Diablo® III

Blizzard, please give me a reason to buy your expansion

[TL;DR will be at the bottom.]

I really want to buy your expansion Blizzard, I do, but all the "exciting new details" you've been teasing have done nothing for me. Here's why.

I didn't buy Diablo III when it came out. I played Diablo II for all of ten hours or so with a friend's copy back in the day, and I thought it was fun, I did. But it wasn't so much my style. I get enough of grinding loot to get BiS and beat the same bosses over and over again on harder difficulties when I pay you guys $15 a month for my three annual months of WoW. I don't need to do it on a game that I can play - literally - without ever seeing another person or so much as getting to /wave.

Once the bugs were worked out, however, one of its features did draw me in - the RMAH. Now, I don't care about gearing my character, as I've just said. But if it's fun - and if it means the potential of earning real money while playing a fun game, I can certainly care about gearing other people's characters.

So I bought D3. And I got lucky, in a way - I sold some level 13 rare wand on the RMAH for like $2.36 or something. I never expected it to sell, honestly, I was just throwing anything I had on the RMAH that seemed cool because I loved the concept. But that hooked me. The fact that I had real money sitting in PayPal because of a virtual item was a great feeling. I kept playing, until I was crashing through Inferno with the new Monster Power levels and waiting for the epic legendary that would basically pay for my entire investment into D3.

I never found it, and I'd burned myself up getting the levels and gear to grind, so I took a break. A few weeks that turned into a few months to recharge my batteries. The hell, I figured, the game isn't going anywhere. But I come back and install the game, excited about the new expansion coming and so hopefully the promise of selling brand new drops, just in time to see the announcement that the Auction Houses are going to be shut down in early 2014. Basically FOR the expansion.

I'll be honest, I haven't even killed an enemy since re-installing, and I'm already ready to uninstall the game and forget it ever existed. If it wasn't for the RMAH and the idea of making money selling Legendaries, I honestly don't think I would have started playing Hell mode. I might not have made it through Nightmare, and I DEFINITELY wouldn't have played through Inferno. It was the only reason I was excited about drops. Where, exactly, am I supposed to be excited about killing Diablo? No offense, but I killed him at levels 15, 30, and 40, Blizzard, I don't care about killing him at Paragon 100 on MP10.

If the RMAH was shut down alone, I guess I could live with that. Worst case scenario I could always just mass gold and sell it off to a gold-selling site, or something. Which, honestly, is about the only reason I would buy the expansion at this point.

I'm really wanting to play the new expo, Blizzard, I am. I want to see your new and improved D3. But I'm not going to buy it so I can play it 30 times over, Loot 2.0, Loot Runs, or whatever else you throw at me in a vain attempt to break the left button on my mouse. I want what I had - promise or at least potential of real world gain. This isn't WoW; I don't have to gear up to beat the game, I beat the game so that I can gear up. That's not a good enough motivator any more.

TL;DR - I don't get the satisfaction you want me to from killing Diablo for the 18th time, nor from the "great feeling of getting that perfect drop". I get that great feeling of getting the perfect drop that someone else will shell out $20, $50, hell, $200 for. I'm not going to buy the new expo, and I may even uninstall D3, if a compromise isn't made for D3, whether that is re-instating the gold auction house at least or even separate servers where BOTH AH are still available. No game has ever made me want to become a gold seller or use a 3rd party auction house website before, but Diablo III did it. I hate seeing spam messages and the Starcraft 2 Friend Requests with price lists I'm constantly getting, but your removing the Auction House has legitimately made me want to become one of them. Please come up with at least a compromise.

P.S. Because I'm sure someone's going to bring it up (I've seen it multiple times on these forums and on the Reddit threads), asking for a server for AH isn't the same as asking for self-found servers. You guys can play self-found, on your own, while the AH still exists, by just pretending it doesn't. We can't play "Auction Mode" by pretending the Auction House DOES exist, unless we resort to third-party websites. Which, newsflash, is exactly what people like me are going to do, if we buy the expansion at all.
Reply Quote
Diablo doesn't sound like a game for you.
Reply Quote
give you a reason? They have.. They are changing soooo many aspects of the game. No AH, loot 2.0, working on fixing life steal and the game mechanic.. It's not like they are just sitting their asses and adding only adding a new act and slapping a an expansion tag on the the game. They are trying to fix the mistakes they made.

