Diablo® III

Experimental Disintegrate Build for Mp10

My Fellow Wizards,

I have played both Archon & SNS specs in the past and got burnt out on wiz so decided to level a Witch Doctor and was having a blast with Plague Bats, then I saw a video with that pro Wiz Jaetch trying something a bit different with his Ninja Wizard Build, so it gave me a little inspiration to try something different myself for the heck of it. Forgive my ignorance if in fact this particular build has been tried before but after some experimenting this seemed to work decently for me on mp10 with fast clear times in the areas I tested (Fields of Misery, Weeping Hollow, Vota, Festering Woods).

After trying out several combinations of gear with different stats, the link to my profile http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/vipes-1257/hero/23860703 seemed to be the most effective combo of gear and abilities that ensured good survivability, sustain and DPS. From several runs tweaking, the changes that seemed to help the most were

15 to 20 APOC
Lifesteal of 2.5 % or more on Weapon along with 1.5% LS from Blood Weapon, Skorn users can skip this and go for the additional 5% damage
800 to 1000 LOH
Astral Presence Passive
4000 Armor (unbuffed)
650 AR (unbuffed)
50k Health

Basically your main damage dealer will be Disintegrate with the Entropy rune which functions similar to the Witch Doctor's Plague Bats but without the dot, the coefficient for LOH on entropy is 1.00 which gives you great sustain along with the LS to basically stand in place and faceroll elites or white mobs pretty easily. I used blizzard with stark winter to pull mobs in and also to boost damage with cold blooded, this also helped mobs come into the cone a lot slower, allowing more dps time overall and saving me from taking damage.

My CC with scoundrel is 55% which allowed me to burn down most packs on MP10 without running out of AP , on the rare occasion I did find myself out of AP a short 1 to 3 Second Burst of Living Lighting quickly refilled my bubble, I think another skill can probably be used in its place since it was rarely used in most of my runs. Results may vary according to gear and MP level but any further tweaking or advice on how to make the build better will surely be welcomed.

If this works for any of my fellow wizards then I am happy to have given something back to this outstanding community which has helped me learn so much about this game and all of the classes I have played. Hope you have as much fun as I am having shredding monsters with this build!
Edited by vipes#1257 on 10/20/2013 10:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Deja vu?

Anyway, why not arcane dynamo?
Reply Quote
To be honest with my current setup I rarely use the signature spell even on MP10, unless its one of those intolerable packs with shielding where a lot of damage is lost, I can pretty much spam Disintegrate for quite a while.

I can see where that would be a great alternative for people who may want to buff DPS if they have AP issues or even Mitigation issues because of Glass Cannon use. I was actually gonna try Frost Hydra today since its lower AP cost so easily spammable and it should do the same job as blizz in terms of slowing the incoming mobs while providing the chill effect for the cold blooded passive.

The build relies on high dps to get the job done quickly before mobs can do too much damage since it doesn't have that nice perma freeze ability like SNS, so I tried to use as many DPS buffing abilities that my gear would allow. I think dropping some AS may help to allow the removal of the signature spell since AP burn should be reduced significantly and another spell like teleport added to the mix, DPS would need to remain the same of course or need to be higher since LOH and LS returns per second will be affected. Further testing is required :D , thanks for the input and by your comment I assume you have tried this build or something similar before?
Reply Quote
Unless you consider SS similar, I have no experience with disintergrate builds whatsoever.

It's just when the signature spell is already here, you can change glass cannon or cold blooded for arcane dynamo, and get a much bigger damage boost. I agree it might need some change of playstyle now that you need to cast a couple of signatures first before you start spamming disintegrate, instead of spamming disintegrate immediately, but it's definitely worth looking into.

If you decide not to use arcane dynamo I think dropping the signature for a utility or damage boosting skill. You might run out from time to time, which will costs you some time, but you will easily make back that time with your damage boost or utility skill.
Reply Quote
I salute you on a non critical mass build. I always found Chaos Nexus much better than any other Disintegrate rune, but maybe I'll give Entropy another shot after reading this.

My take on Disintegrate builds:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10196069904?page=2#22
Reply Quote
IMO drop astral presence for Arcane Dynamo. Your sig spell is much better at regaining AP than astral presence anyway, and you already have a sig spell so you might as well get something out of it on the times you use it. It only takes a couple LL against one or more mobs to refill your AP if needed. You don't have to use it much, but with a minor change to play style you can easily utilize AD on large groups of mobs and elites.

