Diablo® III

Why do we use meteors? Seriously.

Posted by Eciton
So while I agree that it is silly to tell people not to use a build if it is not as efficient as another (for a particular situation), i think its valuable to compare numbers and talk and efficiency/ effectiveness.

... he said to the only one using real numbers in his argument.

Which is precisely why I was so surprised to see it! It struck me as odd that after all the numbers, he still said what i thought to mean "what ever you think is fun" > else. I understand now that was not what he was saying :)
Nope, that's not what I was saying. Rather the "different strokes for different people" comes from me commenting that I realize Aim and I weight the numbers differently. And this can heavily skew our conclusions. Aim doesn't care too much about CM, while I want to include it any of my builds. So I tend to favor DoTs (like Energy Twister and Meteor) that allow me to efficiently and smoothly generate procs. It's not enough to generate decent procs, but to make sure that I'm getting a steady, stable stream.

That said, the other part of my disagreement with Aimless is how he's trying to compare Meteor versus Arcane Mines. There is a fundamental disagreement with his treatment of estimating DPS and procs. And in the case of the procs I have no clue where he was going, as the comment "Metoer Procs .06" corresponds to nothing meaningful. If Aim wants to argue numbers with me, at least get them right and treated fairly. :lol Heh, if I get a number wrong, I'm happy for people to correct me. :)

But at the end of the day, you can end up with just having to agree to disagree on what constitutes something effective. I 100% encourage Aimless from quantitatively testing the differences of Meteor and Arcane Mines. But I do oppose pointless tests, like Belial or Ghom, since they tell us little about how well a build will work in practice. Of course we know how they'll turn out, and it's unlikely to change anyone's initial opinions on the matter. So what does it prove, other than waste Aim's time. If Aimless can show that Arcane Mines simply blows SNS, Archon, and Meteor builds out of the water in terms of multi-target and farming situations, then he has a bigger leg to stand on. But that's the proper tests. Most of the time boss fights are pretty rare with the exception of ubers, which appeals to some players and not to others.
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 10/20/2013 7:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I get more out of prismatic armor than crystalize, so I tend to use that. I also stack EHP but there's times where teleport is awesome. Teleport is great for getting away from frozen in a hurry, or getting away from a pack of firechain mobs. You can also combine it with safe passage to give you a nice damage reduction buffer during windup, or to just speed around the zone a bit faster since AM doesn't take a lot of AP. There's also some areas, mostly corridors, where a group of elites can be annoying and trap you. That combined with an aoe effect like frozen, desecrator, or fire chains, can kill you. A simple teleport lets you escape very easily.

For most other things I just use high LS+high mitigation and burn with mines (4.5% LS with 90.5% mitigation, 92% against physical buffed). If I were running group play and didn't have anyone to provide chill, I'd probably convert to ice armor. If I had enough EHP I could run with the aura one, or maybe reactive armor, but I'm not sure which would net me more dps. The higher LS also means I don't care about slowing mobs since I gain a lot of life once the mines are exploding.

I wish I could run electrify instead of BM, but I just love higher LS so I don't kill myself against RD. With 92% mitigation and only 3% LS I would take about 7.5k damage per second from reflected damage, per RD mob, assuming all have RD. That, combined with any mobs hitting me, means I die very fast due to having almost 3.5 mil effective dps.

Like I said before, it's personal preference and that's just how I like doing it, as well as some reasons why. In general I do really like the mines skill itself because it's an easy 5.1x multiplier before any buffs. That allows it to be competitive with other builds and makes it a decent skill to build around. Meteor, by contrast, requires a lot more work to build around due to the high AP cost.
Reply Quote
View profile
Okay it came to me tonight,,, what do y'all think about SBD?

Silent but deadly!

SBD

Why? Well first of all AM's are low profile as all get out in effect and noise, No big boom like meteor. No ground effects. If you're high you wont even notice anything happening. Just monsters dying for some reason. Ask me how i know.

Second it's a three cylibil or unit or letter acronym like SNS and I think nearly as good.

Thoughts?
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 10/20/2013 11:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Loroese dont sweat BM - I got mits and deeps and still prefer it's safety net. Sometimes I go electrify or even Glass cannon too. But seriously compromises survival which i'm not into. With BM and LS weapon I can tank anything it's beautiful... 3 stack anythng is fine long as you're detonating mines.

One thing I LOVE about this build is arcane freeze is no issue. because even if i get frozen mines are detonating whole time while frozen and healing us.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 10/20/2013 11:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Made some changes to build based on what was said here and some testing since the last time.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WehfSX!TgW!abbZcc

It's even better now. Also got a 5 APoC tri for 1mil, and 5 seems to be enough. Only farming FoM+Crypt. Using Buriza also. If necessary, switch to LS weapon for some elites.
Reply Quote
View profile

If you're high
three cylibil

Now it all makes sense.
Reply Quote
View profile
Dont need to know how to spell to dig holes in the ground or play wizard. Plus acholo is posion not weed.

BTW I am human and prone to error. ... You demonstrate the main characteristic of self hate, the desire to hurt others by putting them down just as you were put down ..In your case, you were made to feel stupid, so you project that onto me. Doesnt work.

I died like 3 years ago. And learned everything I had been taught and told was a lie a figment of my imagination, a prison. I am perfect god made me that way. You are too and would see it if you unlearn what was learned.. All it takes is a small donation of ego. So dont bother with me waste of time.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 10/21/2013 9:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Dont need to know how to spell to dig holes in the ground or play wizard. Plus acholo is posion not weed.

