Diablo® III

One vote saved us

I know this has been discussed before but it bugs me everytime I hear Kulle say it. Humanity wasn't one vote away from extermination, there was only one for FOR extermination. Even if Malthael counted against us (which isn't how abstentions work) why don't Auriel & Itherael get credit for voting to spare humanity?

The vote was 1/3/1 that isn't even close.
Reply Quote
There's so many aspects of the story that are so incredibly iffy. The majority of dialogue contradicts itself in Diablo 3, or just out-right ignores common sense.
Reply Quote
There were two votes against extermination (Auriel and Ithereal), one abstain (Malthael), and one for extermination (Imperius).

If Tyrael had voted for extermination, there would have been a tie and therefore no vote in favor of humanity, and therefore no reason for Heaven to let humanity live.

Source: The Veiled Prophet, page 329
Edited by Chris#1235 on 10/23/2013 2:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
There were two votes against extermination (Auriel and Ithereal), one abstain (Malthael), and one for extermination (Imperius).

If Tyrael had voted for extermination, there would have been a tie and therefore no vote in favor of humanity, and therefore no reason for Heaven to let humanity live.

Source: The Veiled Prophet, page 329

Exactly as he put it.

If the vote was tied it still would have lead to the destruction of Sanctuary as the Eternal Conflict would have spilt into our realm to fight for who would control this new power source.
Reply Quote
Yeah and if Malthael *had* voted, he definitely would have voted for its destruction as he sees humans as demonic offspring (even though they're half angel too) and therefore a threat to heaven or something like that.

So let's say he had voted, it would have be 2 for saving, 2 for extermination, and Tyrael therefore voted to save it.

But apparently you're saying Malthael abstained?

I thought that Malthael would have been there at the time for that vote cause I thought vote was like, far before the Destruction of the Worldstone (which is when Malthael disappeared - immediately after Diablo, and has been gone for the 20 years leading up to Diablo 3 before returning as the Angel of Death, instead of Wisdom which now Tyrael has taken the role of)
Reply Quote
10/24/2013 09:05 AMPosted by Godric
But apparently you're saying Malthael abstained?
I'm not saying that he did, it's a fact that he did. He was there for the vote and decided not to cast one because "in the end, it does not matter for me" (a paraphrase).
Reply Quote
Which still means Tyreal wasn't the "one vote" that saved humanity but one of the three that saved it.
Reply Quote
10/25/2013 05:02 AMPosted by Virgo4Ever
Which still means Tyreal wasn't the "one vote" that saved humanity but one of the three that saved it.

Tyrael got the deciding vote. If there had been a tie, then humanity would have been destroyed directly or indirectly anyway.

now, how the Nephalem can come to the conclusion that Tyrael was the one who decided it has bothered me greatly, since knowledge of the politics of the High Heavens aren't as a rule known on Sanctuary.
Reply Quote
10/25/2013 06:15 AMPosted by Keltest
The thing about Tyrael's vote is that as Keltest mentioned, he had the deciding vote, but more importantly, his vote was completely out of character. Up until events that had happened just minutes (or hours) before the vote was cast, Tyrael's vote against humanity was a total lock. Before, Tyrael had been just as anti-humanity as Imperius.

now, how the Nephalem can come to the conclusion that Tyrael was the one who decided it has bothered me greatly, since knowledge of the politics of the High Heavens aren't as a rule known on Sanctuary.
I'm almost positive that there is a source I can track down, but right now, I don't have the time. This information comes from The Books of Kalan, as Kalan himself (Mendeln ul-Diomed), was present for the vote and was spared from the memory wipe thanks to Trag'Oul.
Reply Quote
Mallie's too cool to vote.
Reply Quote
for some elections having majority of votes is not enough to decide something, you need at least half the votes +1, or maybe even more (example, to choose the pope you need 2/3, if memory doesn't fail me). maybe the voting to save humanity was like this, 2/5 votes wasn't enough, 3/5 was.
Reply Quote
Imperius voted for destruction of humanity.
Auriel voted against killing humans.
Itherael also voted against killing humans.
Malthael cbf voting.

So that's 2 vs 1.

Tyrael used to be good mates with Imperius and shared the save view regarding humans = abominations. He would have voted for the destruction of humanity too, which would have meant a tie and they would have proceeded with eradicating all humans; but no, he had a change of heart and voted against killing humans which Imperius is still b*tching about till this day. 3 vs 1. Sanctuary is spared from annihilation.

Therefore, his one vote saved Sanctuary..
Reply Quote
I would guess the two ways that the humans would know of the outcome of the vote would be

A) Tyreal told someone while on sanctuary on one of his many time there.
B) Was told by the necros, who speak with a neutral semi knowing party "Trag'Oul"

There are plenty of ways.
Reply Quote
12/15/2013 07:59 PMPosted by Oble
Imperius voted for destruction of humanity.
Auriel voted against killing humans.
Itherael also voted against killing humans.
Malthael cbf voting.

So that's 2 vs 1.

Tyrael used to be good mates with Imperius and shared the save view regarding humans = abominations. He would have voted for the destruction of humanity too, which would have meant a tie and they would have proceeded with eradicating all humans; but no, he had a change of heart and voted against killing humans which Imperius is still b*tching about till this day. 3 vs 1. Sanctuary is spared from annihilation.

Therefore, his one vote saved Sanctuary..

Actually he believed there was no justice in genocide.

Technically Tyreal could have abstained and Humanity still would have been spared with a 2-1 vote of save versus kill humanity.

Tyreal may have voted, but his vote was just insult to injury as with the 2:1 the vote still would have ended in humanity's favor. There's little possibility that Tyreal would have voted yes. There's nothing just about randomly declaring war because they're a possible, and unconfirmed threat.
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 02:45 PMPosted by RageCraft

Actually he believed there was no justice in genocide.

Technically Tyreal could have abstained and Humanity still would have been spared with a 2-1 vote of save versus kill humanity.

Tyreal may have voted, but his vote was just insult to injury as with the 2:1 the vote still would have ended in humanity's favor. There's little possibility that Tyreal would have voted yes. There's nothing just about randomly declaring war because they're a possible, and unconfirmed threat.

He really couldn't have though. Justice cannot be served through inaction. Tyrael by his very nature must either be for or against something.

Also, Kulle is a snake when it comes to telling truths to people. The way he says lets on about the vote in Heaven is said explicitly to anger the Nephalem heroes and convince them they cannot trust angels.

Well, if we can't trust demons, and now angels are out too, that just leaves ourselves and Kulle. From there, I guess Kulle figured it would be easier to win us over to his side and help him become something like the Mage-god of Mankind... or something like that.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]