Diablo® III

Budgeting for RoS

Summary: Best approach for limited funds in the next 6-8 months: Hoarding crafting mats and gems, AH items, or something else?

Papadanko here. I've been cycling through quite a few different ideas for how to manage my "investment portfolio" with the upcoming changes. I know that we don't know everything about what's going to happen, but I want some opinions about how I should approach the run-up to expansion so that I don't get left even further behind than I already am. I usually have about 2 million gold on hand at any given time, play SC, and I'm not SF militant or anything.

Option 1: The Conservative Approach: Don't waste gold on the AH since that stuff may be rendered obsolete, and hoard gold, found gems, and other materials for crafting or trading.

Option 2: The "Gold will now be worthless" argument: Get as much as I can from the AH before it shuts down at all costs (gear and mats).

Option 3: The Meek Shall Inherit: Don't buy anything or go out of your way to obtain anything vanilla-related. Look for a fresh start with RoS.

I missed all of the get-rich-quick things that went on with this game, so I've got a lower middle class set of dudes. I see RoS as a way to get back caught up with the wave of people who play more than I do, and I want to maximize this opportunity. Thanks for your input.
Reply Quote
I think I'm in the same boat as you. I stopped playing last August and am slowly getting back into it and waiting for RoS. I'm just hoarding gold for now, hoarding mats, gems, etc.....the Crusader will become my main. So I'm on the look out for some nice shields and such. However, with a new expansion coming up it's a great opportunity to clean out my stash and just vendor most of the stuff for the gold.
Reply Quote
I'm going to imagine gems might be the trade commodity in the future. I would suggest stockpiling gems of some sort.
Reply Quote
Let me give you my best advice.
Do what you consider fun!
Think about 'now' not 'tomorrow'.
Whether that mean stacking gold and gems or frivolously spending fortunes, just go ahead. Most likely, everything will be fairly worthless later on, so don't hoard for profit, unless you find it fun and like to believe it pays off. It's fun to play games, just do that.
Reply Quote
Ladder = Time investment now is null. :) Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
Let me give you my best advice.
Do what you consider fun!

I tell people the same thing. I have a ton of fun playing this game. I just wonder if its worth it to spend 6 million gold on all of the archon armor plans, for instance.

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I stopped playing last August and am slowly getting back into it and waiting for RoS. I'm just hoarding gold for now, hoarding mats, gems, etc.....the Crusader will become my main.

Wondering if this is how I will also feel. For a while I played almost exclusively wizard, but then I took a 2 month break and when I came back I tried DH and WD and have enjoyed them quite a bit. I think the crusader will fit my play-style quite a bit.
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 08:53 AMPosted by Zalm
I would suggest stockpiling gems of some sort.

Ladder = Time investment now is null. :)

Is it confirmed that there will be new gems? I saw something in Datamined rumors about it.

Same goes for ladder.
Reply Quote
There's gonna be a diamond.
Elite damage in weapon, cooldown reduction in helm and allres in general slot.
Reply Quote
i don't think investment is really a workable outcome it should just be stockpiling for personal use later on buying mass crafting commodities along with any odd upgrade if it gives a resonable improvment in xp per hour to maximise paragon
Reply Quote
This would make a great sequel to D3: Diablo III The Hoarders Wrath......hehe
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 03:10 PMPosted by Slaal
it should just be stockpiling for personal use later on buying mass crafting commodities along with any odd upgrade if it gives a resonable improvment in xp per hour to maximise paragon

that's what I'm getting at. I have quite a bit of mats, but gold is the limiting factor thus far. just wanted to get a feel for what people think will be more important.

has anyone heard anything about gold costs in the expansion? I imagine that's still a moving target.
Reply Quote
I think I feel closest to Option 3. However, how I specifically feel is "What you do now won't mean anything when RoS is released, as you will be able to achieve (in terms of crafting, XP, Items found) in 1 hour what you earn in weeks today.

Gems may be an exception here. If drop rates don't change they will be hard to obtain without the AH.

Fun fact: my gems are self found. I played pretty regularly for over a year, but stopped logging on entirely over the summer. In other words, my gems are the product of about a year of self-found gem crafting.

Edit: I should mention that I am by no means saying my gems are the maximum you could get in a year self found; many people probably have much higher levels than I do.
Edited by Pin#1285 on 10/22/2013 8:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/22/2013 08:33 AMPosted by Pin
Gems may be an exception here. If drop rates don't change they will be hard to obtain without the AH.

agreed. I wonder about tomes and demonic essences.

what would be super awesome would be a horadric cube. no matter what happens with gems, Diamonds will be the commodity. If there were a way to convert one of each color plus an essence to a diamond, whoooo mama!
Reply Quote
Community Manager
There's nothing wrong with trying to maneuver yourself into a more advantageous position for Reaper of Souls, but I feel like I should point out that it's not necessary to enjoy it. However, I like the conservative approach when it comes to preparing for the expansion, and feel like it's a relaxing way to get ready.

I'd like to hear more about how other people are getting ready for RoS. Are you preparing for the expansion? How are you gathering your resources? Do you feel like your method is working well for you?

Thanks for posting this thread, papadanko!
Reply Quote
I really do not worry about RoS. In fact I have taken a bit of a vacation from D3 playing The Secret World and might even do some Path of Exile. I know that I am not good at knowing the true value of gear so flipping is out. I will just sit back and wait for the big pre expansion patch. Now if we get a PTR of the pre expansion patch, I hope we will, then I will definitely play D3 on the PTR to see what it is like.

If I get invited to the beta of RoS then I will definitely start playing again. But until then I will patiently wait for more information on both the pre expansion patch and RoS.
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 08:32 AMPosted by papadanko
I usually have about 2 million gold on hand at any given time, play SC, and I'm not SF militant or anything.

2 million is like 5-7 cents, you should care less about that.

I just read anything new on diablofans and play whenever I want to.
Reply Quote
Items which have extremely under valued because they are missing key stats.

And example will be mara with good rolls but without CC or CD.

Come ROS you will have the option to reroll for that.

SOJs are pretty good too if they cap the trifecta stats.
Reply Quote
I am in the same boat. I've never used the RMAH to buy gold or gear, never flipped anything, and never gotten a 2b item, so I'm pretty much constantly low on gold.

Now it is even worse since I can't seem to sell anything at all! So i'm just gonna play and hoard gems and tomes, even crafting mats are probably going to be useless(?) so I'm just vendoring all the rares I get for gold.
Reply Quote
It seems to be anyone's guess, but I doubt you can go wrong collecting gems. The huge variable right now is what will happen to gold. Are gold drops going to continue to scale, so there are 10k+ gold piles all over? I assume so, since such a great deal of the gold in game is duped, the only way to counter act that is a large release of legitimate gold into the economy, coupled with many gold sinks.

At any rate, I am trying to only collect things which will be useful to me, and assuming that crafting mats will be upgradable to the next tier as they have been in all previous tiers. Keeping in mind, that the game is going to remain pretty much as-is until March 18th.

My first priority though is Paragon levels. Since so many people seem to be trying to unload gear at lower and lower prices, I've picked up a few pieces to increase my rate of leveling. Sure, the pieces will have little value in ROS, but that is a long ways away, with not much to do besides grind until then.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]