Diablo 2 was not that great of a game and have a lot of complaints about it. It was wasn't until LoD came out and made D2 the legend that it is.

So lets go back to your initial statement "Give me a reason to buy the expansion." I will give a very HIGH level way of looking at it instead of going into detail:

- loot 2.0
- changing game mechanics
- new character
- new act
- Cya auction house (yes, there will be 3rd party, but not everybody will use 3rd party like they did for the AH)
- Mystic
- Changing CC and CD so they aren't overpowered and the most important part of an item.

iI you dont think those are reasons then get over yourself. You're just one consumer.
Edited by Lolly#1416 on 10/12/2013 12:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So in other words you only bought this game with the hopes of making a living off it? Not a smart move on your part. You should have seen this coming a long time ago. I certainly did. With the Bitcoin fiasco and the total dis like of the auction House in this game, I would have dumped my stock long ago.
Reply Quote
10/12/2013 12:48 PMPosted by Kookymunster
So in other words you only bought this game with the hopes of making a living off it? Not a smart move on your part. You should have seen this coming a long time ago. I certainly did. With the Bitcoin fiasco and the total dis like of the auction House in this game, I would have dumped my stock long ago.

Why would I? There were dozens - maybe hundreds - of other ideas that would have vastly improved this game far more than simply removing the AH. Better loot rolls, which they're doing, making BiS gear only drop rarely (but more common than Legendaries, perhaps) and be account-bound, limiting the number of purchases that could be made, making Legendaries have better drops automatically, increasing the odds of loot dropped being for your class, at the very least, hell - maybe even make Self-Found a tick box in the options.

Removal of the AH is a heavy handed technique designed to force all players - some of whom have absolutely no problem with the way the system is now, I might add, but who don't complain as much on the forums (because, gee, they're happy with the game?) - to follow the way Blizzard thinks they should play.

They may as well shut down the WoW Auction House, because you should farm all your own materials and earn your own pointless pets by farming for that 0.0000001% global drop rate.
Reply Quote
10/12/2013 12:54 PMPosted by TheWolfSage
Removal of the AH is a heavy handed technique designed to force all players - some of whom have absolutely no problem with the way the system is now
They may have other reasons for doing this. Since Blizzard has not revealed that reason yet or they may never reveal that reason, I will not speculate.

They may as well shut down the WoW Auction House
The Wow Auction House is a in game gold only Auction House. It never had a RMAH. But yes people sold and still sell gold. The loot system in wow is not that bad. It is very possible to play 100% self found in that game, Or just craft your own gear. Blizzard took steps to decrease gold buying in that game with Heirloom gear so that once a player leveled up did dungeons or pvp or both in my case, They could buy this gear and never buy anything form the Auction House.
Reply Quote
It's just as possible to play self-found in this game. The only difference is that the Diablo franchise didn't ship with an AH, nor for its expansions, nor for its sequel, and people hate anything that feels new. The change in the loot system didn't help matters, but nor did it hurt it; I've never spent a cent on this game and I've still gotten to MP2 in Inferno without playing for days, weeks, and months at a time; there's no NEED for the AH to win, but there is a NEED for it to make playing the game feel worthwhile for many people.
Reply Quote
They may as well shut down the WoW Auction House, because you should farm all your own materials and earn your own pointless pets by farming for that 0.0000001% global drop rate.

You pointed out the difference yourself.
Most of what you can buy on WoWs AH is either "pointless" stuff like pets, or much worse than what you can only get in raids etc.

In D3 you could get the best things from AH. Which in turn harmed the game experience for the players.

