Diablo® III

[Guide] - Max EXP/hr in Patch 1.0.8 (solo)

Insane, just ... i dont have words to describe it...

Give that man a Medal !
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III (Monk)
View profile
10/22/2013 03:27 AMPosted by dominatus
I did one hour of this on MP10, went from PL41 to 44. Think it was 3 full DC and then some FoM at the end.

Hey Dom,

Based on your mobs/hr and amount of loot, I would guess that 170m xp/hr is pretty darn good!

10/22/2013 05:17 AMPosted by dominatus
It's funny that the Necro of D2 became the Monk for me in D3.

I remember first reading Exploding Palm and thinking "well if it isn't Corps Explosion!" and then it sucked so I ignored it forever.

However, I am now a D2 necro for sure! EP = CE, WoL = bonespear, DS = enigma! ;)

———————————————————————————————————————

10/22/2013 05:21 AMPosted by malcontentC
Hey guys,

Hey Malcontent,

I very much like the strategy you have come up with but I can't see how WP 1 = 6:20.

The same island that is representing 6:00 in WP1 is representing 7:00 in WP 2 and it throws me off!
:(

What about WP1 = 4:40?
Then, using the following set of rules you get a working pattern --
1. Ignore the big island
2. Count up to two of the farthest away islands from the center

You end up with --
WP 1 = 4:40
WP 2 = 7:00
WP 3 = 7:05
WP 4 = 7:15

yay! :D

Druin, you are quite a solitary gamer. Quite contrarian given your presence in forums, yet you enjoy solitude and reflection. You are a dichotomy.

Hey Jco,

There are two main reasons for this --

The first is that the things I find fun in gaming have little to do with grouping. I like to test efficiency, make minor changes and record the resulting differences ... make spreadsheets and jam out to music at my own pace. Groups have a totally different aim. With a group you are usually going for either A. social interaction or B. maximized <statline>.

Because my goals are never to get the result from maximization and only to test what leads to the maximized result, actually using the maximized result is pretty non-fun for me. I would rather figure out HOW to get 300m xp/hr than actually grind out paragon levels at 300m xp/hr for example.

Secondly, despite having a relatively pervasive online presence and a job that entails talking with people all day, I am actually an introvert and if I don't have at least a couple hours a day to "recharge" I get SUPER tired. Solo-gaming has always fit the bill really well for "recharge" time.

Based on your history of trolling me I doubt you were looking for a real answer ... but there you go! :D

<3

Druin,
Thanks! Tried this yesterday, moved up a few levels. Have not tried the build change tho, I am using a Nirvana build albeit without really ever going into Nirvana. Even so, my lady monk is less monotonous than leveling my barb, however, he could be lots more fun in DC.

Thanks, I enjoy your posts during downtime at work or waiting in line to pick up my kids.

Hello Heraken,

I am really glad you enjoyed the guide / video!

You have a really strong Nirvana build! I have never really tested it on this run but kudos for putting together that set! :D

You would almost certainly do more total damage if you replaced your EF with a CHD EF with lower DPS ... not that it's terribly important but just a heads up.

Wow...nice job druin.

I linked up you video on my page!

Hey Pie!

Really nice to see you here and thank you for taking the time to check out my guide.

I am not sure what "your page" is but thank you very much for the link! I sincerely appreciate the compliment! :D

10/22/2013 01:33 PMPosted by Wilson
Okay, I managed to get this to work somehow, thought the rotation is not in anyway smooth. Using dual-wield LS and MoE: Backlash. That's the ONLY way I can survive a 30-50 size mob with trees and savage beast to boot.

Hey Wilson,

This is exactly what I would expect to be the case for most monks without relatively top-tier gear.

To OP: Maybe start off with a "beginner skill set" to get used to the large size of the mob pack before jumping to your maximum potential one? Particularly for DWs - Double LS is necessary, even if your DPS drops.

I certainly like the idea here but I am always hesitant to make claims about "beginner" stuff because I have absolutely no idea what it takes to make my spec work.

I try to avoid making claims on subjects that I have no actual experience with.

For all I know, it actually takes my level of gear to make that spec work ... I haven't tested it with ~100m gold suits or anything like that so it's hard for me to draw conclusions about what is required. I have a ballpark # in mind that I tell people but nothing absolute.

Edit: Also using Pillar for now. Due to my fast weapons not dealing enough instant damage. The worse is when the EP mob explodes after it is pushed back. But for DW, the spirit cycle ain't too bad.

