Diablo® III

[Guide] - Max EXP/hr in Patch 1.0.8 (solo)

Fourth try on MP10 with new record.

196.95m xp

Link: http://youtu.be/QLuFpKQPzVQ

I was on track to break 200m before more deaths at the end but this will have to do for now.

4300 kills (doesn't include elite bonuses)
15 elite packs including the 3 packs of unique elite event

Lowered dps and ChC with AR HF and AR Zuni and it definitely helped. Still died 3 times total. Would have been less without all those epic elemental damage affixes in tight spaces. Once to normal mobs when spirit was out and didn't use potion.

Looted nearly full inventory of rares including 6 legs and 4 DE.

Dps with Templar PL52

220741 (1.17APS) +max SoJ
231166 (1.17APS) HF
181814 (1.08APS) HF+Zuni+Leoric's
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Hey guys, just released the fourth video for the guide.

I managed a pretty cool 255m xp/hr in a 14 minute run!

I don't talk at all in this one but I do have music so feel free to turn it up and check out what a full run looks like from my point of view! :D

http://youtu.be/WrcyADnpukM
View profile
<(^^<)
Reply Quote
Hey guys, just released the fourth video for the guide.

I managed a pretty cool 255m xp/hr in a 14 minute run!

I don't talk at all in this one but I do have music so feel free to turn it up and check out what a full run looks like from my point of view! :D

http://youtu.be/WrcyADnpukM
Edited by baggins#6187 on 10/28/2013 4:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Awesome vids and guide, Druin!

I want to try this run on my blizzard wizard and see what sort of xp per hour I can get. Previously was getting about 120m on MP 6.

I noticed a lot of other classes reporting nice xp. I wonder if it is the best solo run for every class except barbarians? It seems the essential elements are high mobility (esp to run through crypts), AOE dps, ability to knock out elite packs fairly fast on MP 10, and enough survivability to make it through bull charges, FOM packs, elites? Any class/build able to bring those essential elements ought to perform really well.

Would be really interesting to track max xp per hour for different classes/builds/MP using the two routes in your guide!
Reply Quote
I run an entirely different build from Druin but I still use roughly the same routes that he does to improve my xp rate. One of the biggest improvements is/was learning the way points. The actual route varies for me, probably because I'm using Dashing Strike instead of Tempest Rush. Sometimes I go to DS from pack to pack to round them up and get carried away a little. I know I've pulled too many when the game starts to lag. =/
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Hey Druin. I've been messing around on my WD seeing how high I can get his theoretical exp/hr and after about 10 test runs (definitely not enough) I'm seeing about 160m/hr consistently without crypts. My one perfect amazing run with the crypts I forgot to time -_-

But, it looks like my WD might be able to put up a fight against your monk!

/raises fists

Hey Amiar,

I am really glad to hear this! How does running through Crypts work for you? That was my only concern for WD's.

I figured with the low HP on the zombies, once you had crypt primed, you would be able to kill all of them with a single Locust Swarm!

Also, do you do the Locust Swarm kiting method through FoM? I watched a WD video where he did that and it seemed pretty effective.

———————————————————————————————————————

@ druin

im currently a dw 320k dps monk. I do have a crappy skorn and innas helm with spirit regen which I use to farm DEs on mp6 with TR/bells. I'm looking to increase my exp/hour when running act1 mp10 and I was wondering whats the minimum dps you'd recomment for this to work on mp10. I believe with a soj, innas helm and belt and skorn I'm somewhere around 225k, little more with the witching hour (since it seems inna's 4set isn't really that important). I guess the most important thing is killing trash asap, so I'm wondering if with sub 300k dps it would be best to stick to mp9

thanks

Hello Oldo,

First, I do not think DPS is all that important. I actually played around with dropping to 220k DPS by using Leoric's + Zuni boots and my Vit Inna's Pants and it seemed fine. I would expect anyone above 150k DPS to do better on MP10 than MP9 because EP doesn't care which MP you are on!

Second, there is no need for SoJ for the majority of the run. You can use it for killing elites in the beginning and keeping your spir/sec up ... but other than that I would recommend a rare ring or a Hellfire ring.

Third, Witching Hour is pretty much flat-out better than Inna's Favor for this spec because the mob density in FoM and DC is so high that SW should never really fall off with or without Inna's 4x.

10/26/2013 06:45 AMPosted by oldo
ehp should be fine. i can take a cow charge easily as long as im full hps ( http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/oldo-2450/Oldoh/17207910 ). going 2h i will have lower all resists however, going from 520 to about 450 since i'll have to use a soj over the rare ring. 52k ish hp

That all-resist number (450) might be a tad too low ... I am not certain about that because you have a bit more HP than me, but I do not feel super comfortable below 500 phys-resist.

