Diablo® III

[Guide] - Max EXP/hr in Patch 1.0.8 (solo)

@Druin

Thanks for the detailed reply; that cleared up all my MP level questions. However, I have one more question. You mentioned bonus XP from gear on your follower. However, my scoundrel has an HF ring equipped, but I don't see any bonus for XP in my profile. Is the display bugged or does +XP gear not work on followers?
Only +xp per kill will show in the follower's information. Gear that provides +% xp will not show in the follower information, but it will show a difference in your character's information if you check before and after equipping it on your follower.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Thanks for the detailed reply; that cleared up all my MP level questions. However, I have one more question. You mentioned bonus XP from gear on your follower. However, my scoundrel has an HF ring equipped, but I don't see any bonus for XP in my profile. Is the display bugged or does +XP gear not work on followers?

It does work on followers.

Try this -- unequip your follower's Hellfire Ring, check out your total bonus xp%, equip it, check out total bonus xp% again. It should be exactly 7% higher.

Your follower grants you 20% or 1/5th of his/her adventure stats.
I'm quite sure it was you druin that was looking at the benefits of doing quick runs without stacks vs taking time to kill off elites a while back?

I'm assuming with this guide that the numbers worked out in favor of getting two or three quick stacks in festering before running FoM?
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
I'm quite sure it was you druin that was looking at the benefits of doing quick runs without stacks vs taking time to kill off elites a while back?

I'm assuming with this guide that the numbers worked out in favor of getting two or three quick stacks in festering before running FoM?

Correct!

I have many many many hours of spreadsheet data to back that claim up as well.
Plus, I have a mathematical framework that corroborates the concept.

All in all, getting at least 2 stacks and up to 5 stacks from FoM is better than 0 stacks.
Getting 1 stack from Leoric's manner is worse than getting 0 stacks from it.

Decaying Crypt's 2x auto-stacks are the best because you prime DC at the same time that you get those 2 stacks so it takes ~the same time as it takes to kill elites but you are essentially farming XP while doing it.
View profile
<(^^<)
Reply Quote
OP

If you and Scrapz get more XP doing crypt runs solo than in a group, you guys need better groups. We get much more XP in HC doing MP10 crypt runs. But the groups are usually pretty focused since you can't screw up.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
We get much more XP in HC doing MP10 crypt runs. But the groups are usually pretty focused since you can't screw up.

What does "much more" mean to you?
300++.

If you check the HC forum, you'll note a dedicated thread to crypt runs. We've been doing these runs for months.
Reply Quote
A little different, yet still very similar, from the runs I was using while power-paragon-leveling. Hopefully I'll have some time at some point to compare the efficiency :P

Also spec is hard to say. I've tried way too many specs, including the 'regular' EP/Bells, and many of them just seemed so close that RNG could have easily tilted results either way, lol.
Reply Quote
View profile
Above and beyond as per norm right Druin :D

Enjoyed reading this as well as your other guides. Will run a few this weekend.

Cheers and looking forward to future guides,
CC-
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
300++.

If you check the HC forum, you'll note a dedicated thread to crypt runs. We've been doing these runs for months.

Yup, that is groups for ya!

The most xp/hr possible in the game is 100% a group setting. That being said, I still bet I make a better average xp/hr than most group farmers because I can play whenever I want and I never have to wait on people.

Perhaps you have an amazing set of people who are on 24/7 and are perfectly coordinated. That sounds like far more responsibility than I want though ... so I will take my 80m xp/hr hit and be anti-social! ;)
Hi Druin, to do this efficiently in MP 10 for dual weild monk,

What are the recommended DPS and EHP, weapon, LS, and spirit regen/sec? Thxs.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
Hi Druin, to do this efficiently in MP 10 for dual weild monk,

What are the recommended DPS and EHP, weapon, LS, and spirit regen/sec? Thxs.

150k DPS ideally 2x LS weps 500k eHP (phys-only) 0spir/sec.

The Dual-1h spec uses FoT-Q + lots of IAS to keep your spirit at full, don't need spir/sec items.

<3
Thxs Druin. Will definitely give a shot at this guide tonight :D
Reply Quote
I did one hour of this on MP10, went from PL41 to 44. Think it was 3 full DC and then some FoM at the end.

The pic is definitely working but rng is rng so one of the DC took about 4 games to find. 2 deaths, 1st was a hw issue and the 2nd was totally avoidable.

Looted full inventory of rares including 4 legs and 6 DE, 508k gold+vendor.

Dps with 3% ChC scoundrel PL44

It did feel like there was some spirit issues, despite having infinite TR at my APS level. So maybe Templar isn't such a bad idea.

228510 (1.17APS) +max SoJ
244766 (1.17APS) HF
199332 (1.08APS) HF+Zuni+Leoric's

3767 kills
14 elite packs including the 3 packs of unique elite event

171.42m xp, it seems more than the usual FoM with this char so this must be working.

