Diablo® III

Crit dmg numbers displayed question

Wanted to double check with forum experts re: why with same dps, build, and gear - I see on screen larger crit dmg numbers with one skill with lower damage multiplier than with skills with higher multiplier.

Specific scenario - been switching between rapid fire fire support and bombardment runes, depending what act/maps plan to do.

Fire support has a higher dmg multiplier than bombard, but when I see the steady stream of crit dmg numbers floating on screen, I see much smaller numbers than when using bombard. For example, with FS I will see mostly 180-250k with occasional 300k+. With bombard I see always 400-500k.

Is this because I am firing more "bullets" with FS vs bombard so while each "bullet" does less crit dmg, overall does more because more hits in same time period? (Assuming single target only, not factoring bombard aoe)
Reply Quote
View profile
Bombardment ticks far less often than the other runes, so it's probably because the damage numbers are more spread out for Bombardment, so they appear larger.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8569329357
Reply Quote
View profile
Rapid fire (non bombardment)

04/13/2013 08:37 AMPosted by Nubtro
Rapid Firedeals 1/6 of tooltip damage per tick (73% in v1.0.8); if the tooltip damage changes, just use 1/6 of that value

2.00001-2.50000 aps - 4 frames - 15.0 ticks per second

Rapid fire (only bombardment)

-> deals 1/3 of tooltip weapon damage per tick (138% in v1.0.8)

2.00001-2.22222 aps - 9 frames - 6.67 ticks per second
2.22223-2.50000 aps - 8 frames - 7.50 ticks per second
Reply Quote
Wow, great resource on that linked post. Thank you all for the replies.

Makes sense now with my crits being about half as large with fire support since I'm also ticking about twice as much.

I'm torn between bombard and fire support. I really like the machine gun feel of fire support, bombard isn't boring per se and I've learned to get pretty good at adjusting the lobbing aim but I sure have more fun with fire support.

But no question the effectiveness of bombard on a dps basis as well as practicality for clearing big packs, especially act2 oasis and act1 fields.

On other hand I find I can keep myself alive much more surely with fire support since I can near instantly apply life steal channeling when switching targets vs bombard delay.
Reply Quote
View profile
Wow, great resource on that linked post. Thank you all for the replies.

Makes sense now with my crits being about half as large with fire support since I'm also ticking about twice as much.

I'm torn between bombard and fire support. I really like the machine gun feel of fire support, bombard isn't boring per se and I've learned to get pretty good at adjusting the lobbing aim but I sure have more fun with fire support.

But no question the effectiveness of bombard on a dps basis as well as practicality for clearing big packs, especially act2 oasis and act1 fields.

On other hand I find I can keep myself alive much more surely with fire support since I can near instantly apply life steal channeling when switching targets vs bombard delay.

Ya, bombardment can stand on its own as both AOE and single target damage dealer, but Fire Support really needs another skill for AOE. I found Bola Volatile Explosives worked pretty well. Spike Trap can too, but you need to juggle which one you are using or you won't have any hatred at all.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]