That being said, please feel free to drop that SoJ once you are done with the "getting stacks" part of the run!

10/26/2013 06:45 AMPosted by oldo
checked the dw ds:q video and it seems almost as good as TR, I guess I'll give that a try once I get home, since my gear is for 1 handers. Will swap my current boa amulet to another with 80 all res and a little less dps, see how it goes. cheers

The dual-1h variation is totally viable.

Just to note, it is not as good. So far, no one has been able to touch my 2h variation's effectiveness including myself using my dual 1h setup! :D

Tempest Rush + higher burst bells is simply too effective.

Fourth try on MP10 with new record.

196.95m xp

So close!!!

You are certainly in the 200m range and I expect with more practice that you will get there. The eHP changes sound like they have helped which I am glad to hear because that is my experience as well.

Very nice work Dom!

<(^^<)

(>^^)>

10/28/2013 04:24 AMPosted by baggins
I never watch your vids for the actual content nor for the music but only for your sexy voice

I am sorry to let you down this time then! <3

10/28/2013 09:18 AMPosted by Vox
Awesome vids and guide, Druin!

Thanks Vox!

I haven't gotten a chance to try out my zDPS set yet, but I did make one and I will get back to you once I get a chance to test it!

I want to try this run on my blizzard wizard and see what sort of xp per hour I can get. Previously was getting about 120m on MP 6.

I noticed a lot of other classes reporting nice xp. I wonder if it is the best solo run for every class except barbarians? It seems the essential elements are high mobility (esp to run through crypts), AOE dps, ability to knock out elite packs fairly fast on MP 10, and enough survivability to make it through bull charges, FOM packs, elites? Any class/build able to bring those essential elements ought to perform really well.

I believe that, aside from Barbs, this is the best xp/hr run for all classes. The only caveat is there is some requirement of movement skills that a couple classes have a tendency to ignore.

Without the priming part of the run, it is unlikely that this run does any better than strait FoM farming.

It is also possible that some classes other than barbs could actually see better xp/hr from the Act2 run. I haven't tested it yet so that is still something I need to do! Would be pretty funny if I went to all this work and it turns out Act2 is simply way better!

10/28/2013 09:18 AMPosted by Vox
Would be really interesting to track max xp per hour for different classes/builds/MP using the two routes in your guide!

Do it!! I love additional data points! <3

10/28/2013 09:31 AMPosted by Peldin
I run an entirely different build from Druin but I still use roughly the same routes that he does to improve my xp rate. One of the biggest improvements is/was learning the way points. The actual route varies for me, probably because I'm using Dashing Strike instead of Tempest Rush. Sometimes I go to DS from pack to pack to round them up and get carried away a little. I know I've pulled too many when the game starts to lag. =/

You say "pulled too many" I say "pulled just enough" !!! :D

You haven't lived until you have seen a triple digit "killed in one blow"!
Hey Druin,

Thanks for making this guide - I decided to build my monk up around your guidelines. I seem to be able to do up to MP8 without much problem - tonight I hope to test MP9 and MP10. If you have any suggestions for better gear, or things I should swap in or continue crafting on, would appreciate your feedback.

Things of note :
1) Cold damage on the SOJ seems kind of hilarious, TR seems to proc it?
2) +Sweeping wind damage on SOJ also seems to boost my "passive" life steal.
3) I didn't bother to calculate how much spirit regen I have to make sure I had perma TR. It seems to work
4) Getting harder and harder to find Skorn upgrades that aren't priced crazy.
5) Running out of places to roll AR, but I've managed a comfy +500 AR so I can drop OWE, sacrificed some DEX for this stat.
6) Not sure where else I can get some more damage, I think I've hit a gear wall.

Thanks for posting this - my monk is kind of hilarious now (EP, EP, Bell, BOOOOOOOM).
Reply Quote
@Druin: Yeah, almost 200m, without deaths it would have been. It's doable but it will have to wait.

What's your best xp for a full hour, 220 or something?

I've been working on VotA. I've done 6 changes.

-FF instead of CoR
-Scoundrel instead of Templar
-No shrines
-No rares and only some legs
-Limited the use of MoC
-Stretched the limits in partial clears for 5,6,7 packs. If the super rare 4 happens I'll do that too. Also did a change at the end. Only checking the stretched version (always check short one first) of last area on top right if I'm at max 6 (previously 7) packs prior to that. It's the one I always leave for last.

