of Blizz CS. Get an authenticator if you decide to keep playing.
Reply Quote
So, if their rollback snapshot included one of his HC characters, and his characters still have the gear, would the gear be duped or blizzard would remove all gears in the process? I thought HC account would not be affected by rollbacks at all, only SC, but looks like the rollback does affect HC account.
Reply Quote
@Uriel

I have no idea, every rollback post i have seen to date has ended with "All of my HC chars have been deleted". That fine print is so fine...it is invisible. I am inclined to say it is a SC function only.
Edited by CyLaNt#1337 on 9/28/2013 6:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Among the missing were a P100 barb, P60 monk and 2 more dead P90+ toons

Were all those done in past 60 days and the dead ones before that time?
Reply Quote
Nope, most of the characters were made months ago. I did not log in to play the last 2 months at all

p/s: thanks for welcoming me back to hc :P
Reply Quote
Im a bit confused here so you logged in and had all the characters there alive and well but without gear, then you asked for a roll back and the HC charcters were deleted but not theSC characters?

Am I reading that right? Or were the HC characters already deleted and you were hoping a roll back brought them back?

If it was the 2nd statement then even roll backs can't bring HC characters back to life.

If the first then HO SNAP that is terrible!.

Welcome back if you need any help feel free to add me
Loki#1241
Reply Quote
View profile
Sorry, but I have zero sympathy. Don't even ask for any sort of rollback on a hc character. Ever. I'm actually happy this happened to you, you were either criminally stupid with an acct that had 160 paragon lvls (classic hacker target), or you were trying to cheat. Neither situation justifies giving you a bunch of gear. And the funny thing is that your gear was likely so dated that you would have upgraded all of it in short order, anyway.
Reply Quote
I tend to agree with Bryan. And get an authenticator.
Reply Quote
Hi Bryan,

Sorry, but I'm not sure why I generated so much hate from you. I've spent around 2000 hours in hardcore alone. While my characters aren't the very top tier in diabloprogress, my barb and monk were worth a couple of billions.

Anyways I wasn't really even upset about the loss of gear, but surely there is no harm trying your luck with Blizzard customer support right? If you click on the selection for 'Compromised Account' it actually leads you to having your account rolled back. I think most people would have done the same, and I have never heard of rollback causing your hardcore characters to be deleted.

Loki: Yeah I had 7 hardcore characters yesterday, 2 of which were dead P90+s which I kept because I spent 300 to 400 hours on each. The other 5 were stripped of their gear but they were still alive. After the rollback, only my 3 softcore characters remained, and they only gave me back 10mil softcore gold (much less than what I had).

If there really was a fine print warning that this may happen, then sorry guys my bad. I'm a really stupid idiot and deserve the outcome.

I have only played legit the last 3000 hours and I plan to do so in the near future.
Edited by Cutezy#1783 on 9/28/2013 9:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
And yes do get an authenticator :P

I removed mine about a week before I went for my extended break, because for some reason it was not synching correctly. I guess getting hacked in the first place was my punishment for the lapse in security.

Cheers!
Reply Quote
Well heres the thing there is no and i mean absolutely NO rollbacks on HC characters. This has been known for over a year they will not roll back a HC character or revive one for any reason. I could see keeping the characters on the account but not getting any gear back what so ever.

SC is a diff story but I could care less about SC.

@Bryan I agree with you on the point of trying to ask for a roll back on HC. If my account was hacked and all my HC stuff and characters were gone I wouldnt even think of askin for a roll back cause it would not happen. Same with authenticater I added one back when the game first came out and have had a few times messages about people trying to log into my account. Auth was the only thing keeping them out. But no reason to be so rude, if he was flaming on bliz then yea, be rude all you want :) but from the post he just wanted to let people know (which most of us know 0 roll backs on HC anyway)
Edited by Loki#1241 on 9/28/2013 10:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/28/2013 10:06 AMPosted by Loki
SC is a diff story but I could care less about SC.

Saying that you *could* care less means that you actually care at least a little bit and therefore there is a lesser amount that you could care.

The phrase is "I could not care less", as in there is no smaller amount of caring that I could give.
Reply Quote
Saying that you *could* care less means that you actually care at least a little bit and therefore there is a lesser amount that you could care.

The phrase is "I could not care less", as in there is no smaller amount of caring that I could give.

Well played good sir, well played.

But then think of it this way. Saying "I could not care less" might mean that I care, but will not care less about how much I care about it?

What did we just get ourselves into lol

And I could probably care less since I don't have it in me to delete the first character I ever made (SC wiz but deleted my 60 DH and Barb). So apparently I still care. Hmmmmm maybe I will delete him....i dont know...
Edited by Loki#1241 on 9/28/2013 10:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
ordered an authenticator in may 2012 -- so cheap (or free)

it amazes me when i see players who have dedicated much more time than me (which i still think is a lot) refrain from using one
Reply Quote
09/28/2013 10:31 AMPosted by supafrench
ordered an authenticator in may 2012 -- so cheap (or free)

100% free. I was required to get it when I started selling items on RMAH.
Reply Quote
View profile
I don't apologize for my aggressive tone. So now we are supposed to think that a very high paragon with billions in gear didn't see the need for an authenticator? And if your old one malfunctions, how hard is it to get another one? Much more likely that he wanted to sell the gear plus keep his old stuff, and blizzard has "accidentally" made him pay a much bigger price...or was it an accident? They don't like cheaters any more than we do. I'm glad you lost everything BC potential cheaters in the future will likely decide that it's not worth the risk.

Lesson, as always, is that you NEVER ask for a rollback under any circumstances.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]