Diablo® III

Re:Visit DH’s Defense

Since blizzard is doing skill overhaul, I have some suggestion in mind to add to our current list of defensive, tactical and hunting skills.

Keep these in mind as you read through
“Flee if you can, demon. I have a quiver full of friends who fly faster than you.”
—Tyla Shrikewing

Smoke Screen
  • 1 second invisibility (avoids all attacks and breaks crowd controls)
  • (add) Your movements are unhindered when are your covered in smoke.
    So we can walk out of danger and not just get stuck in the mist of danger

Displacement
    (change) Gain 60% movement speed for 3 seconds after activating smoke screen
    Phantom Bane (replace Lingering Fog)
    (change) Teleport to your destination and cast a shot wave of blades dealing 140% weapon damage to all enemies within 8 yards, affected enemies have their movement speed slowed by 60% for 3 seconds.
    Breathe Deep
    (change) Restore 20% maximum Life and Hatred after activating smoke screen.
    Special Recipe
    (change) Replace the Discipline cost with a 14 second cooldown.
    Choking Gas
    (change) Leave behind a cloud of poison that deals 700% weapon damage as Poison to enemies in the area over 5 seconds and confuse all affected enemies for 3 seconds. This cloud of poison will follow you as you move.

Shadow Power
  • Gain 15% of all damage done as Life for 5 seconds.
  • (add) Attacks you make with shadow power are imbued with shadow energy and slow all affected enemies’ movements by 60% for 3 seconds.
    Only having LS is not really a defensive skill, it was more of an “I don’t want to move and I want to kill” kind of skill. I’m adding the slow as default, could even replace the LS component and just move LS into Blood Moon and make Blood Moon a LS rune just like what they have for Barbarian Ignore Pain = Ignorance is Bliss.

Glass Moon (replace Night Bane)
    (change) Shadow Power shields you and reflects all missile and magic attacks back to the caster.
    Basically gain immunity to ranged and dot attack that come as a projectile while SP is active.
    Blood Moon
    (re-word) Gain 25% of all damage done as Life while Shadow Power is active.
    Rancor
    (change) Gain 1% additional damage to all attacks for each enemy within 45 yards.
    Gloom
    (no change)
    Shadow Glide
    (no change)

Vault
    I’m not changing anything in Vault but I want to talk about it. How many of you have an active monk that plays with Dashing Strike? After patch 1.05 this skill gained 2 treatments:
    - immune to all damage when “dashing”
    - animation scale with attack speed and movement speed.
    I have a few questions about the skill a couple months ago and Druin gladly answered them. I was surprise why we do not have the same kind of treatment in Vault. We need the same don’t you guys agree?

Marked for Death
    (change) cost: 6 discipline
    (change) Marks an enemy. The marked enemy will take 14% additional damage and bleed for 360% weapon damage for the next 30 seconds.

Contagion
    (no change)
    Valley of Death
    (change) Mark the ground beneath you for 12 seconds. All Enemies within 30 yards are affected by Mark for Death.
    Casting this rune will not interrupt with other skills.
    Grim Reaper
    (change) An additional 14% of damage done to the target is also divided among all enemies within 30 yards.
    Mortal Enemy
    (no change)
    Death Toll
    (change) Mark yourself for 6 seconds. You gain 40% weapon damage but bleed for 144% weapon damage over 6 seconds and lose all of your life recovery abilities.
    Casting this rune will not interrupt with other skills.

= Passives =
    Some of you will hate my ideas as you read through, I have done this before and I know the result, but I don’t like giving up.

Night Stalker
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/passive/night-stalker
    (replace with)
    Increase your maximum Discipline by 10 and Discipline regeneration by 1 per second.
    +10 maximum Discipline
    +1 Discipline per second
    *similar passives
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/barbarian/passive/animosity
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/wizard/passive/astral-presence

Or remove the passive skill but add another passive called
    Redemption
    Gain 3 Discipline for each enemy slaughtered by your attacks.
    (mobs killed by your party’s non-dh member will not grant you the bonus)

Perfectionist then becomes redundant in a lot of ways
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/class/demon-hunter/passive/perfectionist
    +10% discipline
    +10% armor (after patch 1.05)
    +10% all resistance (after patch 1.05)
    +10% life (after patch 1.05)
    I would scrap those and have these instead
    Gain 1% additional weapon damage per Discipline spent for 6 seconds. Your Discipline is restored if all enemies within 35 yards die within the next 6 seconds after spending you Discipline.
    +1% damage per discipline spent
    Effect last 6 seconds and resource is refund if mobs die within 6 seconds.

