Diablo® III

◊ ShockNadoShards (SNS) [VIDEO guide]

Keep this going.

Answers almost all questions for people starting up.

Plus the music !
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
weekend bump ;-)
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Visibility buff.
Twitter: @Jaetch
Reply Quote
Visibility buff.
Twitter: @Jaetch

debuff - failed
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
hahaha
Reply Quote
Ok, I've watched this video probably 2-3 times cover to cover, and I've reviewed segments maybe 10-15 times (esp. the generic "gear setup" section where it lists what items you can use to accomplish breakpoints).

I've spent my gold, and I have SNS working. The problem is my DPS is -LACKING- big time. I'm hovering around 132k, and I haven't even hit all of my goals for defensive stats. I went with a fast chant because I was able to find a great deal on a high-ish end version. (1.79, 1130dps, 196int)

766 AR (816phyiscal, 834poison)
4152 Armor (would love another 200-300, blackthorne's pants is a possibility, but I hate to lose ANOTHER 4k dps just for that thresh hold when survivability at my current MP level's (I run on MP6) isn't the problem.. that being said I have a pair with AR in my stash to bump up to that number)
45k HP
56.5 CC (my rasha ammy could be bumped up to higher CC, but is that the best place to drop gold?)
160 ChD (pitiful, and would likely be my best place to gain DPS at this point)
2.76 APS
18 APOC
889 LOH

All of those #'s are without follower. Add 3% crit and as result 3-4k DPS with Scoundrel.

I just am stuck, and maybe it's because I have truly reached a place where my upgrades are going to be 200m+ a piece. I have some budget for upgrades, but the problem will be figuring out WHERE I can make progress with a limited budget, as opposed to having billions in the bank.

And before anyone says anything, I know playing the game and finishing p100 would boost my stats a little as well without spending any gold. I'm working on it :-)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/CrashPrime-1734/hero/13329343

And as far as my goals, I basically want to be able to run MP8 efficiently. I feel like that is the sweet spot for gearing with out becoming a credit card hero. The gear setup I go for should allow me to swap out bracers/amy to attack speed items to get up to the 3.01 breakpoint so I can do MP10 ubers in groups. I feel like my job isn't DPS in that setting as much as keeping the freeze going.
Edited by CrashPrime#1734 on 11/3/2013 12:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Heya CrashPrime! Thanks for watching the video (many, many times!).

I think that you are geared pretty well for the mid level MP's (especially from the mitigation standpoint (87% is good)). However, there are a few things to think about moving forward.

Tal Ammy...I obviously put this in the guide, but also said that its not one of my favorite items. It does wonders for INT (and, therefore some AR) and VIT, but is lacking in CD since it maxes out at 65%. I'd look for a rare one with 8CC and 80CD. Everything else is a bonus...get one with some INT for sure, and maybe some VIT. Even without the VIT from the ammy you'll be at 38k...which is respectable, but maybe a little low. I'd stick to about 40k life. So, I'd look for an ammy that fulfills those needs.

T&T...great for low and mid CM's (because of 50 for all stats plus the huge armor roll) but they start to outlife their usefullness as you get to 150k DPS and march toward 200k (which is where you can solo MP8). I'd start looking for trifecta gloves with AR...probably 70AR or more if you can (since you'll be losing the armor from T&T...or make up some AR/armor elsewhere).

belt/shoulders/boots....pretty solid

Pants....gotta have 2OS. that's 50-60 INT you're missing out on right there. Another possibility here, is one with ~60 INT and ~60 VIT....(or better) that's essentially what you would get out of 2OS. Kinda like the ones on my wiz Galinda. (except you'd do 150INT/150VIT/AR).
rare ring - gotta work in some CD there, eventually.
bracers - would like to see armor there too.
force - INT can go up to, and over, 300. With VIT, if possible.

11/03/2013 09:51 AMPosted by CrashPrime
160 ChD (pitiful, and would likely be my best place to gain DPS at this point)

largely, this is the problem. You could easily get 25 more from a rare ammy...and you need to add CD you rings and gloves.

11/03/2013 09:51 AMPosted by CrashPrime
I just am stuck, and maybe it's because I have truly reached a place where my upgrades are going to be 200m+ a piece.

Largely, this is also true. I really started to top out a 150 or 160k DPS...that's when it really started to get tough for me. Then, i just started flipping non-stop....to get the funds to get to 200k DPS....and then progressed from there. I'm in the middle of changing around my gear, so my profile is all messed up, lol. Always tinkering.

