Diablo® III

Please explain me...

I read a lot of topics on the subject.

I KNOW that the debate is constant.

I KINDA know that it's supposed to be a preference.

But really? Besides budget, I really don't see the point of a Skorn...

I bought one and swapped it with my current axe+mojo set and I could spam bears for close to the exact same time with both weapon set (not more than 1s difference).

It gives me arguably less DPS (yeah, I know, the crits are harder and all, but I do fewer of them too, right?)

Life steal is higher, but a lot less constant.

And yeah, I know I have barely played the class (only one paragon 9 and a paragon 3 lol), so maybe there is some hidden knowledge I havent stumbled upon?
Reply Quote
Ya, I'm with you. I can damn near channel COB indefinitely right now. The constant hits keep the life rolling in. DMG might equal out but if you get LS LS hit LS hit LS hit with a 1h and Big LS hit hit hit Big LS hit hit hit hit I could still easily die. I prefer the attacks per second with the 1h.
Reply Quote
This is basically what to expect between a 2H slower weapon and 1H faster weapon unless you shoot for a 1.2 IAS mace or spear. A lot of the WD skill are DoT (damange over time) and when you cast a skill it is basically based on the per hit, not your sheet DPS. If you go higher attack speed over 2.0 then your DoT skills basically suffer but they hit harder at slower speed. If you are based on crit and have a high crit damage Skorn and you cast on a crit it can do a lot of damage over the duration of your DoT skills. A Skorn is not great for high attack speed build like if you were using spiders, darts or fire bomb builds. Slower attack speed can be good for CoB builds or -mana cost on bears using SoJ and attack speed gear to increase your attack speed with a Skorn, faster 1H and attack speed gear for 0 dog, etc. The WD has a lot of builds. :)

It really depends on what your build is. I use a Skorn for my CoB WD except a friend is borrowing it at the moment. I found it helped a lot for life gain.
Reply Quote
This is basically what to expect between a 2H slower weapon and 1H faster weapon unless you shoot for a 1.2 IAS mace or spear. A lot of the WD skill are DoT (damange over time) and when you cast a skill it is basically based on the per hit, not your sheet DPS. If you go higher attack speed over 2.0 then your DoT skills basically suffer but they hit harder at slower speed. If you are based on crit and have a high crit damage Skorn and you cast on a crit it can do a lot of damage over the duration of your DoT skills. A Skorn is not great for high attack speed build like if you were using spiders, darts or fire bomb builds. Slower attack speed can be good for CoB builds or -mana cost on bears using SoJ and attack speed gear to increase your attack speed with a Skorn, faster 1H and attack speed gear for 0 dog, etc. The WD has a lot of builds. :)

It really depends on what your build is. I use a Skorn for my CoB WD except a friend is borrowing it at the moment. I found it helped a lot for life gain.

Okay, so if I play ZB, there are no DOTs right? So it won't matter much? I love the +20PUR, cause it helps a lot on getting DPS stats elsewhere and of course activating GF/GI.

I use the sacrifice/ZB, I love it for now. Tried CoB and could not stand it. The better I could do, was to mix CoB with ZB (on my noob EU WD) with a Skorn and it was bearable, but still not efficient.
Reply Quote
as you increase DPS especially if it is with PtV or ASPD a skorn can make it easier to maintain. Also against SB in ubers a skorn is almost mandatory due to his huge reflect. For a long time I only kept skorn with me for the nastier reflect packs. Now I only use it for ubers. Also running bears isn't as mana intensive as bats. The initial bat cost is so high, that if you go against a mob with any hard CC then it will make you reset a lot and drain your mana fast. A skorn or a 2-hander can lessen the impact.

I use one hand partially for the style points, but largely because it does do more dps in the long run.

CoB dps blows bears out of the water. PB with bears can outdo CoB in certain situations.

I went bears since release almost, but now I have dropped it completely. CoB or PB just outperform in so many ways.
Reply Quote
ZB is a per hit damage. I found ZB was better for me with 1H vs. 2H since my life was lower and was faster to proc the smaller amounts of life steal with bears. Plus I had so much mana regen that I could spam bears for as long as the battles lasted.

I played a bit with CoB and can't get into it. Been used to playing 0 dog for so long that I prefer it over bats.

BTW, nice craft on your axe! :)
Reply Quote
At first I was wondering what the topic was about.... hey, it's about SkorrrRRRNNNNN !!!

I've a whole topic dedicated to 1H vs 2H in my guide, but that's mainly for CoB. So kinda off-topic in here.

In summary,
- CHC is paired with CHD. One is useless without the other.
- Attack speed is stand alone, you just need mana to support it.

