Diablo® III

RoS build without LS or LoH

With LS no longer functioning at lvl70 and LoH maybe not being sufficient for 2H, I was thinking about the datamined Transcendence. Mob dps will probably also be scaled to reflect the new LoH, and other LPS affixes. RD has also been changed to a flat amount in internal testing.

Transcendence: Every point of Spirit spent heals you for 165.1 Life. / Heal amount is increased by 1% of your Health Globe Healing

Removes the resource cost of Tempest Rush. http://media-titanium.cursecdn.com/attachments/54/953/warstaff-of-general-quang.jpg

With that passive item bonus there would be lots of spirit available for healing and IAS would no longer be an issue with TR.

Using WoL:WoL or WoL:PotA for healing (additionally MoC or SW while moving) with maybe 45k-90k bonus health globes healing gear, the new Transcendence passive together with health globes and potions may be all the healing required. Maybe add some pickup radius with paragon points. And with some freezes with the Frostburn Gauntlets 2.0, that should be enough.

+Health globe healing affix confirmed to roll up to 23346 on lvl70 legendary gear.

Also elemental effects have been said to be coming back to the game. With Holy element potentially receiving a healing effect.

New Frostburn Gauntlets with a 50% chance to freeze on chill effects.
http://media-titanium.cursecdn.com/attachments/54/361/69.jpg

More on Frosties: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10587458759

Build without Frostburn Gauntlets 2.0:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aceVkS!Ybd!YZaZaY WoL:WoL version

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aceVkS!Ybd!YZcZaY WoL:PotA version

Build with Frostburn Gauntlets 2.0 and 1.08 Cold SoJ or Loot 2.0 Cold weapon.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aceVkS!Ybd!YZcZaY WoL:PotA

Build with Frostburn Gauntlets 2.0 and Mystic Ally: Water Ally (adds a chill to all attacks)

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aceVjS!Ybd!YZcZaY Quickening

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WceVjS!Ybd!bZcZaY Rising Tide

This build is mainly for 2H setup, but DW can change 'The Guardian's Path' to something else.

It's also possible to use this passive item bonus with the Mystic Ally.

ItemPassive_Unique_Ring_543_x1 - Mystic Ally mirrors your attacks.

There will also be a 4th passive slot. One of these could be used as the 4th passive:

Mythic Rhythm Every third hit from a Spirit Generator increases the damage of your next damaging Spirit Spender by 40%.

Nirvana Every 0.25 seconds you increase your damage by 5%, stacking up to 15 times. / Nirvana stacks reset when you hit an enemy.

There's a new rune for MoC as well.

Annihilation: Enemies affected by Mantra of Conviction have a 15% increased chance to receive a Crushing Blow.

This could compete with Overawe on higher difficulties. And especially against elites. It may be needed for any build.

Here is the list of the so far known updated skills and passives from latest datamine for the build:

Mystic Ally Cooldown: 30 seconds / Active: Your mystic ally has its damage increased by 50% for 10 seconds. / Passive: A mystic ally fights by your side. The ally deals 40% of your weapon damage as Physical per swing. When the ally dies, it is reborn after 5 seconds.

Water Ally: Active: Your mystic ally perform a performs 7 wave attacks in quick succession, each dealing 245% weapon damage as Cold. / Passive: A mystic ally fights by your side that infuses your attacks to Chill enemies by 60% for 3 seconds.

Exalted Soul Increase maximum Spirit by 100 and increase Spirit Regeneration by 2 per second. / Spirit fuels your defensive and offensive abilities.

Mythic Rhythm Every third hit from a Spirit Generator increases the damage of your next damaging Spirit Spender by 40%.

Nirvana Every 0.25 seconds you increase your damage by 5%, stacking up to 15 times. / Nirvana stacks reset when you hit an enemy.

Transcendence: Every point of Spirit spent heals you for 165.1 Life. / Heal amount is increased by 1% of your Health Globe Healing.

Fists of Thunder Generate: 14 Spirit per attack / Teleport to your target and unleash a series of extremely fast punches that deal 122% weapon damage as Lightning. / Every third hit deals 183% weapon damage as Lightning split between all enemies in front of you.

Quickening: Critical Hits generate an additional 4 Spirit for each enemy hit.

Wave of Light Cost: 75 Spirit / Focus a wave of light that crushes enemies for 604% weapon damage as Holy, followed by an additional 101% weapon damage as Holy to all enemies in a line.

Wall of Light: Increase damage of the initial strike to 928% weapon damage as Holy and adds a knockback.

Pillar of the Ancients: Summon an ancient pillar that deals 636% weapon damage followed by an additional 636% weapon damage after 2 seconds.

Tempest Rush Cost: 15 Spirit plus an additional 10 Spirit while channeling / Charge directly through your enemies, dealing 289% weapon damage while running.

Tailwind: Increases your movement speed while using Tempest Rush by 25%.

