Diablo® III

Create your own Legendary?

10/19/2013 08:11 AMPosted by Zalm
When you take away the complexity of chess,

I'd argue that, from a ruleset perspective, chess has low complexity, but high depth. There are so few actual core rules to chess - it's only when these are combined that a HUGE amount of depth becomes apparent, and near-endless tactics and strategies arise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVL4st0blGU

Sure, linguistically you can describe the mental cognition of that depth as 'complex', but the premise of chess itself as a game? It's quite simple, really.
Reply Quote
Chess isn't complex, and you definitely don't need an internet forum, with kind reassuring people to pat you on the back and tell you "you're okay now, you're free" to learn how to play it. Chess IS incredibly deep (or it can be) but that comes from analyzing a living breathing opponent who is actively trying everything within his/her power to stop you, and in turn kill you back. Imagination and the human vs human interaction create the depth from VERY simple rules. That's what makes it great, and for the record, that holds true for checkers as well which can be just as challenging.

D3 (just like D2 did for a long time) needs a lot of work, and the fact that Blizz is removing the AH's, and reworking the loot system is a real sign of progress. We even have existing examples of loot 2.0 in the console version of this game which has gotten really positive feed back. The change is coming slowly, and I know that sucks, but quick changes like the loot rework in 102 have proven that if there's going to be real progress than it's going to take time. D2 didn't really come into it's own until LoD for example.
Reply Quote
Right, so I explained my point. PoE did it first, are still doing it, and doing it better.
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb2ZjR4wd4I&feature=c4-overview&list=UUeBMccz-PDZf6OB4aV6a3eA

/thread
Reply Quote
I dont even know who this guy is, but he has a decent amount of views, so at least he is also spreading the word.
Reply Quote
if, you really want to create your own legendary. you guys know that that you can go and do that right now this instant. all you have to do is play a console version and hack a legendary item like some lowlife console players are already doing :/ and help them destroy the console multi player even further!
Reply Quote
Hopefully they completely destroy the console version doing stuff like this. That way, D3 can focus on things that really matter, like game mechanics.
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 05:10 PMPosted by Zalm
Hopefully they completely destroy the console version doing stuff like this. That way, D3 can focus on things that really matter, like game mechanics.

that would be nice but doesn't blizzard need to know what game mechanics are before thaey can work on them??
Reply Quote
One nice thing about PoE is it doesnt have the playerbase with an obsession with "efficiency" like d3 does. Oh cool you can come up with a creative fun barb build in d3 now? Pfft here comes 30 barbs screaming "NOT AS EFFICIENT AS WW IT SUX." D2 wasnt about being "efficient" it was about having fun with a fun build.

"efficiency" will be the boring death of this game.
Edited by OmegaDonut#1784 on 10/20/2013 5:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Poe is a really cheap looking game just look at the graffic and the gameplay, its very clumsy you have no idea whats going on the screen when you play a 4 man group, BUT it has its good things but its not a 2013 game thats for sure, and the skill tree is not that amazing.
Reply Quote
One nice thing about PoE is it doesnt have the playerbase with an obsession with "efficiency" like d3 does. Oh cool you can come up with a creative fun barb build in d3 now? Pfft here comes 30 barbs screaming "NOT AS EFFICIENT AS WW IT SUX." D2 wasnt about being "efficient" it was about having fun with a fun build.

"efficiency" will be the boring death of this game.

Well we all already knew this, but at least someone is around to remind everyone.
Reply Quote
10/18/2013 04:36 PMPosted by Lylirra
I think they have a thread about this. Somewhere you can post ideas about the new 'make your own legendary' thing.

I believe this is the article you're referencing: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11291161/

The goal of this particular project is to give interested players a more in-depth look into how Legendary items are made, particularly under our new "Loot 2.0" philosophy. By using a single Legendary item as a point of reference and sharing interviews with the artists/developers responsible for designing and implementing it, we can (hopefully) provide players with a better, more direct understanding of item design in Diablo III and Reaper of Souls.

To makes things a bit more interactive, we're also giving the community the ability to contribute to different parts of the design process for this particular Legendary item. We'll be using polls, podcasts, and contests to facilitate this. This certainly isn't a new idea, and it definitely isn't groundbreaking, but we think it'll be fun (and ideally educational).

We'll see how it goes!

