Diablo® III

Blue post on mod/hack weps please

(Locked)

10/02/2013 11:30 AMPosted by Hodor
i have no problem with hacker/cheater either, am i suppose to be a cheater aswell?

this one hugs Cheaters
10/02/2013 12:15 PMPosted by Jugernaut
Sometimes I think ppl are just plain dumb... Listen... It's not hard to cheat... Type in google "Diablo 3 (ps3 or xbox) saves files and put them in your console. You'll have. Barb with 3 trillion, 4 billion, 298k dmg... When you crit on a demon... The crit number is as long as the screen... All fun for a good 5 mins. !@#$ it... If they don't care then let the fun begin ... Just don't complain later when you have ppl walking around with light sabers for weps... Oh and forget about pvp. That %^-* it's truly never gonna b out.

Truth... like you said "All fun for a good 5 mins" After those 5 minutes there's absolutely no fun to be had, unless you wanna play god.

True fans of the game just need to hang in there, all the modders will get bored soon and you'll only have "real" players left, just give it some time.
10/02/2013 12:23 PMPosted by echocrack
True fans of the game just need to hang in there, all the modders will get bored soon and you'll only have "real" players left, just give it some time.

^ possibly the most reasonable statement i've read here in a long time.

and it's entirely true. don't let the antics of various cheaters and lazy/useless folk spoil your game. they will eventually get bored and move onto the next thing since I imagine like most children these days they have extremely tiny attention spans.

- yes the game needs a kick option.

- yes it would be nice for the game to be able to detect and/or limit modded items and save games

but these things take time, so have some patience, locate some other legit players to play co-op with and focus on the good things this game has to offer.
Did you guys ever think that maybe the reason why Blizzard hasn't
commented on it is because they can't do a whole lot about it because
the data is saved to your hard drive and its an off line game they have no
control over the online server if it bothers you that much do what I do play
with legit friends making post after post won't get you anywhere.
If you think blizzard didn't know this would happen, think again. As of right now they have already had two other games that allowed local saves. And look what happened to those games.

Diablo 1: doomgaze anyone?
Diablo 2 open battle.net: million level characters.

So yeah I would bet money that they knew this could and would happen
Community Manager
In order to bring Diablo III to consoles, we knew significant changes were going to be necessary to make the game accessible to the widest possible console audience. One of those changes was the option to play offline on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. A byproduct of this feature is that these save files don't require verification, which lets you jump straight into slaughtering the minions of Hell.

While exploring ways to discourage exploitative behavior is something we're continuing to do (so thank you for your reports), players appear to be enjoying their battles through Sanctuary and finding great loot along the way. Based on feedback we've received, we believe this experience has more value than simply copying another person's set of gear.
Sounds good to me.
In order to bring Diablo III to consoles, we knew significant changes were going to be necessary to make the game accessible to the widest possible console audience. One of those changes was the option to play offline on Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. A byproduct of this feature is that these save files don't require verification, which lets you jump straight into slaughtering the minions of Hell.

While exploring ways to discourage exploitative behavior is something we're continuing to do (so thank you for your reports), players appear to be enjoying their battles through Sanctuary and finding great loot along the way. Based on feedback we've received, we believe this experience has more value than simply copying another person's set of gear.

Well copying another person's gear is one thing, running around with 4,235K dps at level 1 is quite another. I'm sure blizzard is going to do what they can to address this issue, but in the meantime the online portion of consoles is simply not a good place to play unless you do so alone or with trusted friends.

Of course if you enjoy random people in your game one shotting every monster that spawns and obliterating everything in sight then Diablo III Online on consoles is a seriously fun and rewarding experience. :P
If it doesn't mess up your game or console then you shouldn't have too much of a problem. The only time it should be a problem is when it does mess up your game or you are competing against each other. Cheat codes have been in games and some of them can be fun sometimes, it is only when you cheat and want to been seen as better than someone, that it is a problem.
Edited by Skunkleaf#1838 on 10/2/2013 6:01 PM PDT
Finally a reply, yet its vague. Didn't even acknowledge the hacks and mods, just duping. Pretty disappointing.

TLDR ANSWER FROM BLIZZARD: Not that much people mind so we don;t care either.
There is a stop-gap solution to authenticating everyone's profile: allow one to customize the maximum equiped and stashed item levels and dps that players bring to a hosted game. Such a system could be as simple as the Battle.net D2 lobby where you could specify the maximum level difference with an iterative numerical control. This way, players can choose.
I'm stunned that a Blue replied. I'll need to check tomorrows weather forecast to see if snow is predicted in hell.
Players ask for an offline mode and we got it. Isnt the solution going back to DRM to resolve this?

If players are going to 1 shot everything with mod stuff, they are the one who is losing out on enjoying the game experience. If they enjoy doing so, then good for them.

How do they affect you in anyway? There is no PVP, there is no AH, there is no RMAH, there is no competition of any kind.