I also prefer to drop GC for CM since survivability on MP10 is very important for that build, and with AD you get a bit of relative diminishing returns from the GC damage bonus. That lets me swap blizzard and/or sparkflint for teleport and/or EB. I love EB - short fuse for large groups of mobs, and the resulting build is basically a disintegrate version of Archon with teleport. I still use CB thanks to a cold damage follower since I mainly play solo.
Reply Quote
IMO drop astral presence for Arcane Dynamo. Your sig spell is much better at regaining AP than astral presence anyway, and you already have a sig spell so you might as well get something out of it on the times you use it. It only takes a couple LL against one or more mobs to refill your AP if needed. You don't have to use it much, but with a minor change to play style you can easily utilize AD on large groups of mobs and elites.

I also prefer to drop GC for CM since survivability on MP10 is very important for that build, and with AD you get a bit of relative diminishing returns from the GC damage bonus. That lets me swap blizzard and/or sparkflint for teleport and/or EB. I love EB - short fuse for large groups of mobs, and the resulting build is basically a disintegrate version of Archon with teleport. I still use CB thanks to a cold damage follower since I mainly play solo.

Sounds like we play the exact same build (although I use Chain Reaction.)
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 09:09 PMPosted by GunnersDream
Sounds like we play the exact same build (although I use Chain Reaction.)

Yeah, very similar. I seem to be stuck on using short fuse for some reason in most of my alternative builds. I know chain reaction does more effective damage if all hits land, but without high APS the tics occur somewhat slow and I mainly use it for aoe groups. With short fuse it only takes a couple EB to kill the entire group, so I think I get more efficiency out of short fuse, but I haven't really ran numbers on it. That and it makes it similar to the Archon ability mapped to the 1 key.
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 10:58 PMPosted by Loroese
I seem to be stuck on using short fuse for some reason in most of my alternative builds. I know chain reaction does more effective damage if all hits land, but without high APS the tics occur somewhat slow and I mainly use it for aoe groups. With short fuse it only takes a couple EB to kill the entire group, so I think I get more efficiency out of short fuse, but I haven't really ran numbers on it. That and it makes it similar to the Archon ability mapped to the 1 key.

I went through the same with my SS build, though in the end I ended up with CR. Against whites the difference is hardly noticeable, because they die so fast anyway, especially if you already cast CR when you see a pack at the edge of your screen. Against elites, CR was a clear winner for me though. The extra damage is definitely notable here.
Reply Quote
@ #4 The idea behind the build was to try to replicate the play style of the witch doctor's plague bats ability, albeit no dot effect of course. The number one frustration that arose with the witch doctor was enough mana/dps to maintain a steady burn through most MP10 Elite packs, after various combinations of passives and gear I realized that the way APOC as a mechanic worked on my Wizard had spoiled me rotten, hell even Astral Presence feels so much stronger than Spiritual Attunement in resource recovery.

I see the point both you and Loroese are trying to make regarding the switch to dynamo and how it may in fact result in higher DPS over a timed period, but as you pointed out it does require a bit of a shift in play style. In a perfect scenario I want the build to be able to function off just two spells, a mob round up (blizzard) and damage dealer (Entropy) which can handle both AOE and Single targets efficiently on MP10, and yes I confess I am a Lazy Bum who doesn't like to smash too many buttons and likes to keep things simple :D

Oh and btw Loroese I did try the build with some CM and EB with chain reaction even frost nova with the extra 15% dmg but felt a bit clumsy at times to stop channelling for the 1 or 2 sec nova effect, it did work pretty well tho since the white packs seemed to go down a bit faster but I soon realized I was ending right back up with just another CM/SNS build which is exactly what I didn't want. Has anyone tried it out at all yet tho? If so what has your experience been with your gear and what MP Level(s) did you try?
Reply Quote
I'm rooting for you, vipes! :-) Once I get my latest wiz leveled I'm going to try this build and various other combos of disintegrate builds. I used entropy for a bit on my mines wiz and I agree that it's useful in the same way that plague bats is useful.
Reply Quote
you should also try to get source with +blizzard duration
Reply Quote

Oh and btw Loroese I did try the build with some CM and EB with chain reaction even frost nova with the extra 15% dmg but felt a bit clumsy at times to stop channelling for the 1 or 2 sec nova effect, it did work pretty well tho since the white packs seemed to go down a bit faster but I soon realized I was ending right back up with just another CM/SNS build which is exactly what I didn't want. Has anyone tried it out at all yet tho? If so what has your experience been with your gear and what MP Level(s) did you try?

