Diablo® III

Improvements to Meteor

Listen, I don't pretend to be an expert Wizard or too knowledgeable about the builds that are out there, however I've experimented enough with the class (have a Paragon 60+ Wiz) to come to the conclusion that Meteor could use some improvement (almost never see the skill used at higher MP levels at all so I think it's safe the say the skill ain't too popular).

My ideas:

1. If it doesn't already, give Meteor's afterburn effect the chance to inflict critical hits; I don't believe it currently does but if I'm wrong, apologies. This would greatly benefit gear with Arcane Power on crit.

2. Increase the Area of Effect by about 5 yards at least, with analogous buffs to all runes.

3. Just buff the damn damage (up to 300% wep damage for vanilla skill, at least).

Those are my preliminary ideas for improvement, your thoughts?
Reply Quote
1. It does. The molten ground procs apoc due to crits.

2 and 3 are not as important as reducing the cost of meteors, which is crucial to a spammable skill.

if meteors cost 30 AP to cast instead of the 50 now it would be OP

check my liquefy full clear vid of FOM here : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10160426369
Edited by Void#1872 on 10/19/2013 7:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
(almost never see the skill used at higher MP levels at all so I think it's safe the say the skill ain't too popular).
Lol, then you don't follow what a lot of the wizard community has been doing. It's actually considered an effective Tier 2 build, like Sleet Storm. Both builds are just behind in effectiveness compared to SNS and Archon builds. Actually, I did some DPS testing on Kulle ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/10103280552 ), and like Void shows in his farming video, Meteor outpaces the effective damage dealt by SNS. Now SNS is still quite a bit better because of more defense and sustain, but Meteor is undeniably competitive. :) And according to diablo.somepage which monitors all wizards with a Blizzard profile (http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/wizard ), about 10% of wizards use Meteor! That's a pretty sizeable number.

As far as changes, Meteor is a pretty competitive skill. Though I'd love to see either the cost of Meteor or proc rate of Meteor tweaked. And according to the data mining that's been done for the next patch, Blizzard is toying with reducing the cost of Meteor by 10. ^_^
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 10/19/2013 7:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There are skills which would benefit from some love, but Meteor is pretty far down my list. Wave of Force, Hydra, Blizzard, Mirror Image, Magic Missile, Arcane Orb are all worse or much worse than Meteor. And don't even get me started on some of the passives. :(
Reply Quote
10/19/2013 07:15 PMPosted by TekkZero
As far as changes, Meteor is a pretty competitive skill

Tekk!! The first rule!!! :>
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 06:52 PMPosted by Ryoka
As far as changes, Meteor is a pretty competitive skill

Well, it is pretty competitive and fun, or else people like you and me wouldn't be using them! :lol I would love to see Meteor tweaked, but I'm in agreement with mzy that his list of spells need a much bigger face-lift. Some wizards spells are practically unusable right now.
Reply Quote
Blizzard is toying with reducing the cost of Meteor by 10.

Casting cost IS the major problem with Meteor, so that doesn't surprise me. That, and AoE is somewhat low compared to skills like Blizzard, Torrent, Disintegrate, Nado, and Archon.

Meteor builds (just from my own experimentation) just need a lot more specialized equipment (tons of AP on Crit, reduced cost mods, and even skills devoted to Arcane regeneration) to function to the point where you can cast meteor nearly constantly.

Granted, being able to do that is HELLA fun, but it's tougher to get to that point gear-wize than other builds that have just as high DPS and higher AoE (or more party benefits/defensive abilities).

Yes, it's VIABLE, but could use an improvement. (Oh, and don't get me started on how annoying it is to hit enemies like Kulle and A3 KW who are constantly moving around with Meteor). Nothing more frustrating than using the Wizard's most expensive attack skill and missing with it half the time.
Edited by TheRaven#1561 on 10/20/2013 8:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 07:19 PMPosted by TekkZero

Well, it is pretty competitive and fun, or else people like you and me wouldn't be using them! :lol I would love to see Meteor tweaked, but I'm in agreement with mzy that his list of spells need a much bigger face-lift. Some wizards spells are practically unusable right now.

