Diablo® III

Tank Build: The Archimedean Hunter

Here's a shoutout to a tank build cobbled from various other builds and wise DHs: this is the DH version of the CM wizard.

Context: I can't get into RF builds which often struggle in solo games, and love the spammable use of grenades, traps and caltrops (thus lots of finger working like the classic CM wizard). I also like to tank high MPs, so this is obviously not for GC, WF and kiting builds. But if you like to melee the Act 2 warden with moderate DPS (I have 230k with an SOJ), this is worth trying out!

Build: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UgekYQ!eXf!ZYcbba
Profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/rahl-6100/hero/23795415

Basis of melee chaining:
Cluster Grenades
Echoing Blast
Jagged Spikes
Shuriken Cloud
Chain of Torment
Gloom

Alternative skills: Mortal Enemy for even more hatred and finger printing (with CE); or Thunderball or RF for kiters and ranged attackers (see also complementary gear below)

Passives: Nightstalker, Perfectionist, Archery/Cull the Weak/Custom Engineering

Weapon of choice: Calamity

Complementary gear: Chance to freeze/stun, useful for kiters/ranged mobs (4% is minimal, thanks to Chrizzle!). I have a 4.6% freeze on my Innas belt.

Playstyle: you want to front load the offence as soon/much as you can. As mobs close in, hit Gloom > SC, 5 JS, 3 EB, 2 CoT (after CD). Despite the intense use of hatred and disc, both orbs will be refilled instantly because of the number of mobs and grenade procs. Repeat. You only need to watch the orbs where there are a few mobs left. You don't have to move away unless there are dangerous affixes or hard hitters.

You have AOE and CC in the build, while heals will keep you alive when you are frozen, feared etc. Single target damage is reasonable if not comparable to RF.

Love the build go at Fire Chain elites!

Plays particularly well with CS monks and CM wizards.

Weaknesses: kiters, ranged attackers, damage from standing in a spot (Blazing Guardians).

PS. Not saying this is the best build but a nice synergy of skills to deal with a variety of challenging situations using not-great gear on MP10.

Special thanks to Chrizzle and Oscar's Cluster Grenades threads!
Edited by rahl#6100 on 10/1/2013 6:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Good thing you love it and nice to see that you're having fun with the build.

That's a variation of the build I use when I go melee. Since whenever I go melee, MfD-ME will fuel my EB spamming making it even pay for itself when all are in motion ;)

I'm gonna make a Hybrid Build that uses CoT, Proc Coeffs, LoH and many other things just to get a feel with the supposed changes to APS and other stats ;)

Crowd Controls will be put into action.

EDIT:

Actually.. you can replace Shuriken with RF Bombardment or Fire Support for stragglers. The Fire Support procs NS quite well too so that might help. Bombardment can be used if you are somewhat.. getting lazy spamming Echoing :3
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 10/1/2013 3:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Chrizzle. If you use CE, that will be 6 traps to spam if you have the hatred, although presumably you will drop caltrops less often.

Mortal Enemy sounds good for more hatred but how do you work it efficiently on whites which die in a second or two? Or do you limit casts to elites or high HP whites?
Reply Quote
I'm gonna make a Hybrid Build that uses CoT, Proc Coeffs, LoH and many other things just to get a feel with the supposed changes to APS and other stats ;)

@ Chrizzle - I just did this last night. I have realy good news!!!

NEW BUILD - AGGRO KING - The Expansion DH Tank - At the end I will explain why I call this aggro king.

Here it is:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UkXjdR!UXV!ZbcbcY

I am able to run solo MP10 and group of 4 MP 8 - challenging but very rewarding.

With the upcoming expansion, with CD and CC Cap and no gloom snapshot and ls potential nerf, I got some LOH stuff which dropped my paper DPS from 350 to 200 and then 150 with cold soj as I am running trifecta hellfire for xp.

Now I have 1500 LOH. The key to this build is COT and Custom Engineering. I must have something in the chain to proc LOH in order to complete my play cycle.

MFD Mortal Enemy is critical to not worry about hatred

Cluster Grenades plus nightstalker is critical for disc creation

SS Choking Gas is important for setup, emergency potion, single target DPS, and handling affixes.

TOC Vault is critical for setup and COT Sentry positioning along with good LOH proc.