Now, something also to consider...and it depends on what you long term goals are...but you really start to struggle with an IAS wand as you get toward 200k DPS and over. i topped out at about 230k DPS, but it was tough. its much smarter to move to OS Will at about 175 or 180k.....plan for that transition. As much as I loved my IAS wand...it has is limitations. That being said...if 175K DPS and MP8 solo is your goal....then I'd stick with an IAS wand.

Also rememmver, since you have an 1.79 wand, you are allowed ONE 8 IAS item. use it wisely!.

Cheers...and good luck!
Reply Quote
With some tweaks you suggested, I seem to have made it to 175k without much difficulty. The main thing lost was vitality. I jumped down to 38k (Rasha ammy was holding DPS back a lot but did have its huge VIT chunk, it'll just be a matter of finding an ammy with some vit, but similar DPS stats ... ie: that 200mil+ budget that i'll have to take a bath with).

Your upgrade suggestions make perfect sense in principle, but I will have to take your advice on flipping AH items to afford them.

Adding ChD to a Nat's (Triflection as its called) and the rare ring, without losing DPS, translates to my bank account crying quietly in the corner.

That being said thank you so much for taking the time to look at my gear and offer me suggestions. I really enjoyed the video (I'll probably watch it a few more times taking your additional suggestions into account vs. what you say in the video)

I hope you have some things to say after RoS to keep Wizards at the most optimal balance.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Not bad, my friend!

before:
130k DPS with IAS wand
4152 Armor
766 AR
= 87.4 mit
45k life

after:
177k DPS with OS wand
4079Armor
750 AR
= 87.1 mit
38k life

However, you have somewhat fallen for the dragon (DPS) trap. In chasing DPS (by going OS Will) you have lost something...and that is life. Kudos for keeping your Mitigation the same...but if you are playing the higher MP's you'll probably want to add a little more (88% to be safe, 89% for comfort, with litany being a good alternative (i.e. - elite reduction acts like AR). Lacunis and trifecta ammy are brutal for EHP/mitigation....and are the tradeoff for more DPS (OS Will).

I really liked using a 1.78/79 IAS wand. It was kind of my meta-game. Everyone else was going OS, but I wanted to resist and see how far I could push the IAS wand. Also, lacunis and trifecta ammy's were really, really expensive back 6-8 months ago...and prices have come way down. So...its more reasonable to make that switch now.

But, once again.....not bad!! Keep it up.
Reply Quote
Sup Pie mind if i get a gear check? I can do mp 10 but i do have some problems. Wondering whats the best way to upgrade my gear. I can afford to lose 2%Ias and still hit the 2.74 BP.
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
11/05/2013 05:02 AMPosted by Jt3z
Sup Pie mind if i get a gear check? I can do mp 10 but i do have some problems. Wondering whats the best way to upgrade my gear. I can afford to lose 2%Ias and still hit the 2.74 BP.

Heya....

...so, looks like your problem is likely mitigation, you're a little short. Your DPS is fine for MP10...and, although 18APOC is on the "minimum" side, you are in the high 50's for CC, so that's also fine (nitpicking a little bit). lol...heck, even I just have 18 right now too!

Mostly, its just that you're at 87% mitigation...and I suggest 88% as a minimum for MP9/10 with 89% being comfortable. Using a litany can compensate for low mit...since the elite reduction acts as about 60-80 extra AR.

I guess your WH is OK...but I think you could do better with a 150 INT one....with VIT.
You have no AR on either ring or your bracers...and that's a problem. I know you like the 300 INT and 150 VIT on your bracers....but the low CC and lack of AR/armor is killing them. I wouldn't put anything on unless it had 50AR and 5CC....or armor...or something.

Your gloves are kinda solid...in a way. You'll have to beat 8/9.5/30 with 140INT/50 VIT/65AR to beat them. I'd be looking.

Your chest is really weak...fire resistance is a wasted roll. You ought to be able to get 170INT/170VIT/70AR pretty cheaply....or, since you need mit, something like 170INT/65AR/700armor. That'd be nice.

tl;dr....more armor on your chest and AR on your bracers would go a long way toward helping your mit problem.
Reply Quote
pie can you help me giveaway the gear on my male? I was AHing so much i saw all these crazy deals and made a set.
Reply Quote
11/05/2013 06:45 AMPosted by PieHole

Heya....

...so, looks like your problem is likely mitigation, you're a little short. Your DPS is fine for MP10...and, although 18APOC is on the "minimum" side, you are in the high 50's for CC, so that's also fine (nitpicking a little bit). lol...heck, even I just have 18 right now too!

