Diablo® III

The LOH Build Discussion

View profile
Added section for random insights from other LOH users.

Rearranged some of the guide itself to try improve the flow.

Added a second uber build and another trash farming build.
Reply Quote
View profile
Still piecing more information together also updated op with some fancy new editing. I think it looks much cleaner now
Reply Quote
Nice guide, I'll chip in a suggestion too. I think it'll be nice to have a series of tests to determine the amount of ehp heal to run each MP level comfortably. That way players can identify the level they can play in or the gearing required to play a particular level.

Effective LoH should be a lot easier to calculate than Life Steal since they have static returns but it is subjected to proc coefficient and attack speed. I'm not a math wiz but it should be caculated from:
- amount of loh
- hp:ehp ratio
- attack speed
- proc coefficient

For simplicity, you can just use FoT:TC single target as the standard since most LoH monks use it anyway. You can use Azmodan as the standard to determine if the player have enough effective LoH to play comfortably in that MP level. The test will be facetanking Azmodan without moving and standing on the 3 overlapping discs thingy while getting hit by the falling corpses and fireball. You may want to run the test multiple times per MP level to draw a conclusion. Alternatively, you can use Ghom for the test if you feel it's a more accurate measurement.

So the end result is a recommended amount of effective loh per MP level
eg.
MP Recommended effective LoH (TC 3 hit single target)
1 3000
2 4000
3 5000

The values above are ehp returns per 3 hit TC, someone has to come up with the exact formula so players can use it to calculate their own to compare to the recommended values. This value is also useful for loh monks who are looking for upgrades, they will be able to tell if they are gaining or losing sustain when they are looking at a potential upgrade piece of gear. This is just a recommendation as survivability can vary with play style, builds and dps.
Reply Quote
View profile
BM also to note I have tried all popular builds and variations on them like Fitz/CF Nirvana build, Druins DS/EP/CW, INVIS Speed palms, Tri-Gen, Dual-Gen kinds of cookie builds and the thing that stats out the most is the lack of sustain from SW. All are doable but the surviveability takes a hit without the LOH proc from FOT:Thunderclap. To make sure the builds ran smoothly I had to play with NDE and Serenity which gimped some of the builds a bit but it was sufficient to farm MP10 with little to no issues. Some packs are just insanely powerful since their DPS output is so high that the stunted sustain forced me to kite more than I usually do. ie: any combination of 3 of the following: RD, Plague, Arcane, Molten, Fire Chains, Desecrate

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
@ CC

You are correct, ubers without without Mystic.

100k DPS
1000+ Res
5000+ Armor
60k+ HP
4000+ LOH
2.5+ APS

Needed exploding palm though. I'll try to get a video up, would be an 8-9min battle against SB and Kulle.
Reply Quote
View profile
@hayabusa

That's a good idea don't know how in depth I could go myself as I am no math genius but I could compile a listing of stats needed to do each mp with minimal effort. Should be easy enough to make that.

@srank
A video would be great I would add it into the op

@cc
Kinda thought you would have tried all builds which worked the best and how was nirvana with LOH
Reply Quote
Alright, I'll attempt to do the math but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Let's take Blademaster's monk as an example. (I'll average out the aps on both hands for simplicity sake)

Effective TC aps = Base weapon speed * [1+(weapAsi/100)] * [1+(gearAsiBonus/100)+(dwBonus/100)+(TCBonus/100)]
Main hand = 1.4 * 1 * (1+0.6+0.15+0.5) = 3.15 aps
Offhand = 1.4 * 1.11 * (1+0.6+0.15+0.5) = 3.4965 aps
Average effective aps = 3.32325

LoH generated with TC:FoT = LoH * effective aps * 3 hit single target proc coefficient (75%x2)+(75%x2)+75%
You have 2257 loh so you'll generate (3hit TC single target)
2257 * 3.32325 * 3.75 = 28127.1571875hp/sec

Converting that to ehp, you simply multiply it with your hp:ehp ratio
28127.1571875 * 11.3 = 317836.87621875 or 318K ehp/s
or 55.4% of full health per second.

Note: This calculation does not take into account melee, range or elite damage reduction.

sRank has very interesting sustain so let's calculate his for comparison
Mainhand TC aps = 3.68298
Offhand TC aps = 3.318
Average aps = 3.50049
EHP generated per second = 4020 * 3.50049 * 3.75 * 16.83 = 888117.1940025 or 888K ehp/s

Hope I got the math right!
Edited by hayabusa#1877 on 10/26/2013 5:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Second recording attempt.
Again, no follower, and no mystic ally.