BTW I am human and prone to error. ... You demonstrate the main characteristic of self hate, the desire to hurt others by putting them down just as you were put down ..In your case, you were made to feel stupid, so you project that onto me. Doesnt work.

I died like 3 years ago. And learned everything I had been taught and told was a lie a figment of my imagination, a prison. I am perfect god made me that way. You are too and would see it if you unlearn what was learned.. All it takes is a small donation of ego. So dont bother with me waste of time.
Not sure where you're going with this Aim. No need to get defensive with people. None of us hate you (or at least I don't). If anything, I think you need a dose of humility yourself. You have shown yourself unwilling to correct your mistakes, like procs for Meteor which are still wrong. And please prove me wrong, as my ego can take being shown wrong!!! :p

I'm actually surprised, since I had taken you more for a truth seeker. Truth, not as people say it is, but what you're own mind and experience tells you. This is why I tend not to be swayed by any lofty arguments, or go with group think. I think you would have enjoyed the field of basic science, since many of us don't actually give a crap about materialism, and just pursue knowledge and truth for it's own sake. Tbh I'm most interested in this game, whenever I'm in the pursuit of something novel and interesting. Kinda like yoda enjoys the thrill of gearing new characters!!! :)
Edited by TekkZero#1963 on 10/21/2013 9:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Tekkzero, I don't think aimless' comment was directed at you. Just sayin.

And you both are very dear to me and make great points in your threads.

Though I must admit Tekk, the last paragraph of your last post gave the most insight into your mind out of any of your preceding posts to date. You are a most interesting person, my friend :)
Reply Quote
View profile
I wasnt talking to you tekk but guy making fun of my spelling. I see proc differently and explained my reasoning that you are not guaranteed the dot. But I will correct with a narrative.

First I got to dig another hole in the ground working till 8. Naw man school has no interest to me. Making paper then I do what I want the rest of my life. Huge opportunity cost going to school and delays plans.. I already wasted 4 years in HS to make my mom happy.
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 10/21/2013 11:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Melkor:
Tekkzero, I don't think aimless' comment was directed at you. Just sayin.
Quite true! I knew he wasn't directing it to me precisely. Rather I was taking the opportunity to respond to it, since I think it does partially stem from an earlier, and unresolved, disagreement between Aimless and me in this thread. :lol

Melkor:
Though I must admit Tekk, the last paragraph of your last post gave the most insight into your mind out of any of your preceding posts to date. You are a most interesting person, my friend :)
Hahaha, we can be an eccentric bunch in basic science. For me, being a scientist is not just a way of thinking, but also a way of life! :)
Reply Quote
Kinda like yoda enjoys the thrill of gearing n̶e̶w̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶c̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶ his wizard again and again!!! :)

Fixed!
Reply Quote
Aimless:
I wasnt talking to you tekk but guy making fun of my spelling. I see proc differently and explained my reasoning that you are not guaranteed the dot. But I will correct with a narrative.
Right, rather I was taking the opportunity to respond to your post, since I thought it was pretty relevant to our previous discussion.

Naw man school has no interest to me. Making paper then I do what I want the rest of my life.
Hahaha, you and I actually just happen to see the world very differently. If you're finding fulfillment in what you're doing, then you're doing something right!! I'm pursuing exactly what I want to do, and that is studying the brain and what makes us "tick." In another life though, I fancy I would have enjoyed being an explorer, and discovering strange new lands. But alas, since I was born in the 20th Century, I'll just settle for good ole scientific exploration. :)
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 11:17 AMPosted by BDF
Kinda like yoda enjoys the thrill of gearing n̶e̶w̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶c̶t̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶ his wizard again and again!!! :)

Fixed!
Touche! ^_^
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 11:19 AMPosted by TekkZero
what makes us "tick."

And more importantly, how it's affected by APS ;)
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 11:40 AMPosted by apo
what makes us "tick."

And more importantly, how it's affected by APS ;)
Hahaha, I love it. :>
Reply Quote
View profile
10/21/2013 11:19 AMPosted by TekkZero
Aimless:
Right, rather I was taking the opportunity to respond to your post, since I thought it was pretty relevant to our previous discussion.

Naw man school has no interest to me. Making paper then I do what I want the rest of my life.
Hahaha, you and I actually just happen to see the world very differently. If you're finding fulfillment in what you're doing, then you're doing something right!! I'm pursuing exactly what I want to do, and that is studying the brain and what makes us "tick." In another life though, I fancy I would have enjoyed being an explorer, and discovering strange new lands. But alas, since I was born in the 20th Century, I'll just settle for good ole scientific exploration. :)

Good and bad like anything. I really like doing projects. Meeting with new people all the time even though most of my business if word of mouth friend of a friend. Like starting with nothing and leaving a nice swimming pool or water feature. Love sales. Managing people is tough part because no one really wants to work and all their sundry problems but I'm learning. Paperwork is the real killer and what I dread. I fill out so many forms every month it's ridiculous lucky a ayroll service does most of the nitty gritty.. u know how i am about numbers...good way to get in trouble with tax man lol. But really it's all to build capital to become a restaurateur. Franchises. Just plug in capital to a good idea even though I have some of my own - I like proven concepts. You own 5-6 Burger Kings is like printing money and you sail off in the sunset and sail around the world. Explore at your leisure.:)
Edited by Aimless#1700 on 10/21/2013 3:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]