For the love of god, please look at creating a legendary from mats earned from act bosses. I have posted this a few times. No one runs bosses anymore, right? Why not make them drop a mat, kinda like a a keywarden that you can use to craft an item called something like "The Prime Evil" a legendary weapon, helmet, chest, whatever. Something that could be tailored to use the main stat of whoever is crafting it. This would help bring back boss runs at least for a while.
Reply Quote
You see what you guys don't know is that Blizzard hired Jay Wilson to make this game not the best game enough to dominate games like Path of Exile and Torchlight 2 so these hack n slash RPGs can actually earn some money (Share). I mean they know what made Diablo 2 successful but if this game was released and becomes the best sequel to diablo 2.....then I bet nobody would even look at other indie games that means its gonna be a sad sad life. That is all you need to know and do not argue with me lets just agree thats what blizzard is doing and the Diablo 3 you've been waiting for will be released on the next expansion. They just tried putting in AH to think if it will work too. So stop crying honey boo boos
Edited by Janro009#1996 on 10/20/2013 6:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Brander:
Can come with any elemental dmg.
Does aoe behind the enemy that you strike.

Example:
Fire brander, would do A wave of fire what you make enemy miss their hits as they burn over time..
Thunder Brander, Stuns enemys for .35 sec after hit
Poison Brander, Slow enemy attack speed and dmg and dmg over time
Arcane Brander, Enemy have a change of 50% to attack an other enemy in the next second.
Holy Brander, Every enemy hit by the holy explosion has a chance to heal you.
Ice Brander, Slow movement attack speed in a large circle around you everytime you hit or cast a spell

In addition, The firebrander a new skill...
Normal ATTACK...
This does a normal attack with the brander that deals the dps or the skill of youre choice...
Lets say you match arcane brander with arcane orb on a wizzard... what would happen...
As you land a normal sword slash to a monster and not only do you get the spell from the brander but you would release an arcane orb with no possible choice of a rune.

Voila!

Necro wand of the living dead:
This wand would cause every corpse around you has a 50% chance to come back to life to fight for you at 10% of all its stats... or 5min max...

Head of the control:
Off Hand for any class
Lets you mind control any demon and then you can morph that creature into a huge morphed mob to fight for you... That skill would be unlock wearing the off hand and to unlock runes you would have to finish VERY VERY HARD MISSIONS... Almost impossible...
The head also gives you a chance to instantly kill enemy in a radius around it ... like 1-2% chance to kill enemy... Enemy simply suicide when they see the head...

So that its I hope you guys see what I see and that blizzard will appreciate my feed back...
Reply Quote
Second- I didnt spend 1500, I only spent 1000(I know, not much of a difference) but it was mroe than just for buying my own legendary. I did it to support a real good game and help it make it to what I wanted it to be. Also, I got more than just a unique item made by me. I got alot of things as well.

You wouldn't by chance be one of those people who chastizes those that use the RMAH would you? Because that would be ... comical.

And that's great that you got all that stuff for supporting a game, but this is a trade off that the company chose to use as they are a small time company. blizz obviously doesn't need funding help, so they wouldn't relinquish control of their game (although they take suggestions like GGG does). Different companies, different models.

I'm not saying Diablo 3 is a bad game(though its far from a good game, just not bad), I'm saying PoE is a clearly better game, in every aspect.

Maybe you should just keep playing that game? I mean you spent a considerable amount of money on it, why aren't you happy that the game suits you, and the devs are doing more of what you like?

Diablo 3 even with the new loot 2.0, will simply remain a poorly designed game with no extra thought to be used. 'Get good gear, click click click, win' is not a game I want to play. I want to play where I have to plan ahead, use tactical judgement, and have a set of decisions before me that does more than change story, it changes gameplay

Sounds a lot like this other game people keep talking about. I think it's called Path of Exile, have you tried it?
Reply Quote
10/18/2013 04:36 PMPosted by Lylirra
I think they have a thread about this. Somewhere you can post ideas about the new 'make your own legendary' thing.

I believe this is the article you're referencing: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/11291161/

The goal of this particular project is to give interested players a more in-depth look into how Legendary items are made, particularly under our new "Loot 2.0" philosophy. By using a single Legendary item as a point of reference and sharing interviews with the artists/developers responsible for designing and implementing it, we can (hopefully) provide players with a better, more direct understanding of item design in Diablo III and Reaper of Souls.

To makes things a bit more interactive, we're also giving the community the ability to contribute to different parts of the design process for this particular Legendary item. We'll be using polls, podcasts, and contests to facilitate this. This certainly isn't a new idea, and it definitely isn't groundbreaking, but we think it'll be fun (and ideally educational).

We'll see how it goes!

With Blizzcon only about 2 1/2 weeks away is this something that will be explained further in detail or that will be show cased? It seems like Blizzcon would be a great plat form to go over this.
Reply Quote
Really? I wonder, how many people think this is something new and exciting? Makes me seriously wonder if this is something all kinds of awesome and they wanna put their two cents in so bad.

