Diablo® III

Wizard builds for console

So I played Diablo III quite a bit for PC when it first came out, couldn't stand it for most of the reasons everyone else hate it, primarily horrible non specific drops and the AH. Stopped playing after I beat Inferno for the first time.

Anyways, I have found that the builds I used on my wizard on the PC were not working nearly as well as on the console, primarily because a lot of them had to do with spell placement around you, rather then directly on an enemy. Was just curious builds you guys were using for inferno Master II and up.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WRXSiO!fgX!aZaZaY

That is my current build. No problem with Master II, I swap out Astral Presence for Temporal Flux on Master III for increased survivability

My stats are currently 327k damage, 550+ AR, 55.4k Health, 2.0 Atk Spd.

Would like to see some more console specific build discussions.
Reply Quote
Was using a meteor build but switched to this.. increased my dps by a lot and I went from Master 3 to 5 np.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UlXOjS!ghb!ZYaZac
Reply Quote
I just cannot bring myself to use Blizzard, even though they buffed it I still hate that skill haha
Reply Quote
I never played D3 on PC (tried the beta but really disliked it so i went back to d2 lol) but when it came out on console bough it with my friend and can't stop playing since. Anyway I played a build with disintegrate to level 60 and decided to try a SNS like the PC version and I'm still playing it Plvl 18 now. I do run in M3 but still can die easily if i miss arcane power even so i have 20 APOC. Im currently using ias gear so unbuffed im at 152K and 1.66 aps but at 173K with magic weapon. But i found a lot a gear that increase my dps but decrease my aps and I dont know if I should switch it out. Anyone played SNS and found it viable in M5?
Reply Quote
This is what I have been using. Blizzard keeps cold blooded up and the 20% chance to nova saves my life on m5 all the time. I have about 30% +fire skill damage on gear so my shock pulses as fire damage and meteor both hit hard as crap. been having a blast with this build and I never run out of AP. 2-3 casts of shock pulse against a group and im full. and those 2-3 casts are extremely fast with chantodos wand. i spam meteor and blizzard all day to my hearts content.
Reply Quote
erggg thought i hit ctrl v it didnt link haha
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bPXYSl!ceW!ZaaZcZ
Reply Quote
Just switched to some gear that increase my DPS and im now at 233K DPS and 2.00 APS and im killing way more faster because my crit dmg is way more important. So I don't know what to think anymore lol because i though the aps was the most important to "perma-freeze" which i never been able to do on elite in M3 :/ If someone could help me on this. And here my build for good mesure:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#VhXYST!gbW!YccZcc
Reply Quote
im at 280k unbuffed dps 53%crit 2.14 aps ~900 ar 70k hp
i tried SNS and i melt away monsters at master3 and master 4 and 5 i find it easier with the old school bliz/hydra build.

EDIT
nevermind. I'm actually at 261k dps and played master 5 just fine. Took about 30-40 seconds to kill elites tho I permafreeze most of the time with 2.14 aps. Even single monsters. So I can't agree with aps breakpoints for permafreeze other people are saying. Or maybe I got lucky with crits consistently for an hour
Edited by riceandkimch#1828 on 10/20/2013 12:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
SNS 671k unbuffed, 4957 armor 92k hp 3.031 aps, 57% cc, 950 AR. works fine for master 5. Solo ubers and carry full party.
Reply Quote
10/19/2013 04:43 PMPosted by Bambi
i though the aps was the most important to "perma-freeze" which i never been able to do on elite in M3

It is. But 2.00 aps is way to low to perma freeze and return sufficient apoc. 2.51 is the minimum aps. 2.72 aps is considered minimum for ubers. 3.02 is breakpoint for perma freeze on ubers.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200301791
This will explain all the breakpoints and required aps/cc.
Reply Quote
If you read my post higher i can go to 2.66 aps( which i notice now have a typo its not 1.66) but my dps drop to 140 unbuffed ... so i dont know what to do
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Priest
I really enjoy archon myself.

http://d3up.com/b/1144372/mrdsl
Reply Quote
10/19/2013 06:50 PMPosted by riceandkimch
permafreeze most of the time

Key words here are "most of the time". Solo or full party? Have you tried ubers at 2.14 M5? Not being a smart !@# just an honest question. The difference between 2.14 aps (26 ticks per tornado) and 2.73 (36 ticks per tornado) makes a huge difference on ubers.

If you read my post higher i can go to 2.66 aps( which i notice now have a typo its not 1.66) but my dps drop to 140 unbuffed ... so i don't know what to do

Sheet dps is not the most important thing if going CM.
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 05:26 AMPosted by Steave
Sheet dps is not the most important thing if going CM.

To clarify. Character sheet dps is not an accurate representation on weapon damage used by your skill to calculate damage.
It does not take into account the +20% damage from cold blooded, the +15% damage from frost nova/bone chill, or the +20% damage from slow time/time warp.

It is not an accurate representation of you effective damage output when utilizing multiple skill simultaneously. It does not represent total damage output from Energy Twister (360% weapon damage over 6 sec), Diamond Skin/Diamond Shards (210% weapon damage every time it is refreshed. At the higher breakpoints this 1 sec or less.), Storm Armor/Shocking Aspect (100% weapon damage/35% weapon damage chance on crit.), Explosive Blast/Chain Reaction (97% weapon damage per explosion. Again at higher breakpoints this is constant after the initial 1.5 sec cast.).

While gearing from 2.51aps to 2.72 aps i notice a huge difference to freeze uptime, arcane recover, cm procing and overall damage output. The same can be said from the transition from 2.72 to 3.02. At every breakpoint my sheet dps dropped due to sacrificing extra int rolls or cd rolls for ias but my effective damage output was noticeably higher as was my ability to freeze lock single target elites and ubers.