It was a sarcastic in-house joke...a rational response sorta killed it :>
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 08:55 PMPosted by TheRaven
Blizzard is toying with reducing the cost of Meteor by 10.

Casting cost IS the major problem with Meteor, so that doesn't surprise me. That, and AoE is somewhat low compared to skills like Blizzard, Torrent, Disintegrate, Nado, and Archon.

Meteor builds (just from my own experimentation) just need a lot more specialized equipment (tons of AP on Crit, reduced cost mods, and even skills devoted to Arcane regeneration) to function to the point where you can cast meteor nearly constantly.
Tbh, that's what I think most wizard skills should be. Spamming spells non-stop should require specialized gear. :) As far as the AOE, actually Meteor is on the upper end, and it's one of Meteor's desirable traits. The AOE is much larger than the Energy Twister and Arcane Torrent (almost 2x).

It was a sarcastic in-house joke...a rational response sorta killed it :>
Lol, sorry bout that. I think my frustrating discussions with Aimless recently have left me super-analytical.

Let's see if I can do this... METEORS SUCK. EVERY WIZARD SPELL IS BETTER!!! METEOR NEEDS MASSIVE BUFFS
How's that? :p
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 06:40 AMPosted by TekkZero
Let's see if I can do this... METEORS SUCK. EVERY WIZARD SPELL IS BETTER!!! METEOR NEEDS MASSIVE BUFFS

About bloody time you realised this, Tekk. You are one of my favourite players on this forum but you are a little thick headed about this... good to see you've finally realised that Meteor still has massive gaping holes in it's viability in anything about MP7.
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 06:47 AMPosted by MrDuMa

About bloody time you realised this, Tekk. You are one of my favourite players on this forum but you are a little thick headed about this... good to see you've finally realised that Meteor still has massive gaping holes in it's viability in anything about MP7.
*must resist saying something rational in meteor's defense* :p

I've got a question though... How can you live in self-delusions about Meteor's mediocrity? I'm having great emotional turmoil about the matter, and my physical symptoms include tears of fire and quaking tremors. I think I need some help. ;)
Reply Quote
PieHole
That'd be me. That's for bringing those memories back mrduma. 1.2M instead of 1.2B. Three zeroes makes a difference. Did that twice.

I can understand missing one zero... but three?! ... twice?!?! Lay off the crack, mate.

You need some of the stuff PieHole is on.
Edited by MrDuMa#1541 on 10/21/2013 6:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 06:53 AMPosted by TekkZero
symptoms include tears of fire and quaking tremors.

Sounds perfectly healthy to me ; )
Reply Quote
There are some promising improvements coming for meteor in the next patch/RoS and some less than impressive ones too.

-A cut in costs down to 40 APoC is great. You could argue that maybe it's still a little too high but I'll take it. Meteor can be run pretty smoothly right now with 30 APoC and a -5 reduction so 10 less casting cost should be a good thing.

-Lightning Bind (the new Liquefy) is looking very, very good. Damage is the same but its packing a straight-up stun on hit. I foresee it being a go-to rune and lots of builds making use of it.

-Comet getting a % chance to freeze is welcome, although we will see just how effective it turns out to be. I've always found it to be lackluster and while this helps, I'm still not convinced on the rune.

-There is no real change to Star Pact except a further cost cut. It looks even less appealing now that it did before.

-Meteor Shower is getting no love at all. I generally think that meteor should get a bump in damage (across all runes, maybe something like 325% - 390% base) and a corresponding bump from 104% per meteor in Shower would have really made the rune shine. The legendary with homing meteors could make this rune incredible though.

