Diablo® III

How/why did you pick your first character?

MVP - Diablo III
View profile
I started playing my barbarian because I wanted to be a shield wielding heavy armor class while also occasionally pulling out the big two-hander. The Crusader is going to be a dream come true for me, I can't wait.
well i normally play a knight class but there wasn't one but i did play the wiz in d1.Now i have a problem with the exp coming up farm loot with wiz beef him up or switch to crusader....
Reply Quote
I've always chosen purely spellcasting classes, usually the elemental type. I figured that normal human beings could be a melee/fighter archetype and a ranged/archer archetype in real life, but not a spellcaster - haven't seen or heard of anyone using real "magic" before (and no, illusions or tricks isn't really magic). It's a whole "fantasy" thing :)

So for D3, I picked the Wizard.

In Guild Wars, I picked the Elementalist/Mesmer.

In World of Warcraft (yes, I played WoW for a while, and I played both WoW and GW), I picked the Mage.

In D2/D2:LoD, I picked the Sorceress.

In D1, I picked the Sorcerer.

In any other RPG-esque games that I've played over the years, I've always chosen the spellcaster archetypes.
Reply Quote
In almost all my games I have played since back in my PnP days I have chosen a hunter/ranger type of class. DH was the logical choice. My second choice is usually a cleric or paladin type class. Looking forward to the Crusader.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
10/01/2013 01:41 PMPosted by rye
well i normally play a knight class but there wasn't one but i did play the wiz in d1.Now i have a problem with the exp coming up farm loot with wiz beef him up or switch to crusader....

That's if you decide to play non-ladder. If they do end up going through with the ladder concept you'll be able to start a crusader fresh with everyone else.
Basically it was all of them and a process of elimination occurred. Why?

Because of my previous experience in D2. Little did I know my previous experience in D2 was totally irrelevant.
Reply Quote
I always liked the Assassin in D2 and the female Monk was the closest character that reminded me of a sin so that was my first choice. =]
Reply Quote
Since I knew that Diablo 3 was going to sport a Monk I knew that no other class could compete for my attention. At the weekend for open beta the first character I made was my monk and played up till Skeleton King and replayed twice more. At launch made a Wiz because I used to play a sorceress on D2 and wanted to do a comparison, but went right back to monk which is still my main. I love the monk.
Reply Quote
I picked Barb to start because it was the only familiar character from D2. I was really hoping for a Paladin, but was out of luck.

After getting him to level 40-something, I got bored and switched to Monk. I instantly fell in love with him and pretty haven't stopped playing it since. (I've leveled a few of the other characters, but they just aren't as fun to me as my Monk.)
Reply Quote
I went with the Demon Hunter first because her game play seemed the freshest as far as ARPGs go, what with the snares and what not. I felt like I was interacting with the game in a new and more engaging way.

I've since stuck with the Wizard, if only because she was the first to find MF gear. Not very exciting, I know.
Reply Quote
An RNG told me to roll witch doctor. Quit after hitting level 10 or so and watching my friends vault across the map. Looked too fun to resist.
Reply Quote
I always play a Caster when I'm playing with my friends...

So I really didn't think too much to chose my class....

I like how elegant casters usually are.

I never chose my characters based on their attributes or how good they are... I always chose for the looks...
Reply Quote
I picked mine based on D2 and my best characters in that game. I started with a DH but switched to Barb when I discovered the WoTB synergy with certain skills. He was the easiest to level for me. Now that he is paragon 100 I can concentrate on alts till paragon 2.0 . I like the WD also for gold pickup, radius over 20yards.
Reply Quote
Monk. I love monks. I miss my Iksar monk (who even knows what game I'm talking about?)

I like the lore, I like the style, I love the descriptions of the abilities. I've always enjoyed playing monk characters. I do play everything though, definitely an alt-aholic.

Witch doctor was the second choice. Much love for necromancer classes, and WD is the closest for D3. Little odd getting used to as there isn't as much straight direct damage, but that makes it fun.
Reply Quote
I saw some videos of Beta gameplay, and noticed the hit points in monsters, as well as their speed and attacking patterns. I concluded that, unless good gear, new melee classes were going to have a hard time for some time. Simply, monsters moved faster than characters, which guarantee a surrounding and a who-dies-first combat.

Then it was between wizard and demon hunter. I noticed demon hunter's escape skills had no cooldown, while teleport did. I had more experience with amazon's gameplay too (D2), so it was demon hunter.
Edited by Nicator#1579 on 10/1/2013 3:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
My first experience with Diablo III was at Blizzcon 2011 playing the demo. I'm not sure why, but the Wizard called to me and I absolutely loved it. I enjoy the idea of having all the elements at my beck and call. My fate was pretty much sealed when I found out one of my favorite voice actors (and people) was the male counterpart.

I was thiiiiiis close to naming my first Wizard "Zelgadis."
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
My first character in closed beta was the monk. I was intrigued by the "Bruce Lee meets the Exorcist" vibe going on.
Reply Quote
it really felt/feels the Monk was made just for me.

i love religion and spirituality in general, i love eastern orthodox Christianity, Buddhism and Shinto in particular, i even go to a Coptic church down the street sometimes and feel right at home.

i am also sort of a hermit and live a very simple life. video games are pretty much the only luxury i allow myself, i am also a slender man with a big beard, i look somewhat similar to the monk (with hair, but sometimes i shave it if it gets too hot).

if i wasn't so attached to video games, there's a good chance i'd be a monk irl. in fact its something i think about daily, and its possible one day i will go all the way.

this is prolly way more info about myself than i should put on a forum. but blizz really did an amazing job with the monk (i mention this as someone who has actually thought of being a monk),

- and though a lot of the dialogue can be a little cheesy, the game actually has quite a bit of depth, and a heap of small nods to various religious materials.
Edited by epogow#1613 on 10/1/2013 3:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My first experience with Diablo III was at Blizzcon 2011 playing the demo. I'm not sure why, but the Wizard called to me and I absolutely loved it. I enjoy the idea of having all the elements at my beck and call. My fate was pretty much sealed when I found out one of my favorite voice actors (and people) was the male counterpart.

I was thiiiiiis close to naming my first Wizard "Zelgadis."

Yea the PvP back then was great, shame they are holding on to it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]