I did a 49.11 without shrines. It consisted of 26 clears which is also newish. Only 1 short of yours. It included that impossibly rare unlucky full VotA of only 5 packs.
Edited by dominatus#2534 on 10/28/2013 2:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
2nd night of running this spec, switched to my other crafted amulet so im sitting between 600 and 520 all res depending if im dw or 2h/using soj or not (no luck with a decent hf ring)

maybe its just me getting used to the spec (was dw last night for the first runs, 2h tonight) but it seems i die a lot less as 2h than i do as dw. ehp is just about the same, 5+ ls as dw

been having plenty of fun tho, just need to practice dropping better placed EPs and i should be set :D
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
Hey Druin,

Thanks for making this guide - I decided to build my monk up around your guidelines. I seem to be able to do up to MP8 without much problem - tonight I hope to test MP9 and MP10. If you have any suggestions for better gear, or things I should swap in or continue crafting on, would appreciate your feedback.

Hello Ieareth,

I am really glad you like the guide!
With your stats, I would assume MP10 is quite doable.

10/28/2013 12:18 PMPosted by leareth
1) Cold damage on the SOJ seems kind of hilarious, TR seems to proc it?

TR does proc the cold from a cold SoJ though I do not personally find it to be very useful. When rounding mobs up in FoM it can actually be a detriment!

2) +Sweeping wind damage on SOJ also seems to boost my "passive" life steal.

While I highly recommend SoJ for the elite killing portion of the run, I also highly recommend NOT using it for FoM and DC. If you use a rare ring or a Litany of the Undaunted, you will have a lot more DPS and a lot more eHP to work with and, because you are no longer fighting elites (you skip them) you don't lose anything!

This one change should make MP10 a cakewalk for you!

3) I didn't bother to calculate how much spirit regen I have to make sure I had perma TR. It seems to work

You don't need even close to perma-TR. I run with 9.59 spir/sec and 1.4 APS so my TR costs me 4.36 spirit per second and that is completely fine. You have quite a bit less APS than me and I believe you will barely notice dropping SoJ.

4) Getting harder and harder to find Skorn upgrades that aren't priced crazy.

This will remain the case unfortunately. You are looking for a very specific set of stats on a specific item and it is simply not that common.

5) Running out of places to roll AR, but I've managed a comfy +500 AR so I can drop OWE, sacrificed some DEX for this stat.

You are in a pretty good place with respect to resists. If you want a little more a phys-resist VW would do the trick without losing all that much vit.

6) Not sure where else I can get some more damage, I think I've hit a gear wall.

Witching Hour, Crafted Gloves (trifecta), Tal's armor and eventually (when crafts permit) droping vit gems in pants for dex!

@Druin: Yeah, almost 200m, without deaths it would have been. It's doable but it will have to wait.

What's your best xp for a full hour, 220 or something?

Yea my best 60 minute session is 222m so far. I stopped doing hour sets when I made that number because I hit 100 and started doing VotA again ... I may have more numbers later but I will need to get back to paragon ~80 before my monk is strong enough to compete at that level.

-FF instead of CoR
-Scoundrel instead of Templar
-No shrines
-No rares and only some legs
-Limited the use of MoC
-Stretched the limits in partial clears for 5,6,7 packs. If the super rare 4 happens I'll do that too. Also did a change at the end. Only checking the stretched version (always check short one first) of last area on top right if I'm at max 6 (previously 7) packs prior to that. It's the one I always leave for last.

These all sound like fantastic ideas although I am skeptical about the Scoundrel over Templar play.

The rare 5 VotA is THE WORST feeling in the whole world. You get to the end and double take at your encountered elites ... so sad. :(

10/28/2013 02:08 PMPosted by dominatus
I did a 49.11 without shrines. It consisted of 26 clears which is also newish. Only 1 short of yours. It included that impossibly rare unlucky full VotA of only 5 packs.

No shrines and already back up to 49.11 sounds like a shoe-in. If you want to, I would be quite happy to go over, in a LOT of detail, a great method to make this go WAY faster for you. Either friends me in game or we can skype or w/e because it involves a mind-numbingly large amount of Excel work to make happen and I can't really describe it on the forums! <3

2nd night of running this spec, switched to my other crafted amulet so im sitting between 600 and 520 all res depending if im dw or 2h/using soj or not (no luck with a decent hf ring)

maybe its just me getting used to the spec (was dw last night for the first runs, 2h tonight) but it seems i die a lot less as 2h than i do as dw. ehp is just about the same, 5+ ls as dw

been having plenty of fun tho, just need to practice dropping better placed EPs and i should be set :D

I am glad you are having fun!

I am not sure why would you feel like you are tankier with the 2h if you have good LS and good all-res with both setups! That is quite odd.
Is doing FoM worth it? Or should I just be clearing the crypts over and over again? Have you done any testing on that?
Reply Quote
I would also like to know if you tried just start crypts

after 5 stacks ofc
Edited by baggins#6187 on 10/28/2013 10:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey Druin!

I've been over in HC land for a while but I'm thinking about rebooting my SC monk, but I basically sold off any decent gear I had.

