Diablo® III

Create your own Legendary?

MVP - Diablo III
View profile
I personally think this is a fantastic idea, even though it isn't new by any means. Keep in mind though it IS new for Diablo and as far as I can remember any other Blizzard game. Most of the time they keep this information pretty hush hush and kept behind the scenes. Getting an inside glimpse of the development process for one of the most important/influential parts of the Diablo series is going to be amazing, having the chance as a community to help shape even just one item is icing on the cake.
I find this game very interesting in most ways, except for item drops, there are just too many crappy items, and I hate random properties in crafting and identifying, that's why i'm looking forward to loot 2.0.

I love the graphics, music and ofc my wizard. There are some flaws, but it ain't stopping me from playing the game...

as for the legendary items, the drop rate are fine by me, as I keep farming every black area on the map, but the items aren't so different from other items, what comes to quality and in some cases it's not even for your class..
Reply Quote
Brother Laz has in fact designed several Path of Exile uniques - he didn't pay for the priviledge obviously, GGG knows a good game/item designer when it sees one. Imagine if Blizzard thought to actually ask Brother Laz to do some itemizing for them, instead of whoever the previous head honcho hired.

Another fun fact: Dota was developed inside a Blizzard game. You'd think the company operating the servers hosting the millions of dota games / tournaments would have recognized, if not the greatness of the game itself, the endless money pit staring right at them right?

It's ok to incorporate good ideas of others, even a bit late, but sometimes tardiness can cost millions (or is Riot at billions now? They probably are).

Oh well, the many things that might've been...
Reply Quote
Blizzcon will be hitting pretty soon and there will be tons of information released then. That will be enough at least for the rest of this year. Then it will probably be back to everyone anxiously waiting for more information (more details, release date, etc.).
Reply Quote
Who cares if they took it somewhere else? It's still awesome. At least they're doing some efforts to bring the community together, and a lot of people can appreciate that.
Reply Quote
That's a very interesting opinion... especially considering path of exile has "Hardcore" mode where if you die you can't play in hardcore anymore and you get put back in the default softcore region... i think i recall a game that had something to do with hardcore players and dieing and bad things happen i just can't remember what it was... I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that maybe diablo wasn't the first one to call it hardcore but they still copied it from somewhere.

Your argument is flawed for several reasons
1. Every RPG game copies from other games / DND (If you don't know what DND is you should probably never post on any other forum ever again.)
2. PoE isn't even in the same league as diablo 3 (You want to compare it to diablo 2, which came out 10 years ago, then we'll talk)
3. If you have to pay for a feature to be in the game it doesn't really count. You pay blizz enough money they'll probably put your name on a mob somewhere in the game or name an item after you.
Reply Quote
We do have an EU thread about making own Legendary items, if anyone are interested while we wait on the main "Design A Legendary" here.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5575517724

And to OP. Design a Legendary have been in many other games and forums, not only Action-RPGs.

Note: The affixes on the monsters and some legendaries have been created by Diablofans in this game, we know that. And I think it's awesome.
Reply Quote
let me ask you. why you hate the world so much?

ahh JOKING:)

i think it isn't really a big deal
Reply Quote
View profile
10/18/2013 02:10 PMPosted by Zalm
Also, just so you know, out of their impressive list of over 180 uniques or legendaries, almost a third of them are player and contributer made. Meaning at least 50 different weapons, armour, and other various in game items are player made. Already in the game.

Wow, you spent $1500 on a game just so that you could design your own item? That's genius.
Reply Quote
I don't want to come across as too bitter because I play this game far too much. (Good thing.)
However, several months ago I responded to a request relating this very topic.
I spent maybe an hour (granted, that's not a huge amount of time but it is significant in my opinion) designing a two hand staff that would be more wizard friendly.
In the first 24 hours my post was up I received a few responses and then my post was deleted without any reason.
I put in a support request, emailed forum administrator, the works.
Guess what happened... NOTHING.
So, at this point I'm kinda unwilling to do their job for them.
(prepares for this post to be deleted too.)
Reply Quote
Ok, so this thread got away pretty quick. I would have never imagined it would last this long, much less hit front page overnight. so...just to clear up a few things.

First-
I know PoE's idea for making your own unique wasnt the first, but honestly, they are the first in a long time. Or at least first to do it to a more mainstream audience.

Second- I didnt spend 1500, I only spent 1000(I know, not much of a difference) but it was mroe than just for buying my own legendary. I did it to support a real good game and help it make it to what I wanted it to be. Also, I got more than just a unique item made by me. I got alot of things as well.

