Diablo® III

Auction House Removal?

85 Dwarf Hunter
I hear for the expansion auction house is gone? If so, will this game be worth returning to? Seems the dumbest part of D3 was the AH in which you never "earned" any of your gear, you sipmly bought it...and it just made d3 not d3 any more....just a mindless grind for gear to sell.

If this is true and Im understanding it correctly please inform...though I imagine it's quite a while before that exp is released?
Reply Quote
If your ok with no skill points, the entire game still being loot and gear based, the incapability of making custom builds and simple game mechanics, and your only issue was the AH, yeah. But I would wait for the actual removal of the AH first. Since its still up, the game hasnt changed.
Reply Quote
I hear for the expansion auction house is gone? If so, will this game be worth returning to? Seems the dumbest part of D3 was the AH in which you never "earned" any of your gear, you sipmly bought it...and it just made d3 not d3 any more....just a mindless grind for gear to sell.

If this is true and Im understanding it correctly please inform...though I imagine it's quite a while before that exp is released?

If you take the OPPOSITE; that a game's worth is determined by being loyal to AH's, then it won't be 100% worth returning to. There are a good number of other games that are P2W. People can try those.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
Diablo was always a gear grind, and it makes it completely irrelevant when you can just purchase the top 0.1% gear from the AH from a base of a million+ players. That defeates the very essence and purpose of Diablo game play from diablo 1 and diablo 2.

Then they have to balance the game around HAVING that top 0.1% of gear, which without the AH would be nearly impossible for people to get. As it was, most of us quit way early in the game once we realized how ridiculous and unfun it was. We never 'grinded' for drops for our own upgrades, we simply grinded gear to earn gold to buy an upgrade...stupid stupid. Esp in a game without pvp it ruined the entire theme of Diablo.
Reply Quote
This thread is about PvP im so lost now.
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 04:45 PMPosted by Elbryon
Seems the dumbest part of D3 was the AH in which you never "earned" any of your gear, you sipmly bought it...and it just made d3 not d3 any more....just a mindless grind for gear to sell.

The only time you "bought" anything was if you used the RMAH. If you used the AH you usually used a currency that dropped in game, ie gold or items you traded for currency that dropped in game, ie gold. Unless you bought your gold in the RMAH this is no different than using SoJs, pgems or runes in D2.
Edited by TheNix#6417 on 10/20/2013 5:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 04:59 PMPosted by Elbryon
As it was, most of us quit way early in the game once we realized how ridiculous and unfun it was. We never 'grinded' for drops for our own upgrades, we simply grinded gear to earn gold to buy an upgrade...stupid stupid.

Yeah, you did this because the AH was the only place you can reasonably find gear for an upgrade. The impact of the presence of the AH in the way it was made is debatable. Maybe they set up a system that is a bit too easy to use. Maybe the fact that it is completely separate from the game and an impersonal program is a problem... that is definitely debatable.

What is not debatable is the fact that drops in game are awful. So bad that you are forced to rely on the AH because the drops are so gawdawful even low to mid tear players might be farming for months (or years!!!) before ever getting an upgrade. If bliz were to fix this the specter of the evil AH starts to diminish.

Blaming the AH on bliz's development of a crappy loot system is kind of dumb. What people should be asking for are ways to diminish it's impact....and making the AH more part of the game and interactive. Maybe having up front posting fees. Requirements to be online. Allowing buyers to see sellers who they buy from and sell to. Maybe set up storefronts for players to auction, trade, buy and sell all in the same place? Let ppl see who they sell to. There is so much about the AH that is hidden behind the scenes that it prohibits players from helping blizzard in policing the site.

Anyways, removing the AH totally is dumb. All it really helps are scammers and offsite gold sellers. Why would you want to help them?
Edited by adm0ni#1887 on 10/20/2013 6:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Blaming the AH on bliz's development of a crappy loot system is kind of dumb. What people should be asking for are ways to diminish it's impact....and making the AH more part of the game and interactive. There are ways to limit the impact of the AH. Up front posting fees. Requirements to be online. Allowing buyers to see sellers who they buy from and sell to. Maybe set up storefronts for players to auction, trade, buy and sell all in the same place? Let ppl see who they sell to. There is so much about the AH that is hidden behind the scenes that it prohibits players from helping blizzard in policing the site.

tldr: Removing the AH totally is dumb. All it really helps are scammers and offsite gold sellers.

How does it help offsite gold sellers if they're already selling gold cheaper than the RMAH? Also, if you get scammed, you really have to blame yourself as much as the scammer. I got scammed once in D2. I was too trusting. I have not been scammed since.

What you don't understand is that the loot system IS really based on the fact that there is an auction house. Bashiok said so himself. That you can't have a system where millions upon millions of players can freely trade items with each other at an instant and have a drop system that's rewarding. What you'll end up having are millions of people who are all geared up after a month.

