Diablo® III

Create your own Legendary?

Funner isn't a word.

>=|
Reply Quote
At the end of the day, if the Design a Legendary project can help interested players get a better idea of how Legendary items are made in Diablo III and make them feel like they had a hand in shaping something in the game, then we'll consider that a success. And who knows? maybe it'l lead to other bigger, even funner projects in the future. :)

I wouldn't call creating one single legendary item over the course of several months and giving us updates along the way fun. But hey Some people may like it. I'll be waiting for you to tell us more about it though, Lylirra. I'm not interested in anything other than seeing why it takes several months to create a single legendary item. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Hopefully you can hold up your end of the bargain, see this thing through have and meaningful dialog with the community unlike how "Ask the Devs" went. That was just poorly handled.
Edited by Menacetech#1216 on 10/21/2013 8:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
10/21/2013 03:48 AMPosted by NOLLegendz
With Blizzcon only about 2 1/2 weeks away is this something that will be explained further in detail or that will be show cased? It seems like Blizzcon would be a great plat form to go over this.

Hm. While hopefully a fun/insightful activity, the Design a Legendary project isn't something that's core to our development process or Reaper of Souls, so it's not going to be a topic covered at BlizzCon. I imagine the development team will likely discuss Loot 2.0 (and Legendary items) in greater detail, though!
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Lylirra
And who knows? maybe it'l lead to other bigger, even funner projects in the future. :)

I think its a good idea. They don't have to do it. They want to do it. Maybe some people here are interested in how this company and game devs work. I remember that video from d3 how they created a sound and it was very interesting.

Now we have a chance to create an item. Next time maybe a gem, monster, boss, challenge.
Keep it going. :)
Reply Quote
i would probably create something akin to a !@#$% sword with max level stats for all classes, plus four sockets, critical hit damage of 400%, and 14,000 LOH
Reply Quote
dil-do is censored
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 02:30 PMPosted by Lylirra
With Blizzcon only about 2 1/2 weeks away is this something that will be explained further in detail or that will be show cased? It seems like Blizzcon would be a great plat form to go over this.

Hm. While hopefully a fun/insightful activity, the Design a Legendary project isn't something that's core to our development process or Reaper of Souls, so it's not going to be a topic covered at BlizzCon. I imagine the development team will likely discuss Loot 2.0 (and Legendary items) in greater detail, though!

I for one am very excited about it. Seeing that I hope to perhaps get involved in the rough and hellish business of game development, it'd be very insightful!
Reply Quote
So, wait -- what's being debated? (Sorry, I'm not totally sure why we're arguing.)

For players who are interested in learning more about item design in Diablo III (and/or contributing to it), then this will hopefully be a fun little activity. For players who aren't interested in either item design or the structure of the activity itself, then it may not be. If you don't find it interesting or worth your time, that's fine. Skip it! No biggie. (Seriously.) You shouldn't feel obligated to participate in something lighthearted like this, especially since it's completely voluntary.

I mean, let's use your PoE example. I don't imagine that all Path of Exile beta players opted to create a custom unique, right? Similarly, I don't imagine that all current players would necessarily choose to participate today given the chance -- because, hey, not everyone likes the same thing. That doesn't mean that particular service wasn't worth doing or keeping, though. Just look at how much you enjoyed it! I think that's awesome, and I'm glad you had the opportunity to get involved with something you found fun and engaging. In that same vein, we hope that D3 players will find the Design a Legendary project fun and engaging too (albeit for different reasons), but we certainly don't expect it to appeal to everyone.

Right, so I explained my point. PoE did it first, are still doing it, and doing it better.

Keep in mind that the goals of this activity and Path of Exile's custom unique service aren't in competition with one another (nor are they even really the same), so directly comparing them is a bit short-sighted. At the end of the day, if the Design a Legendary project can help interested players get a better idea of how Legendary items are made in Diablo III and make them feel like they had a hand in shaping something in the game, then we'll consider that a success. And who knows? maybe it'l lead to other bigger, even funner projects in the future. :)

ohhh snap!! haha
Reply Quote
Funner isn't a word.

>=|

Merriam Webster says otherwise
fun
adjective

: providing amusement : amusing or enjoyable
sometimes fun·ner
sometimes fun·nest
Reply Quote
The significance of this thread boils down to absolutely nothing.

Let that sink in.
Reply Quote
Blizzard sees a good idea and tried to emulate it.

ITS THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 02:15 PMPosted by Lylirra
You shouldn't feel obligated to participate in something lighthearted like this, especially since it's completely voluntary.

Diablo 3 isn't about being lighthearted. It's about being serious and raging at everything possible. grrr!

It's also all about being forced to do what our Blizzard overlords tell us to.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
10/21/2013 02:28 PMPosted by Menacetech
I'm not interested in anything other than seeing why it takes several months to create a single legendary item.

Of, pft. It doesn't actually take months to create a single Legendary item. That time frame is tied directly to the fact that we want to get the community involved. Specifically, we want to make sure that interested players have time to participate.

