Diablo® III

Has the Devs discussed AH removal after announcement?

Suggestion:

Keep the GAH as is. It's better than trading (but you could trade if you like.) The GAH gives yo an idea of what things are worth and to compare items.

Change (drastically) the RMAH. Limit it to buying and selling of gold.

This gives players options. You do not have to use the AH, you can trade if you like. Not all of us like trading.

To totally eliminate the AH is too draconian this late in the game.

I know a lot of people seem to complain about it. I just don't understand why. If they don't like it, fine. Just don't use it. This is not rocket science.

+1

So that I don't actually needs to grind the game for gear, killing monster ... That's boring. Unlike farming AH, buy in low sell high, I actually can have my hands on all the BiS gear in days if I do it right. And I am gonna pvp, favourite target: "ignore the ah" Player, gotta love the fact when I pawn them like little ants and they are wondering why they are girding :D
Edited by HTIO#1309 on 10/7/2013 6:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If they remove the AH, I'll play again. If they don't, I wont. Pretty simple. No one can argue that the AH did not DESTORY this game.
Reply Quote
View profile
If they remove the AH, I'll quit. If they don't, I wont. Pretty simple. No one can argue that the AH did DESTORYYYY this game.

Fixed.
Reply Quote
10/03/2013 08:33 PMPosted by DOOM
With all due respect I find it outrageous you made such a change and only now do you bother asking what we think about it. I'll tell you what I think, I quit two weeks ago and am not buying the expac that up until this announcement I was planning to play heavily. You have taken my primary reason for playing d3 from me. I paid good money for this game with the rmah advertised as a prominent feature which was taken away after the sale was made. I feel beyond cheated and am not likely to buy any further Diablo titles made by this team of developers in the future.

I have to say this pretty much sums it up.

I've played D3 about 1600 hours. How come I was never asked if I wanted the AH removed? Don't tell me there was an 'official' survey when after 1600 hours of gameplay I was never asked whether I wanted it removed.
Reply Quote
With the cessation of AH and RMAH, I look forward to the implementation of Trade 2.0, please.
Reply Quote
Yes, you have a point, but why should third party websites ever be something we have to worry about? The "idea" that the game has to compete with those or offer you a platform that negates them was the biggest mistake in the first place..

Very true. I never played the original Diablo online. Didn't have to. The in-game drops kept up with the gameplay as you progressed and (go figure!) so did the items sold by the vendors. It was by no means easy to beat; you needed to use strategy and experimentation but it was doable, and thus, challenging and fun. Unfortunately D2 did not follow this model and trading became a necessity that the game devs did not compensate for. As I stated in my last post this caused me (and I am assuming many casual gamers like myself) to lose interest. The fact that they went to the trouble of developing and implementing their own, proprietary AH speaks volumes; they wanted to correct a failing from the last installment and lure those those that felt like I do back to purchasing this one. Now they have our money and can cut running costs by dropping this feature.

It completely changes the meaning of the game. And it opens up a can of worms that we might not even realize as gamers because I would not be surprised if the RMAH and GAH mean a lot of issues for the developers as well. Imagine it like that each time you come up with new concepts, ideas and changes for the game, be it for the expansion or the current game you have always to keep the auction house in mind. Particularly the RMAH since youre dealing with money here. This I assume can create a very frustrating situation for a developer, for example if you want to try to go new ways with the game or working on core mechanics. With the auction house you always have to keep the economy as whole in mind. Without it, you can concentrate on the experience of individual players..

I'm sure you are correct about this as well, but frankly, they dug their own hole here. How? By not fixing the core problem and instead beating their drum loudly to promote the AH way before game launch for the reason I stated above. No sympathy from me.

10/07/2013 09:57 AMPosted by CrniVuk
The auction house never caused third party websites to dissapear, nor in its current form was it really able to replace them.

No, just as repealing Prohibition never caused moonshine stills to totally disappear. The AH was a huge step in the right direction though, and it did greatly reduce their number and impact due to the fact that people now had a legitimate, in-game choice. I will take what you are stating at face value, although I have never had any need to even look outside the game thanks to the inclusion of the AH. Further, I can't fathom why anyone would risk a potentially unsafe purchase with the RMAH sitting right there. Using the Prohibition analogy again, it would be like going to a speakeasy to drink bathtub hooch when there's a legitimate bar with a liquor license across the street selling name brand alcohol.

A lot of items still get sold on forums and third party websites, its even worse, many of the not correctly obtained items like trough botting get sold on the Auction House as well same with Gold that was farmed by bots. Something that was pretty much frowned in previous games like D2 became now a huge gray area in D3.

