Diablo® III

Which pet rune is best for tanking

I know this game doesn't really have class roles like tanks or dps but my friend and I are playing together and I am the tank and he is the dps.

I wanted to know if there is any zombie dog or garg rune that makes them better at keeping monsters on them instead of going after us.

thanks
Reply Quote
Burning Dogs hold aggro the best. Big Stinker holds aggro well but I prefer stun garg with burning dogs (unless you go bad medicine).
Reply Quote
with burning dogs does the amount of damage i do matter or is it just better because the aura means more hits on more monsters? My dps is nooooooo where close to his.

Is there anyway to up their aura range?

Would thorns help them hold agro?

thanks again
Reply Quote
Ok, I personally prefer Leeching Beasts, because it really helps your pets stay in the fight longer and provides a nice constant heal to yourself. If you have enough pets running around anyway, the burning dogs rune is probably not worth it. I've never seen burning dogs hold more or less aggro than any other rune.

For garg I prefer Humongoid, but that is damage related and I don't believe there's anything you can do to help him keep aggro.

A link to your character would be very useful!
Reply Quote
This is my current build is this what you meant by link to my character?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#ZQYTWX!aVg!abcYYY
Reply Quote
my pets are completely invincible btw they never ever die so i'm not worried about keeping them alive. I just want to keep the monsters on them instead of my ally. He is a demon hunter using rapid fire. So we want him to be able to just stand there not having to move.
Reply Quote
With a DH, I would go with 4 burning dogs, replace Fierce Loyalty with Zombie Handler and use Death Is Life for Grasp of the Dead. You don't need thorns or high dps just make sure to let the dogs run ahead and grab aggro before your friend start attacking.
Reply Quote
If none of the zombie dog runes are better at holding agro maybe I should drop summon zombie dogs and just use the dog spawn from grasp of the dead to make my dogs? They never die and we would just have to take it slow till the 4 dogs spawned. I could replace it with mass confusion or something
Reply Quote
I used to and still do run a pet tank build on occasion. My old WD I built in a lot of life regen. At one point I had 3200 life/s. I think he's sitting around 2400 life/s now. I used passive "fierce loyalty" to give my pets regen ability and would also take on any thorns damage which helps to keep agro on them.

For pet rune selection my personal preference was Big Stinker and Leechers/Life Link depending on if I needed more damage reduction. I noticed while watching my gargantuan that he can often take many hits and get knocked back which often interrupted his attack. The poison aura at least was constantly doing 15% weapon damage.

I don't know if this works anymore but at one point with using FL passive, a life steal weapon and summoning big stinker I noticed the poison aura giving life steal. I tested this by removing all life regen gear and skills, equiping an LS weapon, taking damage and letting him fight on his own. Depending on how many monsters were fighting him and what ones touched the poison aura started ticking life steal. I posted this on the forum some patches back and some that tested confirmed it. You could try and see for yourself if it still works. Helps to tank a little better and add to your life regen if you have any.
Reply Quote
Well.. I see you are already doing that. :) I don't know about your gear but you might want to make sure you have 1 piece with thorns damage.
Reply Quote
BTW, grasp of the dead rune for ZD chance seems to only work when they die on the spell. If any other skill kills them they don't chance to raise. I noticed that skill break down on higher MP since I combine multiple attack skills for damage. The passive would be the better of the 2 I would say.
Reply Quote
The reason my dogs are invincible is because I have 4024 life per second. That combined with their force shield makes them just not die. Well i'll say this. They don't die at inferno monster power 7 with 2 people. We haven't gone above 7 yet.

My entire build gear wise is devoted to keeping me and my pets alive.
131864hp
800+ in all resistances
60% damage reduction which is then increased by horrify
20% dodge.

I don't die. My pets don't die. The problem we have is I can't keep all the monsters on me. He has to run from the monsters that agro him which stops rapid shot which kills our dps.

I don't care if the monsters are on me or my pets but I need a way to keep them off our demon hunter. Telaporters and mordor are the worst but even swarms of non elite monsters sometimes just go after him and not me.