TL;DR
Effective damage output will come naturally as you increase aps and cc due to more procs from cm reducing cooldowns on DS, FN and EB and character sheet dps is not something that should be stressed over as long as it does not significantly reduce your effective damage output. You will notice a huge difference in your ability to freeze and cooldown reduction as you increase in aps.
Reply Quote
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UelSOj!WYf!ZabZZa

Lightning storm build as i like to call it. Not geared enough to take on master 5 yet but between 1-3 im running just fine ( m1 is murdering as if u were playing easy with half the dmg lol )

The 3rd passive is under testing on my end feel free to put in whatever u like there. Arcane torrent can be replaced by pretty much anything but imo its the best skill to use when u want to be able to fire from afar while doing sustained massive dmg

377k buffed 5.7k armor 55k life 4.2k int 2.19 APS 47% crit chance 353% crit dmg 33% CC reduction 25% mov speed and 313% MF para 24 master 1 ( ruby in helm ). Valid build with 2APS +
Reply Quote
I'm new to this game and am still trying to grasp the concept of skill building and changing tactics to adjust damage. I've just been going along with it, changing my skills as I grow. I don't really have a set type of Wizard I want. I just know that I do have a few moves I favor more than others, even if they are not the strongest. Teleport with the Wormhole rune is one such example ^_^

However, recently I've heard a lot of talk about builds so I decided to look into it and am super confused still. I guess it's good to show other people your build, but builds, at least to me, are based on how that person plays and which attacks they use and in what order. I figured any build could be just as good as the next, if the person used it in a way that was advantageous to their situation.

I guess now I'm sort of swaying away from that though, as I understand certain combinations can capitalize on attributes and be more beneficial when mixed properly.

Either way, I wanted to show what I've been using and see what you guys thought. It's not a build aimed at any particular style, like I said, just random as I customized my skills to each boss, level, or other situation. Also, sometimes just getting bored of the same attack encouraged me to mix things up.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#URYPTh!fbc!ZZZYZb

So, any advice on what I can do with this to increase my damage output or critical chance or anything?
Reply Quote
Oh, one caveat off of that is that for the passive skills, my third passive isn't Prodigy, it's Critical Mass but I couldn't find that in the selection box.
Reply Quote
06/21/2014 04:17 PMPosted by xMadCastx
Oh, one caveat off of that is that for the passive skills, my third passive isn't Prodigy, it's Critical Mass but I couldn't find that in the selection box.

That's because the skill calculator is meant for PC and the Reaper of Souls expansion changed a lot of the skills and passives in the game.

Console is still on vanilla D3.

06/21/2014 04:14 PMPosted by xMadCastx
I'm new to this game and am still trying to grasp the concept of skill building and changing tactics to adjust damage. I've just been going along with it, changing my skills as I grow. I don't really have a set type of Wizard I want. I just know that I do have a few moves I favor more than others, even if they are not the strongest. Teleport with the Wormhole rune is one such example ^_^

However, recently I've heard a lot of talk about builds so I decided to look into it and am super confused still. I guess it's good to show other people your build, but builds, at least to me, are based on how that person plays and which attacks they use and in what order. I figured any build could be just as good as the next, if the person used it in a way that was advantageous to their situation.

I guess now I'm sort of swaying away from that though, as I understand certain combinations can capitalize on attributes and be more beneficial when mixed properly.

Either way, I wanted to show what I've been using and see what you guys thought. It's not a build aimed at any particular style, like I said, just random as I customized my skills to each boss, level, or other situation. Also, sometimes just getting bored of the same attack encouraged me to mix things up.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#URYPTh!fbc!ZZZYZb

So, any advice on what I can do with this to increase my damage output or critical chance or anything?

It depends on what you want to do. There are top builds, which is to say builds that are the most efficient and kill the fastest on high master levels.

The absolute best farming build is Archon. You can stack really high DPS and just mow down everything in your path. The faster you kill the longer you will be in Archon. You get to a point where your just always in Archon. Nothing kills faster or more efficiently than perma archon. However its a farming build and mostly limited to act 3 areas such as the keeps or rakkis crossing because its just nonstop enemies all the time for you to keep killing and increasing your archon duration.

Critical mass, or its variants like SNS is probably the best all purpose wizard build. You don't need the best gear or the best stats like you do for high level Archon because the damage multipliers do the work and sheet dps means very little. You just have to meet a few certain requirements to use it. Such as a minimum of 2.74 ias, 50%cc and about 20 apoc, none of which is that hard to aquire.It isn't locked into a timer the way Archon is so its usable in all areas of the game. But it will never kill as fast or effiently as a decked out Archon will.

Beyond Archon and CM/SNS there are plenty of other builds that can handle M5, just none kill as fast as Archon and none offer the kind of spammable attacks and survivability as CM.

In all honesty if you aren't using Archon or CM you aren't playing the wizard to his full potential, your just playing whats fun for you. And that's perfectly fine. This isn't a competitive game. You don't get any medals for being the best. So ultimately if you don't like Archon or CM than just do whatever makes you happy. That's really all the game is supped to be. A fun diversion.
Edited by SBUDL#1327 on 6/21/2014 5:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I do not wish to be THAT guy, but I keep seeing the passive skill Dominance.

That isnt in the console version correct?

Or am I just blind, a viable explanation no doubt.. xDDD
Reply Quote
06/21/2014 08:35 PMPosted by OnyxStorm
I do not wish to be THAT guy, but I keep seeing the passive skill Dominance.

That isnt in the console version correct?

Or am I just blind, a viable explanation no doubt.. xDDD

You are correct. Dominance is not in the current console version. It will be once UEE hits though. But wave bye bye to critical mass as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]