I play the builds I listed on mp10 and I do not use Frost Nova (except in the party build.)
You really don't have to mash EB much (and as targets dwindle, you can't anyway), and can switch to something like Time Warp for reasonably competitve dps if you really don't want to use EB. The dps is a decent amount less, but if you go Time Warp, you can drop Critical Mass altogether and run Illusionist.
Reply Quote
I like entropy. No frills or escalating damage, just a nice big AOE with consistent damage that penetrates walls. But I think with the build and gear in your profile, you will surly run dry of AP on MP10 elites from time to time without a sig spell. Have you considered -disi cost gear?
Reply Quote
10/22/2013 07:59 AMPosted by vipes

I've ran my build on MP10 and it works pretty well, but it's not very efficient, so I prefer Archon MP9 for farming. That's with 20 APoC and a -AP to dis SoJ.

I never tried it with frost nova because I didn't want it to turn into an SNS build, like you said. EB by itself is fine and pretty easy to cast every so often or mash against trash mobs. The reason I like short fuse over CR is that I don't really use it against elites so the higher sustained dps from CR never really comes into play and the higher short term burst damage from short fuse seems more useful to me. I haven't ran numbers on it but that's my line of thinking at least.
Reply Quote
@ ThreeStars Thanks Dude ! Been actually trying out the Wizard's version of COB aka Sleet Storm

@ChangBooster You are correct sir on MP10 , I do have trouble with AP on certain Elite combos like fast moving, shielding etc but TBH compared to the eternity I would have to wait on a WD to regain enough mana to start my main DPS again the down time isn't that bad maybe 1.5 to 2 secs at best, if you add to the fact that you have to avoid certain mechanics then the downtime is even less since whenever you stop channelling to move you recover AP, but from my observations once there are at least 2 mobs or more in the cone's radius I rarely go empty on AP so I can kite elites into white mobs if they have affixes like Extra Health or Shielding which requires a longer DPS fight overall

@loroese I feel ya dude, I myself haven't run the numbers on the build itself but having played most of the cookie cutter specs out there on several MP Levels you get a feel for how fast things die in comparison to other builds, each build has its pros and cons of course and maybe stronger in one type of fight over the other.

I actually was looking at spells again last night and decided to try Sleet Storm which looked an awful lot like the Witch Doctor COB ability with no ramp up of course so I tried out a build where I dropped the GC for CM and brought in TP with Safe Passage, the results so far have been pretty sweet especially since the occulus I bought to use with the entropy build had a 4Sec CD for TP which I wasn't even using, needless to say dropping the GC gave me a nice EHP Boost to try out this build.

Some of the problems with the WD COB is you have to actually walk up to pacts and can take some damage if faced with ranged mobs before starting DPS, also knockback and other channel interrupting moves can be a serious problem for the build especially with the high initial recast cost for COB. Last night with the use of Teleport, CM & TimeWarp the freedom to zip around packs and even those pesky elites was downright AWESOME! At one point I could of sworn I yelled out "I'm Batman " lolz.

Basically the tp gives great mobility and even mitigation if you choose to use Safe Passage, with my crit and the 4 sec CD reduction from my source I always had TP available within 4 to 5 Secs of using it ensuring an additional 30% DMG reduction constantly. The bubble gave me a nice 20%DMG boost and also helped with mitigation through AS reduction on mobs surrounding me which is fantastic for this build since you need to get right into the middle of mobs. The best part is since I know longer need to use blizzard thats a huge AP savings over the entropy build, add to the fact that SS has about 100%(forgive the math, too lazy to check so just avg) more weapon DMG over entropy as an ability, even tho I dropped GC as a passive my overall DPS to packs went up , as well as my AP savings per fight.