I have 4 dogs, 1 garg, fetishes running around from my passive. I don't know what else to do.
Reply Quote
Nice! that is very high. I found that 2800-3000 was sufficient to keep them up on MP10 and when elites were bad enough could still keep them up until the cooldown to re-summon if I had to. Almost never lost them unless I had a maillot beast pack take them out. (except for dogs that are just weaker so they would drop more often)

I don't think it's fully possible to keep all monsters off the other players but it does help to reduce focus on everyone. No matter what I had they still went after others unfortunately. The AI changed at one point to make them break off pets and go after you more and others. Forget the patch level when they made the pets stronger. Maybe 1.0.5
Edited by Shockwave#1233 on 10/2/2013 6:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote

My entire build gear wise is devoted to keeping me and my pets alive.
131864hp
800+ in all resistances
60% damage reduction which is then increased by horrify
20% dodge.

I have 4 dogs, 1 garg, fetishes running around from my passive. I don't know what else to do.

Well that is more than enough for sure to keep them alive even on MP10, you could always squeeze Blood Ritual in there for some extra regen.

I was recently running a sycophants build on MP10 and part of the strategy of keeping the fetishes alive was to keep aggro of them using 4 burning dogs, that was the best setup I could find and was the most successful in holding aggro.

Aggro management with pets requires some patience, your DH friend needs to wait for the dogs to grab the aggro before attacking otherwise stuff will just run past the dogs. Another good strategy is once he has some aggro on to run behind Big Stinker as the garg will pull aggro off you.

I don't know how good is your mana regen but if you want more sycophants consider switching from frogs to Plague Bats as bats produce twice as many fetishes. Blood Ritual will be very helpful with bats to keep mana costs down.
Reply Quote
The reason burning dogs and big stinker hold aggression the best is because they're passive aoe. If you go for runes like life link/leeching beasts and bruiser they're all single target so at best they'll each be rechecking aggression from one monster at a time. Burning dogs and big stinker will each continuously recheck aggression from all monsters within the auras.

Something else you can do to keep monsters off your friend is to bring a high fear (~19-20%) echoing fury and just dump a few acid rains on top of him every time it looks like he's getting mobbed, or to keep him safe during frozen/nightmare. It's not usually recommended when gearing up for mainstream builds, but it'll do exactly what you're asking for here.
Reply Quote
If you can link to your character, I can see what kind of gear you've got on.

There are three items that I use that help significantly with keeping aggro away. One is the
Gidbinn: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-gidbinn
the second is Maximus: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/maximus
third is the Waling Host + Litany of the Undaunted set: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-wailing-host
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/litany-of-the-undaunted

The Gidbinn is not very powerful but will summon mini-fetishes that can draw about two hits before they die. These spawn at about the same rate as your sycophants, only you have a maximum of three out at a time. Being a one-hander also allows for a mojo.

The Maximus is ilevel 63 as opposed to the Gidbinn's 61, and so you can get some great stats on this one if you have the money to pay for it. It summons a very large demon (with fire chains) that is actually much bigger than your Gargantuan. I don't believe he does as much damage, but whenever I pull him out (he spawns fairly often and sticks around for a while) he blocks doorways and hallways easily, forcing mobs into either attacking him or my other pets.

The Wailing Host/Litany of the Undaunted ring set may sacrifice a bit of your dps or your tankiness, but it gives you yet another passive summon - you get the chance on attack to summon up to three skeletons (either swordsman or archer). These also have low health and will probably die within three shots on the MP you're running, but in dire need these guys have saved me more than I can count.

And finally, an item so weak I don't even use it, the Grin Reaper: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-grin-reaper

It's stats are really pathetic at ilevel 58, but if you're willing to sacrifice power for more distractions, this one might be worth it. It summons 3 "Mirror Images" of yourself that utilize your attacks and distract enemies. While they don't do any damage, they are fairly constant and help out quite a bit.
Edited by Brock#1747 on 10/3/2013 6:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Here is my character

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Nertak-1790/hero/3112112
Reply Quote
huh in that last link my skills are wrong. Looks like its getting confused by my hardcore character. the first link has the correct skills

does have the right gear and stats though
Edited by Nertak#1790 on 10/3/2013 2:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
DANG that's some TANKY gear!

Only one question: why does your litany of the undaunted have strength?
Reply Quote
I use a similar pet build on mp9. I utilize stun/freeze to assist in keeping my pets alive. With life regen and blood ritual I have 4k life per second. I switch between vampire bats and lob blob bomb. With a 2 aps i have between 5 to 10 fetidhes out at all times. The longer the fight, the more fetishes I have. I hope I can find a good dagger with attack speed to get a few more. It is great to know there are more zoodocs!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]