Diablo® III

Did anyone buy this game for the promise of PVP?

Without it, no barb and many other builds can even hope of competing against sorceress in multiplayer.

I've seen good barbs built for BvS do very well back in my day. And this was in classic when you didn't have things like cold, lightning, or fire absorb. All it really took was a lance, lots of life, lots of speed, and cannot be frozen.

Unless things changed before enigma rolled around.
Reply Quote
All of those builds worked. I stopped making Pallys after a while but my last one had 14k Hammers with 99FCR max block max res and near 3k life. It wrecked. Javazons can be monstrous and Charged Strike can be the single strongest attack in the game. Farcast ruined that tho sadly. I've had a Meteor Sorc do 50k and would zip around the map until I lured someone into the path. Blizzard could get over 10k and 1-shot most people that didn't totally stack resists or use double Raven Frosts. Trap Sins are the most OP char in PVP D2 is you play them right with max block, max resist, Mind Blast, though I totally hate them. Summoner Necros are indeed tough but if you make a Bone Necro and put 1 pt into Revive you can get a nice army/mob-shield of say 10-20 monsters based on your gear. Obviously CE won't work in PVP because it only pops monsters....

So did Fireball Sorc, Frozen Orb Sorc, Tornado Druids, Fissure/Armageddon Druids, Bowzons, WW/Kick Sins, I even had a nice Poison Nova Necro. My Frenzy Barb does decently on chars that don't have max block (its my PVE build tho) and WW is classic. Some Conc Barbs even still run around like tanks. Other skills I've seen dominate in PVP are Hydra, Firewall, Grizzly Summon Druid (gets really strong but most people just TG with it. boo.)

Also you could make a Smiter, Zealers kind of died out, Rabies Druid, Fireclaw Druid, Zealsorc (my fav!), Lightning Sorc, Nova Sorc, FoH Pally, Charge Pally, hmmm let's see I may have missed a few but I think by this nice neat list I've compiled you are compelled to see that D2 had many many more viable builds in respect to PVP.

well I know that ladder definitely made a hell of a lot more builds viable, and the ladder specific items was right around when I quit so I'll have to take your word for it :)
Reply Quote

Without it, no barb and many other builds can even hope of competing against sorceress in multiplayer.

I've seen good barbs built for BvS do very well back in my day. And this was in classic when you didn't have things like cold, lightning, or fire absorb. All it really took was a lance, lots of life, lots of speed, and cannot be frozen.

Unless things changed before enigma rolled around.

That was before Enigma became the staple of any play, but yes you are correct.

The barb that you mentioned is pretty similar to what i have now on my profile page. That is what makes this game good, since it allows a variety of builds to be workable in the PVP grounds.

I do not want to be pigeon holed into a teleporting one shot glass-cannon build. It defies my roots as a tank. :)

Troll Hunting MVP
Sanguine Palladian Autonomous Noob Kicker™ (S.P.A.N.K.)
AKA The Black Brigade; We Hunt For Sport ®
Caution: I'm a dude.
Reply Quote
Raiyne, once Enigma was introduced it was a staple I agree. If you weren't using one and weren't a Sorc chances are your char was outdated. But, this is progress. It set a new tier for players to reach.

So the only option you mean is to pigeon hole everybody into a glass-cannon teleporting build? Some diversity that is.

Thank god it was scrapped in Diablo 3. :)

That's like saying its not fair to horses that cars exist because cars are just so superior. Times are a-changin. Keep up or get left behind ^_^

Yes the times are indeed changing. I don't know about you, but i am keeping extremely well in this game which is the latest in the franchise installment. Don't you agree? :)

My barb has the ability to go into hunker-down mode and shrug off the most punishing of damages in PVP, most of the time. Good luck doing that in D2. :)

Troll Hunting MVP
Sanguine Palladian Autonomous Noob Kicker™ (S.P.A.N.K.)
AKA The Black Brigade; We Hunt For Sport ®
Caution: I'm a dude.
Edited by ZRaiyne#6337 on 10/20/2013 4:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote

That was before Enigma became the staple of any play, but yes you are correct.

The barb that you mentioned is pretty similar to what i have now on my profile page. That is what makes this game good, since it allows a variety of builds to be workable in the PVP grounds.

I do not want to be pigeon holed into a teleporting one shot glass-cannon build. It defies my roots as a tank. :)

Lol fair enough, and I can sympathize. I didn't enjoy sorc pvp being Go FO or go home. I don't how how hydra could have worked out as justhackitup might have said because of the inherent flaw of hydras being so damn easy to avoid, but that was a build i thoroughly enjoyed taking into pvp, despite it being a colossal failure at the time.

Similarly barbs were all WW or go home, Zons were GA or go home, Necro's were BS or go home, paladins were Smite or go home etc etc.

Thankfully we don't have to worry about being pidgeonholed into teleporting glass cannon cause blizzard will never introduce fun affixes like that :p /sarcasm
Edited by Providence#1541 on 10/20/2013 4:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just a cool but low quality vid of a nice firewall sorc, makes me want to start one up ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=583aiRqhLGM

haha nice to see firewall actually workin out.

btw is that a naked amazon LF at 24 sec?
Reply Quote
For people who don't give 2 !@#$s about PVP, no problems I see
Reply Quote
pvp was terrible in d2 as well, get over it
Reply Quote
10/18/2013 06:14 PMPosted by Shifu
What actions has Blizzard taken since the launch of D3 on PVP? I'm so bored out of my mind beating up monster in MP10. Dueling is dumb and dull. It's use survival skills that lasts 4 seconds and dead afterwards. Gear does nothing in Dueling, Good DPS = 1 Hit your dead. So dumb.

I think dueling is stupid because people use the teleport back to town to refresh there resources and then don't believe that's cheating the system.
Some players believe that they are amazing and no one can kill them yet they act like the gingerbread man, whenever they are close to death or out of resources they run to the port instead of just dying (which has no adverse effects on anything, not even a leaderboard).
This aspect alone is what make dueling lame.

I also had my friend telling me about HC level 9 characters in D2, where him and friends would level an HC toon to level 9 and then duel to the death to see who had the best level 9 character, or even gearing out your merc like a crazy man and having going hostile just to see who has the stronger merc. These are two of the reasons that I decided to purchase Diablo 3
Reply Quote
I did, somewhat -- and I'm still pretty peeved about it. My beef is that I already know they're going to charge us for it in RoS. They'll make us pay an additional $40 for PvP and won't include it for free in classic Diablo III.

Also...

No.

PS: 10K Elite kills. One character and class at level 60. Why don't you play the game? If you are bored with the little you have played of it, maybe this just isn't the game for you. Go get a copy of GRO.

Pretty sure 10k elite kills and a character at level 60 is enough to know that everything is a repeat over and over again and that, in its current state, the game sucks.
Reply Quote
D3 can't have interesting PvP without excellent character customization/builds such as D2's

Why would you PvP for ? To see which free skill set - auto allocated stats are better ?
Reply Quote
And for the person who said sc is Blizzard's only competitive game.... good grief. Not into their other rts? Not into 40 man raids and world pvp? And definitely not into hc diablo....

I said their only competitive PvP game.

WC unfortunately does not nearly have the following SC does.
WoW raiding is something, but thats PvE
WoW pvp by most metrics is considered a joke by other gamers
Diablo pvp, well... I never hear that get mentioned outside of diablo pvp fans.

Meanwhile SC is considered a national sport in Korea.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]