10/12/2013 01:01 PMPosted by Kookymunster
The Wow Auction House is a in game gold only Auction House. It never had a RMAH. But yes people sold and still sell gold. The loot system in wow is not that bad. It is very possible to play 100% self found in that game,

You can take that a step further. It is ONLY possible to play self-found in WoW.
Edited by Shadout#2849 on 10/12/2013 1:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Not true on both accounts; there are plenty of Bind on Equip Epic items that drop from Raids and are equal to or only VERY slightly below that which you get from the Raids themselves.
Reply Quote
Unless things have changed drastically, there aren't enough BoE drops to fully gear a character.
Reply Quote
10/12/2013 01:27 PMPosted by TheWolfSage
Bind on Equip Epic items that drop from Raids
Those can be pretty rare to get. And i never thought they were as good as raid boss gear, More like entry level raid gear.
But it was nice to get a BOE epic if it was a decent one.
Reply Quote
10/12/2013 01:31 PMPosted by Shadout
Unless things have changed drastically, there aren't enough BoE drops to fully gear a character.
If your talking about wow, There are but it is hard to find them. They have very low drop rates. Mainly because Blizzard wants people to how shall i say have that ole team spirit and raid together not just buy entry level raid gear. But we know how that ole team spirit works out on wow.
Reply Quote
The point remains, they did exist. There are also lots of crafted items which aren't Bind on Pickup/Creation/however you want to phrase it.

I'm not saying the AH should have necessarily gone on the way it was; one of my suggestions was to make BiS items be BoP, which would essentially make it the same as WoW in that regard where only very rare BoE items are on the same tier, creating high demand, high prices, and rare availability even on a server level.

I'm just saying that, much as everyone acknowledges "self-found" is a unique, interesting, and legitimate way to play, that there are those who think the game is better with an AH, especially the way the game is now.

In my opinion Blizzard needs to make the AH OPTIONAL to get the best gear, but not make it irrelevant or non-existent. Many players like myself enjoy the trading aspects other than posting the same message 800 times in the hopes that the ONE player who has that ONE item you want and needs the ONE thing you have to trade will come online. Even if you have a whole inventory full of good items and have a whole list of things you want in exchange, it could still take forever to find someone willing to actually trade. There's a reason ancient societies moved from the barter system to currency; and while they couldn't go slay a demon in the hopes it would drop five cows for their family, the fact that the barter system was a hassle and outdated shouldn't be overlooked.
Reply Quote
10/12/2013 01:38 PMPosted by TheWolfSage
Many players like myself enjoy the trading aspects other than posting the same message 800 times in the hopes that the ONE player who has that ONE item you want and needs the ONE thing you have to trade will come online.

Unless you can prove that this is a sizable amount of people, it's not a worthy argument. Blizzard has decided to focus on people who enjoy playing the game more than they do using the AH or trading. A fairly reasonable decision all things considered.

You can argue that there are "many" players who enjoy this as a trading game, but designing a game with the main goal in mind being that it's fun to play is the more logical route to take here.
Edited by Ignatius#1870 on 10/12/2013 2:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Since I was born stubborn:
http://www.wowhead.com/items?filter=qu=4;cr=3;crs=1;crv=0

Seems to me like you can get leggings and waist at the highest lvl, and that is about it. Then head and feet at the next tier. Cant speak to the accuracy of that though.
Anyway, the point is, you can hardly compare WoW AH to Diablos 3s AH.

I get that there are people who think trading makes the game fun. Not trying to invalidate that.
But others do think trading, especially in an environment like AH, can directly make the game less fun.

Could Blizzard have made most good items BoA instead of removing AH? Sure.
But funny enough, there is another fresh thread right now with someone saying he wont buy the game due to BoA.

Blizzard surely cant please everyone. That much is certain.
We obviously will never agree on who they should try to please then.
Reply Quote
OP, you are exactly the kind of player I will not miss seeing in this game.

See ya.
Reply Quote
Can you give a TL;DR for the TL;DR?

Methinks you need to practice your condensing skills...
Reply Quote
Can you give a TL;DR for the TL;DR?

Methinks you need to practice your condensing skills...

I can do that for you.

OP:

TL;DR: I hate the RPG aspect of the game and am not interested in building great characters. I simply want to sell items for real money and aspire to be like the 3rd party gold sellers.
Reply Quote
just like most people, play d3 for AH tycoon and nothing more, i have it on pc and console but i play console way more because there is no ah and i can play single player. i read in another post that people think this is a multiplayer game with single player aspects. this isnt the case its the other way around ah have no right to come into diablo world. and for the people that use rmah im glad its going. terrible feature for arpgers because ther is no incentive to loot, just get gold and buy thier gear.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]