Guess what, its not. They didnt have the idea, they used the idea someone else already did. Only difference is, the other people did it first, did it better, and are still doing it...daily.

https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

You can literally make as many items as you want. Charan and Reaper have made over 3 themselves that are already in game. Thats right, ALREADY IN THE GAME. And its not even released yet. They also have another 1(Reaper) and 2(Charan) coming into the game soon.

I also have a weapon in the game already. You think Blizzard is genius? Try again. They took over a year for an idea that their more successful opponent has already been doing for a year.

Also, just so you know, out of their impressive list of over 180 uniques or legendaries, almost a third of them are player and contributer made. Meaning at least 50 different weapons, armour, and other various in game items are player made. Already in the game.

Let that sink in...these items, that non dev players created, are already obtainable in the game.

And PoE developers charge you $1,000 USD to design a legendary...blizz is offering for free. Let that sink in...
Reply Quote
All the new hacks on the console version would be awesome legendaries. Game breaking legendaries at that!!!
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 05:30 PMPosted by Ytzen
Poe is a really cheap looking game just look at the graffic and the gameplay, its very clumsy you have no idea whats going on the screen when you play a 4 man group, BUT it has its good things but its not a 2013 game thats for sure, and the skill tree is not that amazing.

I agree the skill tree on it's own isn't all that amazing, but the underlying concept between the passive skill tree, skill gems and overall itemization is fantastic. It's all about depth. I mean, items are more than simple stat sticks. Unique items actually can heavily affect the way your character performs from a mechanics standpoint, instead of just being raw increments to your important stats.

This happened in D2 as well. A lot of the items weren't absolutely perfect. Many had one or 2 extremely appealing properties, while the rest was usually just support stuff, or simply negligible. D3 has nothing like this. An item is "amazing" just for containing too many good stats, while most of them are unusable garbage for not containing enough good ones.

Think of an item such as skullder's ire. The item's most appealing property was it's exceptional mf bonus followed by a nice skill boost, yet it had no resistances, no fcr/ias, or health boosts. Finding an ethereal would make the initial meh repair mod very worthwhile. It didn't have it all, yet proper design and a really catchy and strong property made it such a memorable item because it had that unique charming effect, without being an overpowered statstick. Now look at an IK plate from D3. It's just special because it can have a ridiculous amount of stats, often unparalleled by any other, except maybe an incredible BoA archon plate, which doesn't even give you a set bonus.

I think that's what's missing in D3. Less trifecta crap and overall optimized gear, and more exceptionally good single properties to make specific items really memorable, yet remain relatively competitive without being obscenely overpowered. Some other examples of memorable, yet not ridiculously overpowered items: shaftstop (exceptional damage reduction), Buriza (fantastic damage/speed for a crossbow, plus inherent penetration), Vampire Gaze (great damage reduction bonus coupled with life/mana leech).
Reply Quote
Community Manager
So, wait -- what's being debated? (Sorry, I'm not totally sure why we're arguing.)

For players who are interested in learning more about item design in Diablo III (and/or contributing to it), then this will hopefully be a fun little activity. For players who aren't interested in either item design or the structure of the activity itself, then it may not be. If you don't find it interesting or worth your time, that's fine. Skip it! No biggie. (Seriously.) You shouldn't feel obligated to participate in something lighthearted like this, especially since it's completely voluntary.

I mean, let's use your PoE example. I don't imagine that all Path of Exile beta players opted to create a custom unique, right? Similarly, I don't imagine that all current players would necessarily choose to participate today given the chance -- because, hey, not everyone likes the same thing. That doesn't mean that particular service wasn't worth doing or keeping, though. Just look at how much you enjoyed it! I think that's awesome, and I'm glad you had the opportunity to get involved with something you found fun and engaging. In that same vein, we hope that D3 players will find the Design a Legendary project fun and engaging too (albeit for different reasons), but we certainly don't expect it to appeal to everyone.

10/20/2013 06:56 AMPosted by Zalm
Right, so I explained my point. PoE did it first, are still doing it, and doing it better.

Keep in mind that the goals of this activity and Path of Exile's custom unique service aren't in competition with one another (nor are they even really the same), so directly comparing them is a bit short-sighted. At the end of the day, if the Design a Legendary project can help interested players get a better idea of how Legendary items are made in Diablo III and make them feel like they had a hand in shaping something in the game, then we'll consider that a success. And who knows? Maybe it'll lead to other bigger, even funner projects in the future. :)
Edited by Lylirra on 10/21/2013 3:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]