Diablo® III

Firebats Bug

Hi there!

So, I'm playing as Witch Doctor for a while now. I recently changed my skills and I love the new set now. Using the firebats swarming around is realy fun.

Problem is, as I'm stacked on enemies, it happens that somettimes it's not even doing any damage. Point is: I die for stupidities cause it's not doing damage and it annoys me.

The skill is very good, but if it's only doing damage 1/2 time, I don't think it's worth it.

Diablo team, fix this please :D

thanks.
Reply Quote
I don't think I have heard of anything like this happening before. Have you been able to re-create it? Any other people experience something like this?
Reply Quote
The 1/2 time that its not doing any damage... I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm guessing that its because the enemies are out of range.

I've never heard of such a bug, and if it is as frequent as you say, most of the WDs out there would be unplayable.
Edited by Marruk#1608 on 10/3/2013 11:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I've personally seen times when my character is doing the CoB animation but I don't see any actual firebats swirling around and it's draining my mana while doing 0 damage. If this is what you are experiencing then yes, it happens but I only get it maybe once in 5 runs.
Reply Quote
Ok I see the problem. You have no crit chance, so all you see is the occasional yellow crit since you're at 9.5 cc. Being surrounded by mobs and dieing leads me to believe that you just don't have enough cc or dps to sustain in those large mobs.

I could very well be completely off, I have heard of what SirPandalot has mentioned but it doesn't sound like what the OP is experiencing.
Edited by Tocean#1750 on 10/3/2013 11:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Could be lag issues.
Reply Quote
Also happens to me
Reply Quote
I think this is the best explanation to the problems you described is the hit-box of CoB and the hit-box of the mobs.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9245174503#6

In addition to what I wrote there, the CoB AOE may not be from the height of the ground, it may be from waist upwards. If I stand 2 steps higher than a short mob, the mob can be slashing at my toes happily while not getting hit by the CoB.
Reply Quote
10/03/2013 11:09 AMPosted by SirPandalot
I've personally seen times when my character is doing the CoB animation but I don't see any actual firebats swirling around and it's draining my mana while doing 0 damage. If this is what you are experiencing then yes, it happens but I only get it maybe once in 5 runs.

I experienced the same thing as well.
My WD will be waving it's arms as though he's casting, but the fiery swirl is not visible and no damage is dealt. It *seems* to continue to drain mana and the only way to recover is to release the spell and re-cast again.

Can't pinpoint the cause, but it seems to happen when I'm low or out of mana and trying to re-cast the CoB spell after an interruption (by mob) or that I've just performed another secondary spell and trying to recast CoB.
Edited by Puny#6528 on 10/3/2013 10:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/03/2013 10:02 PMPosted by Puny
My WD will be waving it's arms as though he's casting, but the fiery swirl is not visible and no damage is dealt. It *seems* to continue to drain mana and the only way to recover is to release the spell and re-cast again.

I don't think it drains mana, but the mana doesn't regenerate.

Known situations are more obvious when using PTV. The most likely reason is we have sufficient mana to perform the initial cast, but insufficient mana to produce the first tick of CoB.

Without PTV, initial cast = 221 mana, each tick uses 33 mana. When we have 240 mana remaining and begin CoB, we see all the animation but no actual bat or damage.

According to research by GunnersDream, we consume 221 mana upon casting and initiate the first tick consuming 33 mana after 2 frames (1/30th of a second).
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9572528254?page=1

To replay this problem, your mana must be between 222 and 254. Using PTV will have a 30% wider mana range to recreate the problem, which makes the situation happen more often.

Edit:
IMO, Blizzard programmers should have made the initial consumption 155 mana, then when we consume 2 ticks ( = 1 channel), we use up exactly 221 mana. If they coded it this way, it will be exactly as their tooltip describes.

However, even if they coded it this way, the "bug" is still existent, they are only shifting the "bug" mana bracket lower. To solve it, they must not allow any CoB casting below 254 mana, before factoring in mana discount skills and items. Depending on the mana discount skills or items, the minimum permissible mana to cast CoB will be lower.
Edited by PaulNg#6869 on 10/3/2013 10:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
IMO, Blizzard programmers should have made the initial consumption 155 mana, then when we consume 2 ticks ( = 1 channel), we use up exactly 221 mana. If they coded it this way, it will be exactly as their tooltip describes.

However, even if they coded it this way, the "bug" is still existent, they are only shifting the "bug" mana bracket lower. To solve it, they must not allow any CoB casting below 254 mana, before factoring in mana discount skills and items. Depending on the mana discount skills or items, the minimum permissible mana to cast CoB will be lower.

PaulNg, your explanation of the non-damage casting animation is spot on! I hope the OP can identify from both the situations you provided (hitbox issue / or CoB low mana issue) and confirm his situation.

I reckon that besides providing calculations that closer match the descriptor - i.e. to include the first channeling tick cost into the 'initial casting cost' of CoB, it would be good to have the animation terminated if the WD cannot sustain the CoB right after first cast so at least there's immediate interruption feedback for reaction.