This is a really good idea. I will actually throw that tidbit into the guide and credit you if you don't mind. I played around with Pillar and found it to be extremely enjoyable to work with in many situations for exactly that reason but never managed to increased my total efficiency with it because it has a lower chance of 1 shotting the EP mobs instantly.

Let me know if it's cool for me to snag that idea though! :D

Hey Druin!

I know you don't claim do dual wield much, but what would you suggest for someone who has a gimp TR set? My main gear is for dual wielding, but I also have a TR set that I use for farming DE's.

Would it be worth my time to TR through FoM until I find a game with Decaying Crypts, then change my skills/gear back to my dual wield setup... Or would it be more beneficial for me to just stay in my DW gear and use DS:Q to look for the Decaying Crypts?

Hey Peldin,

I am not entirely sure what would be more efficient.

I personally HATE switching specs or lots of items (more than 1 or 2) for runs so, were I in your position, I would simply DS-Q my way through FoM. It also gives you some good DS-Q practice by letting you figure out which breakable objects can be clicked on and from how far away so your DS-Q gameplay improves!

In either case, use your strongest suit for the actual run itself because FoM on high MP is pretty demanding and surviving is paramount to good xp/hr.

10/22/2013 07:05 PMPosted by Amiar
Hey Druin. I've dusted off some of my TR stuff and given this build a try. It's definitely going to take a while to get used to it. One thing that's kind of bumming me out is that my AR is so low without OWE. 398 vs. 658. If I could get a hold of a decent AR Inna's helm with SR and a decent AR Witching hour I feel like I would be in a good spot.

Hello Amiar,

It is fantastic to hear from you buddy!

First off, thanks for taking to time to read my guide, watch the videos and then give it all a try!

Let's get to question answering --
First, switch your single-resist items to phys-resist instead of all-resist and it shouldn't break the bank and will provide the EXACT same eHP boost.

I am running with ~550 all-res and ~670 phys-res and the phys-res is the key there.
Getting to 600 phys-res with only 300 all-res would be perfectly fine for MP10 FoM.

As of now though I think I need to run OWE. If I do this though is there really no difference in my SR in choosing between guardian's path and Exalted soul. (3.57/6.86 with SOJ vs. 3.84/6.34) ES is actually better without the SOJ.

Generally speaking, Guardian's Path is non-negotiable if you are going to use a 2h wep and here is why --
It increases your passive spir/sec by 35% which is nice but much more importantly, it makes Strong Spirit and Quickening give 35% more spirit which allows you to complete the combo more fluidly.

Without GP the build is much more clunky because SS only returns 5 spirit. This means that, on average, EP will be a MUCH worse investment where as with GP, it is a net-gain to cast EP.

This net-gain from EP is part of what makes the build work. If you are playing without ES, you will want to change your pattern to this --
EP EP EP FoT(maybe 2) Overawe Empowered Wave

You have to throw in some FoT's (or DR-SfB works REALLY well for the non-ES build) because 3x EP's drain all your spirit and you need to be able to cast overawe + Bell.

The last thing is that I just can't believe you can get 300k dps with a 2h. And you shame me by getting 240k dps with a leoric's ring on. I'm struggling to balance EHP and dps. Maybe I should see if I can drop resists somewhere and gain a bit more dps. Thoughts on that?

Generally, lower dps higher eHP is the name of the game with this spec. You need to be able to survive in the middle of monsters while casting EP. If you can do this, you can always execute the combo eventually it might just take a bit longer.

There is nothing wrong with throwing out a couple rotations of EP and FoT before bell-killing the pack to let FoT + SW soften them up.

Edit: I'd like to make a suggestion. Instead of going all naked on your templar, why not give him some MF gear (With no EHP on it) just for a bit of bonus MF while leveling? Couldn't hurt.

This is a fantastic idea, I will switch to this when I get home.

Edit2: After playing more I'm guessing GP scales with SOJ ad SW much better. I was almost at 10SR with both of those up and exalted soul. Also... I need to remember to use overawe before bells better.

GP scales ALL your spirit gain from ALL sources. It is the best passive in the game for 2h monks.

Edit3: Is it worth it to lose like 3/4k dps to gain more EHP? I'm at like 455 AR and can't find how I can get higher AR on my gear without either losing a ton of vit (which I'm already low on) or a ton of dps.

Yes.

10/22/2013 10:37 PMPosted by Amiar
@Druin, what do you pick up and not pick up from the ground?

I pickup specific legendaries that have an EV of ~>1m gold.
I also pickup 100% of DE's.

