Diablo® III

I <3 Poe: Flame me if you Dare...

my only problem is their hardcore mode is for babies. doesnt deserve the name. other than that im sure its a fine game, albeit dated.
Reply Quote
poe blows, and i have put at least 100 hours if not more in that game. for me i like to play rpgs solo selfound unless im plaing with friends, but in poe you cant keep running high lvl maps. not enough orbs drop or chisles and when you roll a tough hi lvl map you get nothing from it. So i was around 82 or so i would 1% exp from a lvl 66 map and around 4-5 on a high lvl map. Also the desync was just too much.
Reply Quote
PoE announcement: September 1, 2010
http://www.pathofexile.com/press/release#releasetarget

D3 announcement: June 28, 2008
http://web.archive.org/web/20080822031256/http://www.blizzard.com/us/press/080628.html

Thanks for the correction Ringo... for some reason I had a D3 announcement date of early 2011 in mind (but that must have been for something else). I'm not beyond admitting my errors :)

My original point still stands though... POE's Brutus fight was developed and exposed to the public well before D3's Butcher fight.

POE Witch Trailer (Feb 2011) Brutus at 1.28m mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a01JJZ2s9yM#t=82

D3 Closed Beta testing (started Sept 2011)... and then AFAIK it didn't include the Butcher fight (only up to the Skeleton King). AFAIK the Butcher fight wasn't seen until release in May 2012.

Sure POE has drawn inspiration from many games (electronic, board and card based) in much the same way Blizzard have their entire existence, but the Brutus v Butcher example is plain wrong.

Anyway... happy hunting all in whatever game you enjoy. :)
Edited by joejoejoeydo#1304 on 10/17/2013 3:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/16/2013 09:29 PMPosted by Palathas
I like both D3 and PoE. They are different enough for me that I don't get burnout. I've also just recently start to play Grim Dawn as well.

Ahh, I haven't tried Grim Dawn. I may do that.

I just gotta say... Every game gets boring without new content or changes with a given time. So, we try to find new ones to play.

In the end, nothing beats Diablo 3 when it comes to combat fluidity. Very smooth. 1 Thing that Blizz got sooooo right.

I cannot argue this. However, try a very high attack speed character in PoE (can get 9+ APS) and its pretty ridiculous in its own right. :P

I'm not going to lie, I still have hope for D3. I am not buying the expansion until after I hear some legitimate reviews from many players. I do want it to be good, though... Its just got SUCH a long row to hoe... there are some truely fundamental changes that I feel the game needs to address such as stats on items, limited builds, and legendaries not doing anything but increasing DPS....
Edited by Stella#1923 on 10/17/2013 5:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't like PoE's skill system. At all. I don't like that some stuff can only be used for maces and staves and not axes etc. I also hate that there's a restriction in that you need to first find the skill gem, and then you need to have the right socket.

furthermore, I don't like the idea that you cannot respect when leveling already is taking long enough. Having no respecs or long leveling is fine, but really having both is enough of a reason for me to not keep playing further because I know that I'm already messing up my character beyond repair.

It is fine to have this opinion.

I am of the opinion that the reasons you list are why PoE is hardcore and D3 is casual, though. Sometimes casual is good, but I personally get into a game much more if I have to think about what I am doing and plan ahead. Otherwise I'm just.... clicking a couple of buttons and staring cross-eyed at the screen for hours... I don't generally enjoy that (although sometimes it is acceptable)
Reply Quote
I recently started playing PoE, overall a nice game with tons of flaws though.

I dig the lore, art, graphics, the community, but !@#$%^- how awful is the passive skill tree and the whole gems mechanic.

Nontheless they did what Blizzard failed to do with D3: taking everything that made the online awesome in D2 and improved upon it

Still for their first game and with the little amount of pple working on it I say GG to GGG.

Now, if only Blizzard could get out of his lethargy and do the same thing with D3(not probable) or D4 (maybe).
Edited by Yoomazir#2905 on 10/17/2013 6:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I played POE, after the new game fun wore off, I found a game with some of the same problems as D3. Horrible drop rates. Bad. So bad, there were many, many asking for a self-found league. Just like here on the D3 forums:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/510020

As for build diversity? Sure, you made 1 build first - what was it called, sporker? Basically, the only gear independent build. And a boring build to play. After you leveled your sporker, you could farm for currency/gear/skills gems and THEN you maybe start the class/build you wanted if you got the right gear/skill gems.

I jumped right into a maurader. looked up builds. For all that "diversity", I found most builds took all the same keystone passives, resolute technique, blood magic until you got the right gear to spec out of it, and iron reflexes until they nerfed it.

It's a great niche game for a select audience. And that's fine. But after playing POE, it made me appreciate D3 despite the flaws it had. So if there's one thing I liked about POE, it's that it made me realize I liked D3 better. Thanks POE.

lets see Verifyed builds : Lighting arrow, Rain of arrow, sporker, freezepulse, Trapped, summoner, endurence/power charge wander build, spec throw, muiltistrike, fire caster, ECT.
Reply Quote
Pretty much in full agreement with the OP.

PoE is a great game for the hardcore, veteran ARPG fan.
D3 is an ok game for the gamer who has never played an ARPG before.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]