Numbing Traps
    Enemies hit by Caltrops, Smoke Screen, Marked for Death, Evasive Fire, Fan of Knives, Spike Trap, and Sentry have their damage reduced by 20% for 3 seconds.
    - added Smoke Screen, Marked for Death and Evasive Fire
    - removed Grenades

How's this list? Let me know what you think.

btw if you know where that quote comes from, I guess you are hunting at the right distance.
    Edited by KirusAlufras#1739 on 10/1/2013 10:47 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    In your version of the game, this multifaceted class we have is reduced to one facet. Not cool.

Other than that, Evasive Fire was a nice addition to NT.

I don't mind lore, I do see it as a personal expression though, especially when you develop it further.
    I too have lore for my own characters, but pretty much polar opposite of yours.

Just don't really see the need to take choice away from a class that offers so much.

And yes, you did ask.
    Reply Quote
    10/02/2013 06:12 PMPosted by sneakytails
    In your version of the game, this multifaceted class we have is reduced to one facet. Not cool.

I'm confused, please explain.
    Reply Quote
    Yeah, not the best wording by me on the first line there.

What I was trying to say but totally failed at was that I like the lore aspects of all DH's. I know you are trying at a more hunter and archery oriented character and that's great and looks good.

So I guess I am saying that I would like to play as many as I can and that they are all interesting to me. I would not mind one bit if this whole lore spec were selectable in a menu when you create a new DH. Perhaps this would create some attachment to your specific toons, each one having a specific lore flavor.

I would choose to run this spec and play it, just want my other choices still around as I personally see the DH's lore a bit more individual like each hunters story really is.
    Reply Quote
    I'm also confused...

So I guess I am saying that I would like to play as many as I can and that they are all interesting to me. I would not mind one bit if this whole lore spec were selectable in a menu when you create a new DH. Perhaps this would create some attachment to your specific toons, each one having a specific lore flavor.

I would choose to run this spec and play it, just want my other choices still around as I personally see the DH's lore a bit more individual like each hunters story really is.

There's a reference to the lore at the beginning for Steady Aim sure, but are you actually reading over what was suggested by Kirus without equating all of it to that one reference to DH lore?

The suggested changes here wouldn't be breaking any other way of playing a DH methinks.

In fact for the most part Kirus I really like them :-)

I don't understand why you have listed SP with LS still however, from what I have read/heard Blizz want to knock over LS for LoH to prevent spikes to our health pools for a more measured approach to gameplay.

I also think your Redemption passive would be OP but I actually like the intention behind it (faster regen of Disc).

Silver
    Reply Quote
    Super cliffs note version is that I am greedy. I want everything. Problem is..I cant have it.

I feel that numbing traps and grenades were made for each other, and that tanking is just a part of ranged style hunting as anything else. So the removal of grenades bothered me, doesn't mean I would not play this spec though.

If these changes were to go into effect I would prefer the choice to play what we have now and then at another time this particular version of the game, and perhaps select them from a drop down menu. I do like choice and that's why DH is so great.

Every time someone makes a larger list of suggestions like this and ties it to lore from a ranged point of view I say great, that's one side to the DH, there was a lot of this in the Juicypus mega post, there is always stuff I disagree with in any post like that, strongly in fact, but there really is no real reason for a class as diverse as the DH to loose any choices in game-play that we currently have.

I basically see a lot of purposed changes like this as great mod material later on down the line if nothing mentioned gets implemented in the actual game we have now.

Not bashing anyone here, just saying that I want to range, hunt and and tank till I flop, and any choices I have to help me do all of these things I strongly welcome.
    Reply Quote
    @sneakytails

I get it now, but don't misunderstand me

I dropped grenades because it is not a device skill nor was it a defensive skill. Also because the devs is changing how Grenadier works. There seems to be too many application where you can get grenades to effect the enemies.