Other than that I leave it all on the ground. I probably pick up 1 in 5 legendaries.

10/23/2013 07:04 AMPosted by bEEplus
Gave this a try last night on MP10. It worked well using my spirit regen gear and TR so I could avoid those charging beasts. Definitely going to grind out the last few paragon levels to get to 100 using this. Thanks for the awesome guide!

Thanks for the support bEEplus! <3

10/23/2013 08:18 AMPosted by Wulfgar
What is the recommended least dps,HP,Armor,all Resist for it to e effective to run on mp10 and maintain that average exp per hour. Will a 200k monk average the same ?

Hello Wulfgar,

I am glad you enjoyed the guide!

I believe something like 150k dps 50000HP 5000armor 500phys-resist is the best "reasonable" setup for this run. I have 47000HP 5000armor 670phys-resist on my monk and I feel pretty unkillable.

200k will never be as good as 300k. I would expect virtually no one to achieve the numbers I have because virtually no one has my gear or experience playing this spec on this run!

I would expect people to be able to maintain 200m xp/hr on average if their gear is top-tier and they practice a lot.

Top-tier meaning all items have correctly rolled stats at >75% values.

10/23/2013 08:18 AMPosted by Wulfgar
Gear recommendations for synergy with build?

The video goes into some depth as to my gear choices and why I picked them.
Dex/vit + Phys-res Vile Ward is my #1 suggestion to every monk trying this spec.

Insane, just ... i dont have words to describe it...

Give that man a Medal !

I am sincerely glad you feel this way! :D

<3

And that does it for today's responses ... please look for your post if you asked a question as I got back to everyone who posted! <3

MVP - Diablo III (Wizard)
View profile
10/23/2013 12:01 PMPosted by Druin
I am not sure what "your page" is but thank you very much for the link! I sincerely appreciate the compliment! :D

My youtube page....where I have my D3 suff at....links and all. Nothing too exciting. But maybe i'll generate a few extra hits for you!

www.youtube.com/user/PieHole1628
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 12:01 PMPosted by Druin
For all I know, it actually takes my level of gear to make that spec work ... I haven't tested it with ~100m gold suits or anything like that so it's hard for me to draw conclusions about what is required.

100-120k weapon dmg, 500k EHP with 5k armor, +550 (physical)Res and around 50k Life from my experience (my own TR-Gear isn't that good :D). For people who like to tank one Cow-Charge without dying instantly.

:)
Reply Quote
@Druin

Great guide, I was what I did some months ago after seeing one of your video doing palm-bell

I sold my bard and built a great monk with 4 inna, jordan and 250~dps with 1.18aps just to do your run and it cost me about 300uss - some like close to 10b.

Went P00 to about 60 with 150-200xp/hour doing woods and fom.

Some issues that I have found: 1) I die to 2 bulls rushing, lock/freeze/vortex/RD 2) 500ms lag spike in middle of mobs 3) low damage to elites

But what made me change is that: in group, I cant pull/buff the party because I had no enough spirit to do my job. The only way to play is having a second monk doing pull/buff and I making hitkill bels. So in group play even having expensive low IAS gear I must had to play dual wield in most time.

I am not giving any advice here for by my experience this build is very specific, very hard to find good gear and with low resale value. It is great for solo farming, but it just dont work in group play, my ZDS monk can give lots more of party DPS cost less than 1/10 of my old monk and everyone loves me.
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 02:01 PMPosted by betocorp
I am not giving any advice here for by my experience this build is very specific, very hard to find good gear and with low resale value. It is great for solo farming, but it just dont work in group play, my ZDS monk can give lots more of party DPS cost less than 1/10 of my old monk and everyone loves me.

From whatever little monk knowledge I have I must say I don't quite agree with this statement. While I do feel that 2h monks are largely more spirit starved and therefore less effective in groups requiring pulling and buffing, I think the main / only real difference is the weapon setup.

On my monk I usually run a rare + WKL (or FoAz depending on my mood), and my gear's always been set up to maximize dual wielding. I've been running this build recently, however, and from what I've found the only thing I really had to change was my weapon to a skorn.

*Note - I also switch my inna's chest to a rare chest, and mempo to an inna's helm, but that was more of an issue of preference rather than necessity - I did do runs with mempo + inna's chest for a fair while. The current gear equipped on my female monk's a perfect example of what I mean - I switched my chest but forgot to switch the helm to my inna's, did a couple of runs and logged out without even realising that I had the wrong helm on.

I think that while gearing specifically towards optimizing a 2h build is slightly different from a core dual wield build, the differences are minor enough such that the suit should function fairly well for both purposes.