I should maybe give MP9 a try and then some more on MP10. And then maybe try switching follower if it still seems like it.
Reply Quote
if i you want pure xp fyi dont do the events in FoM besides opening the chest where all the trees spawns

^ not directed at druin

loving the snake method thou from the cem waypoint thou
Edited by baggins#6187 on 10/22/2013 4:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for this ;)

Last week I decided to give my Monk a serious go, at last. Yeah, shame on me :p

Anyway, I´ve copied your build and played around with skills and variations, tested around, getting accustomed to the whole gameplay.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Nubtro-2147/hero/17000879

It really means a lot to me that you write it from a solo-player perspective, which is how I´ve spent most of my time playing this game - although nowadays there´s quite a nice group of individuals on my friends list who paragon level like crazy, but it´s always WD+3 Barbs so I get asked for my Barb only - but I want to have each class at p100 (so far only 4 Barbs).

I´ll be honest and state that I initially didn´t like the whole generator-generator-spender gameplay which seemed edgy after hundreds of hours with the flowing synergy of ww-rltw-opks-rend, but I´m really beginning to enjoy playing my Monk. Palm+Bell are pretty ridiculous skills heh.

I´m actually enjoying D3 more than before now that I regularly switch around my alts to paragon level.

---

As for the build, note that after a bit of testing in Fields of Misery I find Northern Breeze (non-TW) better at gathering masses of monsters because Tailwind is so fast (plus the slow) that the monsters often seem incapable of keeping up with me and stop following me. Basically it feels longer to gather large groups with Tailwind than with the slower Breeze (out of curiosity, what´s the relative movement speed values of TR base/TW?)

Related to this, I actually struggle a bit with areas when the mobs are so slow that they don´t come to me fast - Crypts for example feel a bit sluggish. I admit I haven´t really tried the "prepare level 1 first" before clearing it and the MS bonus from TW is surely more advantageous in there.

Also, I´ll adjust to save up my Overawe for the big bell bang instead of activating it before using Palm (thought it worked like that). I had a bit of trouble surviving in higher MPs (currently run MP8) due to my low resists with Quickening and the daze and AoE aspects of CW are working much better for me.

I wanted to ask what was up with the weird delay of Palm but I guess it´s just how the skill works and you have to get used to it - just leaves you vulnerable to taking damage, but you touched upon that as well.

These were just my first impressions as a Monk greenhorn :)

I´m looking forward to spending more time leveling this character. And again, thanks for the very thorough explanation, I read every bit of it.
Reply Quote
It's a nice build. Ironically this is sort of how I started D2. Prior to the CE nerf.

It's not nearly as good as cleaning the entire screen but the concept is very similar.

It's funny that the Necro of D2 became the Monk for me in D3.

I'm sure you'll find that the speed rune for TR is the one to go with.

Btw could you update the DE challenge score list, thanks.
Reply Quote
Hey guys,

I've just looked at the FOM spawn map and I've come up with a mnemonic (a 'pattern' of sorts) to identifying the FOM waypoint spawns with ease to assist with Crypt hunting. My reference here is the fantastic map Druin posted up earlier:

http://imgur.com/BwCUe5p

There are three 'patches' (representing structures) that will always be present on the minimap when you port into the FOM. One big patch and one small patch that will always be in the same position, and a patch in a variable position. Ignore the big patch.

Now imagine the minimap as a clockface, with your player marker as the clock's centre. If we draw imaginary lines from each small patch to the player's marker, each layout can be read as a clockface. If each waypoint resembles a clockface, the waypoints can be read as such:

WP 1 : 6.20

(WP 1 looks slightly different as it has one extra patch, so if we imagine it as corresponding to a 6.20 position, this fits in a nice pattern with the others)

WP 2 : 7.00

(WP 2 actually has only 2 patches, but I think this works)

WP 3 : 7.05
WP 4 : 7.15

TLDR: Waypoints in the FOM can be determined by the position of the small patches on the minimap. We can determine the exact position of the WP in an easy way if we imagine these patches as corresponding to points on a clockface. The 'later' the time on the 'clockface', the lower the position of the waypoint.

Happy Hunting!
Reply Quote

Related to this, I actually struggle a bit with areas when the mobs are so slow that they don´t come to me fast - Crypts for example feel a bit sluggish. I admit I haven´t really tried the "prepare level 1 first" before clearing it and the MS bonus from TW is surely more advantageous in there.

Also, I´ll adjust to save up my Overawe for the big bell bang instead of activating it before using Palm (thought it worked like that). I had a bit of trouble surviving in higher MPs (currently run MP8) due to my low resists with Quickening and the daze and AoE aspects of CW are working much better for me.

For crypts, try CS instead of TR. If your DPS is high enough, you can try replacing WoL with CS, though that defeats the 1-shot nature of the build. I'm running CS instead on MP9, not as punishing on the rotation as the Druin build, but of course no where as effective.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]