So, to combat the ultimate convenience, they had to make the game unrewarding on an individual basis.

They wanted you to use the auction house.

That being said, even though it IS a good reason, their reasoning behind removing the AH isn't to allow players to farm for their gear and be rewarded more on an individual basis. It's because the auction houses, especially with the link to real money, is a hassle and a liability.
Edited by Yura#2182 on 10/20/2013 6:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What you don't understand is that the loot system is based on the fact that there is an auction house. Bashiok said so himself.

That is the problem with the implementation of the game, not the AH.

Bad drop rates = cause
AH problems = symptom
Reply Quote
Well, with both loot 2.0 and the removal of the AH, they are hopefully fixing both. I just wish the game wasnt so loot/gear based, and that skills actually meant something.
Reply Quote
What you don't understand is that the loot system is based on the fact that there is an auction house. Bashiok said so himself. That you can't have a system where millions upon millions of players can freely trade items with each other at an instant and have a drop system that's rewarding. What you'll end up having is millions of people who are all geared up after a month.

The situation is quite clear. The made a horrible drop system. And you and they blame it on the AH.

The argument:

- there is an AH
- to limit the impact of the AH they intentionally make drop rates horrible
- horrible drop rates force people to use AH because they can't find upgrades in game
- profit!!!

Why would they be so stupid as to create a system where drops are tailored in such a way to force people to use exclusively the system they are trying to prevent people from using exclusively?

The whole argument is insane.
Edited by adm0ni#1887 on 10/20/2013 6:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 06:20 PMPosted by TheNix
What you don't understand is that the loot system is based on the fact that there is an auction house. Bashiok said so himself.

That is the problem with the implementation of the game, not the AH.

Bad drop rates = cause
AH problems = symptom

I think you missed the point.

They had the auction house in mind when creating the game. It's not like they created the game, let people play it and realized that loot was horrible and then create an auction house to fix said problem.

What happened was they balanced the game on the fact that the auction house is present. It was designed that way. If it were designed as if the auction houses weren't there AND you had the auction houses, it would have made great gear far, far too easy to obtain.
Edited by Yura#2182 on 10/20/2013 6:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 06:25 PMPosted by adm0ni
What you don't understand is that the loot system is based on the fact that there is an auction house. Bashiok said so himself. That you can't have a system where millions upon millions of players can freely trade items with each other at an instant and have a drop system that's rewarding. What you'll end up having is millions of people who are all geared up after a month.

The situation is quite clear. The made a horrible drop system. And you and they blame it on the AH.

The argument:

- there is an AH
- to limit the impact of the AH they intentionally make drop rates horrible
- horrible drop rates force people to use AH because they can't find upgrades in game
- profit!!!

Why would they be so stupid as to create a system where drops are tailored in such a way to force people to use exclusively the system they are trying to prevent people from using exclusively?

The whole argument is insane.

Because they were never for preventing players from using the auction house. It was only recently that they changed their stance. They were always for players using the auction house.
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 06:31 PMPosted by Yura
They were always for players using the auction house.

So what? Using the AH is not the problem.
Reply Quote
The problem is the game is way to dependent on gear and skills are worthless.
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 06:29 PMPosted by Yura
They had the auction house in mind when creating the game. It's not like they created the game, let people play it and realized that loot was horrible and then create an auction house to fix said problem.

Well they screwed up big time then! Did any of the developers ever actually play D1 or D2?
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 06:40 PMPosted by TheNix

Well they screwed up big time then! Did any of the developers ever actually play D1 or D2?

Doubt it. They seem alot more like WoW players, not Diablo Players.
Reply Quote
They were always for players using the auction house.

So what? Using the AH is not the problem.

But it is.

If the auction house weren't there, the ability to reward players more on an individual basis would be, without the problem of gear being astronomically abundant, as it is with the auction house system.

So, as long as we have a centralized trading system, where millions of players can trade with millions of players at an instant, you will always have an unrewarding system. Reduce the size of trading pools, increase the reward to players.

Sounds like a good trade to me. I like actually playing the game to progress, rather than the options I have now:

A) Buy my progression.
B) Sell millions of garbage items in order to save up for one high end item.
C) Hope to god that you win the item lottery and snag a valuable drop worth billions.

All of those situations are not fun to me and I'm assuming, not fun to most people.

D2 was decent. Usually during a ladder season, I could get a couple really powerful characters. They may or may not be BiS depending on how lucky I was or my ability to trade, but I usually had all of the best items for at least one or two characters.

It shouldn't be an item lottery to just find some decent items that make the content relatively easy. Diablo is all about making your characters more and more powerful, to the point where the hardest content is trivial. As it stands now, if you don't play the AH, break open the wallet or spend roughly 3,000+ hours WITH a good amount of luck, you never truly build a powerful character.

That's unreasonable.
Edited by Yura#2182 on 10/20/2013 7:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]