Multishot Suppression is excellent once you are proc hatred with MFD and chains - this is spammable when everything is going well. For ranged mobs, this is your skill to stay alive when proc LOH is tough.

Numbing traps - it is very beneficial as everything on screen near you should be in contact with either grenades or chains.

Here is the strategy:

Grenades - I always have this button down at all times.

Sentry 1 Setup) Get as close to the mob as possible. Drop a chain and then vault into them. Select max health mob in your chain and mark with MFD. SS Choking gas at this point as you should have mobs around you. If everything is going well (that is you are sustaining, your hatred should be full and you don't need to move), then fire off multishot in the direction of the greatest mob density until your hatred is almost out.

Sentry 2 Setup) Now, if the mob is where you are, then vault back to chain 1 spot and drop chain 2, and vault right back where you were. Now remark with MFD. You have much more sustenance at this point. If the mob had moved, then drop Sentry 2 just like you did for Sentry 1. If this mob were to move back to your fight location during Sentry 1, then you can got to Sentry 3.

Sentry 3 Setup) Depending upon the movement of the mobs during battle, having the 3rd chain at the same location as 1 and 2 is ideal but remember you will probably die if more than 3-5 seconds of intense fighting occurs and you have nothing in your chains. Playing solo, you should try to have all of the chains in 1 spot. For group play you should aim for 2 as the 3rd should be in the direction of the group.

With elites and their affixes, nightmare and vortex suck the most as they can put you in a position where you are vulnerable. Freeze and jailer should be no problem with vault and correct timing. This is good are you can reposition chains and vault over mobs to fill your life with TOC proc LOH. With arcane, use your SS along with molten and plague.

If you can keep grenades firing and multishot spamming (must refresh MFD - for a champion or elite you don't need to as much). Double chain and MFD on elite is full hatred and constant multishot which leads to unlimited vault and smokescreen WHEN YOU NEED IT.

DPS Comment - You always have chains on mobs, grenades firing at all times. Then you always have either multishot firing, TOC Vault fire damage, or SS Choking Gas when you are on an elite, champion or a mob. This combination of offense does real decent damage. Nothing like a nirvana monk, but you are now playing where monks live.

Why AGGRO KING?

You must be aggressive and must engage in the core of the battle in order to proc LOH with 2-3 skills at all times. And in my opinion, mobs love to target DH's and I get a ton of aggro from mobs. With cold SOJ, it slows them down so they rarely go too far. For this reason, I always seem to aggro 1-2 of the elites and most cases the champion which with MFD and chains allows me to keep him at bay while the group dismantles the rest. I can stand many affixes so I hardly need to run.

Running with windforce at 48% proc kickback is a PITA when trying to proc MFD but very viable solo. As I am trying to maximize mob position in my chains, excessive mob movement due to kickback is not my preference.

Give it a try.....I am hooked. I am sure that with the xpac many more skills will become viable in this type of build like jagged spikes with LOH proc...
Edited by Chappy#1504 on 10/1/2013 6:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Chrizzle. If you use CE, that will be 6 traps to spam if you have the hatred, although presumably you will drop caltrops less often.

Mortal Enemy sounds good for more hatred but how do you work it efficiently on whites which die in a second or two? Or do you limit casts to elites or high HP whites?

In the flow of the game.. Whites just die quite fast that I don't bother with them.. What I do is I just aggro them ;)

More enemies = more LoH + more LS so.. yeah :)

I usually put or re-cast MfD on the mob with that is hit with the Chain.

@Chappy
I tried that variant.. but I really like mine ;) no offense though since having fun is my #1 priority in this game.. #1.5 is experimenting >_<

Anyways.. the build looks fun since you can cycle through your stuff. I really love Echoing Blast at the moment mainly because it can fuel itself when you have 6 down since they'll give you 6 x 3 x 3 Hatred ;) That's 54 Hatred per 6 Spike Traps with 3 Explosions each that triggers ME.

While Chain hits for 3 Hatred per sec also X number of sentries.

The synergy of the build is so great though it still have 2 Active and 2 Passive Slot available for change :)

Main is Passive is NS. CE is highly recommended and whatever catches your drift for the 3rd one. Thrill of The Hunt is cool too ;)

Main Actives would be Nades, CoT, ME and EB for me.
Reply Quote
@rahl

You really should use M4D/Mortal Ennemy with your build. I usually cast M4D on the biggest monster (high HP monster). You need to cast M4D on a monster hit by your CoT.

