Diablo® III

◊ ShockNadoShards (SNS) [VIDEO guide]

MVP - Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
ShockNadoShards (SNS) - A Video Guide
By PieHole#1628

LINK to video guide: http://youtu.be/c_e8LM7WRR0
LINK to text guide: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8728753771#1

A companion to the text guide for the Diablo III Wizard build, ShockNadoShards (SNS)

This video is intended to help players that are either new to the wizard class or are transitioning from a standard CM build to the SNS build. This guide will be helpful in understanding the basics of how the CM build work and how to get the most out of it by running SNS. While most of the content will help new players or even fairly seasoned players be successful, the godly players among us will likely be out of luck....unless you're looking for a nap! You guys already know what you're doing. No swords or daggers we harmed in the creation of this video. Sorry.

Just throw the video up on your smartphone and let it play in the background as you're hunting demons throughout Sanctuary. Hopefully you'll learn something along the way.

Enjoy!

...pie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0:00 - Opening
4:49 - Definitions and Introduction
14:00 - Active and Passive Skills....and Combinations
23:00 - In-depth Discussion of Attack Speed, Breakpoints, Critical Hit Chance, & APOC
32:30 - Standard Gear Setups
49:13 - Gear Discussion
1:16:34 - Stat Benchmarks, Damage Multipliers, and D3up.com
1:27:22 - How to play? Example Warrior's Rest Run
1:30:54 - End Credits
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER:
Names, items, places, etc. featured in the video belong to Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All music used belong to their respective recording artists. All included footage credited to their original recorders. No copyright infringements are intended. This video is not to be used for personal profits.

Danger: Please do not feed the trolls!
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 11/5/2013 7:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
So, yes, after being inspired by Jaetch's Archon guide there were too many thoughts on how to do it for SNS going through my mind. This was the only way to make them stop!

Many Paragon levels have been sacrificed in the making of this video. This was (along with my little boy and his open heart surgery incident!) largely responsible for the ridiculous amount of time that it took me to reach P100. I managed to have that event make it into the opening of the video, of course!

Its not nearly as good as I had wanted it to be, but this will have to do. I started working on it before Loot, XP, and shared paragon were announced. Since those changes will affect SNS I just needed to put it out there before the advice becomes outdated and irrelevant.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

(and we'll see you in game....now that I have time to do that....instead of video editing, lol)
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 10/2/2013 9:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
(reserved)
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 10/2/2013 6:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ooohhh... will definitely check this out after I make some mi goreng (instant noodles).
Reply Quote
View profile
10/02/2013 06:36 AMPosted by MrDuMa
mi goreng

no mi goreng at my local grocery store. I checked. Me sad.
Went with Nongshim Shin Bowl instead. Pretty good stuff.
Reply Quote
Now it just falls to Malakai to do a SleetStorm video guide of 1h45min. ;)

Congratz for the work, dude, I'm going to check it on my work break today!
Reply Quote
Shin Ramyun? That's also a very strong choice.

Does America have mi goreng? I'm sure you guys do... if not, I will send everyone some.

Now it just falls to Malakai to do a SleetStorm video guide of 1h45min. ;)

Congratz for the work, dude, I'm going to check it on my work break today!

Tekk for Meteor?
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
I guess I have to watch this later :P
Twitter: @Jaetch
Reply Quote
Well done Piehole! Loved the music, obv ;)
Reply Quote
I zoned out a bit during the break point gear comparison but got through it all. Here is my feedback...

I'm generally not a huge fan of long intros, but I'll let this one go because jenpeezey was in it.

I thought your dialogue levels was a tad low compared to the background track. Otherwise it's pretty good.. minimal to no feedback or excess noise.

Adding the chapters somewhere would be good.

I always thought the breakpoint was 2.51APS? It's 2.5001... does it just round to 2.50 or do you still need 2.51?

lol... thanks for the crappy Australian ping shoutout (y)

Gear comparison is extremely extensive. I fell asleep a few times (mind you it's 3am now).. not sure if some of it was necessary, though it does give people a lot of different options.

Nice touch on ending on Melkor's CM LS.
Reply Quote
View profile
10/02/2013 10:07 AMPosted by MrDuMa
I'm generally not a huge fan of long intros, but I'll let this one go because jenpeezey was in it.

Yeah...I agree...its a little long. I knew what song I wanted to use...just needed a good stopping point. And I needed to add that in myself...the track kept going on and on...I had to end it sometime. PZ always makes things better.

Gear comparison is extremely extensive. I fell asleep a few times (mind you it's 3am now).. not sure if some of it was necessary, though it does give people a lot of different options.

You should have seen how long it was when I did it free form on the AH...kinda like what Jaetch did! For a variety of reasons I just picked an example or two from the gear of people on my friends list and that got the point across. And I also wrote a script and just plowed through it. Cut out alot of time.

I thought your dialogue levels was a tad low compared to the background track. Otherwise it's pretty good.. minimal to no feedback or excess noise.