Mostly, its just that you're at 87% mitigation...and I suggest 88% as a minimum for MP9/10 with 89% being comfortable. Using a litany can compensate for low mit...since the elite reduction acts as about 60-80 extra AR.

I guess your WH is OK...but I think you could do better with a 150 INT one....with VIT.
You have no AR on either ring or your bracers...and that's a problem. I know you like the 300 INT and 150 VIT on your bracers....but the low CC and lack of AR/armor is killing them. I wouldn't put anything on unless it had 50AR and 5CC....or armor...or something.

Your gloves are kinda solid...in a way. You'll have to beat 8/9.5/30 with 140INT/50 VIT/65AR to beat them. I'd be looking.

Your chest is really weak...fire resistance is a wasted roll. You ought to be able to get 170INT/170VIT/70AR pretty cheaply....or, since you need mit, something like 170INT/65AR/700armor. That'd be nice.

tl;dr....more armor on your chest and AR on your bracers would go a long way toward helping your mit problem.
Ok im going for a chest with 170/170/70 Im thinkin gof going after a ring with 50 AR but it is quite expensive i lose about 4k dps from my rare ring but i only gain 0.2 prot for that 50 AR
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
11/05/2013 07:12 PMPosted by Jt3z
Ok im going for a chest with 170/170/70 Im thinkin gof going after a ring with 50 AR but it is quite expensive i lose about 4k dps from my rare ring but i only gain 0.2 prot for that 50 AR

That'd be a good chest...and the alternative to my AR/armor one I have now.

I'd really focus on your bracers though...some with AR or at least armor.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the in-depth guide. I find the portion where different gear options and breakpoints were explained very helpful.

In the specific item slot - ring section, neither the Wailing Host or Unity were mentioned; is it because they are rather overrated, very expensive to trade and only suitable for starting out? Thanks.
Reply Quote
11/06/2013 06:07 AMPosted by PieHole

That'd be a good chest...and the alternative to my AR/armor one I have now.

I'd really focus on your bracers though...some with AR or at least armor.
gOT A 750 ARMOR 65 AR 160 int 60 vit got it for cheap think thats good enough?
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
11/06/2013 05:29 PMPosted by Gabriyel
In the specific item slot - ring section, neither the Wailing Host or Unity were mentioned; is it because they are rather overrated, very expensive to trade and only suitable for starting out? Thanks.

Alot of is has to do with the availability of rare rings today....its possible (easy?) to get rare rings with trifecta stats and INT and LoH or AR or min-max or VIT....so, five major stats is pretty commone if not six. The two rings you mentioned are also capped at 4.5CC...which is an issue for some (who want 5 or 6 CC).

Wailing host is one major stat short. With Litany, you can get CC/IAS/INT/AR/elite-red....so, 5 big stats (i'm including elite red here, since its like another 60-80AR). With Wailing Host, you can get CC/IAS/CD/INT...so, only 4 major stats. Now, I didn't include the +elite damage. Why? Dunno. Nobody seems to do it. It certainly will impact your eDPS (i.e. by ~12k DPS with a 300k SNS wiz). But, historically, CM/SNS wizards have always put more stock in mitigation...so Litany was always a favorite. The +elite damage also doesnt sheet epeen.....of course,...neither does the -elite reduction from Litany. Also, most SNS users today wear mempo...which means you likely need LoH on a ring. High end users can get trifecta+LoH+INT (or AR, etc) with a rare ring...but not on Wailing Host (or Litany for that matter). I don't know...its just kind of an odd stepchild. Even Litany is falling out of favor because its a drag on DPS...and since monster damage has been nerfed seemingly with each patch, mitigation is falling out of favor somewhat. So, that's the long answer....if an answer at all, lol.

Unity suffers from the same stat problem.....you can get CC/IAS/INT/min-max...so, only 4 stats (assuming that the min-max has similar damage as CD would). The LoH is just a little too low to be useful for an SNS wizard...even with a max roll of 328. I bet this ring though could be huge when loot 2.0 hits. If the LoH value is roll is higher, then it could be a decent alternative to a rare ring...

Thanks for the questions! And thanks for the compliments!
Edited by PieHole#1628 on 11/7/2013 7:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
11/06/2013 08:11 PMPosted by Jt3z
gOT A 750 ARMOR 65 AR 160 int 60 vit got it for cheap think thats good enough?

Could be! As always, there's room for improvement, but that's much more solid than your last chest....and even has decent INT and VIT rolls. Your %mit is up to 87.5% now....up from 87%, so that's a good boost!
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
^
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
bump for weekend visibility
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]