If we create a poll, for example, we'll want to give that at least a week -- enough time for people to find out about it and then vote. Then we need another week to tabulate the global results, inform the community, implement whatever you all chose, and then prep for the next stage. Similarly, if we hold a contest, that's going to need a few weeks as well. Podcasts also require time to set up, promote, and then recap. (Logistics, man. Always a party!)

Now, before anyone starts to panic: this isn't going to impact development for ROS. While we may take things a bit slower for this one single Legendary item, the developers will continue to design, iterate, and implement as usual for everything else at their previously-scheduled pace.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
10/21/2013 03:00 PMPosted by End
Let that sink in.

Shall I do so with a bang or a whimper.
Reply Quote
So, wait -- what's being debated? (Sorry, I'm not totally sure why we're arguing.)

For players who are interested in learning more about item design in Diablo III (and/or contributing to it), then this will hopefully be a fun little activity. For players who aren't interested in either item design or the structure of the activity itself, then it may not be. If you don't find it interesting or worth your time, that's fine. Skip it! No biggie. (Seriously.) You shouldn't feel obligated to participate in something lighthearted like this, especially since it's completely voluntary.

I mean, let's use your PoE example. I don't imagine that all Path of Exile beta players opted to create a custom unique, right? Similarly, I don't imagine that all current players would necessarily choose to participate today given the chance -- because, hey, not everyone likes the same thing. That doesn't mean that particular service wasn't worth doing or keeping, though. Just look at how much you enjoyed it! I think that's awesome, and I'm glad you had the opportunity to get involved with something you found fun and engaging. In that same vein, we hope that D3 players will find the Design a Legendary project fun and engaging too (albeit for different reasons), but we certainly don't expect it to appeal to everyone.

Right, so I explained my point. PoE did it first, are still doing it, and doing it better.

Keep in mind that the goals of this activity and Path of Exile's custom unique service aren't in competition with one another (nor are they even really the same), so directly comparing them is a bit short-sighted. At the end of the day, if the Design a Legendary project can help interested players get a better idea of how Legendary items are made in Diablo III and make them feel like they had a hand in shaping something in the game, then we'll consider that a success. And who knows? maybe it'l lead to other bigger, even funner projects in the future. :)

I've observed these forums for a long time now (since the cauldron of jordan time, if that gives a perspective), and I have to say, you are one of the CMs that actually does a good job of being a CM. Just wanted to give you kudos for that. In this reply, you did a good job for addressing criticism and responding to it in an unbiased, detached way, with a civil tone that does not breed more spam or hate. Good job on that. Among blue posts, yours is the only one that I actually try tracking and reading completely (other than the occasional ones from Travis), since I feel other CMs do a shallow job of responding, sadly. Most of the posts I see made by CMs are responses to feedback posts, asking questions for the sake of asking them. Questions that don't really ask for feedback, but sound shallow, as though they were just posted there to make it seem like they want to know more. Here is a great example: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10262196553#6

And here is another one: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/9792649432#5

The other posts are general fluff and useless stuff like http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10262296431?page=4#79

Usually, when I see the "Blizzard" icon on a thread, I expect to see information that will provide insight to the community about what is happening with the game, or clarifying game mechanics. Lylirra, you do a good job of that (it is unfortunate that you are alone in this regard). Thank you :)
Edited by Grim#1684 on 10/21/2013 3:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP
Lylirra, it basically boils down to this.

"I'm angry and upset at Blizzard for whatever reason so I'm going to shoot down and criticize everything that comes out."

Like I said at the beginning of this thread. If you want to make a Legendary item in Path of Exile it will cost you a baseline of $1,500 USD.

What Blizzard is offering is the community a chance to be guaranteed somewhat of a more direct involvement with the creation of an item from start to finish.

It is nearly impossible to do anything nowadays without copying / borrowing / being inspired from something else externally. It's just not possible to create a game with completely 100% new concepts that have never been seen before. The time for such innovation has long since passed. (Besides, if you were to just make a game without any borrowed concepts you would confuse the hell out of your target market)

Like Lylirra said, if you don't want to participate, that's fine... but don't expect it will just be scrapped because you personally don't want to be involved.
Reply Quote
10/18/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Stinkyfinger
Would be great if a legendary could keep you company. Every minute or so it would talk to you and give you some random fact about the world around you.

Actually you can do that in PoE, with the animate weapon or animate guardian skills wich make the weapon fight by your side or equip a invisible gardian with items of you choice. All of this without any interface, just use your skill on a weapon/armor dropped on the ground by a monster and it will rise, pretty cool hum?
Edited by Genez#2639 on 10/21/2013 3:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Gooney goo goo.
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 03:16 PMPosted by Lylirra
Of, pft. It doesn't actually take months to create a single Legendary item. That time frame is tied directly to the fact that we want to get the community involved. Specifically, we want to make sure that interested players have time to participate.

Stop huffin and puffin!!

Understood, but the timeline seems pretty accurate by my assumption since we are still waiting for a quality loot system. Sounds like you plan on putting fourth some serious effort into this. Honestly, I hope it goes well.
Edited by Menacetech#1216 on 10/21/2013 3:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]