Diablo® III

Death Penalty - Treasure Goblin

When you die , a portal opens & the treasure goblin drops out, looks left, looks right & if the coast is clear, gobbles up any gold and items laying around your corpse.
This only takes him a few moments then he's "heheheeee" gone...

In public games, the portal only spawns if it's a total wipe.

Imo, this would be a fun, relatively harmless death penalty & would add some addrenaline if a legendary drops in the heat of battle.

Edit: Nothing would be taken from you or your inventory.
Edited by Zyron#1698 on 10/22/2013 10:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Sure, so long as you can toggle that feature on or off.
Reply Quote
I like it.
Reply Quote
Sounds sweet. I think it would be even better if he had the ability to randomly take one of your non BoA items and some of your gold. Provide a necessary item/gold sink as well as that rush of not dying without sacrificing your entire character.
Reply Quote
As long as he doesn't scoop my corpse....we're good
Reply Quote
I figured many would find that to painful, but watching the goblin scoop up unidentified rares or the occasional legendary, would forever be remembered as the gear you never got to check, the "one that got away".

That combined w/ watching him vacuum up any gold would make dying tons more exciting imo.

Yeah, then just add to the feature. Make it so the next time you kill a treasure goblin, it has a chance to drop the item it stole from you! The more you die, the more items you'll need to get back. So don't die!

There you go, fun, invigorating, and provides a goal for killing those bastaads.
Reply Quote
Freaking awesome idea! I'd expand upon it a little, and give the option to go to Greed's domain to have a chance to gather your lost loot back. And if you die there, it's lost forever.

Or, if you want something a little less dramatic, the next goblin you get might drop your lost gold & items if it dies.
Reply Quote
As long as legendary items were immune to this effect, I would be ok with it. Good itemized legendary's are too rare for a goblin to just snatch it up.
Reply Quote
+1 awesome idea. I really like it.
Reply Quote
I like the idea then have the chance for the next goblin to drop some items he took. It's like double jeopardy if you want to chase him down in a group to risk death again and lose even more items, or win and get them back + more

I really think this could be the new goblin version. How is he even a treasure goblin to begin with when he doesn't steal our loot, and doesn't kill monsters to get loot either? There is no such thing as loot just lying on the ground. No realism.

And no it shouldn't be an option/check box. Completely defeats the purpose
Edited by Durabolin#1796 on 10/21/2013 3:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/21/2013 03:23 PMPosted by TempestFatum
As long as legendary items were immune to this effect, I would be ok with it. Good itemized legendary's are too rare for a goblin to just snatch it up.

Then don't die. In my perspective while playing any game, people should use every 'nanometer' of effort they have to avoid death, and there should be a penalty for letting it happen
Reply Quote
Anything would be better than the corpse-piling being done right now.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
When you die in softcore, a portal opens & the treasure goblin drops out, looks left, looks right & if the coast is clear, gobbles up any gold an items laying around your corpse.

Imo, this would be a fun, relatively harmless death penalty & would add some addrenaline if a legendary drops in the heat of battle.

That's an interesting idea! If I'm understanding this correctly, you're suggesting that a Treasure Goblin should spawn whenever you die that will grab any of the local gold and items that you were unable to gather prior to your death. This way you would never lose any of the stuff you've already got, but risk losing uncollected rewards if you die in the middle of a fight.

How many of you would like it if this was put into the game? Would you change the way it works, and why?

Great thread, Zyron!
Reply Quote
When you die in softcore, a portal opens & the treasure goblin drops out, looks left, looks right & if the coast is clear, gobbles up any gold an items laying around your corpse.

That's an interesting idea! If I'm understanding this correctly, you're suggesting that a Treasure Goblin should spawn whenever you die that will grab any of the local gold and items that you were unable to gather prior to your death. This way you would never lose any of the stuff you've already got, but risk losing uncollected rewards if you die in the middle of a fight.

How many of you would like it if this was put into the game? Would you change the way it works, and why?

Great thread, Zyron!

I dislike this idea. People would constantly be picking up items left and right instead of fighting. Much like in Diablo 2, people might have other priorities than killing monsters (hoping that Baal kills someone so that you will have to compete with less people).
Reply Quote

I would love this, but I think it would be a little concerning to players for the unidentified loot that may have been GG. I mean, what if he stole a ring, you'd be sooo dissappointed.

The revision on it that I would love to see, is to have the goblin take one of your items equiped, and that you must defeat the next treasure goblin you find to have a chance to get it back. That way there isn't any discontent with him just taking items off the ground that you could have had.
Reply Quote

So the penalty for death amounts to losing the 30 or so seconds that it took to kill some monsters around you before you died. That wouldn't even be noticeable.
Edited by Matthew#1923 on 10/21/2013 4:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]