Sweeping Wind Cost: 75 Spirit / Surround yourself in a vortex that continuously deals 28% weapon damage to all enemies within 10 yards. The vortex lasts 6 seconds and is refreshed each time you strike an enemy with a melee attack. Landing a Critical Hit has a chance to increase the vortex effect up to 3 stacks for a total of 84% weapon damage.

Inner Storm: As long as your vortex is at the maximum stack count, you gain 4 Spirit per second.

Exploding Palm Cost: 40 Spirit / Cause a enemy to Bleed for 1331% weapon damage as Physical over 9 seconds. If the enemy dies while bleeding, it explodes and deals 50% of its maximum Life as Physical damage to all nearby enemies.

Strong Spirit: If the enemy explodes after bleeding, gain 10 Spirit for each enemy caught in the blast.

Mantra of Conviction Cost: 50 Spirit / Recite a Mantra that causes all enemies within 30 yards of you to take 10% additional damage. The Mantra lasts 3 minutes. / For 3 seconds after activation, the effect is increased to 20% additional damage. / Only one Mantra may be active at a time.

Overawe: Increase the strength of Mantra of Conviction so that enemies take 20% additional damage and 30% for the first 3 seconds.

Annihilation: Enemies affected by Mantra of Conviction have a 15% increased chance to receive a Crushing Blow.
Edited by dominatus#2534 on 11/23/2013 5:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
With elemental damage types making a come back, how they implement holy damage may be interesting for sustain. Apparently back in beta: "Critical hits were set to provide an AoE heal to friendly nearby targets"

But a high spirit regen + lpss would work too as well since they plan on reducing damage at the same time as sustain. I'll even guess they will merge the difficulty levels between console and pc to make stuff even easier!
Reply Quote
Oh yes I totally forgot about the healing of Holy element. Added that also, so it looks even better now without LS or LoH.

There was some unique item bonus datamined that boosted the holy element healing effects, so it's certainly a heal of some sort.
Reply Quote
10/08/2013 02:09 AMPosted by dominatus
With LS being nerfed

I keep seeing this all over the place. Would someone kindly explain where did you glean this info from?

We've been told that LoH and the other sustain abilities are going to get huge boosts, to make them more competitive and viable in end-game, but so far I have yet to see a Blizz representative addressing the future of LS directly. Granted, it's going to be impacted by the loss of stats we'll experience under the new Paragon 2.0 system, not to mention the offensive stat caps that seem to be forthcoming as well, but where does it say in blue on black that LS is going to get a direct nerf?
Reply Quote
There isn't a direct "we're going to remove LS from the game" confirmation, but many things that suggests to at least a big move away from LS as a source of the main health regeneration.

1. Datamined info has shown the removal of LS from skills. Replaced by such as a small shield.
2. Transcendence buff and health globe healing bonus for Monks, more alternatives to LS.
3. Screenshots of Loot 2.0 items, only a few items so far so not much to go on, but none had LS roll
4. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10039514450#5 and the replies reinforces what's been seen on datamined info
5. RD change to flat amount in internal testing is the only way to handle RD without LS or with nerfed LS.
6. LS is problematic from a dev standpoint because it scales with dps, people just stack dps because dps is their defense as long as LS exists, so it makes sense to remove it and replace it with LoH scaled for new level of mob dps and rebalanced with proc coefficients for all skills.

Some points from the dev post.

The devs don't think it's good for the game if your health pool goes from full to nearly empty and back to full on a regular basis very quickly, over and over, during regular play.

This means they want the healing to go down, probably meaning LS, though not even mentioned at all as the whole balancing is still far from completed.
They also want mob dps output to go down with it.

Later on there is more talk about LoH and the re-balancing of proc coefficients to make sure it will be good enough for most builds.

Even if there would be no change to weapons LS, the removal of LS from skills is already a nerf to LS, even if that alone is not directly related to Monks.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
I 100% agree that it appears LS is on the chopping block, but I have seen no definitive proof yet ... so I am holding my breath! :D
Not sure why everyone keeps trying to analyse RoS....

IMO, enjoy D3 as it is with what works now... then when expansion comes out, you'll have to re-evaluate your char(s) with what is available then to be able to conquer the game. I would imagine there will also be further patches to nerf/buff attributes in expansion.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can't plan for what will happen. There could be a new set item where there is more "melee reduce" or maybe HP regen is the thing to go for....
Reply Quote
10/08/2013 07:22 PMPosted by DVTN
IMO, enjoy D3 as it is with what works now... then when expansion comes out, you'll have to re-evaluate your char(s) with what is available then to be able to conquer the game. I would imagine there will also be further patches to nerf/buff attributes in expansion.
I find my joy in doing this. Speculating about the potentials of the next game and what not is very exciting to me. It's not like people most people reading the datamined info are trying to find things wrong. I understand your comment for the general discussion full of threads begging for attention, but this is mostly a productive thread which we like because it engages our minds.

You might not like it, but that doesn't make it something we don't find fun. This datamined info has lowered a lot of the trolling. I think it finally gives us something to talk about and theorize about in this game again.