I got signed memorabelia from the devs, I got alot of really nice ingame stuff, access to all stages of testing(I'm an alpha tester for this game since before it even went to Open Beta because of my donation) As well as alot of other goodies.

Yes, it was costly, but I feel if a game you really love it worth it, you buy into it and support thos who make it. Honestly, I have bought over 20 copies of War Chest, brand new, from Blizzards site over my years playing to not only get friends to play Diablo 2 with me, lost copies, and to be generous to people who didnt have the money for it themselves. Also to support a company that Made a good game that I liked.

Third-
I'm not saying Diablo 3 is a bad game(though its far from a good game, just not bad), I'm saying PoE is a clearly better game, in every aspect. I recently read a post that quantified my feelings. No skill points, no custom or unique builds and no character development turned Diablo 3 from an ARPG to a facebook app.

Lastly, Depth and complexity isnt bad when it comes to an rpg. RPG is an advanced version of chess, and an ARPG is an action packed version of adcanced chess. When you take away the complexity of chess, it becomes checkers. When you take away the complexity of checkers, it becomes tic tac tow. Diablo 2 is chess, as is PoE. Diablo three is tic tac tow. There is no complexity, there is no fore though, there is no planning, there is no tactics.

Diablo 3 even with the new loot 2.0, will simply remain a poorly designed game with no extra thought to be used. 'Get good gear, click click click, win' is not a game I want to play. I want to play where I have to plan ahead, use tactical judgement, and have a set of decisions before me that does more than change story, it changes gameplay. No decision here change anything.

Again, its not a bad game, just not a good game. If anything, its not even an ARPG anymore. Its Double Dragon with more characters and better graphics.
Reply Quote
10/19/2013 08:11 AMPosted by Zalm
Second- I didnt spend 1500, I only spent 1000(I know, not much of a difference) but it was mroe than just for buying my own legendary. I did it to support a real good game and help it make it to what I wanted it to be. Also, I got more than just a unique item made by me. I got alot of things as well.

I find it amazing that people actually think its bad to support the things you love. I buy humble bundles all the time and go onto forums I frequent and just give away the keys. I do it because I enjoy having the income to support worthy causes and just like today, I spent a few dollars in Hearthstone just because I like the game as it is in beta.
To the OP, I really like things like this. Letting the community get involved, even if it only ends up being one person, is awesome! Only because most games couldn't care less about the community.
Reply Quote
Blizzard learning from the master's it seem's. But you'll never be as good as Path of Exile!
Reply Quote
94 Gnome Mage
10/18/2013 04:36 PMPosted by Lylirra
I think they have a thread about this. Somewhere you can post ideas about the new 'make your own legendary' thing.

I believe this is the article you're referencing: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11291161/

The goal of this particular project is to give interested players a more in-depth look into how Legendary items are made, particularly under our new "Loot 2.0" philosophy. By using a single Legendary item as a point of reference and sharing interviews with the artists/developers responsible for designing and implementing it, we can (hopefully) provide players with a better, more direct understanding of item design in Diablo III and Reaper of Souls.

To makes things a bit more interactive, we're also giving the community the ability to contribute to different parts of the design process for this particular Legendary item. We'll be using polls, podcasts, and contests to facilitate this. This certainly isn't a new idea, and it definitely isn't groundbreaking, but we think it'll be fun (and ideally educational).

We'll see how it goes!

I don't see the point of the OP's post. Of course it's not new... that's not the point.

It's just for fun and to be apart of the game. I for one am excited to get into Maya and Photoshop and start modeling and texturing. Obviously not for everyone but why hate on it... it's supposed to be fun, not original or groundbreaking... duh!
Reply Quote
yep, for FUN!! in a bliz game, come on. Maybe we'll get a new hamburger with a pretzel bun, bacon and avocado.
And even a legendary boat oar, maybe with paddles on both ends.
Looking forward to it. they did so well the first time with items.
Reply Quote

I don't see the point of the OP's post. Of course it's not new... that's not the point.

It's just for fun and to be apart of the game. I for one am excited to get into Maya and Photoshop and start modeling and texturing. Obviously not for everyone but why hate on it... it's supposed to be fun, not original or groundbreaking... duh!

There are 2 reasons why it's sad.

1: it's not an original thought. PoE has been doing it. It comes off as Blizzard just trying to jump on the bandwagon for something that a smaller company did.

2: with the extremely limited affix pools we have now, making a new and unique legendary thats interesting is going to take no real imaginative thought.

It's.... Nice... That Blizzard is trying to let us get in on designing aspects of the game... But it's still kind of tacky.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]