Mistake in the fight was Kulle died away from Siegebreaker and the EP didn't take effect; when it does and they are in close proximity, you need to Serenity.

I kept my passives the same as I would be using in regular play. Since Pacifism does nothing for this fight you can switch it to NDE.

Anyway, even while missing the EP, I continued to fight going into Enrage, to show you how long you could last with proper LoH. I almost made it.

FPS was 15 when I was recording and that also put a hamper on the fight. Lag will make your character not throw punches.

It's uploading now on youtube. It's 4gig, but it will go live at this address: http://youtu.be/bh8nhkr0fYE
Edited by sRank#1773 on 10/27/2013 10:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Looking good guys. Good luck!
Reply Quote
good guide, after reading this guide i do some minor changes on gear now able to KO uber with my current stat. Now looking for 200k DPS :)

60k hp, 5100amor, 700AR, 187k Dps, 1900LOH, 731k EHP
Edited by Trix#6135 on 10/27/2013 8:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
Grats Trix. Your build looked very similar to mine prior to BoA patch. You will notice that BT amulet cant roll the Trifecta with main stat so if you are looking for more DPS you may need to switch that out eventually. If you do that you can put on BT pants and get the set bonus and keep your eHP and LOH since its hard pressed to roll a great DPS amulet with LOH. Regardless nice work on downing the ubers with your build.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
thanks CaptainCarl, thanks for your suggestion at another tread so i also do some changes on build while fighting uber :) now trying to craft some good amulet but still no luck on it
Reply Quote
Video is up.

http://youtu.be/bh8nhkr0fYE
Reply Quote
View profile
Video is up.

http://youtu.be/bh8nhkr0fYE

Nice!

If that EP hit would have been GG :D

Excellent run with only 113K DPS. No doubt you can take em down.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
Thanks.

103k DPS =3

Video took 8 hours to upload, I'd do it over again correctly this time, but I don't think I can sit and wait for it to upload.
Reply Quote
good guide, after reading this guide i do some minor changes on gear now able to KO uber with my current stat. Now looking for 200k DPS :)

@trix put your fastest weapon on your mh (relentless assault), should help improve your loh efficiency. Also higher ave dmg weapon on the mh also help for with bell builds. (in your case also relentless assault). Have fun!

10/23/2013 03:37 PMPosted by BladeMaster
Thanks for the different build options everyone I will add them into the op tonight at work. If anyone has a video of them taking down ubers that they want to share please do.

I can help with one video probably sometime later in the week. Need to farm for keys...I hate farming...lol. Which build you guys more interested in seeing? Stun bell, normal cookie, cookie bell (empowered wave) are all viable. I will do one build and fellow monks can each do a different one(there shld be many other builds) so we have varieties and no one needs to spend too much IM doing the videos.

Conclusion: LOH may not be as efficient/gd as LS, but it is still viable for d3 end game content. (eg: mp10 ubers). A cheaper alternative option especially gd for ppl like me who prefer to not spend a single cent on gears to consider. Good day!
Reply Quote
Post any build. We're trying to take ubers down with LoH, particularly SB/Kulle.
Stun bells may lock them in and can accomplish.
Reply Quote
Concerning build #1

Serenity is overrated, unless of course you're playing HC. Pacifism provides a good amount of survivability for freezes/stuns/fears already. Blinding Light can also be used defensively when needed.

Switching it out for Breath of Heaven would provide better DPS. This is the build I'm currently using. What makes this build very sexy is once your eHP gets good enough, you can drop Seize the Initiative for Guiding Light. 35% increased damage? Yes please.
Edited by DeZa#1308 on 10/27/2013 10:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Guiding Light is a group skill only. Breath of Heaven could does raise DPS, but you'll know you'll need Serenity...when you don't have it.

And you're build relies on Life Steal; we are looking for LoH builds to get ready for the upcoming LS nerf at level 70 cap.

Q: "Why do you carry all those weapons, do you need them all?"

A: "If I didn't bring them, I know I would."
Reply Quote
[quote]good guide, after reading this guide i do some minor changes on gear now able to KO uber with my current stat. Now looking for 200k DPS :)

@trix put your fastest weapon on your mh (relentless assault), should help improve your loh efficiency. Also higher ave dmg weapon on the mh also help for with bell builds. (in your case also relentless assault). Have fun!

will try it tonight, thanks for sharing :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]