Would you also reckon it would be better if the first channeling tick is distanced from the initial cast as a 'fix'? This allows a bit more time for mana regen & return spells (Devouring Swam/ Honored Guest/ GF/GI and other on-kill mechanics) to sustain an otherwise pre-mature cast of CoB.
Edited by Puny#6528 on 10/3/2013 11:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Would you also reckon it would be better if the first channeling tick is distanced from the initial cast as a 'fix'? This allows a bit more time for mana regen & return spells (Devouring Swam/ Honored Guest/ GF/GI and other on-kill mechanics) to sustain an otherwise pre-mature cast of CoB.

I reckon that initial cast should at least provide some damage, maybe 1 tick as a free gift. If I wanted to subscribe to a phone line that comes with a phone, the "initial cast" will be the phone itself and the "channel maintenance" is the subscription plan.

At the moment, we get nothing from the initial cast other than just waving our hands in the air.

The "fix" I think is to merge the 1st tick with the initial cast, and deduct the mana appropriately (221 as the tooltip says). The alternative is to insist on a higher minimum mana of 254 (before discounting for skills and equipment), but that will make the tooltip description wrong.

The second part of the skill description about 66 mana per channel, they should correct the wording to 33 mana per tick.
Reply Quote
Ok I see the problem. You have no crit chance, so all you see is the occasional yellow crit since you're at 9.5 cc. Being surrounded by mobs and dieing leads me to believe that you just don't have enough cc or dps to sustain in those large mobs.

I could very well be completely off, I have heard of what SirPandalot has mentioned but it doesn't sound like what the OP is experiencing.

In fact no. I play on MP 6 and I don't die much. The only moment I die is when, as I said, bats are not doing dmg. They'd say it's the range.. I said the enemies were right in my face. =/

I'll upload a video on youtube and link it. You'll see.

also, the dmg you can see on my profile isn't accurate. I have 70k, +10k from soul harvest and I get a lot more that get me to 125k dps from grusome feast.
Edited by Fruitylooty#1190 on 10/5/2013 11:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hi there!

So, I'm playing as Witch Doctor for a while now. I recently changed my skills and I love the new set now. Using the firebats swarming around is realy fun.

Problem is, as I'm stacked on enemies, it happens that somettimes it's not even doing any damage. Point is: I die for stupidities cause it's not doing damage and it annoys me.

The skill is very good, but if it's only doing damage 1/2 time, I don't think it's worth it.

thanks.

Yup, this happens all the time to me, I'll have the Mana and doing the animations of attack but no bats as I stand there for a second and recast. Total BS from Blizz, and it's only with bats.

If the game isn't letting players attack, don't do the animations.
Edited by battletag#11838 on 10/5/2013 2:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
A lot of this sounds as simple as just lag honestly. That's what it usually does, you are in a different game state than the reality which will show built in graphics not server graphics, so your character will be doing certain things and nothing will actually be happening
Reply Quote
10/03/2013 10:43 AMPosted by Fruitylooty
Hi there!

thanks.

I've just found that Firebats must be bugged. It (no rune) doesn't do 385% damage as it says but more like 190% or so. I've just tested the numbers and my spirit barrage 230% (no rune) does more damage than my firebats 385% (no rune). How can 230% > 385%? Do the monsters have incredibly high fire resistance and incredibly low physical resistance? That's the only difference between them and nothing else. Either or I don't get the mechanics and the math or firebats is really bugged. The 230% spirit barrage seems consistent with my weapon's base damage but firebats 385% is not at all! BLIZZARD, please fix this bug.
Reply Quote
I think i've finally figured out. Firebats ticks twice as fast and so two damage numbers per second. Sigh.
Reply Quote
It does 385% weapon damage split between 2 ticks per second at 1.0 APS.

So you're about right, 385% weapon damage / 2 = 192.5% weapon damage per tick.

If your attack speed is higher, your bats tick more often. For instance, 2.0 aps is 4 ticks per second and 1.5 aps is 3 ticks per second.
Reply Quote
10/03/2013 11:17 PMPosted by PaulNg

I reckon that initial cast should at least provide some damage, maybe 1 tick as a free gift. If I wanted to subscribe to a phone line that comes with a phone, the "initial cast" will be the phone itself and the "channel maintenance" is the subscription plan.

At the moment, we get nothing from the initial cast other than just waving our hands in the air.

The "fix" I think is to merge the 1st tick with the initial cast, and deduct the mana appropriately (221 as the tooltip says). The alternative is to insist on a higher minimum mana of 254 (before discounting for skills and equipment), but that will make the tooltip description wrong.

The second part of the skill description about 66 mana per channel, they should correct the wording to 33 mana per tick.

Seriously Paul why don't they make you one of those forum MVPs... unless you declined to be one. lol.

I also do experience that sometimes but only to the extent SirPandalot is experiencing...
Edited by Ozquickee#6169 on 12/6/2013 8:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
12/06/2013 08:34 PMPosted by Ozquickee
Seriously Paul why don't they make you one of those forum MVPs.

OK, WTH.. PaulNG is well known, perfect candidate and there are NO WD MVP's.. how do we rectify this atrocity??

Let us know what to do bud... you deserve it
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]