Diablo® III

How many bots/spammers have been banned?

View profile
Can we get a number? I logged in to find 2 more spam friend requests. This is absolutely unacceptable and I demand at least an estimate on how many of these harassing accounts have had actions taken against them.

This harassment is being allowed and encouraged (by lack of penalty) by Blizzard and it is getting on my god damn nerves! I paid for a service. I expect privacy and safety. This is not unreasonable. If my bank's website had spam they'd get so many lawsuits thrown at them its ridiculous. Considering this game has personal banking information on many players, I think safety should be priority number 1.

I am being harassed nearly every single day. Blizzard is not taking steps to remove these accounts or ban these IP addresses or is doing a terrible job. Either way, I'm getting pissed and I won't stand for it any longer. I will not sit by and be told "too bad deal with it". If this was a free game I'd be more understanding but you cannot sit here and tell me a multi-billion company is helpless against some Chinese hackers. Seriously.

Can we get some results or statistics of accounts that have been disabled/banned for this? In Diablo 2, those developers posted a message about their 95k cd-key ban to show they are actively fighting this mess. Is it too much to ask for something similar? I've seen no drops in spam chat messages and spam friend requests from the same sites over and over since launch. Every few months I get 2-4 days of no friend requests, though channel spam remains prevalent. Every other day is spam, spam, spam!

Can I get a blue to respond here? Seriously, this is out of control and totally unacceptable. I'm about to lose my damn mind!

#Annoyed # Frustrated #Sick-and-tired-of-being-harassed-every-single-day
Reply Quote
please, dont ever hashtag outside of twitter again.
Reply Quote
no, you cant. I doubt they keep a tally anyway

#octothorpe
Reply Quote
While I understand your frustration... Blizzard owes you nothing. If you don't like it, don't log in. Move on.
Reply Quote
10/17/2013 07:10 AMPosted by justhackitup
I would imagine they have a log file of banned accounts and with some quick Excel work could make a Pivot Table showing bans for spam/botting. It would go a long way in good PR since we get left in the dark about most things Diablo related, not including what's your Nephalem's favorite food.

of course they could figure it out. We could get an exact number of grains of sand on all the beaches on earth as well. Doesn't mean its really worth the time to.

Statistics without context mean nothing anyway. if they've banned 200,000 bot accounts but there are 100000000 of them left, that doesn't reflect well on them. if there are only 10 left, it reflects very well on them.
Reply Quote
10/17/2013 06:57 AMPosted by justhackitup
Seriously, this is out of control and totally unacceptable

I don't think you appreciate just how difficulty controlling friend spam/chat spam would be. I agree that a better job though.

I'm surprised they don't secretly block text and friend requests using hidden qualifiers. In game the 'poster' would still see their text or friend request go through perfectly fine. Players on the other side would never see the message because it's blocked.

IE) No friend request would ever succeed if it had things like:
- .com
- walmart
- kk

In chat: No message would ever go through if:
...... five or more dots are used consecutively
messages of 2 lines or greater have repeating sentences
kk is used in a statement spanning 4 or more lines

You get the idea. Almost all form of spam would be secretly blocked without almost no impact on the player. Blizzard could expand and change this hidden list as the game evolves.
Reply Quote
I'm surprised they don't secretly block text and friend requests using hidden qualifiers. In game the 'poster' would still see their text or friend request go through perfectly fine. Players on the other side would never see the message because it's blocked.

they do

the problem is its a lot easier for the thousands of botters to find a way to make \/V look like W than it is for blizzard's handful of people.
Reply Quote
Just don't go into General/Trade chats. I did an experiment. I went into General chat for 1 hour. Signed off. Next day, I had 5 new friend requests from gold spammers.
I didn't go into any chats for the following week.
Gold spammers: 0
Reply Quote
In Diablo 2, those developers posted a message about their 95k cd-key ban to show they are actively fighting this mess. Is it too much to ask for something similar?

They already do this, you just aren't looking:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10319928/

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5740846683

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7810825

Looks like every 6 months there is a wave of bans.

Looks like "a few thousand" is what the last few waves were.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
10/17/2013 08:39 AMPosted by Audial
In Diablo 2, those developers posted a message about their 95k cd-key ban to show they are actively fighting this mess. Is it too much to ask for something similar?

They already do this, you just aren't looking:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/10319928/

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5740846683

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7810825

Looks like every 6 months there is a wave of bans.

Looks like "a few thousand" is what the last few waves were.
As always, we're staunchly against the use of botting programs, and we regularly issue account bans to those players found to be using bots while playing Diablo III.

These account bans are issued on a weekly and sometimes daily basis, and it's important to keep in mind that while we don't make announcements every time we action players for cheating, our teams are always hard at work to ensure that your online experience is as free of cheats, hacks, bots, and other exploitative activities as possible.

To learn more about our exploitation policy for Diablo III, please visit our official support site.
Reply Quote
#hashtag
Reply Quote
10/17/2013 09:56 AMPosted by Vaeflare
These account bans are issued on a weekly and sometimes daily basis

Awesome, thanks Vaeflare!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]