I sold my bard and built a great monk with 4 inna, jordan and 250~dps with 1.18aps just to do your run and it cost me about 300uss - some like close to 10b.

I'm really curious as to what this set looks like, it's way above what mine costs for sure, and I can't seem to fathom what makes it so 2h specific that you can't just switch to dual wielding - especially in parties where really you could pick up 2 cheap weapons for under 25m each and still be ok.
Edited by Nivre#6294 on 10/23/2013 3:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Druin, I only troll those I like. It is my gift to you :)
Reply Quote
Druin, thanks for the lengthy reply (from doing the odds n ends thread I know it's a lot of work to go through your post and hit everyone with a reply, especially one with like 4 edits).

So thanks!! I'll give this a couple more hours and see how I like it and post my thoughts on it. Here's to hoping I have enough EHP to knock it out of the park!
Reply Quote
But what made me change is that: in group, I cant pull/buff the party because I had no enough spirit to do my job. The only way to play is having a second monk doing pull/buff and I making hitkill bels. So in group play even having expensive low IAS gear I must had to play dual wield in most time.

Whats so hard to accept about the fact that this build isnt meant for party play?
Reply Quote

I'm really curious as to what this set looks like, it's way above what mine costs for sure, and I can't seem to fathom what makes it so 2h specific that you can't just switch to dual wielding - especially in parties where really you could pick up 2 cheap weapons for under 25m each and still be ok.

Was similar to it http://d3up.com/b/1131565/sachen if I remember well with %bell jordan, dps nat ring and a similar ~1450 skorn. Well... no crafts.

About dual I had 2 daggers with low DPS, +APS and a ias/ehp ring. The sad was that the run speed increased just because the more pull and healing buff. 2aps isnt enought to deal damage having to waste spirit in buff and palm. A true dual hand gear can deal more damage while having up pull/bufs. A weapon with damage similar to my old skorn is in billion range each. My gear could be ´fixed´in party with tals/mempo/witch, but it is nonsense having 2 expensive sets.

Whats so hard to accept about the fact that this build isnt meant for party play?

I and almost everyone dont play solo or party only, I am just saying in my post that I couldnt find any synergies with a top gear for this build and party play if you are the only monk.

Well, for ´nirvana´ when have lots of mobs together to fuel palm the pull DPS is great, but there are so few run time doing this.

I am only saying that the gear limit your build options for party and may be better options for general play.
Edited by betocorp#1835 on 10/23/2013 4:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
In a party you could probably just apply palm to things and win. And if you drop bells on trash and it 1 shots them then no one can complain about you knocking back their mobs.

But like others have said, this spec probably isn't the greatest for group play without another monk, just like ZDPS is great with a group, but terrible solo.
Reply Quote
Sounded awesome so I thought I'd give it a go. 37 new games later with not a single DC I gave up.
Reply Quote
Was similar to it http://d3up.com/b/1131565/sachen if I remember well with %bell jordan, dps nat ring and a similar ~1450 skorn. Well... no crafts.

About dual I had 2 daggers with low DPS, +APS and a ias/ehp ring. The sad was that the run speed increased just because the more pull and healing buff. 2aps isnt enought to deal damage having to waste spirit in buff and palm.

Thanks for linking the profile. Seems like you've got a pretty decent suit.

10/23/2013 04:15 PMPosted by betocorp
I am just saying in my post that I couldnt find any synergies with a top gear for this build and party play if you are the only monk.

Which brings me to this point - I don't see why just switching to 2 semi-decent 1handers wouldn't do the trick? Don't have to aim for top top tier stuff that have insane DPS in party, but cheap enough stuff that won't cost more than 25m each should theoretically still get you to about 150k dps? Which is pretty ok for a monk who's main job is to pull and drop palms anyway.

Am i missing something?
Reply Quote
Burninator, sounds like you were checking in the wrong places.

Druin, thanks a lot for the guide. I'm not sure if it has sped up my XP/hour, but it has made it more fun. Grinding plvls was starting to get annoying and I'm not even halfway done, xp wise. It had gotten to the point where I was starting to hear bells at work...

I think a couple other people suggested MoE:Backlash and I'd like to reiterate that. It's great if you don't have the EHP/DPS to survive on just sweeping winds and FoT. And even that aside, I was preferring backlash on my normal MP7 clears because it provides a crucial role of life leach in between bells. Get knocked back by a bull? If you survive with ~10% of your health, you'll likely have full health by the time you recover thanks to backlash. Deplete your spirit gathering up a large pack? Wade into them without fear while you FoT:Q back up to full. It also lets you strategically place palms because you have more time to pick out the low health targets. Harder than it sounds, especially when trash loot starts littering the floor.