Anyway monk forums were made for theory-crafting/speculating about potential game changers, this is what most of us come for.
Reply Quote
The datamined changes to Cyclone Strike look more appealing from an efficiency standpoint if you go no lifesteal/loh.

But for the record, MP10 is doable without lifesteal, loh, or transcendence right now. I'm doing more than fine with a finely tuned setup and smart play. Spreadout 60lpss helm, 1500 lpk ring, 20k extra globes and Serenity. Tis fun burning down elites with 600k dps from a Flying Dragon proc. And no my gear didn't cost 1billion+... the Flying Dragon was the only thing more than 100million.
Edited by blhotz#1823 on 10/8/2013 9:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The Cyclone Strike rune you're talking about will probably gain much more popularity for groups.
Bells could also be useful for groups with knockback being removed from most runes.

Anyway updated a confirmation to the post that LS was not only nerfed but removed.

*At level 70, Life Steal no longer functions.

Also I found this from the new datamine.

http://www.diablofans.com/uploads/gallery/album_1609/gallery_47244_1609_1948.png

I think that means the theorized 4th passive slot may be coming to the game also making something like Nirvana passive a very nice addition to the build.
Reply Quote
This is music to my ears. I've been running a LPSS build since launch since I find the stat so much more interesting than boring old LS.
Very happy to see they're noticing LPSS needed a bump, and I'm especially interested in that health globe addition.
Reply Quote
I'm still guessing Blizzard will eventually cave and convert to a combat ratings system. They are clearly moving away from %-age based itemization like Life steal - so those 9% 10% 100% 12% life 45% MF socket amulets will still be 100% awesome at 70.
Reply Quote
Maybe or maybe not.
Reply Quote
We will know it next year.
Reply Quote
well, I was bored today so i decided to put on some LPSS gear. I have on around 170.3 LPSS no LS or LOH. This is only slightly above what Transcendence is data mined as for patch. All i did was switch out my TR for dashing strike and kept my normal Skorn build (EP/bells with quicken). I had around 212K dps. It had little or no difference in my play style at MP9. I was consistently seeing heal ticks of 7-12K. No deaths on run of festering and fields I had to kite a little bit on reflect mob due to poor spirit management. Assuming our monk weapons/gear with LPSS doesn't suck I am ok with loss of life steal by lvl70. Thankfully we aren't as dependent on LOH as other classes. I'd be interested to see how nirvana would work, I'm betting it would be crazy awesome.

EDIT: LOL, I must have gotten lucky on the 2-3 mobs of reflect I did... soon as I typed this I one shotted myself 2x... so not perfect but mostly manageable I suppose.
Edited by vexelite#1417 on 10/11/2013 6:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/11/2013 06:43 PMPosted by vexelite
well, I was bored today so i decided to put on some LPSS gear.

I tried something similar. I replaced my LS Skorn with a pair of LPSS 1handers (100.6 LPSS total) for like 20million gold and really have no issues doing my normal FW -> FoM runs on MP10. Didn't even need to change the spec, i'm just playing EP/TR/Bells with 1handers, lol.
Reply Quote
I have been using LpSS for some time now. It works for TR builds (up to mp 3-4) with no other type of heal and I use it in a nirvana style build.( I don't think I have ever died in the nirvana window)The only key to this style of play is the spirit regen needs to be balanced with the amount of spirit spent so gear like that ring I saw in the OP would actually be a detriment to a LpSS build as the cost is the heal. The same goes for LTK builds full -19 builds aren't necessarily the best option. I am kind of excited for this news as it will make the Monk even more of an original build and steer clear of the "face tank" style of play.
Reply Quote
@Davlok: You may be on to something with the conversion to a ratings system. New datamining shows removal of the mention of trifecta stat caps. It could mean that they're going to switch to a ratings system, or they're going to nerf the trifecta rolls on lvl70 gear even further.

In other news they may be changing the 4 difficulty modes based on feedback to 3, Normal, Torment, Inferno.
Reply Quote
@WhiteWizzard: When I TR I knockback most mobs without actually taking much damage, I can spend a lot of time TRing, and I want to have as much spirit as possible when I stop TRing. You can just cast Overawe on the fly after several seconds from the massive additional spirit you've just gained to overcome any lost and mostly unnecessary healing during TR. I was referring to the ring.

It's what happens after I stop with TRing that I'm concerned about.

But I guess we have different viewpoints, you're talking about low mp3-4, I'm talking about making this setup viable for as high as mp10.

I haven't personally tried LPSS but I guess I will do just that. Ironically I think it can end up becoming just like another LS with enough globes and LPSS gear with this build. On top the actual globes, it sounds pretty good.
Edited by dominatus#2534 on 10/12/2013 3:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@TianZi: I just tried something similar. Bought 2 1handers with LPSS for 1mil. Total 180 LPSS with Transcendence+4Inna's with TR/EP/Bell. Some LoH and health regen. MP10 FoM trash somewhat doable, but all the time I thought I really needed that TR ring. And the additional health globe bonuses+globes would have made all the difference.

I think it should work fine after all the changes to the game are in place.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]