Frowned on by whom? In D2 the devs never seemed to give rat's a**, as they allowed 3rd party bots to spam trade games and channels with impunty. They can't control what people will do to obtain items, but at least the AH gives the user a safe, convenient platform without all that crap.

And I dont even mention the effect it had on those so called china farmers. Hell there are enough stories where kids from the street are forced to play games like WoW pretty much all the time farming the same content over and and over again. Not a very pleasant idea. And Diablo 3 supports this by making it all "OK" with the auction house ... its a very questionable situation in my opinion..

But... You did mention it. Yes, it really, really sucks that this happens, but as I stated above, Blizzard cannot control the fact that scumbags in other parts of the world will exploit others for profit. What they can and did do was give those that bought ther software a safe platform to conduct trade on. As long as there is money to be made, that high end Windforce farmed by a Chinese prisoner is going to make it to market, whether it is one of the in-game AHs or a 3rd party site. Giving the end user no choice but walk through that 3rd party mine field doesn't change the life of that prisoner one iota.

A correctly done game should actually have no need for third party websites and black markets or what ever as far as the "normal" or "casual" player goes. Thats the point.

You nailed it. The key phrase being "correctly done", which I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone calling this game.

SOme people will ALWAYS fall back to that. But I dont even care about those. Why should I? And neither should Blizzard cater to them.

I never wanted to have to trade on D2 but had to and I sure as hell never spent real money on virtual items. I probably wouldn't be using the GAH now if the drops were better, but they're not, so Blizzard had to do something.

By creating the AH and more important the RMAH it always felt to me like they decided to make drugs legal because they saw that you cant eliminate drugs completely and with making it legal you could even earn the one or other buck with it. It was a wrong concept from the start.

This is where we differ greatly. Again, think of Prohibition: Alcohol sales went underground and criminals became richer and more powerful than most state governors. Like it or not, getting on board and regulating it was clearly the better choice. Yes, people continue to become alcoholics, die from alcohol poisoning, etc., but people are no longer getting mowed down in the streets with machine gun fire over turf wars to sell alcohol.

Likewise, legalizing other drugs would be a huge boon to the American economy, saving billions every year on law enforcement while pumping billions more into it through the taxes levied. It would ease the strain on the prison system and the criminal drug pusher would be marginalized. But (gasp!) what about the drug addicts it will create? If someone has an addiction problem (as millions already do), the money generated by taxing currently-legal narcotics will more than pay for free treatment facilities. A drug problem would no longer have to automatically be a crime problem as well.

Now, I can see your crisis of conscience in one regard: Being too cold to grow poppies in the U.S., !@#$%^- pretty much has to be made in warmer countries. The daily life of the conscripted laborer on a Columbian plantation really wouldn't get any better, and having to treat the drug lord/slave holders as legitimate business men seems repulsive. At least if they were doing legit business, it could open the door for international inspections and regulations.

But as in the case with Chinese gold farmers, lacking the ability to police the world, drawing some moral line in the sand by making game trade harder on our end isn't going to change a thing for them.
Reply Quote
10/07/2013 10:48 PMPosted by slicktrick
With all due respect I find it outrageous you made such a change and only now do you bother asking what we think about it. I'll tell you what I think, I quit two weeks ago and am not buying the expac that up until this announcement I was planning to play heavily. You have taken my primary reason for playing d3 from me. I paid good money for this game with the rmah advertised as a prominent feature which was taken away after the sale was made. I feel beyond cheated and am not likely to buy any further Diablo titles made by this team of developers in the future.

I have to say this pretty much sums it up.

I've played D3 about 1600 hours. How come I was never asked if I wanted the AH removed? Don't tell me there was an 'official' survey when after 1600 hours of gameplay I was never asked whether I wanted it removed.

BUMP!

If you want my theory, look at the last 2 paragraphs of my reply to TheChemist on the last page.
Reply Quote
March 18 2014. Virtual currency regulations issued March 18 2013. Coincidence? http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html

Will they admit the real reason soon?
Reply Quote
How about this for an alternative way to trade.. +1 and bump it if you like it! If you add more good ideas to it, I'll update the OP..

Paragon matching trade zone...

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10126592788
Reply Quote
Lets be honest for one second in your lives..90% of the people that don't like the auction house are people that don't consistently play the game anyways...all these people do is wine about how people "pay to win" which in some cases is true..but look at diablo 2..people do the exact same thing from a 3rd party site which is not as secure as buying things through blizzard..

The people who don't want the AH are either really bad at the game or just simply don't play the game like you think they do..gold will be worth nothing. If this really goes through and you take the AH out this game will steadily decline...We are not playing this game on a console. It need to be more complex on a PC version..Just because it works for consoles does not mean It will work for PC..You will have a huge problem with 3rd party sites..