The music was the last thing I added in. I probably needed to do more work and be more consistent with it...and go over everything one more time. With so many songs, hopefully it was only distracting in a few places (hopefully just where a song get louder...then softer within a track? ) I toned it down on a few songs where I noticed it....probably missed a few.
I was pretty impressed that I recorded my voice-over on the iPhone memp recorder. then emailed the track to myself and ported it into the program. Not bad quality.

I always thought the breakpoint was 2.51APS? It's 2.5001... does it just round to 2.50 or do you still need 2.51?

I had a discussion with someone on a thread somewhere about this. Its really the "anything above, but not exactly on the 2.5 AS breakpoint" Same thing with the "3.0 breakpoint." Its tougher with the 2.73 breakpoint, because its not an even number....its a fraction...2.7273xxxxx So, yeah, its tough to convey properly. And 2.5001 doesn't do it,....because even 2.50001 is above the breakpoint. And I know somewhere in there I verbally say the wrong thing...just out of habit. sigh.

Nice touch on ending on Melkor's CM LS.

wouldn't have ended it any other way!

Thanks for the feedback!!

Edited by PieHole#1628 on 10/2/2013 10:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just duck the music a little more. The voice recording is clear enough that the background is never interfering but sometimes distracting. I've done a few projects before and some people just liked "no silence" so their background track was very very low to the point you couldn't almost hear it.

Personally, that's too low.. having enough to mask the noise or buzz from your recording is usually enough but you want to have something there to fill the silent gaps. Overall, still a good job (y)

And about Duel of the Fates... I really like that track ever since Episode One. I suspected that you wanted to keep the intro going because of the track length. You want the ending since it builds up to a dramatic climax but you want enough lead in so the build up is there... maybe you could've started from half way in the song so there was some build up?

More snappy editing sync'd to the song would've been decent.. I didn't really like the zooms you used.

hahaha yeah... having a script to go by is definitely the way to go. Don't wanna run this thing on the fly otherwise you'd still be editing and adding bits you forgot lol

Hmm... guess I'll keep pushing 2.51 and 3.01 then because you really can't really achieve 2.5001 or 3.0001 without bumping up it up 2.51 and 3.01 respectively, even if it's as close as you can possibly get.

Anyway, I didn't even know you were making this so it's a bit of a surprise... a nicely packaged surprise that is :)
Reply Quote
I dunno, I've made a few videos myself, and while I don't pretend for them to be flawless by any stretch of the imagination, they're good enough. I have audio issues, video issues, and of course, I'm one ugly duckling to stare at for 3-4 minutes. You can edit, you can adjust, you can blah blah blah, but it will never be perfect.

As George Lucas once said, "Great [works] are never completed, only abandoned."

I think what you did here is straight up awesome, PieHole. Congratulations, and thank you for including my music in your video. Honored, really.
Reply Quote
I'm watching this right now, Pie!

I love loop diagrams! OMG!
Reply Quote
View profile
10/02/2013 11:37 AMPosted by jenpeezey
I'm watching this right now, Pie!

Funny how you did a whole clear of Festering, including the two caves, for me........and all you end up with is a simple 5 second cameo doing a cyclone strike on a few harmless trash enemies, lol. It was the best, cleanest cyclone strike of them all though....at least the one I thought looked the best. Thanks for the help!
Reply Quote
Pie, I'm glad to be part of your project. :-) It's an honor, really.

Great video -- I love it! What a tremendous effort and so much patience.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
Pie, your voiceover for the video reminds me of nature documentaries.

"Here you can see a SNS wizard in its natural environment..."

I'll try and get through the rest when I get home from work (I'm supposed to be helping out with an e-mail marketing campaign right now... clearly not into it :P).

Thanks for the shoutout in the beginning, by the way. I'm glad I played a small role in prompting you to do this project.

Edit: haha, I just noticed you took my "disclaimer."

Edit 2: I went ahead and linked your guide to the beginning of my Archon guide.
Twitter: @Jaetch
Edited by Jaetch#1861 on 10/2/2013 3:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/02/2013 03:08 PMPosted by Jaetch
"Here you can see a SNS wizard in its natural environment..."

And upon reading this, Melkor and I went into hysterics with a honey badger narration for SNS.

SNS don't give a $h!7. It's pretty bad@$$. SNS wizards are just crayyyyy-zy. They have no regard for any affixes whatsoever.
Reply Quote
View profile
10/02/2013 03:08 PMPosted by Jaetch
Pie, your voiceover for the video reminds me of nature documentaries.

Uh, thanks.

Oddly, I've never recorded myself....and really heard myself talk like that. Its a wonder I'm 2/2 on job interviews and offers. Should have paid PZ or Melk or JMammy to do the voiceover.

Edit: haha, I just noticed you took my "disclaimer."

Yeah. I was going to reword it, say it a little differently, and try not to plagiarize. Or ask you b4 hand. I just took it, lol. Hope you don't mind.

Edit 2: I went ahead and linked your guide to the beginning of my Archon guide.

Sweet...thanks!
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 10/3/2013 7:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
awesome thanks for the guide PieHole... currently dl'ing it at 30 kb/s lol so it wll take a little before i get to watch it.

Can't wait! thanks :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]