Diablo® III

Auction House Removal?

10/20/2013 06:40 PMPosted by TheNix
They had the auction house in mind when creating the game. It's not like they created the game, let people play it and realized that loot was horrible and then create an auction house to fix said problem.

Well they screwed up big time then! Did any of the developers ever actually play D1 or D2?

That's actually a good question. I imagine they did, but they all had nothing to do with the development of D1 and D2 and probably did work on early WoW. It's an educated guess.
Reply Quote
AH = more profit.
Reply Quote
So, as long as we have a centralized trading system, where millions of players can trade with millions of players at an instant, you will always have an unrewarding system. Reduce the size of trading pools, increase the reward to players.

I believe your assertion fails here. Yes decreasing the trading pool will reduce how quickly people can gear up by trading. It won't make much of a difference though, and I believe this hurts casual players the most.

Think about this. We are still going to be gearing up along a gear curve. It seems like rolls will be tighter, there will be more diverse items, less random which are all good things. Still though, at some point upgrades will become far and few in between, and people will need to turn to trading if they hope to realistically continue gearing up. And you're still going to see the same outrageous prices. And once people start hitting that point, the same complaints are going to rise up. "I can't gear myself up. I can't sell anything." This is because gear is relative. The inclusion of the AH or not will not change that.

So, with Blizz adding in better itemization and legitimate ways for you to gear yourself up to a reasonable level, why not leave the AH in? Even if you think the AH will allow people to rapidly gear up, why not make modifications to it?

For example (I saw another poster use this example a while ago so I'm not being original here) If the AH fee was 100% no one would use it. That means that between the current 15% and 100%, there is some optimum fee % that would diminish use of the AH, while still allowing people to use it.

The biggest reason people will see the AH as a success is psychological. You're still going to be dealing with the same problems of your gear being worthless after the market has saturated, but you're not going to have a centralized marketplace to compare too.

My worry with the AH gone is that now I, as a casual player, have to go to an external site and do a good amount of research to figure out the market price of items I'm trying to buy so I don't get ripped off, as well as spending hoooooouurs in chat channels or trade games trying to find the specific item I'm looking for. Not fun imo.
Edited by Martimus#1266 on 10/21/2013 12:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I hear for the expansion auction house is gone? If so, will this game be worth returning to? Seems the dumbest part of D3 was the AH in which you never "earned" any of your gear, you sipmly bought it...and it just made d3 not d3 any more....just a mindless grind for gear to sell.

If this is true and Im understanding it correctly please inform...though I imagine it's quite a while before that exp is released?

If you have a lot of time and patience, you should give ROS a try. If you are a Casual and don't, then I believe there are better games out there.

Problem is, with the AH removal you wont be able to get good gear unless you sit in chat channels all day or go to third party websites.

Don't listen to people that think without an AH legendary items would rain from the sky, that wont happen.
Reply Quote
But it is.

If the auction house weren't there, the ability to reward players more on an individual basis would be, without the problem of gear being astronomically abundant, as it is with the auction house system.

So, as long as we have a centralized trading system, where millions of players can trade with millions of players at an instant, you will always have an unrewarding system. Reduce the size of trading pools, increase the reward to players.

Sounds like a good trade to me.

The two things you are trying to connect together are not related.

Again, the fact that I cannot gear or upgrade any of my characters farming in game has zero to do with the AH. The fact that devs made a poor decision to link gear finding in game to availability in the AH has nothing to do with the AH, it's just a dumb decision on the devs that they need to fix.

There is plenty that can be done to make the AH more of an in-game experience while limiting it's impact and limiting any floods of equipment to the site. Devs just need to use their noodles. I am sure there are any number of ways: entice players to recycle their low-medium tear gear with better chances to gain high level gems or crafting mats in salvaging; AH posting fees; chances to earn better rolls before salvaging (as the blacksmith was about to melt down 'item xxx' he wiped the smudge away and noticed the item may be of higher quality than suspected, "Are you sure you want to salvage this?"); etc.

Just taking the AH away and making it harder (and riskier) on the average player to trade their high quality loot is a decision just a poor as the one to link drops to the AH to begin with.

It's not like it will solve any complaints. Trolls will still troll. Botters will still bot only now they'll have more control than ever on buying and selling. The jealous and the hand-wringers will still moan about how unfair it is that the 'elite' players have found better gear than them.
Edited by adm0ni#1887 on 10/21/2013 4:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Bad drop rates = cause
AH problems = symptom

That's like saying:

Death= cause
Terminal cancer= symptom.
Reply Quote
Bad drop rates = cause
AH problems = symptom

That's like saying:

Death= cause
Terminal cancer= symptom.

Lol, only in your twisted reality.
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 04:38 AMPosted by TheNix
Lol, only in your twisted reality.

What?
Reply Quote
View profile
I would say just look at some of the responses and wait till Blizzcon and see for yourself if you would like to play this game again. It is still your decision to play or not to play. Do not let others tell you what to do, only look for a little advise but nothing more than that. Otherwise you become the puppet of others, without any choices that are your very own. Or any feelings, opinions, etc... that would be your very own.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]