Couple off topic questions, Druin. I noticed you're still picking up essences. How come you haven't rolled a chest or amulet yet? Or are you, and you haven't gotten a good roll yet?
Edited by Deathwing#1616 on 10/23/2013 11:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Failing to get much past 170m rates on your build/run or my build/run ~_~

Can't use a hellfire ring either considering i don't have a viable one. Plus eHP is already bad enough as is, so i'm gonna stick with my 3million gold rare ring that gives phys res, lol. i did take STI to reduce deaths, but the only times I can even pass 200m rates are single runs that have crypts (LOL crypts OP). For anything sustained consisting of like 1/3rd or less crypts it's like down at 160-170'ish.

TBH it's a little disappointing, as those are like the rates I got running scorps on my original monk like half year ago ~_~ lol.
Reply Quote
@Druin

With regards to the 'beginner set'
To give an example between my own experience and what you show in your videos. I simply can't tank the stuff you are tanking with single life steal, mainly due to the lower DPS. If you'll like maybe try a 200K DPS DW set? (unsocket your weapon?) The level which most people would assume to be MP10 ready. Maybe just "if you can't survive, use dual LS. After all, two handers are dual LS."

With regards to the Pillar for WoL
More testing needs to be done. I dropped down to MP9 with the 1200% WoL, works much better. So I assume your initial assumptions are right. Have been killed midway through planting the pillars before, lengthening the 'low LS' cycle from EPs to the WoL, which contradicts the beginner problem of lack of sustain.

With regards to MoE:Backlash.
Pure sustain, works better with DW since the spirt gen cycle is so short. But 48% less damage on bell again contradicts the first point. Your skill set is so tight, that any tweaks might simply make it unviable = (. After testing again, yea... just dropping the MPs still makes the most sense.

Hope all this helps.
Reply Quote
Another hour on MP10, went from PL44 to 47. 3 full DCs, had time to enter and partially clear a 4th DC without stacks before dying to a rancid pack and then some FoM at the end.

Died 4 times total, 3 times inside DC mostly to lightning rancid. 4th was to a bull charge with Zuni boots and Leoric's at the end. Again totally avoidable.

Looted full inventory of rares including 10 legs and 3 DE, 602k gold+vendor. Also had more MF, some of it due to Sun Keeper+Shield.

Dps with Templar PL47

219751 (1.17APS) +max SoJ
235930 (1.17APS) HF
190818 (1.08APS) HF+Zuni+Leoric's

Spirit was a bit better but still some issues. Too used to SoJ, might be worth it to try one run by replacing Nat's with HF and skipping Leoric's. HF with some mitigation could also be good.

4268 kills (doesn't include elite bonuses, same as before)
12 elite packs including the 3 packs of unique elite event

192.08m xp, much better than the last time and 200m is doable. Spent less time finding DCs this time.
Edited by dominatus#2534 on 10/24/2013 5:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 10:59 PMPosted by Deathwing
Burninator, sounds like you were checking in the wrong places.

Nah, it's pretty straight forward locating the 2 main plug sites in that zone. I went back and tried a couple more and on attempt 41 I got it spawn finally.

Someone else out there has probably just had an awesome run of consecutive DC spawns, they can thank me.
Reply Quote
Edited by k1llface#1568 on 10/24/2013 7:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nah, it's pretty straight forward locating the 2 main plug sites in that zone. I went back and tried a couple more and on attempt 41 I got it spawn finally.

Someone else out there has probably just had an awesome run of consecutive DC spawns, they can thank me.

And I thought I got a bad streak of luck with finding DC on my 18th attempt. Is there an official spawn percentage for decaying crypts?

It surely feels like Blizzard's randomize engine is broken sometimes. On the first try to get a key on MP9 with my buddy, we both got no key. OK, there is 1% chance that it happens, but still...
My 77 datamined key runs on MP8 resulted in ~69% keys instead of the expected ~80%.

Actually finding the places where DC is spawning is pretty fast, but finding a good spot to TP out of FOM is quite hard sometimes. Those goatmen follow you almost anywhere! I'm thinking of just leaving the game and probably dying in those 10s. It feels wrong somehow though.

@Druin
Thx for this awesome guide, btw. You make this game way more interesting for me. €>
I'm looking forward to your XP-Run film production :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]