I did a run on mp10 and crypts was there first time + 3 elites inside so I was able to get 5 stacks quickly. I died a ton though but leveled from p23-24 in about 20 minutes so it is fast! Not sure on my xp/hour as didn't calculate it...

The point though is a long time ago you posted the original TR guide and I used it to get my first monk to 100, and you've motivated me to work on my other monk so essentially thank you! People like you are pretty much the only reason I still play because you put together something here that's viable for all monks to use.

Now to just keep from dying so much and I'll be on my way to 200k+ xp/hr

Cheers!
Reply Quote
@Druin: Done. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8568378716?page=20#393
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
@Druin: Done. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/8568378716?page=20#393

Congrats Dom!! Now there are two of us in the >50 bracket! :D

Sorry to see the two deaths :( Would have been an even more awesome score with a little more luck on those particular elite packs!

<cheers>
Edited by Druin#1518 on 10/29/2013 5:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks.

The problem was that to bring in some of the dps gap I had to use the older bracers that bring me to about 400 physres, though adding some more armor to compensate slightly. Also lose the only PuR with the bracers so globes are a reach.

So it was a mix of gear and luck. The bracers are a bit of a reach for smooth MP7 especially with blazing guardians, but because I didn't use MoC now, in part due to the bracers, it was manageable with enough practice.

I did a check on the 2 deaths. First was on a champ wraith pack with Desecrator+RD. I was standing on desecrator while RD was still on, health was good. Was tankable. Then one of them did that special crushing attack, then instantly health low, desecrator lowering it further and RD bell.

Second was on a rare blazing guardian pack with Desecrator+RD. I was standing on desecrator while RD was still on, not enough mitigation without bracers to sustain hp long enough for a safe RD bell apply and then reposition after if still low hp.

Both were a result of lack of physical res basicly. Both took exactly the same amount of time per pack btw. The effect those deaths had is actually quite interesting. I imagined the both clears fully clockwise instead of only partially.

On the first clear. Because I already had 1 goblin and I was going the other way around I noticed on the video at 29:28 another goblin that I missed. I would definitely have seen that in a normal run and ended up at 6+2 instead of 7+1. The result was some time lost here.

On the second clear. It ended up with 9+1, and that could have actually been beneficial going counterclockwise all the way to the end knowing there was still another pack, but I will explain further. Without the death I would have continued clockwise to a 6+1 partial ending. So in the end I would have gained perhaps about 100 extra seconds to use for the last clear which ended at 5+1. 10 more seconds would have yielded at 6+1. So I would have had about 90 seconds to make up those 2 more.

I would probably have created a 26th game because the clear was done slightly before halfway through. I would have needed to engage 2 more gobs or packs in the following clear. Let's say I would have had 70 seconds on that clear for actual farming. It's 100% potential for 3 packs assuming no empty start for VotA rng. I'm often at about <1min at 3 packs. And 3 is pretty normal that much in. With luck I would have had time to engage a 4th if there was good rng. And that would have been 51.15. ;)

Considering the deaths were there. If I hadn't been interrupted by 1 crawler or something at one clear at the last second of TP I would have been able to engage that 1 more pack not shown on video in the end. Seems like dodge works when just starting to TP, then even if it's just 1 hit, it fails on last second of TP.
Edited by dominatus#2534 on 10/30/2013 3:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Druin,

AWESOME video and NICE quide, NO question all about it coz u really know how to match skill and gears... go go go Master Monk :-)
Reply Quote
@Druin: Did you try out VSORCS yet? I did 1 run just to test and it didn't feel as fun with the types of mobs around. At least, though it may not be enough to make up for it, there's not that issue of sometimes needing to make several games to find the DCs. I'm not sure how much it lowers the xp if the crypt takes many games to find, but it's probably significant. This fact could make VSORCS a bit more balanced in xp yield.

Anyway, I was pretty sure that the xp wasn't going to be good at all and I did many mistakes along the way and even died 4 times. I actually took out about 3 extra packs and the keywarden also. One of the deaths was on the keywarden.

So when I turned that xp of 1 run to an hour, I was surprised that it was still 180.93m theoretical xp/h. I guess the next one couldn't at least be worse If I skipped extra packs, key warden, died less and did some other areas differently.

This run may actually require more ehp than the Act 1 route to not die.

Route used on MP10:

5 packs in VotA through portal and switch to HF
Desolate Sands
Path to the Oasis-Dahlgur Oasis-Forgotten Ruins-Dahlgur Oasis
Western & Eastern Channels
Storm Halls
Reply Quote
MVP
View profile
I have not.

I completely switched my monk over to a group zDPS spec for a while.

It's crazy fun! :D

I will try VSORCS out for the next monk! ;)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]