Diablo® III

-off topic- Sony announces PS4 price...

... in Brazil.
I was so looking forward to buying this console. But ya, brazilians will have to pay roughtly 2,000 USD (BRL 4,000) for it over here. The XONE will actually be considerably cheaper (contrary to what will be in the US market) at roughly USD 1,100.

On another interesting note: Chevy Camaro SS 6.2 liter V8 automatic transmission. I think you can get this car in the US for like 38k USD. In Brazil: 100k USD. How cool is that? We drive terrible and overpriced cars. If you drive a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder Honda Civic in Brazil you're like... very fortunate. And also had to pay close to 40k USD for it.

Also, cel phone bills and internet service are among the most expensive in the world while providing one of the worst possible services.

I'm not feeling very patriotic right now I tell ya.

/rant
Reply Quote
I imagine the main difference in the costs are in import taxes. The gov't is making bank off purchases you are going to make. It happens here too. Decent Honda in US is 30k. Same car in Japan is maybe half that in US dollars. Sounds like they really cranked up the taxes in Brazil. I'm sure there are programs that need to be covered there. I assume a lot of impoverished areas? It's all relative. I just can't believe that many, if any, could afford those things at that rate.
Reply Quote
I hear this all the time when it comes to computer parts in South America as well.

10/17/2013 07:05 AMPosted by Lycinia
I just can't believe that many, if any, could afford those things at that rate.

They can't.
Reply Quote
about the car market I don't think it is only the import taxes, because even the cars made here in Brazil are more expensive here than in Argentina, I think it is more of a market inneficiency thing, collusion and stuff. A lot of cars factories move here because they make more profit. I don't think the government is interested in fighting this type of behavour either, they even give subsidies to the car industrie. I don't know but the government is really close to the workers at the metalurgic and the car industries.

As for the eletronics i guess it is the taxes, they won't lower them if the US government for example doesn't lower the subsidies to agriculture, quotas , import taxes on agricultural stuff too.
Reply Quote
Import taxes play a major role, but not everything. With taxes alone, imported hardware would cost about 80% more in Brazil. Thus XONE price being reasonable, even though still expensive for us.

It is estimated that Sony will lose USD 60 for each PS4 sold in the US. I think they're trying to make up for it in other markets. But at that price, I can honestly say I do not know anyone that would be willing to pay that much. Heck, I'm not even sure I can convince my wife of such acquisition.

I may have to consider XONE for my next gen fix, but I don't trust/like Microsoft and that thing has privacy issues. It's like I'm buying big brother and will be concerned even when I have friends over for a gaming session and the content of our talks. Plus I hate the idea of paying a monthly fee for xbox live. I've always been against that sort of thing when it comes to gaming. #1 reason why I never touch games such as WoW.

About car prices and other examples, it boils down to greed and stupid consumers. It has already been proven that car manufacturers in Brazil have the highest profit margins on their operations here than anywhere else in the world. So, we are indeed overcharged, but that is also our fault as consumers. Did you know that over 50% of new cars sold in Brazil are small 1.0 liter 4 cylinder engine shoe boxes? And the average price for those is around 15,000 USD.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]