To balance out, 2H needs to get more frequent crits (CHC), and 1H needs to get bigger crits (CHD).

If you are dying when using 2H and surviving when having frequent critical hits using 1H, it means that your CHC is too low, your mojo is providing most of the missing CHC.

10/05/2013 05:01 PMPosted by TheRedeemer
so maybe there is some hidden knowledge I havent stumbled upon?

All the info is out in the open, nothing is kept secret :)

10/05/2013 05:01 PMPosted by TheRedeemer

DMG might equal out but if you get LS LS hit LS hit LS hit with a 1h and Big LS hit hit hit Big LS hit hit hit hit I could still easily die. I prefer the attacks per second with the 1h.

What if, there is a way to get higher lifesteal, very consistent in-coming life by ignoring all the non-critical ticks, Big critical hits, and high attacks per second due to the division of hits into ticks?

Welcome to my world of CoB Skorn.
SkorrrrnnNNNNN !!!! Don't leave town without it ;)

ps: 2Handers do run bear builds too. Just ask them how they balance their mana.
Reply Quote
What if, there is a way to get higher lifesteal, very consistent in-coming life by ignoring all the non-critical ticks, Big critical hits, and high attacks per second due to the division of hits into ticks?

Yeah, did not think of that. But if it is like, for example, Rend, you would need to make sure that every time you start CoB, you crit so all ticks also crit. If it "tries" to crit every tick, then yeah, it won't make a huge difference since it ticks faster than your APS right?
Reply Quote
10/06/2013 06:49 AMPosted by TheRedeemer
If it "tries" to crit every tick, then yeah, it won't make a huge difference since it ticks faster than your APS right?

Indeed, The ticks are approximately double the APS, so having high CHC helps a lot when you use a Skorn. You'll be frequently multiplying by >500% CHD. No harm pushing some IAS also since there's room to speed things up a bit.

Edit: CoB It is not a damage over time skill, the first tick does not determine if the rest are crit or non-crit. Each tick can crit depending on your CHC. In realistic game play, you will often get a few mobs around you, That's how Skorn becomes "easy mode" with the high damage crits and life sustain.
Edited by PaulNg#6869 on 10/6/2013 10:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I read a lot of topics on the subject.

But really? Besides budget, I really don't see the point of a Skorn...

I bring one in my stash because:

i need to NOT die to Reflect Dmg

Ubers - Siegebreaker

and Mana issues/sustainability, as with the right gear combi, you shouldn't run out of mana using that over sized lollipop (though I never really experience this considering i only have 1.52 APS, slightly lower than most 1H users out there)

Life steal is higher yes, but not a lot less constant. it's really up to you to decide how to make it constant by upping your crit chance.

That's the simplest I can give you sans PaulNg's number crunching :P
Edited by Ozquickee#6169 on 10/6/2013 10:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Okay, Ill keep mine for now and will try if it helps with the difficult packs.

I play only MP8 for now, don't think I'm geared for MP10 yet. But in MP8, with ZBs, I only died versus a shielding/RD savage beast elite pack. It was a pain. But I faced a few RD champions and they are no issues since my bears just ROFLSTOMP them to death. I will also try improving my crit chance, because when they crit, GAWWWD it hurts!

But I'm pretty out of money for now, so I'll continue on MP8 for a while! :)
Reply Quote
If you want to go Skorn route, gear for higher EHP/MIT, almost full CC each slot, pair with 3 or 4 IAS gears and SoJ, you will be melting everything in mp10 within few sec.

For 1H/mojo, just need to time the use of skill to avoid OOM. I would suggest to have 200k DPS with SoJ, you will feel a lot different. A normal DPS ring is better for u now.
Reply Quote
10/06/2013 07:01 PMPosted by KentLau
For 1H/mojo, just need to time the use of skill to avoid OOM. I would suggest to have 200k DPS with SoJ, you will feel a lot different. A normal DPS ring is better for u now.

Really? You mean to farm MP10? Because, for MP8, I kill everything fast enough I'm sure, elites go down in 10 seconds or less most of the time.

Edit: And yeah, I don't believe I will go the Skorn route anytime soon. I love the PUR and holding a frog in my hand :P
Edited by TheRedeemer#1573 on 10/7/2013 3:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MP10 elites are stronger and bigger health pool, 200k DPS are almost the minimum DPS to play.
Achieving 200k DPS with SoJ will be a catwalk for you in MP10, provided you meet the other requirements like min 60k+ HP, 800+ AR, 50%+ CC, 3800+ Armor.
Reply Quote
So I'm still a good 40k DPS short of that. I meet the other requirements, but when I add SOJ, I lose some 25k DPS at least. And I'm already 15k or so DPS short.

Lots of work to do I guess! :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]