Diablo® III

Hit% gone? Why?

So I accually just realised this for the first time lol...mainly because its been a long while since I played Diablo 1/2. I recall working towards a hit% added a difficulty and challenge to the game, and another stat to work towards. When I think of it now, you hit 100% of the time which feels sort of easy in a sense...plus like i said, it adds another spec to focus on aside from CC,CD,AR,Main,vit.

So yes, I ask you Blizzard, why did you take this out of the game when it was part of Diablo 1 and 2.
Reply Quote
The 95% chance to hit did exist in D2. Spells required no dexterity. Check any sorc or hammerdin setup.

It also required deep mathematics understanding to see the difference between 1000 dmg at 40% chance to hit and 750 dmg at 80%. Dev team don't want to risk their customers having an aneurysm or something. "Leave no one behind" policy.
Reply Quote
Seems to me they just removed it just to make the game even simpler...I dont know, sometimes I felt this game was built around people who didnt play the original series.
Reply Quote
I'm not entirely convinced it's a simplicity thing. It's more an issue of the responsiveness of combat.

The Elder Scrolls did the same thing. In Morrowind, you could swing directly at an enemy's face over and over without actually landing a hit. In Diablo 2 you could do the same thing and miss repeatedly (unless you were a higher level than the target). It's a case of balancing interesting RPG stats versus satisfying combat. Taking a big swing at a monster only to hear a "swish" and nothing happening does not make for satisfying combat, but having to balance the attack rating stat makes for satisfying theorycrafting.

Blizzard just went for more satisfying combat.
Reply Quote
I can understand the reason for removing it.
It is a very random stat. Missing 10 times in a row can be annoying, maybe even deadly, and without much you could do to prevent it.
If they wanted a game with more involving combat, more skill-based causality between cause and effect, then removing hit chance makes sense.
Reply Quote
I will admit at times it was frusterating to miss a target 1 or 2 and even 3 times in a row, but I just felt it added another challenge I needed to overcome in the game, and a stat to work towards. It may add satisfying combat for players, but I feel it also takes away a challenge that we used to fight to overcome back in the day.
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 02:05 PMPosted by Nicator
"Leave no one behind" policy.

Lol, I like this. It kinda puts the game into perspective. Higher intellect theory crafters have to slow down in order to accommodate the more 'casual' players because Blizzard didnt want anyone feeling too stupid to play.

lol
Reply Quote
I stand by the notion that it's gone because it fundamentally didn't make sense.

"DUDE I SAW THE ARROW GO RIGHT THROUGH YOUR BODY AND IT MANAGED TO MISS!!!!"
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 02:34 PMPosted by HeavyDuty
I will admit at times it was frusterating to miss a target 1 or 2 and even 3 times in a row, but I just felt it added another challenge I needed to overcome in the game, and a stat to work towards. It may add satisfying combat for players, but I feel it also takes away a challenge that we used to fight to overcome back in the day.

And it's part of the mechanics that make LS so overpowering... If my HoTA missed 25% of the time i would be forced to move out of some combination of affixes... but right now I know I'm getting healed by a constant string of crits doing around 1million damage each...
Reply Quote
I stand by the notion that it's gone because it fundamentally didn't make sense.

I dunno man, it worked for Diablo 1 and 2 for all the years players played it. For an arrow going through an enemy, its a video game...alot of stuff doesnt make sense lol.

And as for your post Shango, you have a point there.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter

Lol, agree. I experience this a lot playing PoE. There's nothing so frustrating as standing nose to nose with mob and still miss.
Reply Quote
I never was a fan of the hit/miss calculations of D2. It felt too much like a second edition Dungeon and Dragons setup. You could build so much armor, but in the end, it was no more than a "dodge" scenario. I much prefer the hit/mitigation setup in D3.

This is, of course, my opinion. But I really disliked hit ratings and the way armor interacted with them in D2.
Reply Quote
attack rating, or hit% made no fundamental sense. you cannot possibly miss at a melee range. at best, you'd fumble the hit. but you can miss ranged attacks. i wish there was a hit rating for ranged attacks, and none for melee.
Reply Quote
Because it's dumb!!! Ugh I really can't believe people keep asking for all the worst parts of the game. If you want a challenge go play hardcore. No one wants attack rating, prerequisites, more death penalties, stamina potions, or any other pointless stuff. Just STOP ASKING for them!
Reply Quote
Attack rating was stacked against "Melee" Characters. While my newly Zealadin was struggling against demons on Hell (Missing Attacks, diminishing life and mana leech, needing resist, armor, blocking %, etc), the Sorc would just Teleport all around with "Insight" while wearing magic find... or the Summon Necro walking with 100% magic find with his army of undead minions...
Reply Quote
You guys seem to be getting mixed with others posts. This isnt a forums based off love from diablo 2, as much as I mentioned the game as a series, Diablo 1 and 2. Diablo 3 is part 3 of a series, and im simply wondering why a part of the original games was taken out.

People need to chill...
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 03:14 PMPosted by Zeyta
Because it's dumb!!! Ugh I really can't believe people keep asking for all the worst parts of the game. If you want a challenge go play hardcore. No one wants attack rating, prerequisites, more death penalties, stamina potions, or any other pointless stuff. Just STOP ASKING for them!

Everyone has different opinion dude, these things you mentioned were part of the original games that made diablo 1 and 2. They were not pointless stuff, they added challenge to the game in core mode that people liked and disliked. Some people, myself included, find taking some of these things out makes the game out to be to simple minded. Heck, the game currently is pretty much just about dps numbers...

Also, you state "No one wants", the things you mentioned, yet I see plenty off people who do...:S. So once again, its just based off opinions.
Edited by HeavyDuty#1473 on 10/20/2013 3:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm with zeyta
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]