Lets be real blizzard think about what your doing..check the peoples play times that are whining bout the AH..and u will see that these people barely even play the game..
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Twitter is the worst possible platform for this kind of discussion.

It’s a matter of how you frame the intent of a platform like Twitter. The restriction on characters encourages you to very carefully construct your thoughts, and that challenge can allow you to observe and analyze a situation in a different manner. Consider it an exercise in a different style of critical thinking.

In addition, I want to note that the use of Twitter isn't the sole way we’re collecting feedback. My intent was to give folks a heads up on this particular outreach, in case it had been missed.

they should really keep the important discussions here.

Keeping a discussion in a single place is generally not productive. That’s not exclusive to social media; whether it’s forums or elsewhere, limiting discussion by venue does a disservice to a very wide and diverse community. We understand not all players use Twitter. That’s true for the forums as well, and we want to make sure we gather as much feedback as possible. There’s a ton of discussion happening here on the forums and it's not going unnoticed. =)

I wish we'd get a more comprehensive statement about why they are removing the Auction Houses. We got a sudden notice and some boilerplate about it "not fitting in with the plan."

We have covered some of the finer details in our Auction House Update FAQ. The short version is that we want to ensure a rewarding and exciting loot experience. The Auction House and the economy it creates forces different decisions in how we approach loot. It was not a light decision to make, but we believe it’s in the best interests for Diablo III.

I do want to say that I see a lot of constructive feedback in this thread, and that’s awesome! If you have feedback, you’re welcome to continue using this thread to provide it (I’ll keep an eye out and extend the cap if necessary). We want you guys to keep talking, batting around ideas, and letting us know your thoughts as we share new developments.
Reply Quote
Nevalistis,

Many of us have made the point that removing the AH's was attacking the symptom (over-reliance on the AH) instead of the cause (poor loot itemisation).

Is there anything you / Blizzard could say about that?
Reply Quote
View profile
10/09/2013 01:41 PMPosted by Nevalistis
The short version is that we want to ensure a rewarding and exciting loot experience. The Auction House and the economy it creates forces different decisions in how we approach loot.

Are you going to remove useless random affixes from legendary items? It is really spirit crushing to ID a tal's ammy and see STR and cold resist as the 2 random properties. Or a skorn, you ID it...you see that big 300 INT and nice CD...then you see that the random mod is 103 DEX or 174 LoH. But when it's drop after drop after drop, it makes you not even want to play. I know people who have stopped picking up EVERYTHING because the chance of it being worth the 2 seconds and walk over to grab it is so infinitesimally small.
Reply Quote
Blizzard is becoming more and more a disappointment in my eyes.
Reply Quote
10/09/2013 02:16 PMPosted by ChangBooster
The short version is that we want to ensure a rewarding and exciting loot experience. The Auction House and the economy it creates forces different decisions in how we approach loot.

Are you going to remove useless random affixes from legendary items? It is really spirit crushing to ID a tal's ammy and see STR and cold resist as the 2 random properties. Or a skorn, you ID it...you see that big 300 INT and nice CD...then you see that the random mod is 103 DEX or 174 LoH. But when it's drop after drop after drop, it makes you not even want to play. I know people who have stopped picking up EVERYTHING because the chance of it being worth the 2 seconds and walk over to grab it is so infinitesimally small.

if items didn't roll random stuff then items wouldn't b worth anything...if everyone that picks up a tals ammy rolls it and its the same or good everytime then how will anything have any type of value if u want to trade? the whole point of rolling an item is having the chance to be good or bad...if everything was good or the same then whats the point of even having a roll just let it drop and already have stats..
Reply Quote
do you see how they don't answer the questions from the real players? check out the profiles of all the people that you responded to and see how much playtime the all have...these are the people that have 10 diff chars all with 30k dps...
Reply Quote
Removing the GAH was a GREAT move, because it will eventually mean the removal of gold as currency all-together. This means no more easy farming for bots. We'll ultimately end up with a bartering system like we had in Diablo2, only without the influx of duplicate items screwing up the market.

I hope Blizzard plans on implementing a convenient trade system, as opposed to just having us spam chat, but the removal of the GAH was a very important first step. Something that can be farmed at hell difficulty can't be the base-line currency for all the best gear.

this is a prime example or what I mean...This guy does not play the game hardcore and hes the one saying take off the AH. Most of them are like this. All the people that I know who have been playing this game since day 1 like me think taking the AH off the game is bad and they wont even wanna play anymore because there is no reward for finding a item. What is the point of having character specific stat items. What if you are building a wizard? Do you expect us to go around until we finally find a player that has the item we are looking for. But then you don't have a item that he needs or wants to trade for then what? No one will want gold.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]