CE is really powerfull with CoT and M4D/ME. Lots of Hatred = lots of Spike trap!

Vault is really usefull too for positionning CoT.

For me, Main active would be CoT, M4D/ME, Spike/EB and Vault/ToC...
and Main passive : CE

I usually play with Shuriken and HA (or Grenade), but FoK/Retaliate is fun too. FoK/Retaliate is the only rune that you can cast twice in a row. You cast Retaliate, drop CoT, put down few Spike trap, shot few Arrow or Grenade, vault in the middle of the pack and Retaliate deal damage and you can re-cast it and it deal damage again. So you can have 2 * Retaliate within 2-3 sec.

@Chrizzle

I know that you like experimenting..... did you ever try FoK/retaliate with a Tank build. I think it's really fun because you need to watch for 2 Cool down: Sentry and FoK.... so a lot of things to watch: Hatred, Disc, HP, Sentry and FoK.

...and Retaliate is 464% damage....

sorry for my bad english guys...
Reply Quote
View profile
Chakram OP
Reply Quote
@Chrizzle

I know that you like experimenting..... did you ever try FoK/retaliate with a Tank build. I think it's really fun because you need to watch for 2 Cool down: Sentry and FoK.... so a lot of things to watch: Hatred, Disc, HP, Sentry and FoK.

...and Retaliate is 464% damage....

sorry for my bad english guys...

Yeah, I tried that also, use the Stun Rune though and Retaliate's a good burst damage :) It also gives that high LS burst too.

Other skills I tried when I remove 2 skills were.. RoV- Beastly and Anathema. Both are nice Bursts. Anathema shines really well when stationary too.

I also tried using Strafe in terms of repositioning :)

10/01/2013 08:05 AMPosted by VocaloidNyan
Chakram OP

OP more when you snapswap -.-
Reply Quote
In the flow of the game.. Whites just die quite fast that I don't bother with them.. What I do is I just aggro them ;)

More enemies = more LoH + more LS so.. yeah :)

I usually put or re-cast MfD on the mob with that is hit with the Chain.

@rahl

You really should use M4D/Mortal Ennemy with your build. I usually cast M4D on the biggest monster (high HP monster). You need to cast M4D on a monster hit by your CoT.

CE is really powerfull with CoT and M4D/ME. Lots of Hatred = lots of Spike trap!

Vault is really usefull too for positionning CoT.

I'll give CE a try, but it would be a shame not to use caltrops too. I will swap Shuriken for Mortal Enemy and see if I can spam 6 traps.

Not too keen to vault though, it doesn't go with the spirit of the build. I should call it the Archimedes build ;)
Edited by rahl#6100 on 10/1/2013 8:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/01/2013 08:40 AMPosted by rahl
I'll give CE a try, but it would be a shame not to use caltrops too. I will swap Mortal Enemy for Shuriken and see if I can spam 6 traps.

Eh?? either you worded that wrong.. or.. I'm wrong >_<

Remove Shuriken and get Mortal Enemy.. I'm sure you'll be able to spam 6 Traps with no problem at all ;)
Reply Quote

Eh?? either you worded that wrong.. or.. I'm wrong >_<

Remove Shuriken and get Mortal Enemy.. I'm sure you'll be able to spam 6 Traps with no problem at all ;)

Corrected ;)
Edited by rahl#6100 on 10/1/2013 8:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Slap on a manticore, SP snapshot the cloud, switch to calamity and ur good to go
Reply Quote
10/01/2013 08:48 AMPosted by VocaloidNyan
Slap on a manticore, SP snapshot the cloud, switch to calamity and ur good to go

I actually have a personal preference for SC, perhaps until the skill changes.
Reply Quote
@chrizzle

I see the 54 hatred regen is if your 18 EB blast occur on the MFD ME mob. With everything else going on, I find that hard to be 100%. More like 50% of the time as I do find moreso with a group that the battle shifts about 20 yards every 20 seconds or so. I agree solo they come to you and it should not be a problem.