I have MfD on the list because I added the "bleed" affect and the new valley of death. But it doesn't really belong as well.

I wanted the passive to work will all defensive skill so added EF
    smoke screen and caltrops are under the same restriction they must hit

so only CG and JS will work with the current game, so I added Phantom Bane to make Smoke more offensive.
    Reply Quote
    10/02/2013 09:51 PMPosted by Silver
    I don't understand why you have listed SP with LS still however, from what I have read/heard Blizz want to knock over LS for LoH to prevent spikes to our health pools for a more measured approach to gameplay.

because LS is fair compare to LoH.
    And SP is suppose to be a burst healing method, unless the LS part is completely removed like I have suggested.

LoH is much different from LpFs (what the barb is getting)
    You can heal from empty to full with LpFs within 1-2 seconds but you can't do that with LoH. The amount of LoH need to heal you from empty to full requires a lot of item affix.

The devs is not really wanting to remove LS. They want to remove the fact that players can heal from empty to full very quickly therefore ignore the need to have balance damage reduction when playing at difficulty selection outside of their characters abilities. They want to resolve some of those complains about "not ready for MP10 public games" and the fact that players can ignore elite effects by using LS.

If another healing method that can do the same as LS then they failed. And LoH is the next in line. They need to create a "smart" healing method.
    Reply Quote
    10/02/2013 11:29 PMPosted by KirusAlufras

because LS is fair compare to LoH.
    And SP is suppose to be a burst healing method, unless the LS part is completely removed like I have suggested.

LoH is much different from LpFs (what the barb is getting)
    You can heal from empty to full with LpFs within 1-2 seconds but you can't do that with LoH. The amount of LoH need to heal you from empty to full requires a lot of item affix.

The devs is not really wanting to remove LS. They want to remove the fact that players can heal from empty to full very quickly therefore ignore the need to have balance damage reduction when playing at difficulty selection outside of their characters abilities. They want to resolve some of those complains about "not ready for MP10 public games" and the fact that players can ignore elite effects by using LS.

If another healing method that can do the same as LS then they failed. And LoH is the next in line. They need to create a "smart" healing method.

It's not like a different healing method or they don't like heal to full. The problem origin is due to the healing scales with dps, which end up simplifies the gearing needs of players. Players just increase dps and their healing/defense need is fulfilled.

Healing to full instantly isn't the problem, since monk's breath of heaven, health globes, maybe even potions heals majority/full life. The problem is the moment when you're not full health is just split seconds, thanks to LS, and the second you weren't full life, you died.
    Reply Quote
    Here, this is the list of getting "removed" problems

Barbarian
    100% crowd control immunity
    Demon Hunter
    100% sustained life
    Wizard
    100% damage absorption
    100% crowd control
    100% arcane power

I haven't saw anything on the treatment for wizard yet. But I'm sure it will not be there when RoS hit live.

10/02/2013 11:37 PMPosted by HachiKumo
    Healing to full instantly isn't the problem, since monk's breath of heaven, health globes, maybe even potions heals majority/full life. The problem is the moment when you're not full health is just split seconds, thanks to LS, and the second you weren't full life, you died.

The problem is healing to full instantly all the time.
    And the problem that kills the player the second you are not at full health is just bad game balance...

on that issue I did some testing and here is the result
    white armor, and stack vit on weapon, off-hand, and jewlery
    61.29% damage reduction (3056/98) 46,823 life
    in MP0 8~11k per hit
    in MP10 20~24k per hit
    re-gear for full TANK
    88.31% damage reduction (5636/651) 140,513 life
    in MP10 6~8k per hit
    It takes 1min for 3 demon trooper to kill me. I had over 4000 life regen. A single desecrator can kill me in 11~12 seconds. You combine with multiple elites attacking you at the same time most of the healing method we have now are useless. LS is not OP, it is the only choice player have right now...

The devs are trying to fix this without life steal. And I think they are greatly nerfing the monsters again. The game is getting too linear after each patch...
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]