Diablo® III

crit damage vs. attack speed

Hey, recently upgraded from a skorn with 1280dps, 4.80 ls, 188chd, 312 int to what im currently using. My dps increased by 6k when i swapped out the skorn with my 1h and mojo, however my crits went from 1.5mil when fully buffed to maybe 800-900k when fully buffed.
So question would be: are few huge crits better then many small crits.
Also, are 2.50% ls good enough for mp 8-9?
Reply Quote
Attack speed primarily hurts your mana usage. If you can balance it out then it will come down to what build you are running. High attack speed makes DoT skills less affective.

Looking at your build you are using now I would say you are relatively the same for damage (well 6K higher) since the skills do damage ticks. If you were using skill like haunt, acid cloud, locusts etc. then your per hit damage is lower than with a Skorn and would be worse, especially when casting on a crit.

2.5 LS by itself might be a little low for RD packs. Ultimately your life in general needs to come up a little. I would say to aim for minimum 60k life for MP8-10.

Rain of Toads actually procs life on hit better than life steal but I'm not sure exactly how it differs for bats. I never tested it. You might want to add in 300-700 LoH for RoT somewhere if you can. If you get wall pinned and on a desecrater you can nail an elite monster on the other side of the wall you have a better result to pull through the duration of that.
Reply Quote
CHC is paired with CHD. One is useless without the other.

Attack speed is stand alone, you just need mana to support it.

So question would be: are few huge crits better then many small crits. Also, are 2.50% ls good enough for mp 8-9?

To balance out, 2H needs to get more frequent crits (CHC), and 1H needs to get bigger crits (CHD). I'm a Skorn user with LS > 4.4 always. I don't see much of a difference between 4.5 to 5.5, and I don't see much difference between 2.5 and 3.0. 1Handers main problem is reflect damage, for other situations, you can push up DPS and steal more life.

Why don't you upgrade your Skorn instead? As you progress to MP10, you will realise that Skorn is still the cheapest way to clear all MP10 content.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the advice. I suppose for the moment i keep using my skorn and maybe sell my weapon and get one with LoH instead of LS.

10/05/2013 08:08 PMPosted by Shockwave
Attack speed primarily hurts your mana usage. If you can balance it out then it will come down to what build you are running. High attack speed makes DoT skills less affective.

I was using a bear build before, hence why i used skorn and tried to keep IAS at a minimum. Later on when i switched to CoB i made the assumption that a) 66 mana/sec is a fixed amount and b) attack speed would affect the amount of damage procs (slow weapon= fewer procs per sec. and vice versa)
guess i was wrong about the mana drain being a fixed amount per sec. Although i didnt really notice the difference in mana drain, considering stuff constantly dies around me.

10/05/2013 08:08 PMPosted by Shockwave
2.5 LS by itself might be a little low for RD packs. Ultimately your life in general needs to come up a little. I would say to aim for minimum 60k life for MP8-10

I swapped out the vit gems for int gems, thought the increased damage would help keeping me alive through ls, but i suppose most of the stuff that kills you in mp10 are things that one shot you.
Anyway, ill probably keep farming mp7 for now and once i get a LoH item ill swap to one hand and try mp9 and see how fast that goes.
Once again, thanks for the advice.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]