At the end of the day, the scenario is similar to D2 where people traded with duped items. The only difference is that nobody traded anything this time
90 Pandaren Monk
It's funny. People get upset for always online to protect against this stuff, and then when always online goes away, and this stuff happens...well...they get upset again...
There are public lobbies and public lobbies for pvp. More than half of the games I've joined have dupers in them. It affects players like me because I can't jump into a 4 player dungeon and say that we finished the dungeon or beat the boss because of our skill and preparedness; just that I got to participate/spectate with someone one-shotting everything.

Another game I like to play is Mass Effect and its multiplayer component. It's a blast because when I join a public match, I know that I'll be able contribute to the team and complete something fun by working together with others on the same turf as me. I'd like to see this kind gameplay in Diablo, and it's almost impossible with how rampant the cheating is. That's why it affects players. Cheating ruins both competition and cooperation.
While I'm personally not affected by cheaters since I play only offline (too glitchy Internet) it's somewhat annoying to keep reading the same extreme statements over and over. It's not as black and white as some people try to make it. Examples:

"It's not a problem, just don't play with cheaters".
It's not that easy. What if someone used only slightly modded items? Only dupes of originally legit items? What if all that the player is carrying/trading in themselves are legit items, but were farmed using modded gear? How can you tell? Where would you draw the line? Just because YOU don't care or see a problem, it doesn't make it a non-real problem for others.

"People should be allowed to play the game any way they see fit, including cheating."
True - offline. Cheat online and you are taking away the right for others to play the game they want. This (legit) way also happens to be the way the game was intended to be played, so that wins by default.

"Nothing can be done about hacking/duping; allow offline/USB save and there is no point in even trying"
While it's true that trusting the client for securing data ultimately breaks all security in a fundamental way, it does NOT mean that nothing can or should be done. Here are a few examples of countermeasures I pulled out of my rear right now, I'm sure much more sophisticated methods that can be figured out by security experts.

First of all, PS3 saves are normally encrypted. I haven't bothered looking at the Diablo III save file, but I'm confident this is encrypted also since this is done by the PS3. I know nothing of xbox but I'm sure there is a similar mechanism in place.

This means that you can't just take a hex editor, open the save file and expect to see data that makes any kind of sense, nor alter it in a meaningful way. If you hex-edit an encrypted save file on random, it will not load back into the game (it will be corrupted). There are ways to decrypt save files. They can then be edited and later re-encrypted and re-signed. How difficult the actual editing part is depends on the game (possible custom encryption applied by the game, CRC checks etc).

My point is: It's non-trivial to edit the game saves. It's possible if you are willing to learn how to do it, and it can be a very interesting excersize in itself, but I dare say it's NOT the same people running around in the actual game with modded items that create the actual modded save files. At this point it's fairly safe to assume it's not the actual modders that are the problem, but the dupers (of both legit and hacked items)

So what about duping? Same problem - trust the client, and there will be problems. It will be hard to completely eliminate this, but not that hard to make it be a so small problem it can be ignored:

- From what I read here there are hacked save files with insane gear you can just download and use (trade them to your normal chars I guess?). Blizzard of course have these save files as well. These items are probably the ones being circulated, with little variation (but correct me if I'm wrong). Hashes of all these known and widely circulated items should be made and stored on the servers used for online play.

- Update the game in the next patch so that it creates hashes of all items when a player goes online, and upload the list to the server. Compare hashes against known hacked items (above). Refuse online play while known hacked items exist in the players profile. Just removing the offending items is another option, but that is more extreme and could in theory hurt innocent people (hash collitions for example). This alone would solve most of the problem. It's basically a "virus scan" approach so it would be an arms race, but clearly doable.

- More advanced, but same basic concept: Look for objects in general with identical hashes while people play online, and take reasonable action when identical objects are found on two or more players at the same time. This would take more game server resources, but it would kill duping of both "legit" and hacked items.

- A completely separate approach: When an object is first created (dropped as loot or crafted), tag the object with something traceable. PSN account ID comes to mind in the case of PS3. When an object changes owner (traded, or dropped and picked up by someone else, add the new owner's ID after the first one, and so one. This makes an object traceable backwards and would make it possible to detect the source of mass-duping or hacked items. (Who knows - perhaps this, or someting similar, is already in place and suddenly mass banning from online play will happen? Sony has been known to completely disable PSN accounts for people running modified PS3 firmwares for example... I would not feel 100% safe using modded gear myself - especially if I didn't mod it myself...)

All of the above methods can be circumvented by a person with enough motivation and knowledge, since trusting the client / physical access ALWAYS is an ultimate fail if someone REALLY wants to break security. However, these (quite few) persons with both the skill and motivation are not the same people running around ruining other players' games. I am fairly certain of this. So, please stop it with the "nothing can be done so let's not even care or try". Either surrender completely and ship the game with a character editor + world editor (hey that would be fun actually ;) ) or at least stop the 99% than can be easily stopped.

Sorry for the tl;dr post btw ;)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]