Since MFD ME will be a group buff in the future, I try to mark the guy in the midst of battle. I think this will be a necessary change in the future. And since I try to stay in the midst of the battle, I often only have 1-2 chains relevant with 1 chain on stragglers, so for me SS and MS allow me to work the bulk of the monsters rather than prior to this build I would work a breakout group or one the mid to edge of the screen since I couldn't hang with the real melee party members.

With Aggro King, I certainly stay relevant in the battle. When I begin to spam MS Suppression, this is when I remark with MFD. With every sentry cooldown cycle I am dropping a new chain and repositioning. So this is why Spike Trap with MFD ME can cause me issues with this playstyle.

The only way this would work for me is if I drop traps at the mid to outer screen. I have not tried and I will. I

sn't part of the lure of this game is strategizing over build when you are not readily available to play?

(BTW - I certainly enjoyed the group support with my nirvana cs monk but I just love chains too much.)

I will look for you when I an online. My handle is Chappy#1504. Please add me.

So glad you are back btw.
Edited by Chappy#1504 on 10/1/2013 11:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Aggro-ing half or even the whole map then just set stuff up is straight out fun for me whenever I'm bored with Stutter Stepping or RF-SP on mobs :P

Anyways.. when I get the chance to play again, I'll be itemizing stuff up and will try and conform with the datamined stat caps..

Then from there.. I'll make changes in my build ;)
Reply Quote
@ Chrizzle - I just did this last night. I have realy good news!!!

NEW BUILD - AGGRO KING - The Expansion DH Tank - At the end I will explain why I call this aggro king.

Here it is:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UkXjdR!UXV!ZbcbcY

I'm trying some builds out.. and so far I've tweaked that build a bit and used this instead..

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#UkejdR!UXf!cbcbcY

Having 6.5% Chance to Freeze is actually nice. Then my Enchantress has 14.5% Chance to freeze.

Combo is you just spam stuff. Whenever you have Disc enough for 2 Vaults.. use it. Best when Sentry is ready. Vault Out, Cast Sentry, Vault back.. Then use MS-SF for added Disc, rinse repeat.
Reply Quote
@Chrizzle,

I just tried your mod build with gas, cloud and perfection. Looks good and fun.

My problem is with lag, ranged elites, and environments that have pinch points where a lot of damage is being dealt and I have limited room to set up.

At these times, I much prefer SS Choking over cloud. And I also like the damage from Choking gas. Although it is local, I can vault to the single enemy target and choke the living blank out of them.. lol.

For me cloud although good, cannot replace the overall versatility and damage of choking the way I need and use it. With that, I also prefer cluster over gas as I get better disc return for SS and seem to get more loh during setup phase and I don't have to aim as much. Really hoping for gas proc to increase to like it was - still missing it.

And then we have numbing traps over perfectionist. it seems they are quite equal in results although opposite in mechanics.

BTW - TOC vault damage is still significant. coupled with chains a few vaults over elites really puts a dent into them. Kinda of surprising but nice to see.
Reply Quote
If you will look into my Skills, and items. You'll see that I don't have much Crit Chance ;)

That's why I'm actually not relying that much on NS. Reason why I didn't put Choking as it eats up Disc quite fast.

When engaging..

1. Vault in
2. Set Sentry
3. Vault out
4. Use Multishot

Every time spamming Gas Grenades.

What happens is that all things will connect :)

I love Choking, CoT too, two underrated skills that I've been trying to make other people use since 1.02.
Reply Quote
Been playing my build a bit, amazing, you survive when you expect to die, in the middle of 5 arcane beams and plague.

The tank DH is back!
Reply Quote
Been playing my build a bit, amazing, you survive when you expect to die, in the middle of 5 arcane beams and plague.

The tank DH is back!

It was never gone ;) It's just that.. TankDHs won't perform as well as RF-SP types or the other more DH-ish gameplay/skill build :)

EDIT:

Fun playing around with..

4.6% Blind
3.7% Stun
6.5% Freeze

with 14.5% Freeze Enchantress.

The get Frozen.. Blinded or Stunned. All 3 can stop an enemy's attack. Even those Savage Beast's charge :3

Kinda fun to use ^_^ Low DPS though. still. It's nice to chain crowd controls on enemy <3

Look at Profile for more info ^_^

http://i.imgur.com/ol4dunq.png
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 10/2/2013 12:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]