Overall I gained more dps, more mitigation and insane mobility around the battlefield and as a side benefit I feel like Batman, how cool is that! Wish I had video to demonstrate the build in action but check my profile for the latest iteration (work in progress, always tweaking :D) and give it a whirl, tell me what you guys think.
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 11:58 AMPosted by vipes
Wish I had video to demonstrate the build in action but check my profile for the latest iteration (work in progress, always tweaking :D) and give it a whirl, tell me what you guys think.

http://youtu.be/oHdq3xA_zgY

http://youtu.be/LwLG08nzlIg

http://youtu.be/jDcfNSnWC2g
Reply Quote
Nice build Malakai, gameplay is similar but different. I see you basically have a SNS Wiz setup except you have SS instead of WW. I didn't want to go back to the button smashing of CM and those oh so lovely AS Breakpoints. I noticed in one of the videos you were running at 1.88 APS, not sure how the coefficient on SS lines up for procs against the traditional WW but are you using the Nova for the freeze or DPS boost, also with the spamming on FN and EB does that interrupt SS alot? Nice gear tho dude very high resists even without EA and great DPS. I would imagine with that gear, doesn't matter what build you use, monsters would be butter :D

Edit: Just looked at the last video and see you dropped the FN and traded Astral for PH (recently did that myself) only difference between our builds is EB vs Slow Time in that last video and 2H vs 1H setup, I would imagine with the slower AS, AP burn would be less of a problem and APOC from one item would be enough? LS with a 2 hander would also be a big plus and allow you to get away with less Mitigation stats on gear.
Edited by vipes#1257 on 10/23/2013 1:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@vipes Nice effort and ty for the info on this thread, trying mine out doing some adjusting still but man this is a fun build.
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 01:30 PMPosted by vipes
Nice build Malakai, gameplay is similar but different. I see you basically have a SNS Wiz setup except you have SS instead of WW.

Kinda, sorta. SNS uses Chain Reaction, Shocking Aspect, and Diamond Shards. The 2H Skorn video uses Unleashed, Reactive Armor, Sparkflint, and Force Weapon, and no freezing at all. My newest 1H SS video uses Chain Reaction, Power of the Storm, Deep Freeze, and Blood Magic. The 2nd video I linked uses Chain Reaction, Blood Magic, Deep Freeze, and I think I was using Pinpoint Barrier. So the idea is similar through using CM to reset cooldowns on some stuff, but none of them rely on perma-freeze nor use Diamond Shards or Shocking Aspect.

I didn't want to go back to the button smashing of CM and those oh so lovely AS Breakpoints.

It's just 1 button with these SS videos that you mash (Explosive Blast) while holding down the SS button, so it's not bad at all really.

I noticed in one of the videos you were running at 1.88 APS, not sure how the coefficient on SS lines up for procs against the traditional WW

According to the latest findings by Nubtro and Apo, channeled spells appear to have an almost fixed rate at which they proc CM (and most probably Shocking Aspect, too) which is only boosted by CC, and IAS has no real bearing on the proc rate. Certain breakpoints proc it less or more than others, but it's all wonky like and no one's really figured it out yet. You can start reading about it here:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8770117237?page=6#104

It goes on for quite a few pages, but it's some really great reading.

are you using the Nova for the freeze or DPS boost

Both. I try not to freeze when I don't have to, though. That way I cut down on SS interruptions for higher dps output. When I need to, what I try to do is FN, and when it wears off I cast Safe Passage. When that wears off FN should be back up so I cast that again, and when that wears off cast Safe Passage. And so on, and so forth. The flow is different depending on the fight, so the order and/or frequency with which I cast those 2 defensive buffs changes a lot, but you get the general idea. Sometimes I don't need to cast either one at all except for the CC buff from Deep Freeze.

also with the spamming on FN and EB does that interrupt SS alot?

EB doesn't interrupt anything. And like I mention above, I don't spam FN indiscriminately like SNS tends to do. Just enough to keep me alive and/or keep the crit buff going.

I would imagine with that gear, doesn't matter what build you use, monsters would be butter :D

In the 1st video I posted, the gear is somewhat specialized in that it has no Lifesteal from gear (just uses Blood Magic to heal) and has huge EHP as a buffer between Frost Nova and Safe Passage casts, and doesn't really work well with too many other builds because of not being able to output enough damage to make 1.5% LS enough healing (ie - lower multiplier). I can pull it off with Archon easily, and I also use it with Black Ice when doing FoM runs, but that's about it. The 2nd video is also somewhat specialized in that it uses a lot of bonus Ray of Frost CC gear, so it only really works well with SS and Black Ice. The 3rd video is the Skorn setup, and that gear can also be used for Black Ice, Disintegrate, Archon, and Arcane Torrent builds, but not as well as other gear setups I have. When going to other builds, some of the pieces remain the same, but I have a lot of different off-hands, weapons, helms, amulets, rings, gloves, and chest pieces that I use for those builds.

Anyhow, keep experimenting with Sleet Storm and Disintegrate! You might come across something fresh, new, and exciting to play around with.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]