-The new Molten Impact (the 2nd re-design, not the original Pulsar) looks absolutely terrible right now. I was excited about Pulsar despite the long cooldown not just because of the big damage on hit but because it was packing a good strong 6s DoT. This Molten redux throws that out the window and leaves you simply with a long cooldown bomb that is mostly frontloaded damage. The current MI rune is superior, in my opinion. They should have just doubled the damage or something and I'd have been plenty happy but currently Molten Impact's usefulness seems to be coming to an end.

Overall, it's good that they are making some positive changes to Meteor. The real test will be what, if anything, they do to proc coefficients on the runes. If they stay the same or go up, Meteor builds should see a nice boost. If they cut them anymore, the skill is going to stay a niche build.

-dolynick
Reply Quote
@MrDuMa, FL0Maxx: Hahaha, now I feel much better! :p
@Dolynick: Exactly! I think a lot of the future of Meteor depends on any changes to the proc coefficients. Tbh, the one rune I really wish they'd modify heavily is Star Pact. It's the only Meteor rune that I have a hard time saying a lot of good about, since it pales against the others. And multiple runes of Arcane Torrent are simply superior to Star Pact. I think Star Pact needs a bit more than just a simple cost reduction, or at least for the proc coefficient to be raised to 0.125.
Reply Quote
Dolynick
Lightning Bind (the new Liquefy)...being a go-to rune and lots of builds

Thats what I'm afraid of.

Blizzard's philosophy of build diversity kills any go-to skill. When WW was the go-to, it got nerfed. Then Storm Chaser was the go-to and that was nerfed as well.

Dont get me wrong, I love the concept (both mechanically and flavor) of Lightning Bind (henceforth LB), but we dont want it to stand too far out either, or else it get hit with that infamous nerf hammer :<
Edited by Ryoka#1646 on 10/21/2013 6:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thats what I'm afraid of.Blizzard's philosophy of build diversity kills any go-to skill. When WW was the go-to, it got nerfed. Then Storm Chaser was the go-to and that was nerfed as well.Dont get me wrong, I love the concept (both mechanically and flavor) of Lightning Bind (henceforth LB), but we dont want it to stand too far out either, or else it get hit with that infamous nerf hammer :<

That looks like a valid concern right now. I made sure to point out the lackluster changes to the other runes because of that. Hopefully Blizzard is reading and choses to do some more tweaking on the other runes instead of nerfing LB instead.

-dolynick
Reply Quote
Thats what I'm afraid of.Blizzard's philosophy of build diversity kills any go-to skill. When WW was the go-to, it got nerfed. Then Storm Chaser was the go-to and that was nerfed as well.Dont get me wrong, I love the concept (both mechanically and flavor) of Lightning Bind (henceforth LB), but we dont want it to stand too far out either, or else it get hit with that infamous nerf hammer :<

That looks like a valid concern right now. I made sure to point out the lackluster changes to the other runes because of that. Hopefully Blizzard is reading and choses to do some more tweaking on the other runes instead of nerfing LB instead.

-dolynick

I'm not greedy. I just wanted Pulsar.

The 24sec cool down was more than enough to offset the 4,780% damage. I mean, 24 secs is like an uber fight man.

Blizz if you're reading this, please change Starpact into a Meteor that explodes into a Phoenix. Flavorwise, the wizard, being a conjurer of elements, should have some sort of follower of the elements.

Barb has a team of ancients, DH has assorted animals, WD has assorted dead animals, Monk has Mystic Ally....why does wiz have no follower?
Reply Quote
View profile

Barb has a team of ancients, DH has assorted animals, WD has assorted dead animals, Monk has Mystic Ally....why does wiz have no follower?

Familiar?
Reply Quote
View profile
I would PERSONALLY like to see a huge boost to the damage of meteor and a return to the original delay (maybe with a rune that has the short delay on it.)

Or perhaps just one big damage dealing rune that has a delay (they could even make the delay bigger than the original delay if the damage was commensurate.)

I think Meteor should do more damage than Wave of Light, for instance, or at least comparable (they both cost half your resource pool.)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]